OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I am one of these technic lovers, and deeply hate CCBS. or as I call it, skeleball.

I see no reason it shouldn't come back. it was a great system, personally.

The old system is worse than CCBS in almost every aspect. Some might find it visually less appealing because of the smoother look of the new shells, wich is purely subjective. But other than that, I really can't find any major flaws in the system.

CCBS is ugly and simple. The building process is pretty much the same for most things. And some of the protectors might have elbows if they used the old pre-bent Matoran limbs.

Edited by bioniclepluslotr
  • Upvote 1

The building process is pretty much the same for most things.

And these totally weren't just the same set over and over again.

And some of the protectors might have elbows if they used the old pre-bent Matoran limbs.

I can't believe someone is actually praising the idea of prebent limbs.

Edited by Wally
  • Upvote 7

And some of the protectors might have elbows if they used the old pre-bent Matoran limbs.

I can't believe someone is actually praising the idea of prebent limbs.

I don't know why, but I agree with him yo.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

And there were plenty more that weren't. Look at the big sets. The XL HF sets built pretty similarly to the regular ones. Dragon Bolt used the same limb construction as humanoid figures. With old Bionicle, there was actually variety. Every new Toa uses the same torso (also, every new set uses the same torsos). Every set has solid black skeletons (save for a few trans limbs), and every set uses the same shell in 3 sizes.

I know I will probably get a lot of flak for this, but I think CCBS is a good system, and probably a better choice for future sets for several reasons:

1. The parts are much more durable than before, and provide a good foundation for a model to be built.
  2. For up-and-coming MOC makers, the system helps ease a person into making MOCs and other customizations of at least some quality.
  3. Some backwards-compatibiliy with the old system.
  4. Lasting friction between joints.
  5. Being able to pose a figure without restrictions from armor and making figures somewhat anatomically proportionate (I'm looking at you, canister-sized Mata Nui...).

I first used the system in LDD when the HF Recon Team was brand new. At that time, I didn't really like the system because I thought it limited any real design possibilities. This was just my misconception, as I was an LDD newbie back then and had no idea how to make models in the program function and pose properly.

My first time to use the system physically came when I got a few of the early Brain Attack sets. After getting more CCBS sets, I fell in love with the system and how it made MOCing seem so easy. I was coming up with new designs in just a few minutes with CCBS, whereas a design using strictly Technics and Bionicle took me days, weeks, and even months to perfect. Now, all of my MOCs have at least some form of CCBS used, whether it is used for a single purpose or for multiple portions.

Let me say this: To anyone who dislikes CCBS and has not used the system as of today, go try it out; it won't hurt, and you won't be let down if you do.

Also, stop saying the sets look bad. AT LEAST THE SETS EXIST! I hate it when people get excited over something and then immediately complain about the negative aspects of it. I mean, what would newcomers to the Bionicle community think of all the negative comments being thrown around? If younger fans see only the negatives, they will be turned off and move on to something else, because no one wants to be a part of something that no one else gives any interest in.

• Upvote 4

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

And there were plenty more that weren't. Look at the big sets. The XL HF sets built pretty similarly to the regular ones. Dragon Bolt used the same limb construction as humanoid figures. With old Bionicle, there was actually variety. Every new Toa uses the same torso (also, every new set uses the same torsos). Every set has solid black skeletons (save for a few trans limbs), and every set uses the same shell in 3 sizes.

The only Bionicle sets with leg construction that wasn't just the normal construction except with the upper legs cobbled out of technic were Takanuva and Toa Mata Nui, who were only that way because they were too big to use one of the pre-molded lower leg pieces. Otherwise, lower legs at least, they were much the same build. The limb variety was a false variety; the build itself was more or less the same, just with different pieces molded for the same purpose. CCBS changes this by having limb pieces that can be a variety of lengths, which can then be augmented by a variety and shells and addons to make different shapes/textures.

And after 2006 there were definitely not "plenty more" sets that weren't more or less the same building experience. Only the Barraki and first wave of Glatorian were a significant enough departure from the Inika/Piraka build to not feel the same.

The skeleton is just that: a skeleton. Even old Bionicle would sometimes make a torso piece in black because it was going to be covered by armor anyway, so making it a neutral color saves them having to make it in too many colors for their budget. The shells provide more than enough color to make up for that. (Maybe not so much on the smaller sets, where there's not so much "color", persay, but I digress.) Every set uses the shells in different arrangements, with different proportions, and gives a much more satisfying variety than wave after wave of Inika clone ever would have.

Also, stop saying the sets look bad. AT LEAST THE SETS EXIST! I hate it when people get excited over something and then immediately complain about the negative aspects of it. I mean, what would newcomers to the Bionicle community think of all the negative comments being thrown around? If younger fans see only the negatives, they will be turned off and move on to something else, because no one wants to be a part of something that no one else gives any interest in.

Now this, I can't agree with. If someone has a criticism, it should not be silenced for the sake of preventing negativity. If someone has a rebuttal to that criticism, then they can voice it, but a criticism should be allowed to be voiced. It's all part of a healthy discourse. You can't force someone to like something just for the sake of positivity.

• Upvote 6

Nice one bro! :D Which set is your favorite?

Of the Toa, I feel like Tahu has the most to him. Protector of Jungle is probably my favorite of that group. I ended up being pleasantly surprised by the LoSS too.

Cool!  Lol I've grown tired of my Tahu ever since having him since October. But now that I have all of the Toa together, I feel that Tahu and Onua stand out to me as favorites. The Protector of Jungle is pretty cool too, hes my favorite from that group as well. Lord of Skull Spiders is ehh to me atleast. But it does remind me of the '01 Rahi sorta so thats cool too! :D

Now this, I can't agree with. If someone has a criticism, it should not be silenced for the sake of preventing negativity. If someone has a rebuttal to that criticism, then they can voice it, but a criticism should be allowed to be voiced. It's all part of a healthy discourse. You can't force someone to like something just for the sake of positivity.

I'm not saying that criticism isn't welcome (after all, criticism never hurts), but I've just been seeing negativity toward Bionicle 2015 in so many places. It just gets frustrating after seeing it for so long that I just needed to vent a little. When I was in grade school, it was frowned upon to even enjoy anything Bionicle had to offer, but I enjoyed every single sliver of content. It was my only real source of pleasure as a child, and I understand that my viewpoint grants me no right to put an end to the views of others. I just want the community to come together and say that they are happy with the return of the line and not rip it to shreds like they did with The Phantom Menace (and to put another nail in, that's my favorite Star Wars movie. Not saying it for spite, but honestly).

• Upvote 1

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

CCBS is great, and though I can see the negatives of some parts, its positives outweigh them. When I look at these new sets, they feel like Bionicle and not HF, and that's super important and great. Perhaps the system isn't perfect yet, but it's developing. Compare these new awesome sets to the original 2.0 hero's which were super plain and made simply to introduce the system; it's always developing and making new useful parts to get better. If anything, it's a more developed and good version of the inika build, which was also simple. I feel around that point Lego realized that they wanted a simpler and more centralized build system for constraction.

In terms of the gold on the sets: I'm actually not a huge fan of it and wish that it was replace with other colors that fit the bigger toa's color schemes better. The gold can be pretty overpowering and doesn't fit super well with some of the toa, like especially Kopaka. Tahu is the only one where it works very well and doesn't need to be changed in my eyes (plus it would make sense since he's the team leader).

Pohatu, now that I own him, I can say is sadly pretty lackluster in comparison to the others. Even Lewa and Gali have extra great appeals to them, but Pohatu feels over-simple and not as special in my eyes. This is mostly caused by how short he is next to the others and how open his top is; they should've added something interesting there in my opinion. But I actually like his color scheme a lot more than I thought I would!

Anyone know if NJ has the sets yet? I plan on getting them in the next week or two.

They should be out in a week or too. Check the Jersey Garden mall, they'll be there at the Lego Store by next week. Also the Toys R Us near IKEA. :)

CCBS is great, and though I can see the negatives of some parts, its positives outweigh them. When I look at these new sets, they feel like Bionicle and not HF, and that's super important and great. Perhaps the system isn't perfect yet, but it's developing. Compare these new awesome sets to the original 2.0 hero's which were super plain and made simply to introduce the system; it's always developing and making new useful parts to get better. If anything, it's a more developed and good version of the inika build, which was also simple. I feel around that point Lego realized that they wanted a simpler and more centralized build system for constraction.

In terms of the gold on the sets: I'm actually not a huge fan of it and wish that it was replace with other colors that fit the bigger toa's color schemes better. The gold can be pretty overpowering and doesn't fit super well with some of the toa, like especially Kopaka. Tahu is the only one where it works very well and doesn't need to be changed in my eyes (plus it would make sense since he's the team leader).

Pohatu, now that I own him, I can say is sadly pretty lackluster in comparison to the others. Even Lewa and Gali have extra great appeals to them, but Pohatu feels over-simple and not as special in my eyes. This is mostly caused by how short he is next to the others and how open his top is; they should've added something interesting there in my opinion. But I actually like his color scheme a lot more than I thought I would!

I agree with everything you said especially the Pohatu part. I feel that he really isnt worth the 15 dollar price point.

Edited by AdaptingChaos

I wish someone on this board lived in Utah, so I wouldn't have to waste time search for the figures.  :blushlaugh:  :censored:  :dazed:

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Anyone know if NJ has the sets yet? I plan on getting them in the next week or two.

Yep, I got mine in NJ, at the Toys R Us near the Ikea and mall, but sorry, I got the last Kopaka. :P Maybe they'll restock!

Edited by Banana Gunz

Yep, I got mine in NJ, at the Toys R Us near the Ikea and mall, but sorry, I got the last Kopaka. :P Maybe they'll restock!

(Errrrr... taking Kopaka from me...) 

:burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:

Lol jk, I will hopefully find them eventually.

Also, how does it look to put Pohatu's shoulders up by one pinhole? The way it looks normally in photos is just jarring to me, so if someone can do this, cool; if not, I can do it myself when I get the set.

I know I will probably get a lot of flak for this, but I think CCBS is a good system, and probably a better choice for future sets for several reasons:

1. The parts are much more durable than before, and provide a good foundation for a model to be built.
  2. For up-and-coming MOC makers, the system helps ease a person into making MOCs and other customizations of at least some quality.
  3. Some backwards-compatibiliy with the old system.
  4. Lasting friction between joints.
  5. Being able to pose a figure without restrictions from armor and making figures somewhat anatomically proportionate (I'm looking at you, canister-sized Mata Nui...).

I first used the system in LDD when the HF Recon Team was brand new. At that time, I didn't really like the system because I thought it limited any real design possibilities. This was just my misconception, as I was an LDD newbie back then and had no idea how to make models in the program function and pose properly.

My first time to use the system physically came when I got a few of the early Brain Attack sets. After getting more CCBS sets, I fell in love with the system and how it made MOCing seem so easy. I was coming up with new designs in just a few minutes with CCBS, whereas a design using strictly Technics and Bionicle took me days, weeks, and even months to perfect. Now, all of my MOCs have at least some form of CCBS used, whether it is used for a single purpose or for multiple portions.

Let me say this: To anyone who dislikes CCBS and has not used the system as of today, go try it out; it won't hurt, and you won't be let down if you do.

"Complaining" can be helpful. Constructive criticism can help steer manufacturers on the right path, because... well, they're being told what their customers like.

The problem is that, yes, most of the recent criticism is VERY negative and even counter productive. Most of the complaints I've heard about the new figures amounts to "They use Hero Factory parts."

Screw that. That's a terrible mindset to have. If any of you don't personally like the system, fine, it's not your thing. But don't demand that lego scrap the entire building system altogether because you personally can't wrap your mind around it. It's a great system.

I've gotten my hands on Tahu, Lewa, and Phohatu, and let me tell you guys now, they are AMAZING to have in hand. So many features, so many parts, and YES... they LOOK great. We're not even just talking about great set design at this point, we're talking about great CHARACTER design, and these things are oozing character out of every square inch. Lego really brought their A-game when designing these. They blow Hero Factory out of the water. They can't even be compared, or at least shouldn't.

What is with people and wanting Bionicle parts to be like classic bricks? Bionicle isn't classic legos, those of you who think Lego is nothing more than bricks and yellow skins need to stop, please. That's one of the reasons I left euro bricks.

The point is that they were trying to make something that wasn't so hyper-specialized. They wanted to make a new building system that was all about customization, and yes, simplicity. They wanted to make pieces that WORKED like legos, in terms of applicability and how versatile they are.

• Upvote 6

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

What is with people and wanting Bionicle parts to be like classic bricks? Bionicle isn't classic legos, those of you who think Lego is nothing more than bricks and yellow skins need to stop, please. That's one of the reasons I left euro bricks.

The reason we want LEGO elements to be like other LEGO elements is because being able to build your own unique LEGO creations is at the core of every LEGO product, even constraction lines. If it wasn't, they wouldn't have held any of the numerous building contests they did for Bionicle. And having a clear, consistent building system with a consistent aesthetic is an excellent way to make it easier for someone to do their own thing with it.

Why you want Bionicle to be nothing but action figures you snap together once and never touch again is beyond me; that's not really in the spirit of any LEGO product. They even made an entire movie about people who do that kind of thing.

• Upvote 6

But how is one supost to make a certain design with so generalized parts. Kinda hard to make a biomechanicle figure with smooth plates. Say I want to make a beast that has a very gearish look, and a rider that looks more like a inika Toa . You cand do that with generalized parts, as they will both look the same. And did I tell you I'm not a fan if TLM, or that when I make a MOC, I keep it together.

Edited by ToaSalvus

But how is one supost to make a certain design with so generalized parts. Kinda hard to make a biomechanicle figure with smooth plates.

A robot with a smooth, shelled exterior? Inconceivable! (Besides, they have plenty of detailing thanks to the new add-on combined with some older pieces that also have detailing, such as the BA chestplate)

And could you honestly look at the new Toa and say there is nothing distinct about their designs? Their proportions, colors, and piece choice all come together to make distinct figures.

• Upvote 3

@NickonAquaMagna, thank you for your understanding.

I'm just thinking of the newcomers in this situation. I would want them to enjoy Bionicle now the same way that we all did before, without getting bombarded by how the sets are "bad" or how the "story is too simple".

I was originally going to outline my thoughts on the CCBS controversy, but now I think I will outline my thoughts on the Bionicle 2015 controversy as a whole.

Also, @ToaSalvus, I encourage you to check out my imgur for some designs that I have made using CCBS, and check out some MOCs from other people while you're at it.

I think that some of your are overlooking just how unique and inspired Pohatu's design actually is. His legs are made to mirror iron boots, which represent the kicking fighting style he was known for in the olden days. His frame isn't bulky like the other Toa, but the whole point is to portray a runner, not a big brute. If you took someone from a track team, there's a good chance they're going to be rather slender compared to your football players. Since they went with inspiration it meant that yes, his build would appear basic if you don't see the whole reason in the first place for it, but looking at the character himself it makes a lot of sense and then you start to appreciate and like his build a lot more. It truly is unique when you're not expecting shoulder armor or some other obscure thing that the other toa have, in fact, since he doesn't have the things the others have, he is technically the most unique out of the six. It all depends on whether you want to put an analytical spin on life, or if you want to dig deeper and find the artistic side of things. 

• Upvote 1

Because classic LEGO bricks are timeless, and they are versatile, and they are a big part of why LEGO is the most successful toy company in the world. BIONICLE will never stop being the red-headed stepchild of the LEGO brand portfolio if it actively rejects the design principles that have given the LEGO brand such profound and universal appeal.

That doesn't mean there's no place for new innovations in the LEGO brand. Things like the LEGO Friends mini-doll, or the Ninjago spinners, or even the BIONICLE theme have all enriched the LEGO brand experience and pushed it to new heights. But the best innovations are those which provide a play and building experience which is consistent with LEGO brand values, and that includes the CCBS.

I think that some of your are overlooking just how unique and inspired Pohatu's design actually is. His legs are made to mirror iron boots, which represent the kicking fighting style he was known for in the olden days. His frame isn't bulky like the other Toa, but the whole point is to portray a runner, not a big brute. If you took someone from a track team, there's a good chance they're going to be rather slender compared to your football players. Since they went with inspiration it meant that yes, his build would appear basic if you don't see the whole reason in the first place for it, but looking at the character himself it makes a lot of sense and then you start to appreciate and like his build a lot more. It truly is unique when you're not expecting shoulder armor or some other obscure thing that the other toa have, in fact, since he doesn't have the things the others have, he is technically the most unique out of the six. It all depends on whether you want to put an analytical spin on life, or if you want to dig deeper and find the artistic side of things.

I definitely love the new Pohatu for his unique proportions, but at the same time I do think it's a pity that his piece count is so small, and that he doesn't offer much in terms of his building experience that you wouldn't get from the other Toa. I'm not sure what changes might have helped in these respects without detracting from his lean, athletic look, but I do think it seems like there's room for improvement.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 6

(Errrrr... taking Kopaka from me...) 

:burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:  :burnmad:

Lol jk, I will hopefully find them eventually.

Also, how does it look to put Pohatu's shoulders up by one pinhole? The way it looks normally in photos is just jarring to me, so if someone can do this, cool; if not, I can do it myself when I get the set.

LOL

Anyways Pohatu's shoulders actually do look better when placed slightly higher, in fact I might just keep them like this now. Makes him look a little more buff! And his gear function works perfectly fine with the change. Part of the problem is just how short he is in general without any friction extenders or slightly longer leg bones. I don't expect him to be a giant, but he's pretty small in comparison to the others. Maybe it's not really that bad, but he might look better in my eyes if he had a slight boost.

I'm also a little annoyed by how Lewa's head gets such little articulation and his mask pop off function doesn't work most of the time because of how high his gear box is. It's a bit of a trade off because he looks great, but it's still a little upsetting.

You know, I only get star wars and old bionicle sets, the rest of my collection is megablok halo and transformers. And I don't tear apart sets once I make them, the same goes for mocs.

Question: does Megabloks have a dedicated fan site, similar to BZP? I need a fall-back plan if I don't like any of the 2015 Lego sets, besides Bionicle.

• Upvote 2

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

The reason we want LEGO elements to be like other LEGO elements is because being able to build your own unique LEGO creations is at the core of every LEGO product, even constraction lines. If it wasn't, they wouldn't have held any of the numerous building contests they did for Bionicle. And having a clear, consistent building system with a consistent aesthetic is an excellent way to make it easier for someone to do their own thing with it.

Why you want Bionicle to be nothing but action figures you snap together once and never touch again is beyond me; that's not really in the spirit of any LEGO product. They even made an entire movie about people who do that kind of thing.

I found that concept to be offensive. Just because I don't rip apart a set every ten minutes doesn't mean I'm evil.

Anyways Pohatu's shoulders actually do look better when placed slightly higher, in fact I might just keep them like this now. Makes him look a little more buff! And his gear function works perfectly fine with the change. Part of the problem is just how short he is in general without any friction extenders or slightly longer leg bones. I don't expect him to be a giant, but he's pretty small in comparison to the others. Maybe it's not really that bad, but he might look better in my eyes if he had a slight boost.

Pohatu is actually around the same height as Onua, which I personally like. He and Onua were the shortest Toa in 2001 and 2002, so it's nice that the 2015 versions of the characters maintain that relative height. If I were to change anything about Pohatu, I'd probably still leave his height alone.

I found that concept to be offensive. Just because I don't rip apart a set every ten minutes doesn't mean I'm evil.

Nobody ever said you were. There's no one right way to play with LEGO. But still, LEGO is intended to allow for creative building for those who do enjoy it, so a building system that was not optimized for systematic creativity would be inconsistent with LEGO design values. Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

LOL

I'm also a little annoyed by how Lewa's head gets such little articulation and his mask pop off function doesn't work most of the time because of how high his gear box is. It's a bit of a trade off because he looks great, but it's still a little upsetting.

Thanks. Pohatu's shoulders just looked droopy to me. Just a nitpick! :)

Also, anyone else notice that some of the Protecters have a higher parts count than Pohatu?

• Upvote 1

All of the Toa are the most unique they've been in years.  Sure they have some similarities, but as far as weapons, mask designs, armor, and functionality goes, they all have something that makes them special.

I love the new CCBS System. It's easier to use and it's more sturdier. People who want to keep the old system should just stick to the old sets. Even then, they are practically the same so I don't see why we need to have two different sides.

• Upvote 2

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

You know, I only get star wars and old bionicle sets, the rest of my collection is megablok halo and transformers. And I don't tear apart sets once I make them, the same goes for mocs.

Question: does Megabloks have a dedicated fan site, similar to BZP? I need a fall-back plan if I don't like any of the 2015 Lego sets, besides Bionicle.

I believe there is, and also some specializing in certain themes, like halo.

I know how you feel, Lego is really going down hill this coming year.

All right, look, let's not make a thing out of this again...

We know you're not a bad guy. However unintentional you may say it is, though, you are VERY dismissive of a building system that a lot of other people enjoy. That on its own isn't so bad, but you seem to dismiss those very people for enjoying it, as if they aren't a "true" Bionicle fan like you are, all for purely personal reasons that only apply in your own personal bubble. So while you may try to make it sound like you're the hero of this story, OF COURSE people are going to make you the bad guy.

You may not enjoy trying new things now and then, but don't act like anyone who does is stupid just because you don't understand it.

Edited by NickonAquaMagna
  • Upvote 2

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

On the flip-side of the same coin, CCBS isn't most likely going to be a permanent thing. I suspect we're going to see something that's a mixture of Techic & CCBS within the foreseeable future? If that makes any sense. 

Oh the CCBS is going to be pretty permanent thing. Lego has stated multiple times that the new system is here to stay. And I don't really see what you mean by a mixture of Technic & CCBS within the forseeable future, since that's pretty much what we're already getting.

Can you read palms too?

No, I was simply stating the obvious. Lego employees have said multiple times that the CCBS will be used in Constraction from now on and that they don't have any plans to change that. And the new Bionicle sets already have more technic in them than most figures in G1's later years.

• Upvote 2

Hail Denmark

I know how you feel, Lego is really going down hill this coming year.

OH, GIVE ME A BREAK!!

"I don't like the new sets, so nobody else should, and if they do they're stupid! I'm the man in charge who decides these things! ME,ME,ME!"

Just... stick your head out of your personal bubble and look around for just a moment! Try to understand how other people feel, PLEASE!

At this rate, I'm gonna lose proto just for getting all riled up over this...

• Upvote 1

Getting really sick of people accusing me of hating skeleball because I don't understand/know how to use it. I do, and I don't like it. I tried it and didn't like the taste. Ok?

Well, I used to think it was kinda so-so too. Once the novelty of the 2.0 figures wore off, I didn't think there was much more you could do with this, but I was dead wrong. There's SO much you can do with it. You just aren't willing to try, or rather, keep trying. I get it, it's new and unfamiliar and strange to you... but that doesn't make it bad.