OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Since we're going slightly off topic, I gotta ask: is the Premier Membership really worth $40.50, even for a lifetime?

I got tell Midnight to decided, 'cause that's when I get paid. 

There's already a thread for that very discussion.

Oh, yeah. I remember I commented on that.  :begging:

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I've been thinking about Makuta recently. The story so far does not present him as evil, merely misguided and corrupted. However, he still appears to fulfill the role of the main antagonist, and that bothered me for some reason. But then I started thinking of other recent Lego themes with storylines. Because in reality, Lego doesn't deal much in really evil main villains it turns out. Ninjago in particular stood out. At first Lord Garmadon was simply presented as a bad guy, but then the second story arc retconned him into getting bit by an evil snake, which is what turned him evil in the first place (Ninjago isn't....very good when it comes to retcons) and eventually, the heroes managed to defeat him in such a way as to free him from the evil...ness, after which he became an important ally. Bionicle cut out the waiting period on getting a reason for the evil, since we have the MoUP as a corrupting force. Of course, it remains to be seen what role the Mask Makers will have, but from where I stand I think it's likely that eventually both will become allies of the Toa. (other Lego stories often end up that way, too. Chima's antagonists end up being buds with the good guys every single time, and even TLM had all the bad guys as, well, not bad really.) So who knows. Just a thought. 

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

I think that the mask corrupting him actually represents what was already inside of him to begin with. He became jealous and began to hate his brother for all the fame and glory he received, those are not the qualities of a good character. In fact, he's the Scar to Ekimu's Mufasa. Both become power hungry and jealous of their brother. The MoUP in a way brings out the evil that has existed within him all along. You could actually say that MAKUTA is what makes the mask evil, and that without Makuta the mask is just a powerful elemental artifact. The darkness of Makuta's heart is what corrupts it, and is probably also why darkness has started to overtake Okoto. The mask and him are now one.

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic
  • Upvote 1

I've been thinking about Makuta recently. The story so far does not present him as evil, merely misguided and corrupted. However, he still appears to fulfill the role of the main antagonist, and that bothered me for some reason. But then I started thinking of other recent Lego themes with storylines. Because in reality, Lego doesn't deal much in really evil main villains it turns out. Ninjago in particular stood out. At first Lord Garmadon was simply presented as a bad guy, but then the second story arc retconned him into getting bit by an evil snake, which is what turned him evil in the first place (Ninjago isn't....very good when it comes to retcons) and eventually, the heroes managed to defeat him in such a way as to free him from the evil...ness, after which he became an important ally. Bionicle cut out the waiting period on getting a reason for the evil, since we have the MoUP as a corrupting force. Of course, it remains to be seen what role the Mask Makers will have, but from where I stand I think it's likely that eventually both will become allies of the Toa. (other Lego stories often end up that way, too. Chima's antagonists end up being buds with the good guys every single time, and even TLM had all the bad guys as, well, not bad really.) So who knows. Just a thought. 

And of course, one of the unfulfilled plans for Gen1 was for Makuta to be another misguided but well-meaning cog in Mata Nui's machinery. So I shan't be surprised if he becomes an ally of the Toa at some point. My suspicion is that the main enemies will be the prototypes of Okoto's villagers, the Skull Spiders being the prima acie. Perhaps their bizarre apperence is more than camoflauge.

• Upvote 1

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

I can easily see Makuta as not being the evil that he was last time, but rather someone who was jealous of his brother and then corrupted by the Mask of Ultimate Power (you know what they say about absolute power).  I don't expect to see a redemption before the end of the planned 3-year run, but if it does happen it'll be interesting to see what the next arc will have if the line is extended.

(Brings to mind Princess Luna of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, with her jealousy and subsequent transformation into Nightmare Moon being the plot of the first two episodes.)

OpAXNpl.jpg

At first Lord Garmadon was simply presented as a bad guy, but then the second story arc retconned him into getting bit by an evil snake, which is what turned him evil in the first place (Ninjago isn't....very good when it comes to retcons) and eventually, the heroes managed to defeat him in such a way as to free him from the evil...ness, after which he became an important ally.

How is Garmadon getting bitten by a snake considered a retcon? All they had ever said before was that he was "consumed by darkness", which doesn't seem to contradict the snake bite thing.

And yeah, I wonder if Makuta is going to wind up as an ally in the future. (Probably in 2018, if the story gets extended beyond 2017.)

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

At first Lord Garmadon was simply presented as a bad guy, but then the second story arc retconned him into getting bit by an evil snake, which is what turned him evil in the first place (Ninjago isn't....very good when it comes to retcons) and eventually, the heroes managed to defeat him in such a way as to free him from the evil...ness, after which he became an important ally.

How is Garmadon getting bitten by a snake considered a retcon? All they had ever said before was that he was "consumed by darkness", which doesn't seem to contradict the snake bite thing.

And yeah, I wonder if Makuta is going to wind up as an ally in the future. (Probably in 2018, if the story gets extended beyond 2017.)

It's a retcon in its simplest meaning, simply a bit retroactive continuity, something added to explain something that was probably not at first intended. Although retcon is usually used to describe changing something in the canon, it can also be used to describe any alteration of the canon for the purposes of accomodating other things. (for instance, writing new content into a character or world's backstory. it doesn't have to contradict or specifically change the past, just add new things into it. it's something ninjago does a lot.) In that case, it retconned the Serpentine into the history of the Ninjago world and Garmadon's own arc. It doesn't necessarily always imply changing things. 

Unrelated, but a coincidence also maybe worth noting (and something I meant to mention in my previous post) this first year of Bionicle has skull minions, kinda similar to how Ninjago had skeletons in its first year. 2016 Bionicle should totally be snakes. 2017, statues. And in 2019, robots! Wait. Uh. 

Edited by farmstink buttlass
  • Upvote 3

AXKP5KC.png

It's a retcon in its simplest meaning, simply a bit retroactive continuity, something added to explain something that was probably not at first intended. Although retcon is usually used to describe changing something in the canon, it can also be used to describe any alteration of the canon for the purposes of accomodating other things. (for instance, writing new content into a character or world's backstory. it doesn't have to contradict or specifically change the past, just add new things into it. it's something ninjago does a lot.) In that case, it retconned the Serpentine into the history of the Ninjago world and Garmadon's own arc. It doesn't necessarily always imply changing things. 

Unrelated, but a coincidence also maybe worth noting (and something I meant to mention in my previous post) this first year of Bionicle has skull minions, kinda similar to how Ninjago had skeletons in its first year. 2016 Bionicle should totally be snakes. 2017, statues. And in 2019, robots! Wait. Uh. 

I guess 2019 will have evil Toa. :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I build Kopaka today and the Protector of Ice yesterday. And I will say that both their sets are really cool. B-)

Kopaka has a great torso build, just like Tahu. I really like how his armor looks his chest, arms, and legs. His weapons are good too. I would even say that I like them more than Tahu's, and so far he is my favorite 2015 set!

His shoulder armor can get in the way of his left arm when moving it with his gear function, which I do think is a little annoying. Also, I think that he has too much gold on the upper half of his body. Its looks okay when he is wearing his white mask, but when he has the gold one on his color scheme is thrown off IMO. But I still think he is a great set and I don't regret getting him at all. :)

As for the Protector of Ice, he is actually the only Protector I have bought so far. And I can see now how easy it is to lose the ammo for his weapon. Those projectiles are really small! :P

As for the set itself, he too has a good build, especially for a small set. One of the main reasons I picked him up is because of his color scheme, which flows very well together IMO. (I would argue that it is better than Kopaka's) His mask and weapons look great as well. Even though he is the only Protector I have, he is probably my favorite Protector out of all of them. Time will tell if that changes though. :)

The next sets I want to get are Onua, Gali, and the Protector of Fire. Though I would settle for Lewa and Pohatu if I found them first. It depends on which sets my local Target has the next time I visit it.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Went to another Target today and the Lego section was a mess. Boxes were all over the place and I couldn't find any sign of any Bionicle products...

Until I saw a slightly bent Tahu box just laying there amid the ruins. I grabbed that so fast.

He's a fun build considering I've never built anything like him before (never got any Hero Factory sets), and I cannot stress how happy I am that the gears have returned.

Anyways, is it confirmed that Bionicle will return to comics again?

TAK

[MNOLG The Movie Website]

rsz_1onua1024.png
Need to start a poll? Or start a topic in Games & Trivia? PM me!

Went to another Target today and the Lego section was a mess. Boxes were all over the place and I couldn't find any sign of any Bionicle products...

Until I saw a slightly bent Tahu box just laying there amid the ruins. I grabbed that so fast.

He's a fun build considering I've never built anything like him before (never got any Hero Factory sets), and I cannot stress how happy I am that the gears have returned.

TAK

Nope. Nothing has been mentioned besides regular books.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

TAK

Nope. Nothing has been mentioned besides regular books.

Alright that's cool then. The books do a better job of chronicling the saga anyways.  :)

TAK

Edited by Toa TAK

[MNOLG The Movie Website]

rsz_1onua1024.png
Need to start a poll? Or start a topic in Games & Trivia? PM me!

Random question that was probably answered forever ago but is just coming to mind now: how do the Skull Spider legs compare to the Savage Planet claws in terms of size?  They look very similar in design but the new ones look like they're longer.

pretty much the same size

just a thicker end

Well, I'd say they're maybe half a module longer. I think it could be very cool to create a model that uses the new claws as fingers and the old claw as a thumb.

• Upvote 1

Someone needs to tell the folks at BS01 that the Lego Bionicle Mini-Magazine called the jungle-related masks "Mask of ___", not "___ Mask". :P

That's the beauty of a Wiki. You can go do that yourself. ;)

So basically just throw it up there with all the other spelling and grammar translation snafus the site's still rife with. Still odd that it alone stood out consistently.

---

Still don't have any sets myself nor have I been able to look. But that's fine. I think I've decided to take a slow and steady approach anyways.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Random question that was probably answered forever ago but is just coming to mind now: how do the Skull Spider legs compare to the Savage Planet claws in terms of size?  They look very similar in design but the new ones look like they're longer.

just a thicker end

Well, I'd say they're maybe half a module longer. I think it could be very cool to create a model that uses the new claws as fingers and the old claw as a thumb.

huh i guess they are slightly longer. i probably should have removed the claw from the skull spider so i could make a more accurate comparison.

Someone needs to tell the folks at BS01 that the Lego Bionicle Mini-Magazine called the jungle-related masks "Mask of ___", not "___ Mask". :P

The new mini-magazine isn't even consistent itself. It refers to Lewa's mask as "Mask of Jungle" but then on the next page calls his golden mask the "Golden Mask of the Jungle". It also calls him "Master of the Jungle" on the page for the golden masks, so I'm going to go ahead and say that just "Mask of Jungle" is probably more accurate.

GALI DROPS TOMORROW! As do the rest of the Toa! Should I bother getting the rest of the Protectors or LOSS?

I was only going to get the Toa, but they need something to fight other than small spiders. I might pick LOSS up. I have both the Water and Earth  Protectors, but that's it.

I personally really love the Protector of Jungle, both as a model and as a parts pack. I'd highly recommend him. Some of the other Protectors also look very nice.

I think the Lord of Skull Spiders looks interesting, and I'm definitely interested in getting it, but I'm not in any hurry. I think patience definitely has its merits. That way, you don't have to spend a whole lot of money at once or have such a lengthy hiatus between new LEGO purchases. Also, you can keep an eye open for good sales and deals. You wouldn't want to do all your BIONICLE purchasing right away and then discover a couple months from now that there's some exclusive BIONICLE polybag on shop.LEGO.com that you can only get during that month with a purchase of a certain size, after all!

GALI DROPS TOMORROW! As do the rest of the Toa! Should I bother getting the rest of the Protectors or LOSS?

I was only going to get the Toa, but they need something to fight other than small spiders. I might pick LOSS up. I have both the Water and Earth  Protectors, but that's it.

I actually plan on waiting for the new year to hit before looking for Gali and Onua again. Because 1) they may easier to find and 2) I don't have time to look for them until next week. :P

Anyways, as an owner of LOSS, I will say that I don't regret getting him. He has a really cool build and I think his gear function is pretty cool. His legs do look bare when one looks at him at certain angles though, and his head could've been built a little better IMO. But I still like him as a set and do recommend him. And even if you don't end up liking him, he does have a lot of good parts you could use. :)

As for Protectors, I only have the Ice Protector. But I recommend him as well. His color scheme looks awesome on him.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

just a thicker end

Heh, that's exactly the reason I was asking.  From the pictures I sort of thought they'd be a bit longer than that, but I guess that's decent enough.

OpAXNpl.jpg

So has anyone else had issues with the heads? I recently got Tahu and the Protector of fire (saw them in a store, didn't know Bionicle was returning and about had a heart attack), and despite being overall really solid sets, I have to say that the masks and head seem kind of obnoxious to me. I get that the eyes are supposed to trigger the mask to come off, but I find myself when moving the head accidentally knocking the mask off way too much. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing?

"When wisdom and valor fail, all that remain is faith, and it can overcome all." -Tahu

And I finally acquired Onua from my local Toys R Us!

Eminently poseable, especially given his size. I should think he'd do quite nicely on the disco-scene.

So has anyone else had issues with the heads? I recently got Tahu and the Protector of fire (saw them in a store, didn't know Bionicle was returning and about had a heart attack), and despite being overall really solid sets, I have to say that the masks and head seem kind of obnoxious to me. I get that the eyes are supposed to trigger the mask to come off, but I find myself when moving the head accidentally knocking the mask off way too much. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing?

I found them to be a bit tricky, at first. But once you get the hang of them, they're not too hard to keep on.

• Upvote 1

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Yes, because the mask barely connects to the head. It is FAR too easy for me to remove Kopaka's mask; I can barely pinch the scope and apply a tiny bit of force, and it will come off. I don't know if it affects all of the Master sets or if I just got unlucky, but I have heard a lot of people complaining about that. The Protectors' masks and Skull Spiders connect alright though.

Edited by Dark Blue

IetTsFQ.png

I haven't had any problems with my masks falling off. The only time they do though, is when I push down their brainstalk of course.

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

3ltqoVy.jpg

Can't even describe what it was like to go back to the same Toys R Us that I originally bought my first ever BIONICLE set at back in 2002, Gali Nuva, and see these on the shelves. I'm happy to say that Gali was also my first ever BIONICLE G2 set. TRU had all 13 sets, but split them between two different LEGO sections in the store.

fwWAvzL.jpg

Really excited to get the rest! I'm super impressed with how good Gali is. I was already expecting her to be one of the better 2015 sets, but it definitely exceeded my expectations. I would encourage anyone who is on the fence about whether or not these are worth it to spend the $15 or $20 and get one Toa set. They've absolutely done a better job than I ever could have imagined with the CCBS build. It really brought back good memories of building with the old system that I found has been absent from other CCBS constraction figures that I've built in recent years. Give it a try. You really can't make a fair judgment about these new sets until you've built one.

Edited by XONAR
  • Upvote 4
Bliss.png

http://i.imgur.com/3ltqoVy.jpg

Can't even describe what it was like to go back to the same Toys R Us that I originally bought my first ever BIONICLE set at back in 2002, Gali Nuva, and see these on the shelves. I'm happy to say that Gali was also my first ever BIONICLE G2 set. TRU had all 13 sets, but split them between two different LEGO sections in the store.

http://i.imgur.com/fwWAvzL.jpg

Really excited to get the rest! I'm super impressed with how good Gali is. I was already expecting her to be one of the better 2015 sets, but it definitely exceeded my expectations. I would encourage anyone who is on the fence about whether or not these are worth it to spend the $15 or $20 and get one Toa set. They've absolutely done a better job than I ever could have imagined with the CCBS build. It really brought back good memories of building with the old system that I found has been absent from other CCBS constraction figures that I've built in recent years. Give it a try. You really can't make a fair judgment about these new sets until you've built one.

Not sure if it was a personal choice on your part, but the instructions actually have you attach Gali's flippers the other way around, with the wider end in front (and have you leave all four of the yellow connectors on when you have them attached thusly). That way you can join them together into a mermaid-like tail fin! It's also more accurate to real flippers that way, since it lets you paddle with your toes.

Even so, that's a great photo! Gali is my favorite of the new Toa and it makes me happy to see how many other people also like her new design!

• Upvote 1

Announcement vid for the BIONICLE Battle for the Mask of Power App

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzzYEC9rXp0

Interesting, the narrator says that the Mask of Creation was used to unleash the army of Skull Spiders

Gameplay video here:

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva
  • Upvote 2

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

Interesting, the narrator says that the Mask of Creation was used to unleash the army of Skull Spiders

Gameplay video here:

Is it just me or does that game look like it's running on the same engine as legend of chima online? 

It's time to move on.

Gameplay video here:

Cool! Is it available? Is it only for Ipad, or will it be available for Iphone too?

The Chirox Codex

Chuck's Very Dead Comic Series

:smilehafu: This is my signature. Exciting, huh?  :ruru:

[Vid Wall]

Cool! Is it available? Is it only for Ipad, or will it be available for Iphone too?

Here's the Itunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/lego-bionicle-mask-creation/id944892554?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

"Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus." 

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."