A Prefix For Matoran Of Lightning

The original Toa names can be translated from Maori to become something related to the elements. So both in and out of story, the Toa Mata were named after their elements, not the other way around.After the whole Maori issue, LEGO began using "syllable mash" names, as I like to call them. Just invent a word, possibly based on another, then use that. Av-Matoran are named after the Kanohi Avokhii. If we translate some of the earlier Kanohi names, we actually get similar results as with the Toa: kaukau means "to swim, bathe", for example, while pakari is actually the Maori word for "strong, hard, muscular".Sonics is "De-" from "decibel" (English). "Fe-" is from the chemical symbol, which comes from feros ("iron") in Latin. Gravity has "Ba-" which comes from the Greek word for gravity: baros. Finally, Psionics is named "Ce-" after words relating to the human brain.Running with this, we can assume that most BIONICLE terms, invented or not, can be translated into English equivalents. "Kanohi Pakari" literally means "Mask of Strength". Seen in this light, it is a good theory that "Ni" relates to lightning somehow. While I doubt Maori has been used again, it would be interesting to search for the syllable in words relating to storms and electricity in other languages.Personally, I would prefer a better prefix, though. "Ni-" sounds a bit... off.

The original Toa names can be translated from Maori to become something related to the elements. So both in and out of story, the Toa Mata were named after their elements, not the other way around.After the whole Maori issue, LEGO began using "syllable mash" names, as I like to call them. Just invent a word, possibly based on another, then use that. Av-Matoran are named after the Kanohi Avokhii. If we translate some of the earlier Kanohi names, we actually get similar results as with the Toa: kaukau means "to swim, bathe", for example, while pakari is actually the Maori word for "strong, hard, muscular".Sonics is "De-" from "decibel" (English). "Fe-" is from the chemical symbol, which comes from feros ("iron") in Latin. Gravity has "Ba-" which comes from the Greek word for gravity: baros. Finally, Psionics is named "Ce-" after words relating to the human brain.Running with this, we can assume that most BIONICLE terms, invented or not, can be translated into English equivalents. "Kanohi Pakari" literally means "Mask of Strength". Seen in this light, it is a good theory that "Ni" relates to lightning somehow. While I doubt Maori has been used again, it would be interesting to search for the syllable in words relating to storms and electricity in other languages.Personally, I would prefer a better prefix, though. "Ni-" sounds a bit... off.

This is why I chose not to look up the words for lightning in Maori or Latin; I was simply trying to find a canonical prefix. Anyone could look up the Maori word for lightning. :PAnd I agree, it does sound a bit off. But there isn't much that can be done about that, I just put two-and-two together and came up with a logical prefix. Edited by Oni
oniban.png

Personally, I would prefer a better prefix, though. "Ni-" sounds a bit... off.

Agreed, it seems jarring. Might be because I keep reading it in the voice of the Knights Who Say "Ni!"...It also appears to be the only prefix with "i" in it. Everything else has "a", "e", "o", or in one case "u". It doesn't seem to fit the tone of the system in place....Although, the more I say it, the more it seems to fit. So forget all that, "Ni-" is probably as good as anything.~QMark Edited by QuestionMark

le-koro_concert.png

Talking Over an Ocean - Hahli and Amaya are best friends.

This is likely the best thought out idea for a matoran prefix I have ever heard. Although there are many ways to work around it, I think it's a good theory/idea.Now what I think would've cool is a topic discussing all these matoran Prefixes and possible matoran prefixes, such as Ka meaning energy.

Edited by Visaru

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

Inika does mean "power from a star," but isn't that power in the form of lightning? If I remember correctly, the word lightning was used several times in the novels, and the Inika's elemental bursts were "laced with lightning."On BS01 it says "their bodies were charged with lightning." I suspect that the "power from a star" translation just says were that lightning came from.

Despite that, "Inika" does not necessarily have any meaning regarding lightning. For example, the phrase "cold water from the sky" can imply that snow, rain, hail, or plenty of other forms of precipitation here falling from the heavens, just as "power from a star" doesn't tell us anything about the form of the power.Further, I thought that it might be helpful to point out that "ka" does not actually mean "power/energy" but rather "spirit." (Perhaps "ika" or "(i)n(i)" is "power." If "(i)n(i)" means "power," this would actually support the theory better.)~ BioGio
Yes, but it made much more sense for *ka=power/energy, so I chose to disregard the ka=spirit announcement. Also, if *(i)n(i)=power, then 'power-spirit' doesn't really suggest lightning, does it? (however, if *ka=power/energy and *ni=lightning, then it would be (whatever 'i' is)-lightning-energy, which might work...)

[No signature until I think of something witty]

In the meantime, why not visit my blog?