On the subject of gear boxes, do the new toa have enough force behind their function to actually knock each others masks off? Or is the "mask ejection" feature meant to stand alone from the gear box function?

The gearboxes DO have enough strength, but it has to be a VERY precise hit for the weapon to deliver the full strength of the gear function, which is made even more complex by the fact that many of the Toa like Lewa and Gali have shoulder armor that can block strikes from certain angles. So from a practical standpoint it's certainly not easy.

Would it make it easier to knock off the masks if you took out the friction gears?

Probably not. The friction gears don't really affect how easy it is to turn the back gear manually. They're only there to combat the force of gravity when the figure is posed, but they offer little resistance otherwise.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

On the subject of gear boxes, do the new toa have enough force behind their function to actually knock each others masks off? Or is the "mask ejection" feature meant to stand alone from the gear box function?

The gearboxes DO have enough strength, but it has to be a VERY precise hit for the weapon to deliver the full strength of the gear function, which is made even more complex by the fact that many of the Toa like Lewa and Gali have shoulder armor that can block strikes from certain angles. So from a practical standpoint it's certainly not easy.

Would it make it easier to knock off the masks if you took out the friction gears?

No. The only Toa whose gearboxes even potentially get in the way of that function are Kopaka and Lewa, who don't even use friction gears behind their necks — theirs are placed in their shoulders/underarms.

Witch Doctor is one of the best examples of a good CCBS titan IMO.

Yeah. We need more like him. Besides being a treasure trove of white, black and red armor parts his build showed how stable and imposing CCBS can be.

really? i found him to be kinda... blocky. the same vibe takanuva 2008 and Toa Mata Nui gave. :0

probably stood out more on him though because his theme was skeleton yet he was built like a grizzly bear.

Edited by Rahkshi Lalonde
  • Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Witch Doctor is one of the best examples of a good CCBS titan IMO.

Yeah. We need more like him. Besides being a treasure trove of white, black and red armor parts his build showed how stable and imposing CCBS can be.

really? i found him to be kinda... blocky. the same vibe takanuva 2008 and Toa Mata Nui gave. :0

probably stood out more on him though because his theme was skeleton yet he was built like a grizzly bear.

Whoever said that grizzly bears don't have skeletons? :P In all seriousness, I see your point. But who knows? Maybe if there were more CCBS Titans, he'd end up being the skinniest?

Aanchir i have a question about Kopaka 2015's new weapons, does the gear arm allow kopaka to hold his spear steady without sinking down from it's weight or how stiff is the mechanism exactly?

You know, the answer to that question is kind of weird. When I originally built Kopaka and wrote my review for The New Elementary he could hold a pose like nobody's business! Then I took him apart to build Wairuha, and when I put him together again his right arm WOULD dangle in certain poses. Maybe it was a result of the friction pin having to support too much weight/inertia on my Wairuha design and wearing down as a result. Maybe I somehow damaged it during one of those sessions of assembly/disassembly, such as by stepping on it. Or maybe since the parts got mixed up, this was originally a slightly imperfect one from elsewhere in the set or one of the other two sets, and it didn't have as much friction to begin with. :notsure:

Whatever the case, I just swapped the friction pin for a brand-new, unused one that I had in my little Ziploc bag of spare parts, and now it's as good as new and he's back to being able to hold a pose like nobody's business. :) Pretty much every set that includes one of that type of friction pin also includes a spare, so it shouldn't be hard to get one in new or like-new condition if you have similar trouble. But it might be something to be a little bit wary of.

Do the gearboxes bulge out as bad as some pics show?

Nah, not really. At least, not in my opinion. The shoulder joints are just two modules back from the hip joints. In other words, just slightly further back than the ones on the original Hero Factory torso beam or sets like Toa Mahri Hahli and Hewkii that used a Piraka torso beam facing backwards.

I'd almost go so far as to say the Toa's looks are improved by having the shoulder joints set back from the hips in this way. It gives them a very heroic posture and keeps them from looking scrawny. And scrawniness was a frequent point of criticism of many Hero Factory sets from 2011 to 2013, as well as the aforementioned Toa Mahri sets, which had the shoulders set back from the hips but had no armor in front.

They certainly don't wind up looking like Skrall, if that's what you're worried about.

Edited by Aanchir

Phew, I was worried thee end up like skrall, with arms set really far back. This HF torso, how thick is it?

The one I linked? No thicker than the Piraka or Toa Inika torsos.

Actually, thinking about it, the wider Agori/Av-Matoran torso had the shoulders set just as far back from the hips as the new Toa's shoulders. Only it was nearly flat as a pancake from side view and had the neck joint recessed between the shoulders to give sets a hunched posture. The new Toa have much better posture, with armor in the front and back to give their torsos some real volume.

Sorry but that makes no sense at all...

According to Google, Nexus means something like "being interconnected", not "next generation".

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I'm assuming you think that these are the same Toa from Gen 1 so you used the term? 

It makes sense now, I guess. But the word it self just doesn't have the BIONICLE ring to it, you know.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Aanchir i have a question about Kopaka 2015's new weapons, does the gear arm allow kopaka to hold his spear steady without sinking down from it's weight or how stiff is the mechanism exactly?

You know, the answer to that question is kind of weird. When I originally built Kopaka and wrote my review for The New Elementary he could hold a pose like nobody's business! Then I took him apart to build Wairuha, and when I put him together again his right arm WOULD dangle in certain poses. Maybe it was a result of the friction pin having to support too much weight/inertia on my Wairuha design and wearing down as a result. Maybe I somehow damaged it during one of those sessions of assembly/disassembly, such as by stepping on it. Or maybe since the parts got mixed up, this was originally a slightly imperfect one from elsewhere in the set or one of the other two sets, and it didn't have as much friction to begin with. :notsure:

Whatever the case, I just swapped the friction pin for a brand-new, unused one that I had in my little Ziploc bag of spare parts, and now it's as good as new and he's back to being able to hold a pose like nobody's business. :) Pretty much every set that includes one of that type of friction pin also includes a spare, so it shouldn't be hard to get one in new or like-new condition if you have similar trouble. But it might be something to be a little bit wary of.

So in short the mechanism is quite strong, is that what you mean?

qs3135.jpg