Can The Color Of Bionicle Pieces Fade Away?

Aris621

This probably belongs in the BIONICLE Sets and Collectibles forum.Anyway, I haven't experienced any fading of parts from bright light, but I do have some faded BIONICLE parts. Specifically, they are Nui-Rama parts I got from a yard sale. I'm not sure if the fading is a result of bright light or a result of inappropriate methods of washing the bricks before sale.One thing's for sure, LEGO parts can fade from too much light exposure. I believe today they apply a special treatment on the models built at LEGOLAND parks so that they don't fade in the sun, but in the past giraffes built with yellow bricks would eventually begin to look tan. This is a result of being under a bright light day-in and day-out, year-in and year-out. So you should exercise caution with having BIONICLE sets under a bright light, but I don't think it should cause any considerable fading unless they are under that light for a very long time.

I'm in the process of constructing a very large MOC that will take years to build, and part of the MOC requires large tracts of green plates. I ordered another load of green plates recently to finish off a section of the MOC, but I noticed that the old green that had been exposed to the sun for a while had slightly faded - and it's noticeable, but not that much.I've actually had some parts melt under exposure - I had sorted out the parts to a playset months before I got around to actually constructing it, and in the meantime, they had slightly deformed around the edges.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I'm in the process of constructing a very large MOC that will take years to build, and part of the MOC requires large tracts of green plates. I ordered another load of green plates recently to finish off a section of the MOC, but I noticed that the old green that had been exposed to the sun for a while had slightly faded - and it's noticeable, but not that much.I've actually had some parts melt under exposure - I had sorted out the parts to a playset months before I got around to actually constructing it, and in the meantime, they had slightly deformed around the edges.

O.o YEARS? What is it going to be, and how big?

aouROFb.png

I would not put them under a strong light. While the parts probably will fade in color over time, it's best not to subject them to any sort of increased exposure. It certainly can't help anything...-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

Well, it's just a normal light bulb, but the distance between the light bulb and the BIONICLE's on the upper shelf is about 10 cm. So they are pretty close to the light bulb. Is that something to worry about, or not?

I wouldn't think so, but you might want to watch out for excessive heat exposure, not just light exposure. Certain lightbulbs get very warm, and while I'm not familiar with BIONICLE parts becoming discolored from being close to a light source, parts can definitely deform under excessive amounts of heat.

I doubt that light can do that to plastic, especially high-quality types, like LEGO uses. The only problem with keeping them that close to a light is melting.

jimistringer.png

Why are orange and black such a good color Combination ? Purple is pretty, and so is blue. Pink hurts your eyes, green is quite mellowing, black is very threatning, red is cool, orange is SO awesome, yellow's hard to read... But you can't see white at all! Oh, wait. I forgot brown.

Here's my thoughts: If a person tells the truth and says, " I always lie," Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth? And what has a mouth, but no head, and a body, but no torso? Do caterpillars like to tend to supporting colum of stone's every need? Or is that name misleading by nature? Speaking of nature, why are the children of animals called offspring? don't many young beasts come alive in spring, and thus, should be called onspring? Heeeeeeyy..... I got the first post on a page for the first time. Who knows; it may happen again. What the... It did happen again... and again...

YEAH! I'M ENCOUNTERING PROTODERMIS!

I've never considered bright light to actually fade colors. Other things like constant use of parts or certain types of soaps can fade colors, but light seems a little far-fetched.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

The UV in the sun's rays fade the color. Normal light bulbs don't have those rays, only special bulbs for reptiles so they can still bask in UV rays in an aquarium (I know because I have five reptiles <3). But like many others are saying, I would worry about heat. And me personally, I would worry about dust :P

pony_herd_really_tiny.png

In the meantime, you shall be loved and tolerated.

-----------------------------------------

I am both Toa Mata Nui and Dragonfly the Luminescent

-----------------------------------------

The UV in the sun's rays fade the color. Normal light bulbs don't have those rays, only special bulbs for reptiles so they can still bask in UV rays in an aquarium (I know because I have five reptiles <3). But like many others are saying, I would worry about heat. And me personally, I would worry about dust :P

Thanx. This was an answer where I was looking for :DI don't worry about heat, because the sets are not TOO close to the light bulb. And there are no sets next to my window, so I think there is no much to worry about.

300px-Toa_Mata_Sets.jpg

I've never had a problem with fading, and I use a desk lamp with probably a 60 or 70 watt bulb. Sunlight is going to be the best thing that could fade pieces, but you probably wouldn't be bringing all your pieces out into the sunlight anyway. In other words, just use your own lights and you should be fine (provided you aren't using flood lights :P ).

*Insert some sort of banner or photograph here*

Thanx. This was an answer where I was looking for :biggrin:I don't worry about heat, because the sets are not TOO close to the light bulb. And there are no sets next to my window, so I think there is no much to worry about.
better safe then sorry though, but i got some bohrok eyes that did the same thing awhile back, but i'm now using a uv light to distort colors purposely lol and it's ok

I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging

I'm in the process of constructing a very large MOC that will take years to build, and part of the MOC requires large tracts of green plates.

O.o YEARS? What is it going to be, and how big?
It's a minifigure-scale Major League Baseball stadium. At least 432x432 studs, maybe as large as 720x720 studs. Part of the infield faded away, mostly from natural light, I figure, but possibly from a combination of the sun and interior lighting.I figure it might be a neat way to make the subtle outfield grass-cut patterns.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have never experienced LEGO pieces fading due to continous exposure to light sources, but bricks of certain colours, particularly white and light bluish grey, use to acquire a yellowish colour if you expose them long enough to sunlight. If you put a LEGO brick with a sticker in a sunny place during summer and leave it there for several weeks, you will clearly notice the colour change after removing the sticker. I don't think LEGO pieces fade away under normal bulbs, though, despite the bulb's intensity. What matters is the wavelength/frequency of the light the bricks are exposed to. Higher-frequency electromagnetic radiation, for example UV-rays, may induce photodegradation of some of the plastic's chemical components, thus leading to the colour change. The smaller the wavelength/the higher the frequency, the more likely it is that exposure to this light causes a colour change. So unless your lamp emits UV-light, which I doubt, I believe there is no reason to worry. If you want to go sure, though, you could ask the seller for an emission spectre of your lamp.~Gata. ;)

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have a great BIONICLE collection. And I have put many of my BIONICLE's on a great shelf. But that shelf is under a bright lamp. So can the collor of those BIONICLE fade away under a bright lamp?

I think the plastic is colored all the way through, so I would say no. I have Bionicles from 2001 and they haven't faded

SpecOperations9.jpg

Feel free to friend me!