Let's Play Kolhii

My suggestion: foam.  Lost of foam.  Dense foam ball and sticks with big foam heads that have something like this on the other end.  No need to worry about too much padding because you'd be playing with foam, making it much easier to handle and way less likely to hurt someone.  And also because making high-end sports equipment from scratch will cost a lot of money, whereas foam is cheaper and much easier (and safer) to work with.

Yeah, I'm going to say that this is the best suggestion being put forward so far. Otherwise, metal stick hitting a metal ball could harm innocent spectators. 

I would say iron would work best. Iron or steel. Hammer shaped. One side flat for direct shots. The other side a curved pick so the ball can be redirected mid-air by using the curve in the pick.

That would be pretty unwieldy. Plus, I'm not a metalsmith, so I really have no way of doing that. By curved pick, do you mean like a pickaxe or like a hammer with the two prongs? Another thing to put on the other side would be a hockey stick-like paddle to just dribble the ball.

I might just look up how to make a wooden mallet and stick it on the other end of the shaft. I'm not afraid of a wooden club breaking or anything, since wooden golf clubs work very well.

As for the scoop, I was thinking of getting a relatively strong piece of metal (maybe a cylindrical rod) and bending it into shape, and then laying one strip of nice thick sheet metal across the bottom. Not only would it make the scoop lighter, but it would allow air to pass through.

Alright, so not iron or steel.

I mean like a pickaxe. But the underside curved. Also dribbling the ball isn't really something done in kolhii.

The scoop sounds like a nice idea, I approve :)

I meant dribbling in a soccer meaning, not a basketball meaning, if that's what you thought  :P .

I've got a rough sketch of my ideas drawn up on paper, but I don't feel like scanning it into my computer right now. I'll have that tomorrow, as it is pretty late here.

As for a ball, I'm thinking just a normal solid rubber ball, about 4 inches (10 cm) in diameter. 

The shield will be the easy part. Of course I'm going to paint it in the colors and designs of a Koro, so which one do you guys want to see? I'm thinking Ta-Koro, bcause it would technically double as a guard shield as well  :P . Po-Koro would look nice, too, with natural brown and tan colors.

• Upvote 1

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

I would say iron would work best. Iron or steel. Hammer shaped. One side flat for direct shots. The other side a curved pick so the ball can be redirected mid-air by using the curve in the pick.

That would be pretty unwieldy. Plus, I'm not a metalsmith, so I really have no way of doing that. By curved pick, do you mean like a pickaxe or like a hammer with the two prongs? Another thing to put on the other side would be a hockey stick-like paddle to just dribble the ball.

I might just look up how to make a wooden mallet and stick it on the other end of the shaft. I'm not afraid of a wooden club breaking or anything, since wooden golf clubs work very well.

As for the scoop, I was thinking of getting a relatively strong piece of metal (maybe a cylindrical rod) and bending it into shape, and then laying one strip of nice thick sheet metal across the bottom. Not only would it make the scoop lighter, but it would allow air to pass through.

Alright, so not iron or steel.

I mean like a pickaxe. But the underside curved. Also dribbling the ball isn't really something done in kolhii.

The scoop sounds like a nice idea, I approve :)

I meant dribbling in a soccer meaning, not a basketball meaning, if that's what you thought  :P .

I've got a rough sketch of my ideas drawn up on paper, but I don't feel like scanning it into my computer right now. I'll have that tomorrow, as it is pretty late here.

As for a ball, I'm thinking just a normal solid rubber ball, about 4 inches (10 cm) in diameter. 

The shield will be the easy part. Of course I'm going to paint it in the colors and designs of a Koro, so which one do you guys want to see? I'm thinking Ta-Koro, bcause it would technically double as a guard shield as well  :P . Po-Koro would look nice, too, with natural brown and tan colors.

Ta-Koro shield, perfect for Takua cosplay.

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

To minimize the face-being-deformed factor of being hit with a basketball full of sand, could you fill one half with sand and half with air? Like how you sometimes do with water balloons?

Would that unbalance how it moves in the air if the weight was concentrated on one side?

bZpOwEr

To minimize the face-being-deformed factor of being hit with a basketball full of sand, could you fill one half with sand and half with air? Like how you sometimes do with water balloons?

Would that unbalance how it moves in the air if the weight was concentrated on one side?

He doesn't mean physically in half, he means 50% air 50% sand, the sand would move all over the place. :P

|

He doesn't mean physically in half, he means 50% air 50% sand, the sand would move all over the place. :P

Ah, silly me. 

However there's still an issue with pouring sand into a ball. If you were to cut it open and put it in there the ball would lose all of its air pressure. It would also have to be resealed so tightly that there aren't any excess holes in the ball itself. 

bZpOwEr

I'm sure "How It's Made" would describe some complicated process on... (•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) ...how it's made. http://www.myinstants.com/instant/yeah/

2edgy4me

You can attach a funnel to a bike pump. As you pump air into the ball, pour the sand into the pump. This'll press the sand into the ball.

That might work, provided the hole in the ball is large enough for the sand grains to pass through. 

bZpOwEr

A ball half full of sand would also end up acting strangely. For one, it wouldn't roll very far because of the friction from the sand moving around inside.

Perhaps full sand?

That was intended first. But someone suggested half full as to make less painful impacts

Well, half sand would be a good idea in theory, though it would tend to flop around inside the ball... which I dunno if you've ever had to throw a ball half full of sand, but if you have, you would know how much it twists and turns in the air. :P

But perhaps just a thick leather ball could simulate the weight and density of a ball full of sand?

Also, wearing face gear is probably enough to make the impact easier to bear.

|

A ball half full of sand would also end up acting strangely. For one, it wouldn't roll very far because of the friction from the sand moving around inside.

Perhaps full sand?
That was intended first. But someone suggested half full as to make less painful impacts

Well, half sand would be a good idea in theory, though it would tend to flop around inside the ball... which I dunno if you've ever had to throw a ball half full of sand, but if you have, you would know how much it twists and turns in the air. :P

But perhaps just a thick leather ball could simulate the weight and density of a ball full of sand?

Leather would work

Also we should have the head gear look like kanohi

Perhaps full sand?

Leather would work

Also we should have the head gear look like kanohi

I'd suggest starting with paintball headgear. I know that some companies make custom designed paintball face masks such as this one:

8X2ZhUn.jpg

I think that one could request one of them to make one that's shaped like their Kanohi of choice. I don't know how much this kind of thing cost, tho.

bZpOwEr

Shouldn't be too hard to get them to make a black Kaukau, seeing that most paintball masks already have a visor. Only problem is the cost, I'll have to see how much I have after I buy the summer wave.

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

I'll have a Huna. But make it out of wood rather than what a normal paintball mask would be made. I'd leave it unpainted to give it the natural tan color. :)

We can also name the tournaments after the masks of power:

Time - Regional

life - State

Creation - National

That sounds like a good idea. But we'd somehow need to make sure that each region and state had the same number of contestants, otherwise it would unbalance the fairness of the tournaments. 

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

I'll have a Huna. But make it out of wood rather than what a normal paintball mask would be made. I'd leave it unpainted to give it the natural tan color. :)

Time - Regional

life - State

Creation - National

I disagree with this. SOLID COPPER Hunas and Komaus as trophies.

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  

Time - Regional

life - State

Creation - National

Nono, for trophies we can have the Vahi, Ignika, and Mask of Creation. And they can even be worn. Extra gloat points.

Time - Regional

life - State

Creation - National

Nono, for trophies we can have the Vahi, Ignika, and Mask of Creation. And they can even be worn. Extra gloat points.

In-story, there were copper Hunas and Komaus as trophies. There were set forms as well, and they're pretty rare.

Time - Regional

life - State

Creation - National

In-story, there were copper Hunas and Komaus as trophies. There were set forms as well, and they're pretty rare.

Ooh yeeaaahhhh I completely forgot about that!

That can work then :)

• Upvote 1

Time - Regional

life - State

Creation - National

Ooh yeeaaahhhh I completely forgot about that!

That can work then :)

Then when you win, you can use the mask you win as protection in the next game. :3

|

That'll be nice. Though a tan huna is still my favorite. :)

I'll stick to being the team medic, and only going on the field as a last resort. My immortality makes me a pain to get off the field XD

Same here, only it's not being immoral, but most likely my body's condition as well by the time we get to do this. XP

Miru Medic! :D

Edited by Forgeta

|

I'll stick to being the team medic, and only going on the field as a last resort. My immortality makes me a pain to get off the field XD

Same here, only it's not being immoral, but most likely my body's condition as well by the time we get to do this. XP

Huna Medic :D

On the field my nickname will be the Bloody Red Queen.

Huna Medic :D

On the field my nickname will be the Bloody Red Queen.

Wonder what mine would be... *just imagines getting hit repeatedly in the face with ball, preventing it from hitting the goal* (I actually developed a strategy like that for dodgeball XD)

|