The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Massachusetts seems likely.So the Masquerade is broken and everyone knows about Magic, now, right?
No? There would be less repello muggletum effectively though.

bzprovince_zps0d5d507a.png

If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win!

So this school would probably follow the US model. I guess they'd start taking kids in at middle school age, so they at least get fifth grade done, then keep them through High School?

Edited by cardworkMagician
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Essentially yes, for the expensive private schools that this would have to follow. American schools have had the 12 grade model since they moved off the schoolhouse system, and private schools have had that longer.I went to a private school that followed the model of schools from the civil war era. It was pretty similar to modern schools, actually.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Education doesn't change very fast, I doubt things were much different.

-Rover

I figured the way the school is probably based and viewed from a muggle standpoint, it would almost appear as a normal private academy of sorts.

Hopefully without Hogwarts' mandated one death per year, minimum.Argh I'm already thinking about what I want to play...

-Rover

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=299257&st=4680&p=7208261&hl=Ravenclaw&&do=findComment&comment=7208261That's my old rough draft of an HP RPG that never got off the ground. Use whatever you like.I'm against Time-Turners too.Also, will this American Academy teach the Dark Arts? We know Drumstrang does...

-Rover

The Dark Arts? Oh. I hope so. :evilgrin:
Agreed. I'll have an absolutely evil character who's a sadist, but the best plan he can come up with is to point his wand at people as hard as he can.BTW, since this is about magic, does anyone (other than those who read my planned ideas for a RPG) know about Skulduggery Pleasant? I'm just seeing about its forecast popularity here.

"Wer Traumt?"

All the Time Turners were destroyed in the Ministry of Magic incident during the Order of the Phoenix. Granted that was the UK Branch... There won't be any Time Turners... but Dark Arts should be a key point for any respectable magical school.I've still been trying to come up with houses. I was thinking Griffinclaw for one maybe. Should there be four houses or three?

I guess I should have specified and not assumed what people meant. Defense against the dark arts will be taught, not the dark arts themselves... Naturally some dark spells will be learned, and if students experiment... There won't be a bonafide dark arts course teaching "black magic" if that's what people meant by teaching the dark arts.

Wouldn't you think that Voldemort would have made Dark Arts unpopular? :w:
I would think it would hit the UK the hardest. Other nations would have different views on the subject....that would they would likely argue about incessantly. Y'know, politics. :PEDIT: Nevermind. Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

The Time Turner thing: Hermionie only got her hands on one with special permission from the ministry. Obviously, the Department of Magic isn't so careless as to hand out time travel devices to thirteen year olds.I thought Houses were a thing only British schools did? There sure aren't any in the American schools I go to.

Edited by cardworkMagician

-Rover

Have you ever been to a British school? I haven't but the first time I saw houses like that was only in Harry Potter. I don't see any reason for there not to be houses.

Professor Wikipedia talks about them as a mainly British thing...

-Rover

Alright, sure, up to you. I learned not to argue with you after BZProvince.

-Rover

Houses would make things more fun, in this one's opinion. But Griffinclaw isn't a great name for one, it looking like a combo of Ravenclaw and Griffindor. Maybe use some specifically American monsters as influence in the names?

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

Specifically American monsters...Maybe draw from Native American mythology for them? Thunderbird house seems pretty cool...

-Rover

This might take some time....Actually I just did since quick research and found a few names that would be perfect.Four houses or three though?

Edited by Sisen

I say three. Four will just devolve into 2-on-2 alliances.

-Rover

"In wizarding news today, *school* fell into a state of civil war as *insert two houses* clash with *other two houses*. Teachers and staff have been caught in the crossfire....":P

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Houlgrave, Ratliffe, Throgmorton, and Bartholomew. I'm only half serious about some of those.Houlgrave has a nice ring to it though. Sounds as if it'd be a Slytherin counterpart.

Ratliffe and Bartholomew are the two I particularly don't care for... Ratcliffe could be used. XPWingfield and Gosnoll are possibilities.

Let's try not to have direct parallels to the Hogwarts houses. More interesting that way.

-Rover

Admittedly Houlgrave is cool. Bartholomew sounds too British.

-Rover

I also just came across Wardwell.Wardwell, Wingfield, Houlgrave, Throgmortton, and/or Bartholomew.There are more than likely going to be parallels to houses. There are people like that everywhere, so the houses are going to have some similarities. Houlgrave might not be that Slytherin class, but there more than likely will be one.

Edited by Sisen