The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Of course, that's assuming that nobody reduces Palpatine to a greasy spot on the floor - which would be difficult, to be sure, but not necessarily impossible.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Considering he did take down three Jedi masters and was only just barely defeated by Mace, a pretty formidable opponent, methinks he'll be slightly more than difficult to kill. Force visions are always buggersome for sneak attacks.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Palpatine is going to be a terror. Let me put this way, if you had a Dreadnought cruiser and an army of droids and he wanted you dead. You'd die.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Therefore the best option for dealing with Palpatine is an attempt at stealth. Take him by surprise, put a chunk of lead in his brain before he can react, and maybe your plan will work.It should be noted, also, that seeing the future through the Force doesn't exactly seem to have been a thing that happened 24/7, nor, apparently, at the will of the person receiving the sneak preview.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I suppose then your best hope is to pray the dice fall right in your favor.I personally will have fun with slugthrowers; question though, are the force fields of, say, a Droideka the same sort as what you'd see on a Star Destroyer? Because I know starship force fields negate kinetic rounds quite well, but I figure it may be different on the lower end of the spectrum.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Indeed. Many canon characters smart and skilled. Killing them will be difficult and have a high chance of the PC trying it dying.Droideka's shields can block kinetic force.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Hmmm. Well, I guess I just have to hope not to go against them.I figure for everyone else though, being at the receiving end of a Star Wars-era slugthrower....Anychance you could wire up one of the crystals that powers a lightsaber to a portable coilgun?

voidstars.png

Well, of course the character will have to have actual motive for trying to kill the NPC. This isn't Norman Bates: The Game.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well that's a bit different. I doubt you're even going to get 78 players, and a lot of the players you get are probably going to stick to the best-known ones. Only reason I'm doing a lot of planets - and no I don't think it's more than 200 habitable worlds - is because IL.3 is an RTS-RPG.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

So I've been thinking about the number of inhabited and known worlds in the SW Universe. Canonically, it's about seventy million. A huge huge huge number. Is everyone comfortable with this number? Most of them seem to be sparsely populated colonies at any rate. Of little importance.

Ah, question - is the core of the inhabited area in Star Wars actually the core of the galaxy? Because if so, that's stupid and those living in the core should be kind of extremely dead.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

*does math**assumes some nice conditions that don't actually exist but are nice for clean sums*I got something around 78,500,000,000,000 cubic lightyears of volume for the galaxy. That's assuming the galaxy is a perfect tube and has similar dimensions to our own, but it gives you a general idea of the scale. Assuming an even density of 5 systems per lightyear... yeah, if people can build settlements on something as ****ish as Mustafar, I'm sure seventy million inhabited worlds is perfectly reasonable.All very ballpark math, but the numbers seem to be large enough. Space is biiiiiig.

voidstars.png

Bluh. The core may be dense but there's still light-years between each star, and no real reason to think it's uninhabitable. Background radiation is barely higher than it is here in the Orion Arm.Oh that's right, far-far away. Nevermind

Edited by Grapple Wizard
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

I think Rover refers to the various levels of galactic nastiness there. Neutron stars, black holes, pulsars, systems that orbit black holes at significant fractions of the speed of light...The core of a galaxy is a nasty place, and I'm secure in saying that as I've seen numerous documentaries and read NASA pages about it.

Edited by Void Prophet Alex Humva

voidstars.png

As they seem to have decided the Deep Core is habitable, just confusing to navigate, I suggest waving at logic as it passes by on this particular issue.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Alright. Seventy million it is......Hm. This means casualty estimates for the Clone Wars could skyrocket. Well past a trillion.It is habitable. Kind of. Very dangerous though.

Edited by Basilisk

Supermassive blackhole(s) tend to make things difficult to navigate, yeah.

voidstars.png

In real life, the actual core of a galaxy would be an incredibly unlikely place for multicellular life. Supernovae, black holes, pulsars, gravitational shenanigans... it's a mess. The region labelled as just the 'Core' in Star Wars wouldn't be much better.Hence, waving at logic as it passes by.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

...Not really at all. A supermassive black hole's gravity well doesn't become an issue until you get within about a Light Year of the Event Horizon, I think. Gravity's strength isn't linear, it's scalar.Whatever, it's Star Wars. Shoot logic in the face with a grapnel.

Edited by Grapple Wizard
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Logic can be ignored somewhat here. I'm not editing out two regions of the galaxy. Chalk it up to ancient Rakatan Wonder-tech or something.

Xom, black holes do numerous things. Gravity is not their only trick. Mr. Hawkings made that exceptionally clear to us. Gamma and x ray pulses are aplenty, amongst plenty of other spacial nastiness that comes with the turf.Of course, this is Star Wars, radiation should be able to be stopped, even if it's strong enough to incinerate Earth's atmosphere several thousand lightyears away.

voidstars.png

...Not really at all. A supermassive black hole's gravity well doesn't become an issue until you get within about a Light Year of the Event Horizon, I think. Gravity's strength isn't linear, it's scalar.Whatever, it's Star Wars. Shoot logic in the face with a grapnel.
The black hole isn't the only issue when dealing with gravity - the stars near the center of a galaxy are rather more tightly packed than out here in the arms. The big problem with the black hole is the radiation emitted by it.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

He's already made it. The man cannot be stopped when he gets on a quest to bring logic and science to things.

voidstars.png

Well, the biggest changes that have been made in terms of logic and common sense have more to do with the actions of characters than with physics. Really stupid plot things (hahahahaha what's a Faraday cage?) have likewise been spitted on the sword of reason, but it seems to have been agreed that the shape of the inhabited area of the galaxy won't be changed, because of some very good reasons.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

ATTENTION PEOPLE. If you want to play a DARK SIDE character in my RP. Consider this quote:"Never heard of him.""That's because he did no evil. He didn't attempt to conquer the galaxy, try to wipe out the population of a star system, or start an all-out war with the Jedi. He just existed, learned. Died of old age, surrounded by family and friends."-Lumiya discusses Darth Vectivus' character with Jacen Solo

Edited by Basilisk

Good old Zahn and making things cool.

voidstars.png

Without details on what you're actually planning, I don't have any interest in anything. Seriously - if you have no more of a plan than 'What if I made an RPG using this property?', you are doomed to fail.Come up with something clever, whether it's an interesting take on an established property or something truly original.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Quarantine Springfield: The Simpsons RPG

Plot/Setting:

Hundreds of episodes and twos of decades ago, The Simpsons, and the lively world of Springfield were introduced to us. In 2007, the family and town went through their biggest adventure ever on the big screen. In the end, Homer heroically saved the day and destroyed the dome around Springfield. But what if the dome had not been destroyed? Let's fast forward to six months after the dome has been placed over Springfield.

This is from the RPG I am currently working on. Anyone out there a Simpsons fan, or just interested in a faction-based RPG? Feedback please.

Edited by PurpleBouncy

"The moral of the story is, I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way. I'll never make that mistake again. No more half measures Walter."

Even if I have to go through the judges (sometimes they seem like they want RPGs to succeed, sometimes they don't) I think my RPG has a decent chance of seeing the light of day. I'm going to with a fairly simple but fun system, so there aren't too many elements of the RPG to screw up, but there's still enough going on. If you're interested in being a co-game master, or want a draft of it before I submit it to the judges for some feedback, then please just ask.

"The moral of the story is, I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way. I'll never make that mistake again. No more half measures Walter."