What do YOU Want to See BZPower Cover at New York Toy Fair 2018?

As we near Toy Fair, the time has come to plan ahead and schedule appointments for some of the more private booths. While we like to think we know what BZPower readers are interested in, we were surprised this year by how many page views and (positive) forum posts we saw because of some of the more left-field booths we decided to skim through in 2017. A few categories of non-LEGO coverage stick out: clone brands, "compatible" brands, other brands covering themes LEGO currently has a license for, other brands covering themes LEGO previously had a license for, and brands directly competing with LEGO in some way. Maybe you'd prefer to hear more about some of those categories and not others, or some combination of those factors is more interesting to you. Perhaps there are some surprising common interests among our readers that we would never have guessed. We can't guarantee we'll cover everything, but please let us know in our talkback thread what beyond LEGO you'd like to see us cover at New York Toy Fair 2018!

View the full article

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I like keeping it simple, and not having year round coverage of a weekend event, but if people want to see something else, go right ahead.

Also, I've heard LEGO won't be showing be showing any new products, so coverage might be sparse if you don't cover anything else.

Edited by Valendale

We definitely need to tighten things up and not drag it out all year. I've made some technical improvements that will speed the process up this year, so we'll see how that goes.

My attempt at covering the Lionel booth last year flopped because my photos were too blurry. I'd like to see about getting a better look at them this year...

I've heard this year Lego won't be showing off anything beyond June, which is a bummer. That might be further incentive to cover some non-Lego brands...

I guess having worked at Hasbro this past summer, it'd be neat to get some coverage of their booth just to see whether any of the stuff I'd worked on gets revealed. I do like to have a better idea of what's been officially revealed so that I can know what I'm allowed to talk about. ;)

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I've heard this year Lego won't be showing off anything beyond June, which is a bummer. That might be further incentive to cover some non-Lego brands...

I guess having worked at Hasbro this past summer, it'd be neat to get some coverage of their booth just to see whether any of the stuff I'd worked on gets revealed. I do like to have a better idea of what's been officially revealed so that I can know what I'm allowed to talk about. ;)

I don’t know why Toy Fair will not show summer Lego sets this year. I mean, I wanna know if we could have a constraction replacement for Bionicle G2 in 2015 and 2016. Bummer.:( I wonder if we could get at least the names for the summer sets’ names.

Anyway, I would like to see trailers for the summer sets. That’s all I can say.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

For the past few years Hasbro hasn't even had a booth at ToyFair. They have an offsite location that is invite-only. So don't expect to see us getting any coverage from there anytime soon.

Maybe he has connections there that could get us on the list.

FWIW, I've done some searching around to see if I could get us an appointment to visit Mattel for Mega Construx. I haven't been successful. Black Six has tried getting us an appointment at the LEGO booth unsuccessfully in the past too. I think the heavy hitters just don't need us to give them publicity. Even if we decided to get extremely excited about a Hasbro KREO series or a Mattel Mega Construx line, it wouldn't register as a blip on their bottom line (and it's pretty unlikely that we'd embrace a clone brand much anyway). The limited preview thing we've had with LEGO is more like a favor that LEGO's marketing department does for the LEGO community team for a select few recognized LEGO Fan Media outlets.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

A spokesperson for Hasbro promised to send us information about their latest releases after the show.

Mattel invited us to breakfast in their booth on Monday, but we're leaving Toy Fair Sunday evening. They will send us a full press fact sheet tomorrow.

Regretfully, our schedule also means we'll miss LEGO's Global Head for Product Safety & Compliance speaking on Monday.

• Upvote 1