Pokémon: Rise Of The Rockets

Parugi

IC: Jake

Jake had healed his team as well.

"I'm always ready," Jake said back. Without further ado, he sent out Machop, who looked around curiously before nodding to Fuerte and settled into a classic fighting stance. The fighting type grinned, then made a 'come at me' gesture with his right hand.

"Alright Machop, I know this is our first battle, but let's do our best!" Jake called to his Pokemon.

IC: Ryan

Ryan waved a hand in response to the Separatist's comment. The other day wasn't really something he wanted to discuss, especially if it involved Ray's feelings for Sonja. Instead he made a beeline for Sonja's room. Keeping an eye on the time, knowing that he still had to get ready, he paused for a moment in front of the door. Taking a deep breath, he tentatively raised a hand and knocked, wondering if Sonja was even in her room.

IC: Zoe

Keturi City stood near the center of Four Island, and was by far the commercial center of the city. Tall buildings rose all around, with shops advertising everything from swimsuits to Pokédolls. Colette barely had any time to take in the sights, however, as Zoe whisked her through the city at top speed, only coming to a stop when they reached a boutique with a familiar woman standing near the entrance.

Only then did Zoe let go of her sister's arm. "Mom!" she cried, running forward to embrace her mother.

Konuju: Kopaka and Nuju meet the Spear of Fusion

Quotes from throughout the years:

2001: "Your past is forgotten, and your future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer." --Nokama

2002: "Mata Nui faces perhaps its greatest challenge -- one that will test our courage, our strength, and our belief in each other." --Tahu

2003: "So... it has begun, my brother. But soon, it will also end..." --Makuta

2004: "Your journey must end." "By the will of the Great Spirit, it has just begun!" --Makuta and Vakama

2005: "Our destinies are not written in stone, set in place. They are something we have to find for ourselves." --Vakama

2006: "Don't you realize you're fighting for a lost cause?" "Maybe. But don't you realize those are the only ones worth fighting for?" --Axonn and Brutaka

2007: "Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory." --Hahli

2008: "Dive into the darkness, Ignite the flame within. Now, there is no turning back. Make the future... begin." --Narrator, The Final Battle Animation

2009: "It is said that all endings are merely beginnings waiting to be born." --Mata Nui

2010: "All journeys must come to an end, but this time, there is a new beginning as well. ... All that has gone before, my friends, has only served to give birth to this new day. Let unity, duty and destiny be your guides." --Mata Nui

2011: "Not dead. Just frozen. They’ll thaw out … eventually. I’m tired of villains spouting gibberish." --Kopaka

-==IC: Colette==-

Colette smiled after briefly panting, as she walked up to the older woman more slowly than her sister, partly since she had been going full speed before then.

"Hi mom." Colette said, as the older woman smiled back at her two daughters.

"A dance on your first day back, huh?" Colette's mom asked, as Colette herself nervously laughed a bit, still wondering how exactly that worked out.

IC: Zoe
"It's going to be so much fun!" Zoe squealed, barely containing her excitement. "Well, good luck finding a dress, Collie. I'd better run home and get mine."

"You're sure you can get everything ready by yourself, dear?" Mrs. Llyan asked kindly.

Zoe rolled her eyes. "Mom, I'm twelve years old. I'm not a little kid anymore."

"Alright, just be careful. Don't talk to strangers, keep to yourself, and be sure to look both ways before crossing the streets," Zoe's mom smiled. "We'll meet you back at the Alamo." As Zoe darted off, Mrs. Llyan turned to her eldest daughter. "Oh, Colette, it's so good to see you again. I bet Zoe was surprised to see you!" Before Colette could answer, the city's clock tower struck the hour. "We'd better hurry; we're pressed for time," the woman said as she quickly led Colette into the boutique.

IC: Ellen
After leaving Rugissement's mansion, Ellen and her Pokémon explored Sootopolis. The Kalos nobleman's tour had taken up the entire morning, and so Ellen made it a point to stop at the first restaurant she saw. She ordered grilled berry sandwiches for all her Pokémon, and then the companions hiked up to a rocky outcropping near the top of the crater. As they sat down to eat their lunch, Maturin and Terry enjoyed looking out over the city from their high vantage point. They were situated high enough that the bustling noise of the city was no more than a dim chatter. Behind them, the ocean waves crashed against the exterior of the rocky fortress almost rhythmically. The only other sound, apart from the crunch of the grilled sandwiches, was the occasional cry of a Wingull flying high above.

It would have been perfectly peaceful, except Ellen's mind was still fixated on what the butler had said. If she were to give Chrono away, she would be giving up on bonding with him. All of her efforts over the past six months, including this entire trip to Sootopolis, would be for naught. But then again, how did she even know Rugissement's cousin would be able to help? Even if she did manage to find this woman who could read a Pokémon's memories, what if Chrono's past wasn't the key?

Ellen turned her head toward Maturin, who was happily munching on his sandwich as his eyes followed the tiny forms of the people in the city down below. Evan had given her Maturin because the little Turtwig hadn't been able to keep up with his teammates in terms of training. It wasn't because he thought the Turtwig was weak, or because he had given up on him. Evan simply knew that Maturin would be happier with a different team. Could the same be said for Chrono? Ellen glanced over her shoulder. The Purrloin had settled down in his customary position several feet away from the rest of the group and was looking down on the city with a cold expression, barely touching his berry sandwich. If Ellen were to give Chrono away to another trainer, it would be because he couldn't keep up with his teammates in terms of -- well, in terms of being part of a team. Maybe there was another trainer out there with whom Chrono would be happier.

But would he? It was clear that Chrono's bitter attitude was not directed solely at Ellen, but at everyone he came across. Ellen doubted another trainer could befriend Chrono any better than she had. She thought back to Arddwyr, the humble gardener from the outskirts of Lilycove. He had lost everything: his son, his wife, his Pokémon. His entire family had been taken from him, and yet he was willing to start anew with a Tailow he had rescued. Hadn't Ellen rescued Chrono in a similar manner? Ellen's Pokémon were part of her family just as much as her mother and father. Terry, Duo, and Artemis had lived with her for years, and for the past six months Maturin had been every bit a member of the team as those three. And the same could be said for Chrono, whether the Purrloin liked it or not.

Arddwyr had suffered greatly, but he had emerged from that suffering a better man. Rugissement's idea of suffering was his insurance not paying for replacement windows and carpets. While the Kalos nobleman was easily able to pay for everything that hadn't already been handed to him on a silver platter, Arddwyr had taken the path of hard work and determination. If Arddwyr could rebuild his home, his family, and his garden from scratch, surely Ellen could see eye-to-eye with a Purrloin from the alleys of Unova.

With his sandwich finished, Maturin walked over to Ellen and gave her a gentle nudge. The Turtwig looked up at his trainer with a worried expression.

"Don't worry about me, Maturin," Ellen smiled. "I was just lost in thought." The companions resumed their silence for another moment, before Ellen asked, "Maturin, do you ever miss traveling with Evan?"

Maturin slowly nodded, looking up at Ellen with pondering eyes. Of course he missed his old team and all the adventures he had shared with the Hero of Space. And yet the Turtwig had never quite fit in with the rest of Evan's Pokémon. He had fond memories of Evan, but he didn't regret for a moment his old trainer's decision to give him to Ellen. Ellen had welcomed him in with open arms, and Maturin easily fit in with his new companions.

"You're such an optimist," Ellen laughed. "I'm glad to have you with us, Maturin." As she kindly scratched the Turtwig behind his ears, the girl softly sang a song she had heard long ago.

"See the Turtle of Enormous Girth!
On his shell he holds the earth.
His thought is slow but always kind,
He holds us all within his mind."

Maturin rested his head in Ellen's lap, feeling the warmth of the sun on his back and the salty ocean breeze. All of Ellen's anxieties about Chrono seemed to wash away with the crash of the waves as she continued her song.

"On his back the truth is carried,
And there are love and duty married.
He loves the earth and loves the sea,
And even loves a child like me!"

Ellen couldn't help but smile as she finished the tune. Maturin -- and in fact all of her Pokémon -- played a unique role on the team. She was thankful for each of them, even the unruly Chrono. She couldn't even dream of giving Chrono away. For better or for worse, they were family. And Arddwyr had called family the one thing that matters most.

2001: "Your past is forgotten, and your future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer." --Nokama

2002: "Mata Nui faces perhaps its greatest challenge -- one that will test our courage, our strength, and our belief in each other." --Tahu

2004: "Your journey must end." "By the will of the Great Spirit, it has just begun!" --Makuta and Vakama

2005: "Our destinies are not written in stone, set in place. They are something we have to find for ourselves." --Vakama

2006: "Don't you realize you're fighting for a lost cause?" "Maybe. But don't you realize those are the only ones worth fighting for?" --Axonn and Brutaka

2007: "Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory." --Hahli

2008: "Dive into the darkness, Ignite the flame within. Now, there is no turning back. Make the future... begin." --Narrator, The Final Battle Animation

2009: "It is said that all endings are merely beginnings waiting to be born." --Mata Nui

2010: "All journeys must come to an end, but this time, there is a new beginning as well. ... All that has gone before, my friends, has only served to give birth to this new day. Let unity, duty and destiny be your guides." --Mata Nui

2011: "Not dead. Just frozen. They’ll thaw out … eventually. I’m tired of villains spouting gibberish." --Kopaka

IC: Mrs. Llyan

"That's great," Colette's mother smiled. "She really admires you. I'm glad you were able to do that for her. Ah -- here we are!" She grabbed a salmon-colored strapless dress and held it up against her daughter. "I think you'd look absolutely stunning in this. Why don't you try it on?"

Colette frowned for a moment at the dress, but smiled slightly.

"A-alright..." Colette said, as she went into the dressing room, and changed into the dress quickly, but came out frowning, as she held the dress up herself, not trusting it without straps, and overall not really seeming that enthused about the dress.

"Oh get that frown off your face, you look absolutely wonderful!" Mrs. Llyan cried. "Well, almost." With a frown of disapproval, Mrs. Llyan pulled Colette's hairband out of her hair, pushing her 'dog ears' against her head as well. "That hairstyle of yours is not becoming of you in the slightest. There -- much better! What do you say, Colette?"

Colette frowned further as her hair was messed up, and looked again at the dress.

"I-I still don't know..." Colette said, still clutching the upper seam of the dress like it were a lifeline.

"Put your hands down, dear, it's not going to fall!" Mrs. Llyan laughed. She looked at Colette critically, judging the dress from every angle. "Hmm, it's good, but we can probably do better."

"I-I don't know about it not falling..." Colette mumbled, still holding the dress tightly, but nodded quickly and scurried back to the dressing room, changing back into her normal t-shirt and pants after her mom mentioned about doing better; leaving her jacket off for the moment.

Besides, it just... looked too awkward... Colette thought, a hint of a blush for herself because she was still embarrassed at it.

As soon as Colette stepped out of the dressing room, her mother handed her a second dress, this one dark green with poofy shoulders and long sleeves. "Here, try this one on," she said, ushering her daughter back into the dressing room.

Before Colette could ever utter anything in surprise, she found herself back in the dressing room, holding a new green dress.

... Why are there... poofy shoulders... Colette wondered with a sigh, as she changed back out of her clothes, and into the new dress. This one wasn't as bad as the first, but...

"Mom, this is too big for me... And too old fashioned..." Colette said, frowning as she pushed up the sleeves so her hands actually showed, and poked the shoulders, confused as to how they even worked.

"Oh, dear," Colette's mom frowned. Grabbing her daughter's arm, she tried to bunch up the sleeve in a way that it blended in with the poofiness of the shoulders. "Unfortunately I don't think we have enough time to get it tailored," she sighed. "It's a shame, because I really like the style. Maybe we can find one that's similar but in a smaller size."

"Hm.." Colette wasn't so sure, but had to admit that overall it wasn't really a bad design, though it seemed a little long on the legs; something that was confirmed when she tried to take a step forward, and simply tripped over the dress, landing on the ground with a thud, as she winced.

"Oh no!" Mrs. Llyan cried, rushing to her daughter's side. "Colette, dear, are you alright?"

"Y-yep; I've had worse falls before..." Colette said, though she rubbed her jaw a bit.

"Could... we have a bit shorter dresses, though...?" Colette asked, as that was in flats. She knew that heels were likely the next thing on the list to be bought, and she had the bad feeling that the trips would be magnified by 10 if she had a very long dress while wearing heels.

IC: Mrs. Llyan,

"I'll see what I can find," Mrs. Llyan said as she helped Colette to her feet and let her back to the dressing rooms.

Colette sighed in relief with a nod, as she walked back to the change room, and once again changed into just her t-shirt and pants, and peeked her head out the door this time. After the last time, she didn't expect to need to actually head out.

IC: The Seatons

A short while after Zach left, Olivia and Dahlia exited the boutique, new dress in hand. "Hold on a moment, I think I have some decent flats back home." Olivia said once approaching the dance hall, sending out Amethyst. While Olivia waited for the Gardevoir to come back with the shoes, Dahlia decided to head in and find Zach to say a few things. Finding him, Dahlia tapped on his shoulder to grab his attention.
"Hey, just gonna say a few things to you before Olivia shows up." she started, smiling warmly. "If you're nervous, well, that's understandable, but so is Olivia. She could use a little help loosening up, if you can get over for your doubt for a second, you might be able to help her." she finished, thinking for a second. "You know, I can tell she's been looking forward to this, even if she wasn't looking forward to the dress at all." she said with a slight chuckle. "And well, if you want to make this a great experience, just be true to yourself." Dahlia finished, looking reassuringly over at Zach.

IC: Ruth Fishers

"Okay, Hone Claws, to give those hits you'll be dishing out more umph!" Ruth commanded eagerly, the Hawlucha taking a moment to not only raise its Attack, but the accuracy of its future hits.

Edited by Phoenix Zero

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

The first thing Colette saw when she poked her head out the door was her mother sliding a third dress under the door to the dressing room. "Here, Colette," she called. "Try this one on."

True to her word, Mrs. Llyan had found a shorter dress. Much shorter. It was a dark red sleeveless mini-dress with straps.

-==IC: Zach==-

Zach nodded, taking in the advice, as he smiled.

"Yeah... She was telling me about the dance stuff last night... It's actually partly why I suggested to try and find a place where we could dance..." Zach said with a small smile, as he nodded again.

"I'll try my best, though... Be true to myself?" Zach asked, as he looked at Dahlia quizzically, wondering what exactly she could have meant.

Colette blinked, as she frowned at the dress.

... I... Colette poked her head out the door again, a confused look on her face.

"Mom, this... Is this a shirt??"

"No, it's a dress," Colette's mother laughed. "A mini-dress. You told me you wanted to go shorter. Go ahead, try it on! I'm sure you'll look ravishing in it."

Colette blushed, and pulled her head back into the dressing room, as she looked at the very short dress.

... Mom, there's more than just two extremes... She thought, as she changed out of her top and pants again, and frowned, as she looked at the mini-dress again, and then sighed, and then tried it on. It was a bit longer than she had anticipated, but it still was... short. Colette walked out, as she tugged the bottom hem of the skirt portion down a bit, looking at it skeptically. She examined herself in the mirror after that, and thought.

"It's cooler, and isn't too bad really, but..." Colette looked at her legs, considering the bottom portion of the mini-dress didn't even reach her knees, and without anything to go with the mini-dress leggings wise, it would just be very awkward.

IC: The Seatons

Dahlia stood tilting her head to the side, wonderigng for a moment how to express what she had meant. Suddenly, she looked behind herself and grinned. "Looks like Olivia's here, good luck." Dahlia said, quickly walking out from where she came, Olivia entering the dance hall.

"Oh, Z-Zach, hey!" she quickly called after, walking towards Zach quickly, brushing her red hair which was currently not in a ponytail off to the side.

"I think we have our winner!" Colette's mother clapped with a smile, ignorant to her daughter's embarassment. "Colette, you look wonderful! Do you think this is the one?"

Edited by Konuju

Colette shook her head in response, as she tugged on the bottom of the skirt again lightly, to try and make it sit lower without actually ripping it.

"I'm... not sure about the colour... And it's, well, a bit too short..." Colette said with a slight frown.

Zach turned around and his eyes widened, as he just froze, shocked by how his friend looked. Olivia was wearing a two tone sleeveless dress which was light red on the top half, and dark red on the bottom with a shade in between on the sash that was wrapped around her waist. The dress came to the girl's knees, and the straps were a rather nice touch, fitting well with the rest of the outfit and Olivia's hair, which was currently down, and very much not in a ponytail. Zach, despite how he had been wanting to reassure Olivia that things would be awesome, and now just to tell her how amazing she looked, simply could not find any words to that regard, as he was just speechless.

Edited by Colette Llyan

Mrs. Llyan

"Well hurry up, then," Mrs. Llyan said, shooing Colette back into the dressing room. "We haven't got all day."

Colette's mother picked out dress after dress for her daughter to try on. And time after time the dress in question was either too loose, too small, too revealing, or too modest. Colette tried on what felt like every dress in the store and none of them seemed to be perfectly comfortable.

"Here," Mrs. Llyan said, shoving her latest choice -- a corset and old fashioned frilly dress -- into Colette's arms. "You'll look like a dashing young princess at a royal ball, waiting for a Prince Charming to sweep you off your feet!"

"I-I see..." Colette said, as she both doubted that, and wasn't entirely sure that was something she wanted.

"But... How do I do this up?" Colette asked, looking confusedly at the corset that she was holding, having never worn one at all before.

"Here, let me help you," Mrs. Llyan said, pushing herself into the dressing room behind Colette. She helped her daughter change into the dress, then took a step back to admire her handiwork. "Colette, you look beautiful in that dress! Colette in a corset -- that has a nice ring to it."

Without warning, Mrs. Llyan whirled her daughter around and began to tightly lace up the back of the dress. With surprising strength she pulled each of the laces taught, starting at the lower back. The corset constricted around Colette's stomach with enough force to make her start to regret eating such a big meal. Then Colette's mother slowly but surely (and painfully, for Colette,) worked her way up.

It was like a cocoon -- a beautiful, ornate, lung-crushing cocoon. "Wear this one, Colette, and you'll be the highlight of the night," Mrs. Llyan assured her daughter as she tightened the dress around Colette's chest. The dress didn't even need straps; unlike the first dress Colette had tried on, this one was so tight that it was definitely not going anywhere.

Colette gasped for air, which wasn't really working due to just how tight the corset had been tied.

"Mom.... can't breathe..." Colette gasped out, as she fell forward, fainting from the lack of air and painfulness of the tightly tied dress.

IC: Olivia Seaton

While Zach was simply gaping in awe, Olivia looked back blinking, as everything in her sight moved out of focus to zoom in onto Zach. Having not seen Zach in non-casual attire for a while now, she was surprised at what a few years did to Zach in his current suit. Saying nothing, Olivia found Zach overall to look charming and handsome, with the addition of his old glasses accentuating that and bringing images of the first dance. After a period of awkward silence, Olivia pushed her hair aside, still not used to having it down. "....You, uh, you okay there?" she asked, trying to see if Zach was still living in reality.

When Olivia asked him if he was alright, Zach realized he had to say something, and therefore just said what came to mind first.

"Liv... You look absolutely beautiful..." Zach said, his shocked look turning to a smile, as he was still stunned by just how Olivia looked in her outfit. It was just a simple change, but such a difference made her look different, and just highlighted what he had already noticed to be rather nice. He also noticed her staring at him in a similar fashion, but didn't comment on that, because he was still trying to find words otherwise.

IC: Jake

"Alright then, use Focus Energy, and follow up with a Karate Chop!" Machop held still for a second, until a blue glow surrounded his body. Making use of his overly-large leg muscles, he sprang towards his opponent, one hand's fingers pressed together and emitting a white glow from his hand.

"Oh, thank goodness you're awake," Mrs. Llyan said as Colette groggily opened her eyes. She was lying on a bench outside the boutique, her head in her mother's lap. She was wearing her t-shirt and pants, with the jacket draped over the side of the bench. "I'm so sorry about that," Mrs. Llyan smiled, running a gentle hand through her daughter's hair. "I guess the corset wasn't such a good idea. How are you feeling?"

IC: Olivia Seaton

Upon hearing Zach's compliment, Olivia's eyes widened even further as she was taken slightly aback by what he said. "....O-Oh?" she finally stuttered, a noticeable blush on her face. "....You mean it?" she mused, as that was the last thing she expected to hear from her friend. B-Beautiful?  she pondered, completely sure that she somehow heard him wrong.

IC: Ruth Fishers

"Flying Press!" she bellowed forth along with a hand sweep, Fuerte leaping at just the last moment possible high into the air, leaving the Machop to strike nothing. Using his increased perception from the Hone Claws, the Hawlucha fell gracefully from his lofty vantage, aiming to come crashing down on his hopefully befuddled foe.

Colette blinked, as she looked around, smiling slightly.

"Sore." Colette said with a wince as she breathed in, still feeling a twinge of pain, but mostly just from the after effects of what happened.

"Better than just now though." Colette said with a weak chuckle, as she scratched her head.

"Guess that didn't really go well, though..." Colette said, as the shopping had gone about how she figured, and without anything for that night.

Zach nodded with a smile, and blushed slightly as well.

"Definitely. I mean, you're always beautiful, but, well, everything just suits you very well, and adds to that..." Zach said, not realizing exactly the implications of saying what he said.

"Well, we're running short on time," Colette's mother said. "I don't know if we'll have time to try on a whole lot more dresses, so maybe you should just pick something from what you've already tried. You had some red marks on your back from the corset. I don't know if they're still there, but you might want to avoid the low back dresses." Mrs. Llyan sighed. "If you want you can look around the store a bit to see if you see something you like, but we've got to make a decision quick if you want to make it to that dance on time."