Well, pure power and training is almost worthless without a good strategy in mind. Even a Magikarp could become useful with a proper strategy.

Edited by Kung Fu Rahkshi Destroyer

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

Well, pure power and training is almost worthless without a good strategy in mind. Even a Magikarp could become useful with a proper strategy.

Its all in strategy and stats. You neeeeeeddd to plan your team and know their moves, stats, abilities, types, and items. I have some ev trained pokemon, but it takes more than ev power to win, my Growlithe, Z-pup, is EV trained, but his moves are planned around types, and abilites. His move flame charge raises his speed, i gave him an eviolite to boost his defense and sp. defense (Since growlithe don't have the best defenses) and he has flare blitz, wild charge and iron tail for type advantages and last resorts. Also, if a pokemon has a high Attack stat, teach it physical moves, and if it has a high sp. attack, teach it special moves. So just to recap:-know the stats-know the moves and their effects-know the abilities-use the right items-plan the moves to protect them against their disadvantages-use a variety of moves-use moves that are improved by stats

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

Its all in strategy and stats. You neeeeeeddd to plan your team and know their moves, stats, abilities, types, and items. I have some ev trained pokemon, but it takes more than ev power to win, my Growlithe, Z-pup, is EV trained, but his moves are planned around types, and abilites. His move flame charge raises his speed, i gave him an eviolite to boost his defense and sp. defense (Since growlithe don't have the best defenses) and he has flare blitz, wild charge and iron tail for type advantages and last resorts. Also, if a pokemon has a high Attack stat, teach it physical moves, and if it has a high sp. attack, teach it special moves. So just to recap:-know the stats-know the moves and their effects-know the abilities-use the right items-plan the moves to protect them against their disadvantages-use a variety of moves-use moves that are improved by stats
Give it Close Combat instead of Iron Tail. Sure, the defense drops kinda negate your Eviolite, but it'll be less frustrating if you miss at a critical moment and lose all momentum in a battle. Besides, after a Flame Charge or two, you won't be easily revenge killed [unless Scarf Terrakion but Terrakion destroys everything so don't feel bad], so the defense won't really help you none.Team synergy is probably the most important thing to keep in mind when building a team. I had a mono Dark team once that doubled as a dedicated Sun team- Shiftry and Houndoom were my primary sweepers. I caught enough people in Monotype off guard with it to build a really, really healthy W:L ratio.I guess what I'm getting at is individual sets won't do anything for you. You need teammates to cover your Pokemon's weaknesses, and help it excell. Scizor is a great late game sweeper, just Choice Banded with Bullet Punch, but it won't get much sweeping done unless you have a Fire type to deal with Ferrothorn or Magnezone, etc.Unless you have Terrakion then screw teammates. Edited by ~JC~

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Give it Close Combat instead of Iron Tail. Sure, the defense drops kinda negate your Eviolite, but it'll be less frustrating if you miss at a critical moment and lose all momentum in a battle. Besides, after a Flame Charge or two, you won't be easily revenge killed [unless Scarf Terrakion but Terrakion destroys everything so don't feel bad], so the defense won't really help you none.Team synergy is probably the most important thing to keep in mind when building a team. I had a mono Dark team once that doubled as a dedicated Sun team- Shiftry and Houndoom were my primary sweepers. I caught enough people in Monotype off guard with it to build a really, really healthy W:L ratio.I guess what I'm getting at is individual sets won't do anything for you. You need teammates to cover your Pokemon's weaknesses, and help it excell. Scizor is a great late game sweeper, just Choice Banded with Bullet Punch, but it won't get much sweeping done unless you have a Fire type to deal with Ferrothorn or Magnezone, etc.Unless you have Terrakion then screw teammates.
Actually, I would use close combat but it iron tail works on rock and poison types. But I have other Pokemon such as Crush ( that blue turtle Pokemon in ilunova), meta (argon), driller (rhydon) and other types to support him. I was using my grow lithe as an example, he is not te main Pokemon I use, I use blade(gallade) digger(excadrill) and valor(braviary) most of te time to. I typically have many teams based on type, stats and move sets like how with mega(golurk) and valor together when mega uses earthquake or z and Caleb (togekiss) with Caleb using fire blast on z, and z can use flame charge or flare blitz to beat ice types that could hurt Caleb. Don't say I don't plan my attacks, I make sure my teams have a fighting chance.

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

Except Close Combat is also Super Effective on Rock types and Flare Blitz hits Poison types harder anyways.

Well I'm not wanting to go trough the stupid breeding process again to get it, it took me two days to get my grow lithe to hatch with the brave natureWhat's your friend code? Let's have a battle Edited by Zacax

Aw that sucks, hmmm that might be a good idea...but then it will take a long time I heart him to lvl 100

Red. There's no real discussion in this. Red beat Blue, Red was only beaten by Ethan partly because of Revive/Full Restore spam, Blue is Blue... I think that if there was a tournament-like rematch, Red would definitely win.

Red. There's no real discussion in this. Red beat Blue, Red was only beaten by Ethan partly because of Revive/Full Restore spam, Blue is Blue... I think that if there was a tournament-like rematch, Red would definitely win.

Oh, please. Ethan got 16 badges, defeated the Elite Four twice in the main story, and then beat Red. Besides, there are also those out there who beat Red through hard work and training, not to mention strategy. So, honestly, I think your judgement is due to personal preference over facts.

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

Actually, Ethan doesn't defeat the Elite Four twice in the same story, otherwise we can use the argument that Lucas/Dawn could destroy both of them, simply because they defeated the E4 enough to power Barry up to full power and then thrashed him, in the main story.And technically the Kanto Gym Leaders were nerfed, or at least Blue was.And while there might be people who defeated Red with strategy, you'd still need Pokemon near the 100 mark, and careful switching to avoid getting OHKOd by different things... And a way to take out the hail, if we're going off Gen 4.

My Gyarados died in my FireRed Nuzlocke.I just hit the power button.I didn't wanna play.~That 'nickname your Pokemon so you get attached to them' is a legit rule. In the normal game, even if their nicknamed, you don't really care, they'll come back. In a Nuzlocke... I was literally dumbfounded. I lost my swiffer wet jet... to a Koffing that knew Self Destruct...I'm... hurt, honestly. I'm quite upset by this.Anyways.Blue wasn't anywhere near as awesome as his anime counterpart. Gary had an entourage of cheerleaders, not Blue. Gary was a scientist, not Blue. Gary has 10 badges in Kanto, not blue. You can't ignore Gary's girth, Blue's girth is very ignorable.

^ I've started nicknaming every pokémon I use on replays so that I feel more for them. Its a nice thing to do, makes them feel more alive, much easier to stick them with an identity when they have their own name.

CrazyFace-Copy.jpg

Even when trapped by Karma's cycle, the dreams we left behind will open the door! Even if the universe stands in our way,

our seething blood will determine what will be! We'll break through time and space, and defy all who would stop us to take hold of our path!

~

JC: Okay, I concede that point, Gary is more awesome than in-game Blue, but the more emotionless Blue/Green from Pokemon Adventures is much better than in-game Blue anyway. =P But, even still, I'd say that Red's slightly more awesome, though it really is too close to say who's better(Red's awesome, but so is Gold/Ethan.).

GARY OAK IS THE BEST PERSON EVER I'M GOING AS HIM FOR HALLOWEEN@artezza: That's different, though. I nickname all my Pokemon, too, but you just don't get as upset when they die because they'll come back.okokokok- Pokemon AshGray. If you haven't heard of it, do a Google search, there are some Let's Plays of it [idk where though it's like your tube of toothpaste, hard to find sometimes] but it's a really, really great moderator of FireRed, I'm having a lot of fun with it, I know you guys will too. :]

Edited by ~JC~

I should try a Nuzlocke sometime...I was doing a playthrough of Emerald, and I got to Victory Road, but...

Edited by Ddude the Insane

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

Emeralds so boring. The Hoenn Dex is so lame, only has a few cool Pokes and half of them aren't even good in Gen III. The narration is so bad, too. Sure it's like this intense conflict between rival gangs but half the game I don't even get to see them. Kanto games kinda had that too but Kanto games had cool Pokemon, Gary Oak, and a better region to make up for it.

Hoenn was big, that's what it had going for it, but it was too big. It'd be fine if you fought more Team Aqua or Magma but it's just a lot of 'Uhhh ok so where am I going next and why am I going there'.Best region = Sinnoh. Good size, cool Pokemon, lot of involvement from Team Galactic, Team Galactic was probably just the best Team in general. I think it also benefit a lot from the Physical/Special split, so you could finally use the coolest Pokemon to their full potential. Gengar and Gyarados, in particular.

Edited by ~JC~

I definitely agree the ole' Physical/Special split is something Emerald could have used, but Emerald was the first Pokemon game that I got deeply into. I played it at a time when I didn't even understand the limitations of games, so to me it seemed like an endless world to explore. I know that sounds a little corny, but I'm really attached to RSE because of that. I also really like the Pokemon designs in that game. Even if they are horrible in battle (lookin' at you, Tropius :P).So anyway, after about 30 seconds of thinking, I went ahead and reset my Emerald to start a Nuzlocke. My team consists ofFireturkey (Torchic) Level 7 (Couldn't think of a good nickname :P)Grouchy (Poocheyana) Level 5Moving Hat (Lotad) Level 5All Pokemon I don't mind having...thus far.

Edited by Ddude the Insane

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

Hoenn was definately my favourite region (specifically in Emerald, for that amazing battle frontier) by far. A lot of the pokemon had great designs, IMO, even if they weren't great in battle. However, the physical/special split has helped a lot, so if we ever see remakes these games will be even better.It is dissapointing about some of the older pokemon that appear in the games, but overall a lot of the new pokemon were amazing:Weather trio, Lati@s, Metagross, Salamence, Blaziken, Swampert, Swellow, Shiftry (design)

black_-_the_host.png

I've never played the 3rd Generation games, but after playing Black, I can't really go back to Pearl (it felt slow to me because I play Black on my 3DS, and the last time I played Pearl was a few weeks ago on my old DS lite.). Nowadays use Pearl for Poke Transfer.

Diploma_dope.jpg

GROUNDER! PLAY MY VICTORY TUNE!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3763-3800 (Matthew)

Also on the topic of Hoenn: the Regi are my favorite trio and the methods of unlocking them was pretty cool too.Honestly, I don't care too much about the quality of the Pokemon in it. There's enough to make the game interesting, and to give you good options for a team, and that's enough for story mode.~B~

My favorite story was Johto, if only for the length, but Hoenn was definitely my favorite region, and has the best characters too. Plus, it had some great Pokemon; not as awesome as Gen I-II, but way more interesting stuff than the baloney of Gen IV and V

Metagross and Salamence aren't even available until the postgame, and Shiftry is great in battle I'll have you know.

but aren't a lot of pokemon in each generation restricted to the post game?and I can't believe I overlooked the regis. Gen 3 just had so much packed into it that made it awesome. everything in Gen 3 just seemed to click for me and it all worked really well.
black_-_the_host.png

My favorite story was Johto, if only for the length, but Hoenn was definitely my favorite region, and has the best characters too. Plus, it had some great Pokemon; not as awesome as Gen I-II, but way more interesting stuff than the baloney of Gen IV and V

Millions of Pokemon die each year to the cancer we call 'nostalgia'. Do your part, donate today, and stop killing Pokemon. Thank you. :]God, those people irritate me. Not saying you're one of those people Dorek mind you, you just kinda reminded me of it, but those people, you know, those kids who -only- played Pokemon during Gens I and II, so they see like Gen IV Pokes and they're like 'ewwwww give me that Charizard you're stupiiiiid' and they talk like cheerleaders, yaa? Das annoying, ya? Cuz like errk the games gotten so much better, but they're all smug about their childhood, so they're 'too good' to play with Black and White.@Renegade: Yeah they are, sure, but in Hoenn it was a huuuge problem since Metagross was the coolest Pokemon by far and would always be on my team forever and ever but it's NOT cause it CAN'T BE. Also it bothers me that Tyranitar can't be caught before the Elite 4. But that's not Hoenn. Okay that's crazy, somebody get me on the phone with GameFreak, I'm demanding they remake HGSS. Actually no that's stupid. But it's still irritating.And seriously the Hoenn Dex is so lame. Gengar isn't in it. IT IS THE ONLY DEX WITH NO GENGAR. Nobody mention Unova. That has nothing OG in it. It's got all the new kids on the block. Ok I'm being stupid. But seriously Hoenn, get Gengar up in this.

Right you people seem pretty much in the know about pokemon, care to help me out a bit?I've been thinking of making a new team for wifi battles in generation v but when I get to it my brain always stalls on which pokemon to choose and what team to make.Do I lead with choice scarf Darmanitan? do I keep my Garchomp or use someone new? and so on and so forth.So does anyone have a good team building strategy or tips they can give me, because at this rate it'll be generation six by the time I'm finished.

Millions of Pokemon die each year to the cancer we call 'nostalgia'. Do your part, donate today, and stop killing Pokemon. Thank you. :]God, those people irritate me. Not saying you're one of those people Dorek mind you, you just kinda reminded me of it, but those people, you know, those kids who -only- played Pokemon during Gens I and II, so they see like Gen IV Pokes and they're like 'ewwwww give me that Charizard you're stupiiiiid' and they talk like cheerleaders, yaa? Das annoying, ya? Cuz like errk the games gotten so much better, but they're all smug about their childhood, so they're 'too good' to play with Black and White.@Renegade: Yeah they are, sure, but in Hoenn it was a huuuge problem since Metagross was the coolest Pokemon by far and would always be on my team forever and ever but it's NOT cause it CAN'T BE. Also it bothers me that Tyranitar can't be caught before the Elite 4. But that's not Hoenn. Okay that's crazy, somebody get me on the phone with GameFreak, I'm demanding they remake HGSS. Actually no that's stupid. But it's still irritating.And seriously the Hoenn Dex is so lame. Gengar isn't in it. IT IS THE ONLY DEX WITH NO GENGAR. Nobody mention Unova. That has nothing OG in it. It's got all the new kids on the block. Ok I'm being stupid. But seriously Hoenn, get Gengar up in this.
See, I hate those people too, but at the same time, Gen IV had some pretty ridiculous stuff. Not to mention every other Pokemon being a legendary. I still love the games (Sinnoh is actually a really interesting region) but Hoenn definitely ranks in terms of location. Unova was pretty meh. Interesting layout, but the availability of things (such as Black City and White Forest, which were flat out dumb) suffered because of it.Also I totally didn't even realize that Hoenn didn't have Gengar. That IS lame. Gengar is awesome. That said, if we do get Gen III remakes in the future, the evolutions of Gen IV (Dusknoir, Gallade, and so on) will definitely open up the game for that.

Stop taking me so literally I'm just playing with you. xPAnyways. I started playing through my Platinum again, for the lols. Got an Old Rod, decided I wanted a Gyarados, and started fishing. I didn't want to settle for a low level one so I fished for about two hours [*shrug*] and I ended up catching one that was Lv10, which was pretty high on the spectrum, highest I'd seen, and to put the icing on the cake it turned out to be Adamant. Moral of the story kids, is don't do drugs. Err, no, I think it's good things come to those who wait. Yeah, try that one.