BZPRPG - Le-Wahi

IC: ??? - Bar in Nokama Port

"...Not formally." The being responded, drinking about half of the tall drink she'd ordered with seemingly no difficulty, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. Le-Matoran ale, she had to say, might even top the alcohol she had fleeting memories drinking in Seprilli, in taverns and pubs not unlike this establishment.

"So, let us meet now." 

She stood up, her already impressive height even more obvious as she slowly walked over to Kiyaku, offering a hand to shake. 

OOC: @Krayzikk

Edited by Johnny Blocksville

“No. Sorry, kid, that’s the one thing you can never do.”

BZPRPG Arc 3 Profiles I GOBM Profiles

IC:

"Ah, that's right. You shake hands here, yes?"

Tall. Taller than the guise she currently wore, certainly, and probably taller than the truth. The same smile as before graced the Hau she seemed to wear; the locals for whatever reason seemed to regard the Kanohi, unconsciously, as trustworthy. Not that this women would know the difference but she reminded herself of what colors she appeared to be garbed in before she introduced herself. Zataka was always in the little details.

"Dastana Yumi, my lady." She shook the taller woman's hand and gestured at the seat across from her in invitation. "You might be?"

@Johnny Blocksville

• Like 2

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC: ??? - Bar in Nokama Port

"An honour to meet you, Dastana." 

The woman's smile wasn't quite friendly, but it was respectful. Kiyaku would get the sense she meant what she said. "I am a traveller in these lands. Ela Latos is my name. I would prefer you just call me Ela."

She sat as invited, placing the drink she'd ordered on the table with her left hand, opposite to Kiyaku, taking another gulp. Her stubby thumb drummed against the table as she leaned forward.

"I apologise for not greeting you earlier." Ela's fiery eyes were curious, still softly sizing Kiyaku up. "You seemed...busy."

IC:

"Only with learning. This land is very different from my own, but then, in some ways it's the same." The Dasaka sipped her own drink, gesturing about the bar with her other hand. "Learning what differs and what does not is an enterprise all its own. And an important one."

"Is it the same with your land?"

@Johnny Blocksville

• Like 1

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

IC: Ela Latos - Bar in Nokama Port

"Learning. Hmm. It seemed more than that." Ela mused, a glint in her burning eyes. "...But no matter. My kind...and the Skakdi, we have only just begun to remember our home. It is as you say - different but similar. I think I prefer it here."

She leaned slightly on her chair.

"A sword among purses finds itself blunt." The Lesterin finally said, with a satisfied smile.

IC:

Ah, a brain underneath.

"Learning. Observing. Studying. Taking advantage of opportunity where I may, perhaps." The Dasaka allowed, acknowledging the point with a nod of her head. "Those unwise with where they place their hands and their purses may find them a touch lighter. But without a purse you can ill afford to sharpen a blade, can you?"

@Johnny Blocksville

• Like 1

fK5oqYf.jpg

"I don't see it that way." The Lesterin finished the rest of her drink, tempted to order another but deciding against it for now.

"Your land, Dastana, is it one that values combat highly?" She leaned forward. Her faux Mahiki fixed itself into a look of deep interest.

• 3 weeks later...

IC - Degrees of Uncertainty (Kultax; staggering through Nokama Port)

It’s been a long time since you’ve heard from me.

How are you? I hope you’re well. I’m beginning to have to accept that something is hopelessly wrong.

I feel like a statue. Like someone cut my nose off.

I think you told me once that everything is a cycle. I think this was meant to be comforting, that an end is also a beginning. Right now I think that it means every moment is indistinguishable from any other given enough time.

I’m not sure where in the cycle I am right now. I’m not sure it matters.

I wish I could remember your name.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 3:28 AM, Johnny Blocksville said:

"I don't see it that way." The Lesterin finished the rest of her drink, tempted to order another but deciding against it for now.

"Your land, Dastana, is it one that values combat highly?" She leaned forward. Her faux Mahiki fixed itself into a look of deep interest.

IC:

An interesting question, Kiyaku reflected.

"No. And yes." The Dasaka took a long drink from her glass, tapping its side thoughtfully with a finger. "The skill of combat, the art of it, is prized above almost all. Every Menti, one of my caste, is trained at the Imperial Yards in the psionic arts. Every one of them, each in its own way, a type of combat. And most intertwined with practices of a physical sort. Within our three Virtues, fraternal twins to those I'm told you follow here, is Power."

"But the nature of combat, the times it can be carried out, is organized. Rigidly so. Conflict on any grand scale has not occurred since the last Fursic Uprising some years ago. So yes, I would say it is valued. But seldom practiced in earnest."

fK5oqYf.jpg

"Organisation of combat to that degree...turning it into a simple demonstration, a practice..."

The woman pondered the idea.

"...That training is for nought without testing the warrior's mettle proper." She decided, meeting Kiyaku's eyes again. "That said...the level of dedication to the art is something I haven't often seen. Have you ever met the Skakdi?"

IC:

"The Chaotic Six."

The revulsion in Kiyaku's voice wasn't feigned; the woman had done some disdainful things in her time as a privateer, but never for the simple desire for cruelty. Money was an impersonal motivator. Cruelty was no more personal but infinitely more emotional. There was no purpose to it, no need. So while she had not had the misfortune of meeting the Chaotic Six personally their example was one she disdained. And it had made her wary when dealing with the members of their ilk here.

"Never personally. But six of them arrived on our shores some months ago, probably a couple of years now. First outsiders we had seen in recorded history. The violent nature of their visit and departure inspired the name with which the Umbralines prefer to refer to them. Why?"

@Johnny Blockesville

fK5oqYf.jpg

"Aye." Ela nodded in affirmation, head tilting at the mention of the Chaotic Six. Had they visited Kiyaku's people too?

"My race are more familiar than others with the Skakdi...from what I remember of my home, it was quite close to theirs." Her eyes closed, in thought. "I mention them because their culture necessitates warfare without practice or purpose. Some seem to derive pleasure from it."

She did shirk away from the idea that perhaps she wasn't so different in that way.

"...The Skakdi seem to be your people's opposite. They partake in cruelty, using combat to vie for power without using the crossing of blades as a higher purpose, as a pursuit. It is...hedonism, I suppose the word is." 

Ela's eyes opened. "My point, I think, is that your people are unique, even here. It is quite a privilege to have met you. I hope you don't mind me saying that."

• 2 weeks later...

IC:

"Not at all." Kiyaku smiled, raising her glass in casual salute to the Lesterin. "I consider it a privilege to have met you and learn of your people, as well. So few of us had made the journey here before now. I expect you will be seeing much more of us now."

"What do you remember of your home? We never knew where the Chaotic Six came from, and only discovered your island in pursuing them."

@Johnny Blocksville

fK5oqYf.jpg

Ela smiled properly for the first time in the conversation, unintentionally looking quite uncomfortable. Then she asked of her own home.

What do I remember of Seprilli?

A good question.

"...A lot of Seprilli feels as if I'm recalling a dream. I remember the ocean waves, and the bartering and drinking. The taste of the ale, for example. I speak ill of the Skakdi but I seem to remember many of them settling there somewhat peacefully. Zakaz, conversely, is blurry but also quite vivid." Flashes of past moments rang through the Lesterin's mind as she spoke to Kiyaku.

"I do intend to visit again. Perhaps soon. But of course...unfinished matters here should be attended to, first."

IC:

"The most vivid memories are like that, I think. Tactile. The senses stick with us the most, not the facts. If I think of home I think of warm rice wine, the smell of the coast, the feel of Imperial dragons clinking in my hand." 'Yumi' closed her eyes, allowing the memories to flow through her. "It's why Willhammers have a tell, I think. Some sort of sensation through which we interpret the uniqueness of their presence."

She opened her eyes again and smiled.

"Your unfinished business. Should you need assistance, I would be happy to give it. An act of service is a good way to make a friend, no? And in a new land, we all need the friends that we can make."

@Johnny Blocksville

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: Ela Latos - Bar in Nokama Port (making friends)

Willhammers?

Ela assumed by the context clues that this was in reference to herself, perhaps the specific discipline in which she'd seen her engage earlier. The offer of her help satisfied Ela, allowing her to move in for the question:

"...Would any of those that accompanied you, perhaps participate in a friendly contest of strength? In fact, would you?"

IC:

"That depends on which strength." Genuine amusement glimmered in her eyes as 'Yumi' set down her glass. With the same hand she gestured casually between them. "I'm sure on my crew you could find those who could provide you with a purely physical challenge. My own strengths, alas, do not run in that direction. Not that I would not be willing to oblige you. You simply would be bored, I think."

"But if you would not be too frustrated by the additional dimension, I suspect you've never had an opportunity to spar with a Dasaka." She shrugged. "With my own discipline in play, I think I could provide you at least a novel challenge."

@Johnny Blocksville

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:

"From what I have seen, and what I have heard, your 'Toa' deal primarily in the physical. The Skakdi seem much the same, though even more directly. I cannot speak so specifically to what your people can do but I can see, clearly, that you wear a Kanohi the same as I. Though I admit I do not recognize the design." The Dasaka gestured at her own face to illustrate the point, then more generally at herself. "My people deal with the mind. Of the five Imperial disciplines, the first every Dasaka possesses. Even our Dashi can receive thoughts on the mental plane, though they cannot send them."

"Of the other four every Menti is trained in one. Some are trained in two, and those that are trained in three are awarded the title of Battlemaster. To know four is only ancient, and perhaps apocryphal, history. Two of those discplines deal with the mind, and two with how the mind shapes the world." She gestured to the Lesterin. "I can see, quite clearly, that you are physically stronger than I am. Not that I am unfit, but in pure strength you would win and win handily. I doubt that would interest you. I can offer instead the chance to face my own discipline in the safety of a bout. All the tools at your disposal versus the tools at mine, a chance for you to learn something of how a Dasaka may fight before anything truly vital is at stake."

@Johnny Blocksville

fK5oqYf.jpg

She momentarily wondered if Kiyaku had read her mind. The Dasaka's words intrigued, and more-on, excited Ela. This was exactly what her migration to the Toa homeland had been for. 

"You read me well." She smirked, standing up from her chair. "I accept your accord, and I am honoured that you would grace me with that privilege."

IC:

"I'm happy to oblige." The Dasaka said easily, rising from her own chair. Her full height was less than Ela's, shorter and more compact. A crystal short sword at her side spoke of a weapon for self defense, a notion reinforced by the friendly looking Hau she wore. To spar with the woman would reveal as much to Kiyaku as vice versa, and knowledge was always important. She gestured for Ela to follow and walked quietly out of the bar, heading deeper into the port town to find a place suitable for their practice.

The grounds near the lighthouse seemed their best option, so she headed in that direction.

@Johnny Blocksville

fK5oqYf.jpg

The Lesterin almost immediately realised that reading Kiyaku would be impossible until she engaged her in combat. Her kit seemed to be deliberately unremarkable, and by Ela's experience, those who carried such quiet confidence and lack of insecurity were some of the most dangerous combatants. She'd yet to understand the Dasaka's true range of abilities - so perhaps this chance meeting was fate. 

"What do you know of the Toa?" Ela asked of her new acquaintance, as they walked.

IC:

"The Toa?" The Dasaka drummed a finger on her leg thoughtfully. "Precious little, I admit. I've observed them a little since I arrived. Before then all I knew were rumors from the first expedition. They seem much like you or I physically. Kanohi of course, again. Their powers however strike me as simply unbelievable."

@Johnny Blocksville

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: Ela Latos - En route to duel location

"Quite." Ela agreed. "I've yet to challenge one to combat, but I've seen their powers in action - unbelievably dangerous."

Kiyaku might have called the tone of that last word lustful as Ela said it.

"I hope our battle will serve as ample preparation, when the time comes for me to overcome that goal. Perhaps it will serve as preparation for you, too."

@Krayzikk

• 2 weeks later...

IC:

"You see? I learn more with every word." About you as well as the land, Kiyaku added to herself beneath her genial smile. The Menti gestured broadly about herself, indicating the clear if rough area set about the base of the lighthouse. Likely from its construction though the ground had long been reclaimed by time. "Would this be a suitable arena for our bout for you, Ms. Latos?"

@Johnny Blocksville

IC:

"Our master's servants have ever been more fickle than our foe's." Eisen acknowledged the compliment with a nod, polite but slightly absent; his mind had turned to the matters at hand. The number and names of the assets left available, their whereabouts, and how to gather the further manpower that would be required. "Such is their right, even if it isn't wise. Echelon is dead. His mismanagement drove out the Brotherhood. The Piraka are nowhere to be found, and their alliance was one of convenience anyway. Of the seven that had been Echelon's inner circle only Agrona and I remain. The other three are scattered."

"Seizing Ko-Koro was a bold stroke but we should never have tried to hold it for long. It was too costly." The first traces of a frown crossed his face. "More will emerge. It is always so. But for the moment we should scout a target, and see what assistance we might flush out of hiding at the same time."

@ARROW404

• Like 2

fK5oqYf.jpg

20 hours ago, Krayzikk said:

IC:

"Our master's servants have ever been more fickle than our foe's." Eisen acknowledged the compliment with a nod, polite but slightly absent; his mind had turned to the matters at hand. The number and names of the assets left available, their whereabouts, and how to gather the further manpower that would be required. "Such is their right, even if it isn't wise. Echelon is dead. His mismanagement drove out the Brotherhood. The Piraka are nowhere to be found, and their alliance was one of convenience anyway. Of the seven that had been Echelon's inner circle only Agrona and I remain. The other three are scattered."

"Seizing Ko-Koro was a bold stroke but we should never have tried to hold it for long. It was too costly." The first traces of a frown crossed his face. "More will emerge. It is always so. But for the moment we should scout a target, and see what assistance we might flush out of hiding at the same time."

@ARROW404

IC: Ushadra

"Echelon's ambitions led him to rise above the shadows where our strength lies," she agreed. Her image stepped off the ground and proceeded to hover alongside Eisen, her true footfalls muted with her power. A playful use of her power, but also one that kept her alert and practiced her skills, power warmed up and prepared for trouble.

"Ahh, 'scout', how I love the word," she sang softly, her smile ever etched onto the image she showed, slightly widening at the prospect. "A task so uniquely suited to my skills. Do elaborate, partner of mine; I am at your behest."

BZPRPG Profiles
If I go AWOL for a while, feel free to contact me via Discord

IC: Ela Latos - Lighthouse

"More than suitable."

She began to stretch, one long arm over the other elbow, and then the reverse. Practiced movements, more just an excuse for mental preparation. 

"Weapons or no weapons?" She asked of the Menti. Ultimately, it mattered not either way. Her skills with the blade were equal, perhaps even less than her striking ability. But she didn't intend to go all out, this was an education in Kiyaku's people rather than a self indulgent brawl. Though she supposed if Kiyaku's skill were impressive, she might not be able to help herself.

In any case, she got into a basic battle stance, side on, left hand toward Kiyaku, the other floating by her face.

IC:

"With, but if it's all the same let's avoid shedding blood, yes?" The Dasaka laughed softly, drawing the blade from her side without settling into any particular stance. "I like mine where it is, if it's all the same to you."

@Johnny Blocksville

fK5oqYf.jpg

She flashed that awkward smile again as she moved out of stance for but a moment. She bent over forwards slightly, the iron blade glinting as it came out slowly, twirling in the Lesterin's hands when it was finally released. On paper, Ela would have the advantage. She already had a huge reach advantage barehanded because of her size compared to Kiyaku's, but Ela's weapon was also far longer and probably more versatile than Kiyaku's, judging by its shape.

But it wasn't Kiyaku's stature or armaments that had attracted Ela, nor what Kiyaku had offered to show. The unknown factor was often a frustration to certain fighters, ones desperate for victory or glory. Less purpose seekers than addicts.

For Ela, this was why she breathed.

Her stance was now reassumed, opting for front-on, orange eyes glimmering a sense of readiness and quiet excitement.

"Begin?"

• 4 weeks later...

IC:

Kiyaku nodded her assent, her own weapon readied. Ela struck, quick as can be, and for her preparation the Dasaka seemed to misread it entirely; her eyes widened, ready to defend the wrong side and too slow to correct her mistake. The Lesterin's blade struck home, embedded nearly to her spine, as the Dasaka stared numbly at herself in shocked silence. Her eyes widened, breathing shallow and quick, unable to understand how she had been wounded. Shaking hands reached for the wound at her side, blade still embedded, before her strength gave out entirely and she slumped to her knees-

And cool crystal, broad and flat, rested itself lightly on the back of Ela's neck.

@Johnny Blocksville

• Like 1

fK5oqYf.jpg

OOC: Recommended listening.

IC

My name is Korero.

You might know me as “Toa Korero Maru”. That’s who I’m supposed to be now. “Toa” isn’t a title: it’s a promise. To do what’s right, to stand united against the darkness, and to protect the people of the Great Spirit.

I’ve been thinking a lot about promises lately.

Before I was Toa Korero Maru, I was just Korero: just a little Matoran with his head in the clouds who stumbled his way into the web of fate. Into a Destiny. I wasn’t even a fighter; my Brothers and Sister all served their Koro before we became Toa, but I barely knew how to hold a spear. Sometimes that feels like a lifetime ago, and sometimes like it’s been no time at all. Sometimes I feel like I’m still just that little Matoran, play-acting at being a Toa. Sometimes I wonder why the Great Spirit chose me for this — and sometimes, when I’m at my lowest, I wonder if he even did. 

Faith. That’s another promise. Its symbol is there on my shield to remind people of that most intangible yet crucial of the Principles. By carrying that shield I’m promising that there is always hope, that people can rely on us, that Mata Nui will provide…but now, I’m not always sure I believe it myself.

Two years ago, we fought Makuta, and we won. Or we thought we did. We certainly said we did. That’s what we told the people of Mata Nui, and what I had the indescribable honour of carving into the Wall of History. It wasn’t a lie — not on my part, anyway. I believed it. I trusted Stannis when he told us that the power of his mask, the power of Mata Nui, had vanquished Makuta. The ways of the Great Spirit are mysterious, and Stannis was our leader. I had faith. I didn’t think I needed to ask questions. Sure, nobody said he was gone for good, but I let myself believe it, and I let the people of Mata Nui believe the same: that we could live in peace and prosperity, free of fear.

I didn’t learn the truth until later.

After the peace we’d built was shattered by the Piraka, we confronted Stannis. At first he wouldn’t talk, and I think that’s when my faith in him broke. Until then, Reordin and I had been the chalk-and-cheese of the team…but in that moment, we became a united front. We were the only ones who really stood up to him. I know Oreius was angry too, but duty always comes first with him. Leah tried to mediate, as she always does, and Sulov was as inscrutable as ever. Only Reo and I could bring ourselves to call Stannis out on his careful omissions. But he wouldn’t talk. It took more escalations — above all, Ko-Koro — for him to relent and explain that Makuta hadn’t been destroyed, only banished to the Legend. I still don’t really understand what the Legend is, but I now know it’s a far less impregnable prison than Stannis would’ve had us, and everyone else, believe.

Makuta is back. I’m sure of it. I’ve been to Kini-Nui — you can feel it there. Even in the brightest sunshine, you feel cold. In your bones. A prickle on the back of your neck, like you’re being watched. I don’t even dare go into Mangaia any more: the Rahkshi are moving, crawling out of whatever caves and crevices they’d retreated to after we cleared it out. They’re focused, they’re coordinated, and their numbers seemed to grow each time I scouted the tunnels. I think an attack is coming.

All this time, we let our people believe they were safe. That they could grow and build unthreatened. That it was the beginning of a golden age of peace. But it was only ever a brief reprieve: a long, deep breath before a second plunge. If they’d known he was coming back, they could’ve used that time to prepare, to build defences and unite their forces. I come back to the symbol on the shield: Faith. Hope. False hope is no hope at all, and a lie of omission is still a lie.

Promises. Before this all went to Karzahni, back when it really did feel like a lasting peace, I made another promise: to Kongu, the Akiri of Le-Koro. He’s a good man, a good leader, and a friend. I trust him, and I’m honoured to be the protector of his city. He’d just given a speech to usher in a “new dawn” for our people, and we walked together in the treetop streets. He hadn’t shown it in his speech, but he was troubled. I still remember what he asked of me:

"No matter how bad things get, no matter how things fall-break apart, no matter what happens, you and the Toa-hero Maru must remain allies until the last man. Do you understand me my friend?"

At the time I didn’t really understand. I couldn’t imagine a future where the Maru weren’t united. Now I understand what he was asking…and now I fear I can’t keep that promise.

Now more than ever, Mata Nui needs the Maru, and needs us united — not just as warriors, but as champions, as symbols. I know that. But a team needs a leader, and I don’t know if I can ever follow Stannis again. It’s not just about the principle of telling the truth; it’s about the consequences too. If the Akiri had known we wouldn’t be out from under the Shadow forever, they could’ve prepared for this. How many innocents will die because we — because he — never gave them that chance?

When I carved our story on the Wall, I left out the part about our predecessors. The First Toa, the Mata whose power lives on in us, descended into Mangaia long before we ever did…and they fell. Everyone knows that much. But they didn’t just fall: they were turned. Twisted into beings of Shadow. We faced them when we made our own descent, and we won, but the price of victory was the knowledge that even the greatest of heroes can become nightmares of Makuta. That part of the story isn’t on the Wall. We discussed it, as a team, and the decision was that it was best to let the memory of the First Toa remain pure…that the truth would do more harm than good. I disagreed, but I was outvoted, so I did as I was told and left it out: a little white lie, carved in the spaces between words. I didn’t even know I was carving one far bigger.

Lies of omission are. still. lies.

At the time I was blinded by the glory of our victory, and the honour of being asked to carve the fabled Wall of History. Now I don’t think I should’ve done it. I think that’s why we need Chroniclers: the quiet watchers, the storytellers, unclouded by the compromises of power and responsibility. They keep us honest. But when the ones with all the power get to decide how their own stories are told…where does that lead?

It leads us here. I just wish I knew what comes next.

Korero sighed, and flipped the leather cover of his notebook closed again, slotting the pencil into its pouch and slipping the whole ensemble back into his satchel. Pouring his troubles out onto the page always helped him get his thoughts in order, but it never really changed anything. He looked out at the view from the roof of his hut: treetops, stretching almost to the horizon, a sea of brilliant green leaves and just a hint of the real sea beyond, all bathed in glorious afternoon sunshine with hardly a cloud in the sky. It all still looked so idyllic…but he knew it was a mirage. The Shadow had already begun to fall over Le-Wahi once more.

He rose to his feet, still looking out across the treetops, his gaze hardening as he tried to forge his dread into determination. Enough waiting. Enough worrying. It was time for him to act. Time to make it right.

As for what that actually means…I’ll just have to figure it out as I go.

He closed his eyes, concentrated on his destination, and in a flash of light he was gone.

Edited by Ghosthands
  • Like 16

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

"I-"

Had she miscalculated? Blood trailed down her blade. It was a predictable swing, how could she have been hit? Stop bleeding, get back up. Ela frowned, in what looked like disappointment, but internally, was immense shock. Le-Wahi had healers, she could go get someone. It wasn't too late. They'd understa-

And then, the crystal on her neck. 

"Hmm. Hahahahahaha." 

The Lesterin's laugh was that of genuine amusement, but also shock and surprise. She bit her tongue, still chuckling to herself. 

"You have me lost, in both senses of the term." Ela finally spoke, swallowing finally. "You have your first concession. I'm sure you knew you'd get me, with that one."

IC:

"I did," The Dasaka admitted from behind Ela as the mortally wounded doppelganger seemed simply to melt away. "I find the best education can be found practically. Nothing would make you understand what I do quite so much as falling prey to it. I hope you'll understand the cheat."

"Illusions are the power," She continued as she removed the blade from the back of Ela's neck and circled around in front of her. The Dasaka didn't look quite right, however; her Kanohi had changed, various aspects of her body just slightly wrong. In her hand was a crystalline falcata and not the blade she had clutched desperately in specter. "But deception is the art. You saw what you expected to see. I lead you here. It was easy to step aside, veiled, and allow you to continue following my illusion. There was no need to continue hiding myself once I was behind you. Only show you something to keep your attention."

Kiyaku bowed.

"In truth it was not the first deception. My name is not Dastana Yumiwa, it is Fursic Kiyaku. Allow me to invite you to begin again, properly, at your leisure. I am prepared."

@Johnny Blocksville

• Like 3

fK5oqYf.jpg

The blood faded from Ela's blade as he brought it beside her head, both hands clutching the handle. 

"In that case...it is again, an honour to meet you, my Lady." She said this in earnest, perhaps sensing that the Fursic's decision to tell her was something of a privilege. Nevertheless, the Lesterin's gaze became harder. "But now your strength has revealed itself. So, unveiled, we begin for certain."

She'd already begun to circle Kiyaku. It was a difficult dance. She now had to confront the knowledge that her senses may have to be discarded in order to best the Menti. 

Suddenly, she rushed seemingly impulsively, the Le-Lesterin's added speed making her a blur with a glint of silver aimed for the Menti's torso.

• 1 month later...

IC:

When dawn broke upon Kini-Nui, it would find the lush greenery of the clearing marred, a trail of brown, desiccated grass torn from the shade of the trees all the way to the steps of the Suva Nui. By then, the withered man who walked that way expected to be long gone.

Such a path had followed him most of the way from Ga-Koro, a dotted line of death and decay where each drop of diseased blood had fallen. At the very least, he’d taken care to avoid lingering when possible, sticking to the roads that had already been killed and paved for him. Ga-Koro had, perhaps, not been the wisest choice of destination – Ta-Koro, Po-Koro, Ko-Koro, and of course Onu-Koro; all had the sense to live on barren ground, and to kill that which was not barren already. Ga-Koro floated on flimsy foundations, a boardwalk city always but a misstep from capsizing. The perfect target, until he had to make his blood-spattered getaway.

Perhaps he’d visit Le-Koro next. The Entropy Beetles had done great work, to be sure, but they were too disorganised. They lacked his singular focus. He could spread his disease to the very foundations of their house of cards, bring the whole Koro crashing down. But first…

First, he would report his success to his patron.

• Like 6

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

• 2 months later...

IC:

Whether Ela realized it or not there had been an additional dimension to her demonstration. The Lesterin was faster than here. She was probably better than her, too, but speed was the greater issue. Even if their talents had been equal her speed would have tipped that scale. Instead it secured her supremacy. But she didn't know that. More importantly she did not know if it was true, even if she perceived it.

With a single demonstration she created doubt. And that was her equalizer, despite the contest of their skills. For the devotion Ela Latos had shown to training her body Fursic Kiyaku had done the same for her mind. That was her domain, her battlefield, and she excelled. Not that such tactics did anything to stop the blade headed her way. Her falcata darted out, piteously slow in comparison but still fast enough to use the momentum of its shape to slap the blade down and away from her.

Now it was time for a little misdirection. To Ela's eyes a short, crystalline dagger seemed to appear in her off hand; gripped in reverse she took a quick swipe at Ela's face, from her right cheek up towards her left temple. In truth she did nothing of the sort; she brought her falcata back to readiness and waited to exploit the opening she hoped to have created.

@Johnny Blocksville

OOC: Other posts in here coming soon, I promise.

• Like 2

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: Ela Latos - Going with her gut

Even as Ela closed her eyes as her blade connected with Kiyaku's own and was deflected, the illusion was not merely visual, she felt - and heard the cutting of air as her enemy's falcata made its approach up. The only thing Ela could do was assume the the Fursic's move was to be a feint - and act before she could fool her.

Instead of reacting - which felt absurdly unnatural, going against every instinct in her body and mind - she opened her eyes, trying to focus on only herself and dimming the loud stimuli bouncing around her, and instead, swinging again as Kiyaku's supposed move performed, sending the flat of her blade in a homerun swing towards where she thought the warrior's face might be - were she to do what Ela would. 

She wasn't sure if it would hit - but she knew it would likely startle her, even if Ela wasn't sure yet how she would follow herself up.

On 5/19/2022 at 9:01 AM, ARROW404 said:

IC: Ushadra

"Echelon's ambitions led him to rise above the shadows where our strength lies," she agreed. Her image stepped off the ground and proceeded to hover alongside Eisen, her true footfalls muted with her power. A playful use of her power, but also one that kept her alert and practiced her skills, power warmed up and prepared for trouble.

"Ahh, 'scout', how I love the word," she sang softly, her smile ever etched onto the image she showed, slightly widening at the prospect. "A task so uniquely suited to my skills. Do elaborate, partner of mine; I am at your behest."

IC:

"Most of Echelon's old lieutenants are scattered." The Toa said, not slowly but with a measured cadence that spoke of ongoing consideration. "Rorg, Karnak, Kohra, and Agrona. I haven't seen the first three since Ko-Koro fell. Agrona on the other hand has gone to the jungle to meditate on the nature of her prize. Ideally we will collect her first, but three are more noticeable than two. So perhaps we will collect her afterwards."

His tone became more thoughtful.

"We will scout a Koro. Maybe more than one. If you had to choose one of the other five that was primed for a reminder of our Master's influence, which would it be, Ushradra?"

On 8/14/2022 at 9:38 PM, Goose said:

IC:

When dawn broke upon Kini-Nui, it would find the lush greenery of the clearing marred, a trail of brown, desiccated grass torn from the shade of the trees all the way to the steps of the Suva Nui. By then, the withered man who walked that way expected to be long gone.

Such a path had followed him most of the way from Ga-Koro, a dotted line of death and decay where each drop of diseased blood had fallen. At the very least, he’d taken care to avoid lingering when possible, sticking to the roads that had already been killed and paved for him. Ga-Koro had, perhaps, not been the wisest choice of destination – Ta-Koro, Po-Koro, Ko-Koro, and of course Onu-Koro; all had the sense to live on barren ground, and to kill that which was not barren already. Ga-Koro floated on flimsy foundations, a boardwalk city always but a misstep from capsizing. The perfect target, until he had to make his blood-spattered getaway.

Perhaps he’d visit Le-Koro next. The Entropy Beetles had done great work, to be sure, but they were too disorganised. They lacked his singular focus. He could spread his disease to the very foundations of their house of cards, bring the whole Koro crashing down. But first…

First, he would report his success to his patron.

IC:

Dawn had not come yet and the shadows of Kini-Nui were long and drawn, hungry with anticipation. The jungle did not stir. What the walking pestilence had not killed along his path had drawn back, far away both from the being that felt so wrong and the corruption that had again found its home in Le-Wahi's borders. Not everywhere, not like it had been, but in radiating points of infection. Like any festering contagion beneath the skin signs still showed upon the surface and it was at the Kini-Nui the fever could be felt.

The shadows grew deeper still when the plague set foot within the temple, heavy with an unseen presence as inevitable as gravity. The force he fought was present. Patient, for now, but clearly waiting for the plague's purpose in disturbing that same darkness.

On 10/20/2022 at 7:42 AM, Johnny Blocksville said:

IC: Ela Latos - Going with her gut

Even as Ela closed her eyes as her blade connected with Kiyaku's own and was deflected, the illusion was not merely visual, she felt - and heard the cutting of air as her enemy's falcata made its approach up. The only thing Ela could do was assume the the Fursic's move was to be a feint - and act before she could fool her.

Instead of reacting - which felt absurdly unnatural, going against every instinct in her body and mind - she opened her eyes, trying to focus on only herself and dimming the loud stimuli bouncing around her, and instead, swinging again as Kiyaku's supposed move performed, sending the flat of her blade in a homerun swing towards where she thought the warrior's face might be - were she to do what Ela would. 

She wasn't sure if it would hit - but she knew it would likely startle her, even if Ela wasn't sure yet how she would follow herself up.

IC:

Startle it did.

The Dasaka knew Ela would adapt, but she hadn't expected it so quickly. Or so boldly. Cutting off one's own sight was a risky move even if it had paid off in this instance. She wasn't fast enough to block it. It was too unexpected. She turned her cheek to take it more effectively, rolled with the hit to decrease its power, but it still hurt something fierce. Still, she could use that; the Lesterin's eyes were closed. She didn't see that the strike had been a feint, an illusion, so when the blunt blow struck her own cheek she focused on the feeling; she used it, tweaked though it was, to grant the ring of truth to her own illusion.

Ela felt a sharp, cutting edge run from chin to brow in a single fluid motion interrupted at the end by her own strike.

• Like 1

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: Kini-Nui

A shiver ran up the Crooked Man’s spine, a thrill even that twisted Lesterin could recognise as deviant. The darkness was like a lover’s caress, light upon the skin, a knife that trailed tantalisingly along his nape. His rotten smile, smothered by the shadows, was one of perverse bliss.

“I come bearing some truly tragic news regarding Leah, of the Toa Maru.” Even the Lesterin’s master, uncompromising as he was, could not misinterpret the sarcasm that seeped from his words. “It seems she’s taken ill; they had to drag her unconscious body from the bay. Why, she nearly drowned. It may be some time before she’s at herself again, and I suspect she may find herself… scarred by the experience. The good people of Ga-Koro seemed in something of a tizzy as I left - awful business, really, just awful.”

Edited by Goose
  • Like 3

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

IC: Ela Latos - Fighting the feeling

This time, the Lesterin did not have the willpower to distrust the pain - in fact, in the moment, she had no chance to even consider it. Her body reacted involuntarily, her eyes opening and her lungs gasping, as she hopped back, a free hand immediately pressing a finger to her brow. She'd made the wrong call, hadn't she? How stupid could she be, to toss aside her own instinct? She felt blood trickle down her finger, drip from her chin...

The opening had been earned by Kiyaku, if only for a moment, as Ela's hesitation stalled reaction.