The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

I usually like the older stuff better than newer metal,70's 80's early 90's. mostly stuff that's older than me.:P .

did you not see the part where i specifically said that was a troll image. looks like my point is proven there
Yeah , I did. I was just pointing out that the top bands looked kinda like metalcore to me. I've seen that pic before.

I'm a huge maiden fan, and I enjoy both incarnations of sabbath (though I should listen to more). I'm the opposite though, I think Dio's sabbath stuff is waaaaay better than most of his solo stuff. Only Holy Diver and Last In Line are really worth mentioning as full albums (the other ones still have some good songs).

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

you guysso while going on a huge powerviolence binge i totally discovered what i consider to be one of the few legitimate examples of terrifying musiclook up Dystopia, check out the Human = Garbage ep, the whole thing's streaming on video websitessick blend of sludge metal and crust punkit's a must listen

nhsYE.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

finally got around to listening to the new Nileman oh man, production aside I don't get why so many people are criticizing it, it's fantastic.additionally, been massively digging Arsis. A Celebration of Guilt and A Diamond for Disease are phenomenal, and I picked up the latest one and it's not bad either.

Edited by Orino Ryuujin

they actually tried a few new things with the vocals on this album, which was one of the main complaints a lot of people had besides the weird mixingeither way it's not a bad album by any meansalso I've heard very mixed things about that Faceless album, it seems to be a very divisive release for this year.

I may give it a listen just to see what it's like, although I've been meaning to check out some of their previous stuff first, if only out of curiosity.so the new Katatonia drops in a little over a week, as does a series of Paradise Lost reissues on the same day (August 28). super psyched.

• 2 weeks later...

the new Katatonia was fantastic, they most definitely deliveredwould've liked another song in the vein of "Departer" off of Night Is the New Day though, that song is just haunting and I thought Dead End Kings kinda lacked thatbut overall it was certainly not a disappointment.in unrelated news that I don't think anyone will care about, Soilwork has announced that their new album The Living Infinite will be a double album. Soilwork isn't exactly the most creative band to come out of Sweden (far from it), so I don't know exactly how I feel about all that. The Panic Broadcast was good but I can't really see a double album of that being all too exciting.

<3 Paradise Lost and Anathema is great too, never really checked out My Dying Bride muchI know some people consider Katatonia an unofficial fourth member of sorts of the Peaceville Three, even though they came along a few years after the others, since they were death/doom and signed to Peaceville as well.

I think the Peaceville three was supposed to be about the British scene, whereas Katatonia were part of the Swedish scene along with Opeth. But yeah, I guess it's the same deal as the big four and Exodus.I do recommend My Dying Bride, they're great. Out of the three, they stayed the closest to doom, with the other two evolving their sound into other genres. Not that My Dying Bride didn't evolve, but they stayed within Doom and still sometimes do a bit of Death in there. Turn Loose The Swans and The Angel And The Dark River are really good albums if you ever want to get into them.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

I think the Peaceville three was supposed to be about the British scene, whereas Katatonia were part of the Swedish scene along with Opeth. But yeah, I guess it's the same deal as the big four and Exodus.
hence why I don't consider them such myself, although in a way I guess they deserve some kind of honorary mention..will be sure to check out some My Dying Bride, might hold off a bit since I've been on more of a melodic death metal/extreme power metal kick lately though Edited by Orino Ryuujin

you guys have probably already figured this out but i don't like much metal anymorethat being said, if you're into doom-influenced things Hasta La Muerte by Xibalba. kinda like sludge and doom interpreted through the lense of hardcore. listened to Soledad if you want a taste. seriously brutal stuff. yes i know i mentioned like ten posts back but they're that amazing

Edited by pls respond
nhsYE.jpg

Kamelot released a short preview of "Sacrimony", a track from their upcoming album.I am excited, as the new singer is pretty dang good.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

I used to be fairly into metalcore quite a while ago, but even then, never really listened to those bands, and now hardly ever listen to any metalcore. Having said that, I'm really liking the new In This Moment album, Blood, although it's not exactly a metalcore album and I'm not a fan of their previous material.I lost interest in Kamelot for some reason, but I will definitely be checking the new album out. Interesting to see what direction they'll go in without Roy.

Edited by -Malchior-

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Anyone here ever listened to Disturbed? Not very heavy metal, (I'd consider it to be more "Alternative Metal") but I really enjoy their music.
I really like disturbed's instrumentals. Some talented dudes.A band I'd recommend is Destiny Potato (sick band name, right?). They're more on the djent side.On a separate note, I can't be the only person here who listens to metalcore :( Anyone else at ALL?? How 'bout deathcore? Or even like Peirce the veil type of stuff? I'm totally into screaming and breakdowns. Heck, Slipknot, anyone?EDIT: AS I LAY DYING!! Edited by ElevenGuy

wow this topic has really declined in quality really fastthat said, out of the numerous generic metalcore bands mentioned (and out of what little -core I listen to at all) As I Lay Dying are pretty good.they were one of the earliest bands I got into so there's that nostalgic value, and while I've kinda grown out of them I still think the last three albums were enjoyable to some degree.

I like metalcore, though I don't care much for the more commerical bands like Asking Alexandria and Bring Me the Horizon. I really like Killswitch, Unearth, August Burns Red, Shadows Fall, and Trivium.I'm more into djent nowadays, though that's mostly because there's not much new metalcore around except for the aforementioned commercial bands. Textures and TesseracT are my fav djent bands.Also, I'm seriously addicted to "The Uncollective" by Monuments. Especially the instrumental version. Oh man.

Edited by ~Takava Nirhii~

3DS Friend Code (Pokemon X): 4098 - 4028 - 0743

(Please tell me if you added me so I can add you back!)

My Brickshelf

I can feel the pressure getting steeper with every life lost.
You hope that I won't see the light of day in time to come.

tessewact.png
With no conviction founded just, judgement contorted based on lust,
Give me strength.

when it comes to metalcore, I only really like some of the more Gothenburg/thrash-influenced bands like All That Remains, Heaven Shall Burn, Shadows Fall, that sortthe whole generic scenecore thing that seems to be popular here just irritates mewill take melodic/progressive/technical death metal over that sort of thing anyday.

the whole generic scenecore thing that seems to be popular here just irritates mewill take melodic/progressive/technical death metal over that sort of thing anyday.
the thing is that for every generic metalcore band there is at least one generic band from those genres as well.also sadly most death metal bands lack the ability to be fun which hinders my enjoyment of them Edited by pls respond
nhsYE.jpg

at least generic bands in those genres (melodeath especially) aren't often horribly irritating and completely annoying like the ones in scenecorepersonally I would rather listen to every At the Gates riff ever being blatantly ripped off than CHUGCHUGCHUGCHUG JUNJUNJUN BREEBREEE coming from a bunch of kids in skinny jeans and V-neck tees

Edited by Orino Ryuujin

except they aren't rlyhaving met my fair share of scenecore bands they're usually pretty chill and down to earth (unless their band gets popular and then they just become weenies like Asking Alexandria). same goes for the fansthat being said i haven't met many "real metal" bands but their fans tend to be the most obnoxious butthurt people around. srsly had to stop being friends with some. obvz there are exceptions to the rule for both thonot saying you are tho because you have the ability and are good and lovely

Edited by pls respond
nhsYE.jpg

So I've started to really get into Death Metal (With Blood Comes Cleansing, Dethklok, and the first album from Impending Doom), anyone know any good death metal bands i should listen to?
dude WBCC and Impending Doom are both deathcore thoughthat being said dethklok is totes melodeath so czech out the black dahlia murder, wretched, and through the eyes of the dead
nhsYE.jpg

seconding The Black Dahlia Murder, also recommending Amon Amarth, (some) Arch Enemy, Arsis, At the Gates, Before the Dawn, Blackguard (more power metal than melodeath but it's close so w/e), Blood Stain Child, (early) Children of Bodom (same deal as Blackguard), Dark Tranquillity, Darkest Hour, Engel, (early) In Flames, In Mourning, Insomnium, Kalmah (same deal as Children of Bodom), Kataklysm, Nightrage, Omnium Gatherum, Ritual of Rebirth, and (early) SoilworkI'm also among the few who enjoy more recent In Flames and Soilwork as well but that's not melodeath so w/e

Edited by Orino Ryuujin