The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

I just returned from Fortarock. So much awesome!Enjoyed the Devin Townsend Project, Steel Panther, Machine Head and Slayer.Missed out on Meshuggah and Lamb of God due to odd timing.Also snagged me Moonspell's Alpha Noir, the edition that includes Omega White. ^_^

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Lamb of God is nothing special live, but Meshuggah is always good fun, that's a shame.That said, sounds like it was some good times. I feel like I've seen Devin Townsend perform before, but I can't for the life of me remember where. What was the performance like?

i have to imagine that there'd be a ton of ponytails at a Devin Townsend concertwhat do you guys think of Poison The Wellp great stuff, especially when you consider that they basically invented modern metalcore

You.I like you.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Anyone like Carcass? I prefer their earlier albums, but Heartwork's got a great sound, so I listen to it when the mood strikes me.

carcass is cool, i can't dig the first albums because srsly awful production but Necroticism forwards is radical

You.I like you.-Teezy

u 2 qurlalso yeah i'm not worried about people who get supr sensitive over metalcore, their problem if they're suffering from imn syndrome Edited by pls respond
nhsYE.jpg

fusion of metal and hardcore punkstarted off as basically legit metal-tinged hardcore, has changed a bunch and branched off in recent years to include more commercially-friendly, melodic metal-influenced stuff like Killswitch Engage, and trendy generic poppy stuff like Attack Attackit's a way more varied genre than people give it credit for, but it basically spawned a bunch of mainstream bands of questionable quality who have given the term a negative connotation.alternately, you could've just looked it up

Edited by Orino Ryuujin

I was considering going for the deluxe edition, but $5 extra for two bonus tracks and an expanded booklet seemed like a bit much, especially with other things I meant to buy.unrelated, heard a song from the new Whitechapel and it has actually piqued my interest. never thought that'd actually happen ever, especially since I hate their first album with a passion.

deffo check out the new Whitechapel album, it's absolutely their strongest work. they've evolved a ton since the somatic defilement, and you can really notice on itthis is exile is still my favorite but that's for the nostalgic value

Edited by pls respond
nhsYE.jpg

I do kinda regret not getting it now yeah, especially since the last two tracks on the main album were reeeally disappointing and a couple extra actual songs would've been nice.

I've read some of the booklet and it's really good. Burt should write books and stuffi haven't listened to any of it at all yet, i feel like i need to sit down and really listen and read along to get the full expreience

only in dreams.

I do kinda regret not getting it now yeah, especially since the last two tracks on the main album were reeeally disappointing and a couple extra actual songs would've been nice.

i haven't listened to any of it at all yet, i feel like i need to sit down and really listen and read along to get the full expreience
that's what I did with Obsolete.. I'm starting to feel like the closing tracks on The Industrialist would make more sense if I'd been able to read the story while listening. Edited by Orino Ryuujin

yeah but if you're going to call Flyleaf metal you might as well call stuff like Breaking Benjamin, Red, and Thousand Foot Krutch metal too because they're really not that different.heck, may as well even throw Nickelback into that, they have a few "heavy" songs too.

Edited by Orino Ryuujin

You know what? I'm sick of people treating female fronted metal as if they're less than any other bands in the same genre. I've had people straight up tell me that female vocals in metal, no matter how "metal" it is, can never be metal because chicks can't rock. The band is metal. I hang out with headbangers, the heavy metal people who listen to the most disturbing, heavy, screaming piece of metal music there is, and they just won't accept anything that doesn't sound like their music. Do I think the metal community is sexist? Yes, I do. I live in the most hardcore, metal-loving country in the world, the home of black metal, Norway, the most gender equal country in the world, and for some reason whenever I step into the metal scene, women aren't respected. BTW is this too political? Anyway I'm defending my band. :P

tumblr_n3nqpzvUrQ1qlzuomo1_500.gif

it's metal, bigotry is the name of the game. it's definitely true that in some circles female-fronted metal is frowned upon. people like those are close-minded scum doe, best to either ignore or work to change them rather than get upset about itthis is why i prefer the hardcore community, much more accepting.that being said, there are other reasons there aren't many female-fronted metal bands. namely that for the most part girls don't like metal.

Edited by pls respond
nhsYE.jpg

first, I am a feministsecond, I love many female-fronted metal bandsthird, gender makes no difference in the music I listen to (or anything else, really) whatsoeverand finally, the fact that Flyleaf has a female singer does not matter at allfrom a musical standpoint, they just do not fit the genre in my opinion.

Edited by Orino Ryuujin

I see why it's debatable though. A lot of metal has a very fast tempo, whereas Flyleaf have a more slow tempo, though they have a lot of power in their music (I'm So Sick for example). Check out Swept Away however and the story changes. It's a heavy song. Also, the way they described their new album shows that they're going to be heavier than ever. BTW who likes bands that stay virtually the same with each album anyway? I appreciate artists and bands that grow and change musically, visually and atmospherically. Though Björk definitely isn't a metal artist, she's nailed those particular aspects perfectly.

Flyleaf were my first favorite rock band so yeah, I'm familiar with their stylethey do approach metal on songs like "I'm So Sick" but I just always thought they just had more of an angry, post-grunge rock sound than anything.also bands who stay the same are generally boring, unless they nail their particular style down to the point that they can make it sound interesting without changing it too much.

Edited by Orino Ryuujin

they do approach metal on songs like "I'm So Sick" but I just always thought they just had more of an angry, post-grunge rock sound than anything.
I think that's just their most obvious metal song, really. It really doesn't do them any justice, neither does everyone's favorite All Around Me, because that's not what their general sound is like. I'm Sorry,Sorrow, In The Dark, Missing and Circle are probably more appropriate representatives for their sound than anything else. But the more music they make, the more it becomes obvious that they're straying from the metal path. This is probably most obvious in their LP Remember To Live, which was a more emotional journey than anything else. And maybe that's what set them apart from most metal bands. After being around all these metal bands for so long, it becomes fairly obvious that metal have the same amount of emotionally as Kristen Stewart's acting abilities. It's terribly monotonous. Which is why I can't stand 99% of metal bands. All the bands, songs and albums speak of the same rage and the same offensiveness all the time. It's like, don't you have better things to do than be angry constantly? Geez, take a break! Also, the amount of testosterone in this thread is making me nervous. I can already smell the metal-y, sweaty armpits and the long black hair and the feeling of being misunderstood!