G1 should have been a TV series

Hi, guys. You know that Bionicle G1 has a lot of types of media, like direct-to-video movies, Mata Nui Online Games, comics, chapter books, online story serials, etc. However, it did not have a TV show.

Ninjago has the right idea of using the TV show as the primary source of canon. Hero Factory and Bionicle G2 tried to have their own TV shows, but they did not expanded on their stories, and the shows prematurely ended with unresolved cliffhangers and other things. That’s unhealthy. 

I mean, think about it. Transformers G1 started with a TV show, which is well-received, like Ninjago. So, Bionicle G1 should have used a TV show rather than the media that it got (there are some unresolved things, and two unfinished online serials, anyway. Also not healthy). 

A TV show would give G1 a good layout on many things, including ones that got unresolved. The movies just had some snippets of one of G1’s story arcs here and there, but a TV show could include everything. This would give animators more time to make the characters and other things look more accurate to their finalized sets (but keep the human-ish realism and five-fingered hands), and more characters from the story would have been added. 

So, there. This could have made G1 a little better than what actually happened. I get that you guys like to have nostalgia, but still. Maybe that could have saved Bionicle G1 from its toyline’s cancellation in 2010. The story would have finally gotten a real conclusion that way.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

5 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

I mean, think about it. Transformers G1 started with a TV show, which is well-received, like Ninjago. So, Bionicle G1 should have used a TV show rather than the media that it got (there are some unresolved things, and two unfinished online serials, anyway. Also not healthy). 

yeah it should have that's a widely shared view. but that wants a thing really in the 2000s and lego did not have the budget

• Like 1

image.gif.f0b625d4fc4c82b928516a036fc1cf5a.gif

It basically comes down to money. Unlike a movie, which you only have to make once, even a short season of a TV show is a serious financial commitment. BIONICLE was an experiment, and I think the spectacular failure that was Galidor made LEGO afraid to put too much money in one property. By the time LEGO did feel confident enough to commit to a TV show, BIONICLE was old news. Trying to make a BIONICLE TV show in 2008 would have required a pretty serious reboot of the plot, which would have risked alienating old fans without enough of a chance of pulling new people in. I'm not surprised their TV budget went to Ninjago.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 6:59 PM, Lenny7092 said:

Hi, guys. You know that Bionicle G1 has a lot of types of media, like direct-to-video movies, Mata Nui Online Games, comics, chapter books, online story serials, etc. However, it did not have a TV show.

Ninjago has the right idea of using the TV show as the primary source of canon. Hero Factory and Bionicle G2 tried to have their own TV shows, but they did not expanded on their stories, and the shows prematurely ended with unresolved cliffhangers and other things. That’s unhealthy. 

A TV show would give G1 a good layout on many things, including ones that got unresolved. The movies just had some snippets of one of G1’s story arcs here and there, but a TV show could include everything. This would give animators more time to make the characters and other things look more accurate to their finalized sets (but keep the human-ish realism and five-fingered hands), and more characters from the story would have been added. 

So, there. This could have made G1 a little better than what actually happened. I get that you guys like to have nostalgia, but still. Maybe that could have saved Bionicle G1 from its toyline’s cancellation in 2010. The story would have finally gotten a real conclusion that way.

As much as I agree and would love to see the entire G1 Bionicle story retold and brought to life in a TV series, I don't think Lego would consider it and in today business-wise after Bionicle's cancellation in 2010. However, having said this, Bionicle is still in a good place and in safe hands and I felt the community and Mask of Destiny was the best place to keep the old theme going and to enjoy them. Including animations of the 2008 series and the 2006/07 series made by YouTube animators Vrahno and Tohkann.  

But never say never. Even though Bionicle is a long retired Lego theme, someday or even 20+ years time, someone from the community would become a professional animator or film director as a full time/part time career and would be aspired to bring Bionicle back with a vision either as a series of animated fan films or cinematic-style webisodes for the fans (old and new) to enjoy the experience.

• Like 1

I actually think a TV series would have been great and fitted in with the cartoons of the time. Imagine a series in the MNOG style! However, the timeline would have had to be way different, TLG would have had to have not sunk so much money into Galidor and other failed investments, and not done stuff like the movies. Definitely would have worked better format wise when we think of cartoons like ATLA, you can put a lot of character development in that a movie simply cannot. Also, as others had said, it couldn't be late in Bionicle's life either, it would have had to been part of the original marketing wave/pitch, otherwise it gets left in the dust as an afterthought.

Edited by Axelford