Comedy Discussion and Planning Topic

MT Zehvor

May an old writing friend give you a couple of suggestions?The first post of this topic says that the general goal of the comic federation is to promote the comedies forum. I personally believe that this an excellent idea, and one that should certainly be followed through. Some of the goals include-The annual CCC awards (that will probably be hosted by the CCC itself now)-Bi-annual "expos" for comic authors to present and demonstrate their works-Promotions for certain comedies and the comedies forum in general-A "comedy of the week" to highlight a specific comedy-And a general unification of the comedies forum.All of these are great ideas. (although I am not entirely sure how the expos would work. Where would they be held, and what would the rules be?) I do have one more suggestion, though:-The BZP comedy wiki. It's been gathering dust for a while, (although I'm still receiving e-mails about it) but it would be another asset to organizing the comedies forum and its authors (if that's even possible) It would also provide a project that all authors can work on as a collaborative effort.You are all doing an amazing job with the new forums! I just decided to peek in for a sec to see how things are going, but I might hang around a little more and make more suggestions if you guys don't mind. I may even start writing my old comedies again (RT2 at the very least, I've got a friend that is begging me to finish it...)

Defy Expectations

Thanks for dropping in. We should probably try to plan one of those expos at least fairly soon, although the main issue may be getting people to recognize it and want to be in it.Just to get things started, if we were to do that, I would be happy to present something.-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

For the Expos, perhaps we should host one in October and advertise it during September. Don't show off currently running comedies, but rather announce new and exciting projects during the expo- perhaps an anticipated sequel or reboot, an original comedy, or even just a oneshot that is in the works. We could ask Hahli Husky or McSmeag about getting a topic for it and pinning it during the time period that the expo runs (one or two weeks).-ibrow

For the Expos, perhaps we should host one in October and advertise it during September. Don't show off currently running comedies, but rather announce new and exciting projects during the expo- perhaps an anticipated sequel or reboot, an original comedy, or even just a oneshot that is in the works. We could ask Hahli Husky or McSmeag about getting a topic for it and pinning it during the time period that the expo runs (one or two weeks).
Perhaps...although I get the feeling that the "don't show off currently running comedies" is going to simply inspire a bunch of new comedies that won't run for very long, or, at the very worst, could lessen the amount of stuff we get to present because some people might not want to make a new comedy if they don't have the time to run it.I vote for leaving old comedies in, provided they have something "new" to show us, if that makes sense. Perhaps a new plot line, or a new cast of characters.-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

I would think about how other expos are run, such as E3 or ComicCon, and go from there. Both (very prominent expos with a lot of information out there) present both current information and future projects and products. So collaborate with other comic authors to present this expo. The expo itself Would probably consist of a main post (the first one) which would list all of the comedies on display. Then each author would have their own post which gives a brief summary of their comedy, introduces a few characters, and maybe gives a preview of what's coming up next in the story. New comedies can do this, though they should commit somehow. The CCC can have something there, too. Just be sure to set a time limit. Four days to one week sounds like a strong timeline without dragging it out too much. Be sure to make banners to advertise the expo, too.If you want your expos to be a little bigger, you could coordinate with the admins and hold the expo for the entire library forum, not just comedies. Only if you want to, though. Do these suggestions help at all?

Defy Expectations

I think, for the moment, we'll leave the Epics and SS forum alone. That seems a little complicated for first time through.Anyways, as mentioned before, I'll be happy to volunteer my comedy for stuff. I assume iBrow will as well. If he doesn't, I will slap him.I guess we should start brainstorming other people to invite to this thing?-MT

Edited by Toa Zehvor MT

XPufEB3.png?1

The expo idea sounds great. I'm in, if that's all right, because I'm currently planning a new comedy, so I'll have at least one thing to show, anyway.-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet. I'll start putting together a list for everyone involved, then send some PMs out around mid September just to remind everyone.Comedy Expo:MTGundamTNTOSI was also thinking we could start something called review circles. The way it would work is that we would have certain comedies entered into a circle, and then everyone in the circle would (at least) weekly post on the comedies in the circle. To help promote forum popularity n' such.-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to check this topic and turns out there's review circles and expos?I've been inactive because I'm plotting my next MH story arc (where I WILL be active) and something else comedy-related. So...expo? (the new story arc will have started by then, but the other project probably won't have)And the review circle sounds cool.

"The moral of the story is, I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way. I'll never make that mistake again. No more half measures Walter."

• 2 weeks later...

We should probably begin planning for the Expo now/soon. Any ideas how we should do it? I could make a central blog post to hold information at the very least, and it would be a good idea to advertise it. If we can make BZPower's front page, members might pay more attention.Perhaps the CCC could be worked in as well, providing short-ish reviews of what is shown?-ibrow

• 2 weeks later...
I am working on that as well. Course, it'd be helpful if there were more active writers on the comedy forum, but hey...-MT
Haha, yeah, that seems to be the unfortunate things with all three forums, really. =/ Best of luck in promoting activity, guys! =]newso1.png Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

Maybe I'll update my comedy(s) some more....it does seem lacking in people. I remember, before the downtime, it was bustling, with the CCC awards ending just some time before the downtime.@Meta Nuva, advertising before release is what everyone does.......Look at movies/video games. The thing is announced and advertise at least 1 year before its release.

GT: Jl1223 X <----add me :3

(╯◕_◕)╯

BZPRPG Profiles 2013

I used to run quite a few comedies back on the old forum, The Bohrok-Kal's Ramblings, Phovos's Stolen Diaries and Reading Over My Shoulder Is Dangerous To My Health, along with lots of one-off comedies. I'm working on bringing back The Bohrok-Kal's Ramblings. I even put Lehvak-Kal on my desktop to remind me to do so.

The CF will take care of the Comedy Awards this year...though we'll probably change up the format a lot from last year(not really sure what the end result of the changing will be).The two different styles of awards had inherent problems last year. The reviewer's award seemed far too closed off from the general population of the BZP comedy forum, having one singular reviewer deciding the best comedy on the forum. On the other hand, the "Voter's Award" ended up just being a popularity contest...and most fans just voted for their favorite comedy without really bothering to read any of the others.The most likely scenario at this point will be some sort of combination of the two: Perhaps a panel of several judges make their picks, which accounts for 50% of the decision, and then there's a fan poll which accounts for the other 50%.So I dunno. Still working on that.-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

A nice easy way of picking Best Comedy is to have two of them: Best Comedy as chosen by a large panel of judges, and a Voters‘ Pick, as votrd by the general populace. That way you can get a clear decision on both sides.And I have missed EVERY SINGLE comedy contest there ever was. This makes me sad since I see myself as a good Bionicle Comedy Writer (BWC ~ that needs to be an official term...).

A nice easy way of picking Best Comedy is to have two of them: Best Comedy as chosen by a large panel of judges, and a Voters‘ Pick, as votrd by the general populace. That way you can get a clear decision on both sides.
We did that last year(well, to an extent: our large panel of judges ended up just being one person deciding, but there were two separate awards). My only problems with that are:A: The most popular comedy will always win the "fan's choice." While that may not seem like a big deal, I kinda don't want to leave good, less visited comedies out in the cold. It becomes sort of a joke, in essence. It'd be like if they hosted fan video game awards and Call of Duty won every year because it's the most popular.B: ...we really don't have a large panel of judges to pull from in the first place, unfortunately. :(If there is enough support for this two award idea, however, we can switch to that. Second time might just be the charm.At any rate, the CFE(Comedy Forum Expo) will be held between the 16th and 23rd of October. If anyone who hasn't already wishes to sign up for a date, feel free to do so now.-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

If I may, I would like to ask about signing up. Sorry, I've never really entered into one of these before, so sorry if I'm coming off as being ignorant. I used to be somewhat of a good writer in the old days of BZP, and I'm trying to make a return with some new material.If I can enter, thank you. If not, then all right, I understand. Thank you for your time.

If I can enter, thank you. If not, then all right, I understand. Thank you for your time.
Depends on whether or not you can cover the $50 entrance fee...:PJust kidding. Sure! We'd love some more comedy writers debuting material.
So, er, slightly confused about this Comedy Expo. How does it work?
If you've ever heard of E3, it's similar to that. Different comedy writers have different portions of days to give others previews and sneak peeks of what they'll be writing soon.I'll post a tentative schedule soon.-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

I havrn‘t heard of E3 either, unless you mean that gaming expo thingy...Also, any suggestions? I want to start a new comedy, some sort of RED VS BLUE thing with various Bionicle characters but I‘m not sure if people woulf read it. The Bohrok-Kal‘s ramblings isn‘t getting any reads, nor is YACIWPFA. I‘m also considering bring back Phovos‘s Stolen Diaries or ROMSIDTMH but I am unsure.

Also, any suggestions? I want to start a new comedy, some sort of RED VS BLUE thing with various Bionicle characters but I‘m not sure if people woulf read it. The Bohrok-Kal‘s ramblings isn‘t getting any reads, nor is YACIWPFA. I‘m also considering bring back Phovos‘s Stolen Diaries or ROMSIDTMH but I am unsure.
I'll make a deal: I'll read/review your comedies if you do the same for mine. :PAnyways, duly noted iBrow. You shall be on the 23rd. We may or may not need more specification on times if enough people join, but that's a long ways off.-MT

XPufEB3.png?1