Cartoonish Style Matoran

Soran

Well time for another random drawing since I have way too much time on my hands because I like art.

Right now I'm experimenting with a cartoonish drawing style. Anyway onto the drawing!

This is just a test of the style, so it is pretty basic.

It was drawn in gimp and took me an estimated 30 minutes to draw it, and another 30 minutes to color and add details.

C&C is appreciated,

~Soran

Edited by Soran
soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

Slow claps to you, my friend.Edit: Woops! Accidentally clicked the post button before finishing. Give me a sec...I think it looks great, though the 'fins' on the head of the Avohkii are a bit... strange, i'd suggest working on those.

Edited by Leraku

Sisen said:

Let's focus on Snail! Snail is the bombdiggity.

It would have been better if not ruined by that balloon. Anyways, I like it: I'm a fan of of chibi and cartoonish thingies. And you draw it in only one hour, including coloring, so it's such a good result for such a fast work. Perhaps more details would make it way more enjoyable, but it's still a nice piece of art. 9/10----- Lord of the Rings -----Titles: Dark Lord, Lord of Mordor, Lord of Gifts, Lord of Barad-Dûr, Lord of the Earth

i like it. the style's nice and the drawing is smooth. the text bubble is a nice touch, but i kind of feel it takes away a little bit? i don't know, i'm not good at criticizing art. :Pi like it, that's all there really is to say.

Thanks for years of fun, BZP. You made me happy as a child.
Wanna know how FC2 was gonna end/FC3 was gonna play out? Check my deviantART and my Brickshelf.

Slow claps to you, my friend.Edit: Woops! Accidentally clicked the post button before finishing. Give me a sec...I think it looks great, though the 'fins' on the head of the Avohkii are a bit... strange, i'd suggest working on those.

I must admit, I wasn't too fond of the 'fins' myself. I had a hard time with the design of them. Thanks.

It would have been better if not ruined by that balloon. Anyways, I like it: I'm a fan of of chibi and cartoonish thingies. And you draw it in only one hour, including coloring, so it's such a good result for such a fast work. Perhaps more details would make it way more enjoyable, but it's still a nice piece of art. 9/10----- Lord of the Rings -----Titles: Dark Lord, Lord of Mordor, Lord of Gifts, Lord of Barad-Dûr, Lord of the Earth

Removed the balloon. I've always liked chibi and cartoonish things also. I'm glad that you like it, and I agree with adding more details. I just wanted to see if I was capable of drawing a simple cartoonish drawing. I might draw another later and put more details and such in. Thanks.

i like it. the style's nice and the drawing is smooth. the text bubble is a nice touch, but i kind of feel it takes away a little bit? i don't know, i'm not good at criticizing art. :Pi like it, that's all there really is to say.

I'm glad you like it. I was bored so I added the text bubble since I couldn't think of anything else to add to it. Thanks.Thanks for the C&C guys.~Soran
soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

:kaukau: He reminds me of those cartoon characters from TV shows who have ridiculous hair. Which was obviously what you were going for. Nice way of making a connection there.By the way, I was thinking the exact same thing as Tahu Nuva Golden: my first thought was Johnny Test. Although of my thoughts for that show, I'll leave no comment.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, haven't really been paying attention to the replies.

Ok, waiting for next piece anxiously!----- Lord of the Rings -----Titles: Dark Lord, Lord of Mordor, Lord of Gifts, Lord of Barad-Dûr, Lord of the Earth

Thanks, I made a new peice already and uploaded it. It isn't cartoonish though.

Lol.Good parts: Smoothness, simplicity and yet shading, resemblance to the consistent Soran look in your self-art.Bad parts: The "Johnny Test" style face. I hate that show. XD7/10, but that's only because of my bias against cartoony/chibi stuff.

Thanks for the C&C. I don't know who else to draw, that's why I constantly draw my character. Plus drawing an avohkii is quite challenging, especially in different art forms, so it gives me a challenge. I never intended it to look like TV Show, but now that you point it out, it does look similar sadly. Thanks.

:kaukau: He reminds me of those cartoon characters from TV shows who have ridiculous hair. Which was obviously what you were going for. Nice way of making a connection there.By the way, I was thinking the exact same thing as Tahu Nuva Golden: my first thought was Johnny Test. Although of my thoughts for that show, I'll leave no comment.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

I wasn't necesarily going for that as I was just recreating a 'sprite' kit I made in a much more cartoonish form then it already is. Although unintentional I'm glad you like it. Don't worry, I don't like the show either and as I said before it wasn't intentional. Thanks.

This is an interesting style of art? Do you do this to all of your characters? Just curious.~Lehvorak

If by all your characters do you mean my comic characters? Then technically no. I do draw some of my other characters periodically, but its normally whoever has a kanohi hau (Because haus are easy to draw). I've drawn Akino and Nico (two characters from my comics) in two different forms.

It looks all very well done except one thing: The eyes. I don't know why but, I hate the eyes they really bother me.

I had trouble with the eyes. I didn't know how exactly to make cartoonish eyes, so I was going off of memory from what the eyes of the matoran from LTSL looked like. obviously I failed though, but I guess it was an alright attempt at it.

Gimp is awesome, agreed? Though I have to say that you are better than me at it, especially at cell shading. Nice one.~Lev

I agree. I have photoshop (cs3) but its really... complicated. Only time I use it is when I practice my drawing tablet (Which I rarely use). I wouldn't say I'm better at Gimp then anyone, I just know how to do a lot more useless things with it. Took me a while to realize that I was cell shading. Thanks.Glad you guys like the drawing (attempt) and be sure to check out my next art style attempt.~Soran

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's quite good. Though the face seems slightly odd, as the eyes are a little bit to big and the pupils are slightly cross eyed. That, and the jaw is a little bit too small.However, these problems are very miniscule and don't really detract from the picture, which I like.I hope to see an animation with this.

Majhost sucks