Would this thread include discussion of the Silmarrillion as well?

imo11b1ulynbq2ju7il.png

If you like this banner, please feel free to add it to your signature.

QUOTE(GregF @ Oct 13 2010, 03:21 AM)

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

Do you think you have what it take to climb... Up the Carrion Stair!

Credit to Toa Zehvor MT for the banner!

Yay! One thing I wish we had was more information on the Dark Elves. The attitude seems to have basically been: "Meh, they didn't want to leave Cuivienen (sp?), so they don't matter."

imo11b1ulynbq2ju7il.png

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

I am definitely pumped for the movie adaption of The Hobbit. Although I am slightly worried I might feel a bit odd about it, since it probably won't much resemble the beautiful (and surprisingly faithful) Rankin & Bass adaption I grew up with (it remains my favourite animated movie ever).

imo11b1ulynbq2ju7il.png

Those movies are my favorite movies on the face of the earth. The Hobbit is my favorite book. I've read LOTR once, but it was when I was a lo younger, so I really need to read it again. I also really enjoyed the short story collection, Tales from the Perilous Realm, they aren't part of his Middle Earth mythology (at least not directly, there are some cameos), but they are all still well worth reading, especially for a more casual reader.

banner.png

The Two Towers is one of my favorite books of ever. I've only read The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, and the Children of Hurin (most depressing thing I've ever read. Good, though). But I suppose that's most of Tolkien's published stuff, isn't it? I tried reading The Book of Lost Tales but it befuddled me. That was years ago, though, maybe I should try again.

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

Considering Peter Jackson is filming The Hobbit (unless I'm dismally mistaken), I think the movie adaption will be excellent! Even when he deviated from Tolkien's works, it was usually to fight the time schedule and it didn't ruin the story too bad unlike most adaptions. Jackson does a beautiful job with Tolkien's works, I trust him.

I found the Silmarillion fascinating, but it still read like the Bible :/ One of the best things about Tolkien's books in my opinion is the appendices. All the maps, the genealogy, the information...it's so helpful, especially in things like the Silmarillion where every Elf seems to have almost exactly the same name.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

I agree about the Silmarillion, it reads so different because it's an overview. The story of The Children of Hurin was told in a chapter or so in The Silmarillion and then later released as a whole book. I wonder if the other stories exist as notes somewhere in fuller form? I read the appendices to The Lord of the Rings once... I don't think I'll ever do it again.

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

I first read the Lord of the Rings trilogy at ten, eleven years old. I honestly think I was too young; I tried skimming through much of the prose, thought the books were long-winded, and thus didn't touch them for a few years.Fast forward to last year. I reread the series and realized, wait, the books were actually pretty darn good, even with the excessive prose.And now? I think they're amazing. I guess because I write long-winded prose myself, Tolkien's long-winded prose isn't bad in comparison. :P I love Tolkien's writing style -- it's very descriptive without being tedious or overwhelming. He did a great job with dialogue as well, though I still think it sounds a bit too grand.In all honesty, I prefer the more serious Lord of the Rings trilogy to the much more lighthearted The Hobbit.

I first read the Lord of the Rings trilogy at ten, eleven years old. I honestly think I was too young; I tried skimming through much of the prose, thought the books were long-winded, and thus didn't touch them for a few years. Fast forward to last year. I reread the series and realized, wait, the books were actually pretty darn good, even with the excessive prose. And now? I think they're amazing. I guess because I write long-winded prose myself, Tolkien's long-winded prose isn't bad in comparison. :P I love Tolkien's writing style -- it's very descriptive without being tedious or overwhelming. He did a great job with dialogue as well, though I still think it sounds a bit too grand. In all honesty, I prefer the more serious Lord of the Rings trilogy to the much more lighthearted The Hobbit.

That reading it all at ten describes me exactly, which is why I really need to pick up the books again. I loved the movies, the Hobbit, and those short stories, but just wasn't mature enough when I read LOTR. Which do you guys suggest first, The Silmarillion or Lotr? ~Roablin
banner.png

I first read the books when i was about... 9? I was, and still am, very very literate, and so I managed to get through every single book within a matter of weeks, loving every minute of it. Add to that the fact that it was written in (Mostly) Tolkeins own words as it was the un-modernized version... I think i learned about half of my "Old' English speak from it xD On another note i heard that the Hobbit was going to be split into two parts, anyone able to Confirm? Also opinions on John Rhys Davies NOT playing Gimli? It makes me sad...

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

Would this thread include discussion of the Silmarrillion as well?

I still plan to read that book. Is it good?
I really enjoyed it. It's not written in the format of LotR or The Hobbit, but it is very interesting. I thought the creation story was beautiful.

I first read the Lord of the Rings trilogy at ten, eleven years old. I honestly think I was too young; I tried skimming through much of the prose, thought the books were long-winded, and thus didn't touch them for a few years. Fast forward to last year. I reread the series and realized, wait, the books were actually pretty darn good, even with the excessive prose. And now? I think they're amazing. I guess because I write long-winded prose myself, Tolkien's long-winded prose isn't bad in comparison. :P I love Tolkien's writing style -- it's very descriptive without being tedious or overwhelming. He did a great job with dialogue as well, though I still think it sounds a bit too grand. In all honesty, I prefer the more serious Lord of the Rings trilogy to the much more lighthearted The Hobbit.

That reading it all at ten describes me exactly, which is why I really need to pick up the books again. I loved the movies, the Hobbit, and those short stories, but just wasn't mature enough when I read LOTR. Which do you guys suggest first, The Silmarillion or Lotr? ~Roablin
I would suggest LotR first.

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

On another note i heard that the Hobbit was going to be split into two parts, anyone able to Confirm? Also opinions on John Rhys Davies NOT playing Gimli? It makes me sad...

The Hobbit is, indeed, going to be in two parts. The first part will release winter of next year, and the second part in winter 2013. Also why would John Rhys Davies need to play Gimli? He's not in The Hobbit.
BZPRPG

On another note i heard that the Hobbit was going to be split into two parts, anyone able to Confirm? Also opinions on John Rhys Davies NOT playing Gimli? It makes me sad...

The Hobbit is, indeed, going to be in two parts. The first part will release winter of next year, and the second part in winter 2013. Also why would John Rhys Davies need to play Gimli? He's not in The Hobbit.
For some reason my brain told me Gimli was in the hobbit. Also thanks for Confirming

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

So I don't really follow LotR outside of the movies; I love it, but I'm not that in-depth into it (I did at least attempt to read Fellowship of the Ring, but I just got lost (I have actually read through the Hobbit, though)). BUT. Gandalf the Gray costume. =D (that was made for Senior Citizen Day for Spirit Week at my school, and YES that IS an undershirt on my face)

Agreed. I honestly can't think of anyone else for the role.

imo11b1ulynbq2ju7il.png