Daft Punk

iPenguin

If y'all liked that teaser, I suggest looking up the remix done by pHaZe Project. It's got me stoked for the new album.

I just can't wait for those shiny helmets to be in the spotlight again!

There's nothing to fear
Your saviors are here
krogoth.jpg
This ship is coming down
This ship is coming down
This ship is coming down
Coming down
Coming down

I started listening to Daft Punk last summer. I listened to Homework and thought they were pretty cool.

About a month ago I listened to Discovery and Human After All. Now I'm completely hooked and they've pretty much immediately become one of my favorite musical acts.

(Also, I think as far as Human After All goes, you really have to listen to it a few times before you really start to like it. And then if you listen to Alive 2007 you'll like it even more!)

naw man

I started listening to Daft Punk last summer. I listened to Homework and thought they were pretty cool.

About a month ago I listened to Discovery and Human After All. Now I'm completely hooked and they've pretty much immediately become one of my favorite musical acts.

(Also, I think as far as Human After All goes, you really have to listen to it a few times before you really start to like it. And then if you listen to Alive 2007 you'll like it even more!)

A few songs are getting better for me, but I still think it wasn't all too great.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

A few songs are getting better for me, but I still think it wasn't all too great.

Certainly not as good as Homework or Discovery. You should listen to Alive 2007. Really sort of changes the way you listen to the album, somehow.

naw man

Certainly not as good as Homework or Discovery. You should listen to Alive 2007. Really sort of changes the way you listen to the album, somehow.

I heard that before Human After All. It wasn't all too impressive to me as well, but perhaps more enjoyable than HAA.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

Alive 2007 is very good, the mixes are great. Human After All is okay, but, as far as the number of songs I like of each album goes, Discovery is my top one.

Discovery is definitely #1. And Human After All is probably their worst, but I still think it's pretty great. But that could just be because I've listened to music much stranger. :P

Newest album Random Access Memories available for preorder now, expected release is May 21.

Just heard about this! Now I'm seriously excited!

naw man

• 3 weeks later...

I heard that before Human After All. It wasn't all too impressive to me as well, but perhaps more enjoyable than HAA.

Darnit mange.

Human After All was pretty great. It's got this really raw sound while Discovery had this very precise, polished sound. I prefer Discovery, but HAA gets too much hate.

Majhost sucks

I'm curious to see how many people will buy the vinil edition of the album. I mean, it doesn't seem to be a very bright commercial move to me.

I would get it on Vinyl. Vinyl is higher quality than a CD, while mp3 is more portable than CD. Basically CDs suck and it's a miracle they still exist.

A lot of artists are releasing their stuff on vinyl, which I am so happy for.

Majhost sucks

I'm curious to see how many people will buy the vinil edition of the album. I mean, it doesn't seem to be a very bright commercial move to me.

I would get it on Vinyl. Vinyl is higher quality than a CD, while mp3 is more portable than CD. Basically CDs suck and it's a miracle they still exist.

Uh, didn't know that. But what I meant is, will it have good results? You know, vinyl-reading devices seem to be quite "rare". At least where I live...

Uh, didn't know that. But what I meant is, will it have good results? You know, vinyl-reading devices seem to be quite "rare". At least where I live...

Vinyl players are still a really niche thing, but they are slowly becoming more popular.On the other hand, did anyone hear about Daft Punk performing at this tiny Australian agricultural festival?

Majhost sucks

An extended Daft punk ad appeared at Coachella and it is absolutely amazing. I seriously CANNOT wait.

:s:

Looked it up as soon as I saw this and, my goodness, I'm digging the sequins and instruments. I also love how much fun Nile Rodgers seems to be having both in this video and the collaborator's project interviews.

My only complaint so far is that the more I hear of the rest of the song, the less I like the robot singing part. It probably flows well in the finished product but right now it sounds like it was just put in to say "Yeah, we're still electronic."

There's nothing to fear
Your saviors are here
krogoth.jpg
This ship is coming down
This ship is coming down
This ship is coming down
Coming down
Coming down

My only complaint so far is that the more I hear of the rest of the song, the less I like the robot singing part. It probably flows well in the finished product but right now it sounds like it was just put in to say "Yeah, we're still electronic."

I like that part of the song better than the straight singing parts. It adds that processed edge that I tend to associate with them.

Plus it lets the actual tune come through better. Not really a fan of the lyrics.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Plus it lets the actual tune come through better. Not really a fan of the lyrics.

Fair enough. The lyrics aren't that interesting to me either; they seem like simplistic "party all night" lyrics, yet I can't complain about that since it's always a party with Daft Punk.

Listening to the teaser again (and again), I think I'm warming up to the robot voices. Maybe it's because I'm now associating it with the image of Daft Punk and friends dancing in front of the sun.

There's nothing to fear
Your saviors are here
krogoth.jpg
This ship is coming down
This ship is coming down
This ship is coming down
Coming down
Coming down

I heard about that, yes, but it seems to be fake.

Apparently it was covered by The Guardian and Pitchfork, so I'm guessing it is true.

I really liked the Coachella video. There is so much hype for the album that I can barely take it all.

Has anyone read the interview with Thomas and Rolling Stone magazine? He says some very true things about the current state of electronic music.

Edited by Reckoner

Majhost sucks

Anyone else bought the new single yet? Or heard it?

Absolutely not disappointed!

Just heard it due to your post.

Honestly, it's not that mega-amazing like I expected it to be, but it's not bad. Surely it isn't.

I would have liked more of the robot voice; not that Pharrell's is bad, however he gives the song a sound that is more pop than techno-electro-whatevergenreDaftPunkare, in some spots of the songs.

After all, it's just a song out of an entire album, so I don't think this has ruined my excitement for Random Acces Memories. I just hope for a song of the style of Digital Love to be in it. That would be the coolest thing to happen this year.

Anyone else bought the new single yet? Or heard it?

Absolutely not disappointed!

Just heard it due to your post.

Honestly, it's not that mega-amazing like I expected it to be, but it's not bad. Surely it isn't.

I would have liked more of the robot voice; not that Pharrell's is bad, however he gives the song a sound that is more pop than techno-electro-whatevergenreDaftPunkare, in some spots of the songs.

After all, it's just a song out of an entire album, so I don't think this has ruined my excitement for Random Acces Memories. I just hope for a song of the style of Digital Love to be in it. That would be the coolest thing to happen this year.

Yeah, well the band has noted that the new album has a more "west-coast vibe" to it. Meaning there's not likely to be as much electronic style music on it, but I believe the robotic/vocoder voices will still be included. (Seeing as they were in Get Lucky.) Also, this was only the radio edit, so there could possibly be more Daft Punk vocals on the album version, which is an entire 2 minutes longer than the radio version.

I heard that there's actually only one song off the new album that's entirely techno/electronic. There's still elements of electronic music in the other songs, but I think there are a lot more "natural" instruments on this album. (But at least the robot voices are still here!)

naw man

I was a bit disappointed with "Get Lucky" when I first heard it myself. Then I decided to listen to it as something other than an electronic dance number.

The song became more glorious after that.

There's nothing to fear
Your saviors are here
krogoth.jpg
This ship is coming down
This ship is coming down
This ship is coming down
Coming down
Coming down

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've been listening to it almost non-stop, Get Lucky has stuck in my head. At first impact, you may say "Nah, this isn't Daft Punk, I want the old ones back". Then you get used to it and start saying "Well, this isn't like old Daft Punk, so what?". It's very good, after all. I think they're just following their ideas: I remember reading about one of their interviews where they said "We never like to do the same thing twice. It's more fun and entertaining for us to do something different". So I bet that's what they've done with Random Access Memories ( well, or at least with Get Lucky ), they're exploring their "hidden" side.

So you can listen to Random Access Memories for free and legally on their iTunes page for a limited time.

My opinion? Absolutely incredible. I thought the entire album would sort of have a "Get Lucky" feel to it, but it goes in a pretty different direction. Completely caught me by surprise. RAM is like the In Rainbows of Daft Punk. In other words, the best DP album, if not one the the best albums ever made.

Edited by ReckoningReckoner

Majhost sucks