Mask of Light 10th Anniversary

LunaStar

Oh man... It's been 10 years. 10 years since all that hype... Writing stories in grade 3 and reading every BIONICLE comic and LEGO magazine billions of times over to get my latest fix before the movie. 10 years since I watched in jealousy as my friends all got the movie on VHS and teased me about it... 10 years since BIONICLE: The Game, though I was still playing Super Mario on my NES. 10 year since I first watched the movie, a sense of magic instilled in me. I watched it so many time. Back then, it was so epic, so surreal... so abso-freakin-lutely awesome!

Oh man, time goes by so fast. It's kind of depressing.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

I didn't watch the movie before 2004 actually, so it's actually 9 years to me. :P It's been some time, isn't it? ^_^ Though I may be the only one who says they cannot believe it's been that long, because it does feel like some time ago. :P However, I have to say we watched the movie some months ago and now I think it's actually pretty bad. It simply has that magic of seeing some of your favourite characters come to life but the story and animation are quite bad. :P Still, it will always hold some special place in my heart. :) The music was fantastic, too. LoMN is better, though.

I think I remember making a one year anniversary topic in 2004. :PI don't really see it as much to celebrate. I admit I liked it when the hype was in swing, but I've felt for a long time that it doesn't do the Bionicle world justice. Numerous characters' personalities being rewritten, the Matoran's kiddie voices (I can't decide which is cringiest), the rigorous ban on violence rendering the action scenes completely tame, the bizarre Kolhii match 'climax'...this could go on. The only genuinely good thing was Nathan Furst's soundtrack, and even that was fairly bland orchestral adventure stuff.Legends of Metru Nui was a far better movie, probably due to its darker approach.

Haha you were lucky to get the movie as it was in the first place. In Germany several minutes were cut out for being considered too violent or scary, including all the Kraata screeching scenes and the Onua vs Vohrahk fight. WoS was even worse, though, where they cut out ENTIRE TEN MINUTES. :blink:-Gata signoff.png Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

In Germany several minutes were cut out for being considered too violent or scary, including all the Kraata screeching scenes and the Onua vs Vohrahk fight. WoS was even worse, though, where they cut out ENTIRE TEN MINUTES. :blink:

I knew they were a bit overprotective in Germany but 10 minutes is a sacrilege. XD

-G u u R a h K

In Germany several minutes were cut out for being considered too violent or scary, including all the Kraata screeching scenes and the Onua vs Vohrahk fight. WoS was even worse, though, where they cut out ENTIRE TEN MINUTES. :blink:

I knew they were a bit overprotective in Germany but 10 minutes is a sacrilege. XD

10 minutes?! What in the world was so scary about Web of Shadows that they needed to cut out 10 minutes? If I had to take a guess at which 10 minutes they cut out though, it would be the beginning part where the Toa are attacked by Visorak.

Bliss.png

10 minutes?! What in the world was so scary about Web of Shadows that they needed to cut out 10 minutes? If I had to take a guess at which 10 minutes they cut out though, it would be the beginning part where the Toa are attacked by Visorak.

That and some other scenes, for example part of the transformation into Toa Hordika. Some parts of the movie don't even make sense anymore that way. -.--Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

That and some other scenes, for example part of the transformation into Toa Hordika. Some parts of the movie don't even make sense anymore that way. -.--Gata signoff.png

If they cut that part out too, how would anyone not following the story know what in the world happened to the Toa? :???: I can see how that part in particular would be scary, but still...

Bliss.png

If they cut that part out too, how would anyone not following the story know what in the world happened to the Toa? :???: I can see how that part in particular would be scary, but still...

You can see part, but it's Vakama saying he's failed the other Toa and then suddenly see him fall down as a Hordika. As far as I remember there is something missing there.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

You can see part, but it's Vakama saying he's failed the other Toa and then suddenly see him fall down as a Hordika. As far as I remember there is something missing there.-Gata signoff.png

Whoa. That's SOME censorship.

Movie starts, title gets in, credits roll. :P

-G u u R a h K

There's something missing there alright. :lol: But at least they don't cut out the part where they fall from the cocoons.

Bliss.png

Whoa. That's SOME censorship. Movie starts, title gets in, credits roll. :P

Haha yeah. :P It was kind of awful. Now I've just noticed they also cut away the scene of Vakama's hand in the ocean.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Haha yeah. :P It was kind of awful. Now I've just noticed they also cut away the scene of Vakama's hand in the ocean.-Gata signoff.png

Now that one, I understand. That made me jump the first time I saw it.

Bliss.png

But it was in the trailer. I watched the movie expecting it and was disappointed. :PThey also removed when Vakama attacked Norik.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

But it was in the trailer. I watched the movie expecting it and was disappointed. :PThey also removed when Vakama attacked Norik.-Gata signoff.png

Jeez, it must have been very short then...

Bliss.png

66 minutes.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

66 minutes.-Gata signoff.png

I think the US version was 80 minutes. I could be wrong though.

Bliss.png

I think the US version was 80 minutes. I could be wrong though.

76 minutes, if my memory serves. And that supports Gata's assertion that ten minutes were cut.

Oh that's right. And yes, it would. I thought he was saying that even more than 10 minutes were cut out.

Cutting 10 minutes is sacrilege, more then 10 minutes is blasphemy. :P

-G u u R a h K

Just less than 2 months left to go until the actual 10th anniversary.

Mask of Light was definitely my favorite of all the Bionicle movies. I never got it until many years after it was released, but once I finally owned a copy, it was definitely the one I watched more frequently than any of the others.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

Just less than 2 months left to go until the actual 10th anniversary.

Mask of Light was definitely my favorite of all the Bionicle movies. I never got it until many years after it was released, but once I finally owned a copy, it was definitely the one I watched more frequently than any of the others.

Yes, let's get back on topic. :P

I'll have to put the date of the anniversary in my notifications so I don't forget to watch it on the 16th! :) It's amazing that it's already been 10 years since I first watched it.

Bliss.png