MU inhabitant lifespan

I remember reading somewhere that the lifespan of an average MU inhabitant (I think the source said Matoran) was 100,000 years. Looking into the timeline of Bionicle, hasn't 100,000 years already/almost passed? So right as the Matoran/ MU beings begin a new life, they all drop dead from old age? This would be quite a way for Greg to explain a definite end. "What happened to our favorite bionicle characters?" "They all dropped dead." On a similar note, would Beings who were transformed/rebuilt have longer lifespans, like a sort of reset? For example: Toa, Turaga, the Toa Nuva and the Mata Nui Matoran? This brings up another question: Whats the average lifespan of an Agori/Glatorian?

No, what you heard was most likely merely the answer that their lifespans must be at least 100,000 years, since Takua is confirmed to be at least that old (and older). If by chance you did hear someone saying it was at most that time, they are incorrect, for the reason you say. We simply do not know what the upper cap on it is.In other words, you have apparently confused a statement of a minimum possibility (for average natural lifespan; of course anyone could die by other means earlier) for a maximum. Or perhaps someone else confused that and you heard them.We do not know whether transformations affect lifespan. Some things like the rapid aging of The Shadowed One by Voporak would shorten lifespans, though. A Mask of Aging could do that too.And similarly we don't know the maximum or average span for Agori/etc.All we know is that all these beings DO have maximums, and that there is an average maximum. With Agori/etc. they probably know it, but with MU beings it's possible that nobody has any idea, even the Great Beings, since the first individual in that group, Takua, is still alive.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Metal can be replaced, and MU inhabitants (at least Matoran) can have their tissue decay and then regrow (the Toa Mata post-canisters). People like Lariska have entirely mechanical limbs, so that seem to imply that her tissue did not regenerate quickly - or simply that the removal of the entire arm also removes the base of whatever might have regenerated.I see their lifespan as being limited only by how well they can avoid wear on their bodies. Regular use of replacement parts, tissue healing/regrowth and an avoidance of violent injuries should let them keep going for as long as they can.

Isnt that the point of Karzahni, to prevent matoran from breaking down and dying, so it can be assumed that they can live pretty long as long as they recive proper repairs, and takua/takanuva never really got hurt as a matoran so he could be considered as a baseline perfect matoran specimen.

I don't know, but it could be that the lifespan of a MU inhabitant could just be until their destiny is fufiled. Maybe you are able to die once your destiny is complete.

Not really because when your destiny is fulfilled as a Toa, you can just choose to be a Turaga anytime. But it is likely, as in Journey's End that is answer to one of the riddles:

What do you seek?(Mata Nui)"I seek unity!"What is your burden?"Duty."What brings you life, and death?"Destiny"

I know it wasn't worded exactly like that, but vey similar. :)

Well the MU sat on SM for a few thousand years, like, twenty thousand right? And it has been filled with life since near day one. So Takua could be upwards near 110,000.

Where did you get that number from? (Mainly curious for sake of my history retelling.) BS01's timeline only says "100,000+ Years ago", without saying anything about how long the "plus" was, so I have had to avoid the issue, but got the sense it was much shorter than that.

As far as the timeline states, all we know is that it cannot have been more than 50,000 years since that's how long before the first number the prototype robot was built.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Well the MU sat on SM for a few thousand years, like, twenty thousand right? And it has been filled with life since near day one. So Takua could be upwards near 110,000.

Where did you get that number from? (Mainly curious for sake of my history retelling.) BS01's timeline only says "100,000+ Years ago", without saying anything about how long the "plus" was, so I have had to avoid the issue, but got the sense it was much shorter than that.

As far as the timeline states, all we know is that it cannot have been more than 50,000 years since that's how long before the first number the prototype robot was built.

The GS wasn't built in one day. My guess is it must've taken a few thousand years, probably 20,000. Just a guess though. We know that the Toa Mata are older than 100,000, bc they were in Karda-Nui before their slumber, meaning the GS was not awake. Also, Takua is a perfect example for lifespan of a Matoran, even if he is a Toa. He is at least 100,000+ years old.

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

I usually assume they're pretty much functionally immortal until all the wear gets to them.

Or they get killed.

Yeah, that's how I thought of it as well. Seeing that no one has just "died". Instead they have been killed.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

And dying prematurely wouldn't really help keep the robot working efficiently either.

Explanation for the Red Star revelation, right there. Which sort of renders this whole discussion...weird.

I think the GBs designed the Matoran to "live until we no longer need them." It's kind of like "You will live until you finish our task, then you have permission to die. Oh, and you will probably will die, thanks to us."

Edited by fishers64