Would you back an official BIONICLE Kickstarter?

Kraahlix

Would you back an official BIONICLE Kickstarter?  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If Greg/Lego started an official Kickstarter project for BIONICLE content, would you support it? Be realistic with your answer, depending on your current finances.This is just something I considered, for discussion purposes.

Edited by Gustav Mahler
apparently kickstarter has comments and stuff so the admins don't want us to link to us sorry buddy

It would depend on exactly what the project entailed. Not only that, but it'd be strange for such a major company to turn to Kickstarter - I feel like the point of Kickstarter is more to enable smaller companies or groups to help get an idea off the ground, not necessarily for a larger company like Lego to raise funds for a project.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

depends on how many other people would help out, I wouldn't want to spend my money on a brocken cause.
That's a great thing about Kickstarter. If the goal is not met, nobody pays. The transaction doesn't occur until enough people are committed. Either that, or your money is returned if the project fails.

Bionicle? At least $20. Possibly more. Actually, probably more, I've spent more than that on other things I hold less dear. If this became a reality at some point when my total amount of money could be summed up as "LINT" I'd probably be able to convince my mum this is at least as important to me as a $20 book, that being the maximumish that she's willing to pay for a book for me that doesn't require a thesis paper on why it would be useful for the whole family.Short answer: $20, definitely, no strings attached. A reward would be awesome but the reward of Bionicle being baaaaaack if it succeeds would be good enough. (And by the time this happens, if it does, I'll probably be financially independent and then I'd be buying all the things.)

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

I would pour at least a hundred dollars into it. More, depending on the rewards.Let's Keep Bionicle Alive,Lewa Krom

Edited by Lewa Krom

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

Kickstarter is for people who don't have money for a project or don't want to work for it.Lego is a successful corporation.Sooooo.Yeah.
They don't have money allotted for that which doesn't make profits. :PAnyways, I said probably $5.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

Depends on the medium. What are you going to do with Bionicle that merits my money? Tell me, and I'll decide.
Pretty much this. I won't just instantly back something just because it's under the BIONICLE name.Assuming it's something I personally approve of and deem worthy of my support, I'd choose an amount depending on the reward tiers; most likely around $20 if past projects I've already supported are any indication.~ (A VTOAHMKEARH)

• 2 weeks later...

There are a huge number of things to consider here, most importantly, where would the money go?Lego left Bionicle behind for a reason. Whether we bring back just the story, or create a whole new story line, new sets, new media, it probably wouldn't reach Lego's standards, and it probably wouldn't sell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It depends on the medium. Supporting sets on Kickstarter would be a waste; that's what Cuusoo is for, since the only party who could legally produce Bionicle sets is Lego itself (who have no reason to use Kickstarter). But if someone connected to Bionicle's creation (like Christian Faber) were to start a kickstarter for a book about Bionicle's development, I could bring myself to support something like that.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Kickstarter is for people who don't have money for a project or don't want to work for it.Lego is a successful corporation.Sooooo.Yeah.
I disagree strongly. True, kickstarter is designed mainly for small companies to get started, but the same model could easily be used to allow large successful companies the opportunity to take a risk. In this case that risk would bbe to bring back a dead toyline. It would also allow Lego the chance to judge the potential interest and success the community could provide for the rebirth of Bionicle.I am no longer a Bionicle fan and I wouuld likely never buy another Bionicle set, but I would be willing to donate at least $20 if it could help to breathe new life into this community and allow those here who still enjoy Bionicle to continue to do so.

Is it strange to be annoyed that other people are using my color?

Y'all know who you are.

califlag.png

Sure, they could use Kickstarter to assess the risk factor of reviving Bionicle, but that's what the Lego R&D team is for. As a company they already have professionals who can determine that risk.
What's more, Kickstarter would be an alarmingly poor way to assess the risk of relaunching a toy aimed at kids. Kickstarter does best when the audience it seeks funding from and the audience it seeks once the product is actually released are as similar as possible. The fact that a large quantity of adults agreed to fund the relaunch of Bionicle would not mean that kids would flock to it the way they once did. And the funding would indeed come primarily from adults, since kids in general lack the kind of disposable income to make something like this happen.Again, though, if the project were for some extended line project (book, documentary, etc.) that were aimed at adult fans and collectors, I could see it happening so long as it had the right people behind it.

No. I will pay for quality Bionicle sets, not for a promise to bring back Bionicle. I will not waste money backing a Kickstarter that results in a sloppy effort in pleasing the fans. As a repeat Lego customer, I want new ideas that will support what came before but still have the novelty to keep me interested and NOT a rehash of the old nostalgic stuff which was popular seven years ago. This is why I no longer buy Lego Star Wars sets, it's just the same things over and over again. Heck, when Lego released an X-wing, then released almost the EXACT SAME SET two years later and passed it off as a new set, I just lost interest. I was little when I got the second set and I never had the first, so I stayed interested for a few more years. But when I found out I just said no. No. Lego should just kill Star Wars. If they can justify ending Bionicle, then I can justify them ending Star Wars. They have already released all the sets 5 times over, except for some vehicles introduced in Clone Wars. But really, X-wings and TIE Fighters are the backbone, and sooner or later, that will crumble. Lego Star Wars is running purely on the kids who have only lived through one or two generations of the theme, like Bionicle was running purely on the old fans.Well, that concluded my rant about Star Wars and Bionicle. This is why I left behind the BBB ideals long ago.

Edited by Dralcax

aouROFb.png

No. I will pay for quality Bionicle sets, not for a promise to bring back Bionicle. I will not waste money backing a Kickstarter that results in a sloppy effort in pleasing the fans. As a repeat Lego customer, I want new ideas that will support what came before but still have the novelty to keep me interested and NOT a rehash of the old nostalgic stuff which was popular seven years ago. This is why I no longer buy Lego Star Wars sets, it's just the same things over and over again. Heck, when Lego released an X-wing, then released almost the EXACT SAME SET two years later and passed it off as a new set, I just lost interest. I was little when I got the second set and I never had the first, so I stayed interested for a few more years. But when I found out I just said no. No. Lego should just kill Star Wars. If they can justify ending Bionicle, then I can justify them ending Star Wars. They have already released all the sets 5 times over, except for some vehicles introduced in Clone Wars. But really, X-wings and TIE Fighters are the backbone, and sooner or later, that will crumble. Lego Star Wars is running purely on the kids who have only lived through one or two generations of the theme, like Bionicle was running purely on the old fans.Well, that concluded my rant about Star Wars and Bionicle. This is why I left behind the BBB ideals long ago.
I totally disagree with your point about Star Wars. Compare the most recent X-Wing set to any of the ones which came before it and you'll see that the newest one is superior in almost every way. The same goes for most of their rereleases. The Lego system has come a long way since Lego Star Wars debuted, and it shows in modern set design. The only reason I no longer purchase Lego Star Wars sets is because I'm not as big a Star Wars fan as I was many years back, and because Lego Star Wars sets are more expensive than comparably-sized sets in other themes.On top of that, the reason they won't end Star Wars the way they ended Bionicle is because the sales of Star Wars sets have remained massively successful, unlike those of Bionicle which trailed off in later years. The difference between Lego Star Wars running on new fans and Bionicle running on older fans is that new fans are constantly replenished, whereas when older Bionicle fans stopped buying the sets, newer fans failed to take their place. Besides, I think you'll find that Lego Star Wars has plenty of consistent fans who eagerly anticipate new versions of their favorite ships.