Lhikan's Mask?

Irrie

This may have already been answered before, but was it ever explained in-story as to why Lhikan's noble Hau took the shape of a great Hau while Jaller wore it? 

Sorry if this has already been solved, but I checked several different Bionicle story databases and couldn't find anything. 

bZpOwEr

Apparently, the Turaga had some sort of influence over the mask, and were able to reshape it for some reason--supposedly to hide memory of Metru Nui or something. How or why this one instance was necessary, we don't know.

Beyond that, there is no explanation. Just plot convenience. :P

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I like to think that it was because of his inner Toa Energy transforming his mask into a great Hau, like a foreshadowing.

What about the Metrutoran? Didn't they all have Kanohi that were shaped like noble masks, and were destined to become Toa? 

Apparently, the Turaga had some sort of influence over the mask, and were able to reshape it for some reason--supposedly to hide memory of Metru Nui or something. How or why this one instance was necessary, we don't know.

Beyond that, there is no explanation. Just plot convenience. :P

Post-mortem willpower over objects? The Matoran Universe just keeps getting better and better!

bZpOwEr

I like to think that it was because of his inner Toa Energy transforming his mask into a great Hau, like a foreshadowing.

What about the Metrutoran? Didn't they all have Kanohi that were shaped like noble masks, and were destined to become Toa? 

Are you talking about the Great disks Matoran ? They were never destined to become Toa, so they don't have Toa energy inside them.

Edited by Zidonaro

Are you talking about the Great disks Matoran ? They were never destined to become Toa, so they don't have Toa energy inside them.

Yeah they were. They were supposed to get the Toa stones, but Teridax messed with Lhikan's mind, so he gave them to Vakama & co. instead. 

bZpOwEr

Yeah they were. They were supposed to get the Toa stones, but Teridax messed with Lhikan's mind, so he gave them to Vakama & co. instead. 

Which was an action from Mata Nui himself altering the stars with the names of the wrong Matoran and planting the name of the right Matoran into Teridax's mind that made Teridax think that he was picking the wrong Matoran, when in reality he was unknowingly picking the right ones.

It's confusing, I know.

Edited by Zidonaro
  • Upvote 1

And Mata Nui messed with Teridax's mind, because the actual Toa Metru were destined. Only destined Matoran can transform at a certain time--no sooner, no later. 

Mata Nui influenced Teridax to influence Lhikan to give those six the Toa Stones. The Order of Mata Nui planted false evidence that the GD Matoran were the destined ones to help mess with the Makuta.

EDIT: Kapura'd

Edited by ~T1S~

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Which was an action From Mata Nui himself altering the stars with the names of the wrong Matoran and planting the name of the right Matoran names into Teridax's mind that made Teridax think that he was picking the wrong Matoran.

It's confusing, I know.

Well, you sure got me there.  :P

'Suppose you could be right about Matoran who are destined to be Toa controlling the design of their mask. I can't think of any examples that defy that off the top of my head, but there could be a few that do. 

bZpOwEr

And Mata Nui messed with Teridax's mind, because the actual Toa Metru were destined. Only destined Matoran can transform at a certain time--no sooner, no later. 

Mata Nui influenced Teridax to influence Lhikan to give those six the Toa Stones. The Order of Mata Nui planted false evidence that the GD Matoran were the destined ones to help mess with the Makuta.

EDIT: Kapura'd

You're the second one I kapura'd today  :P

It is odd, as Maku was able to wear a noble Huna, but why DID Jala/Lihkans Hau become great, rather than stay noble?

Possible reason, we have never seen a toy form of the Noble Hau.

Well, since Turaga Lhikan is now officially a set, we could consider lhikan's set mask to be a noble hau now. But then again, why would the Toa Lhikan set would be wearing a noble mask ?

It is odd, as Maku was able to wear a noble Huna, but why DID Jala/Lihkans Hau become great, rather than stay noble?

Well, since Turaga Lhikan is now officially a set, we could consider lhikan's set mask to be a noble hau now. But then again, why would the Toa Lhikan set would be wearing a noble mask ?

Oh ya, we got Duracell Lihkan.

However, as TOA Lihkan existed first, his TURAGA form is wearing a great Hau, thus, we have never seen a true Noble hau.

Oh ya, we got Duracell Lihkan.

However, as TOA Lihkan existed first, his TURAGA form is wearing a great Hau, thus, we have never seen a true Noble hau.

Yeah, but we clearly have a paradox here, because Turaga can't wear great kanohi. However, on the other hand, a Toa can wear a noble kanohi.

Nothing that a simple retcon can't fix.

Two words

Artistic license 

-NotS

In-Story explanations. 

Anyway, it could be that Lhikan was wearing a noble Hau the entire time he was a Toa? 

This is what I love about Bionicle. Discussing a toyline too much can give you headaches.  :P

bZpOwEr

It was never explained as far as I know. I'm not aware of any evidence the Turaga had anything to do with it. It looks more like something the mask did on its own.

I've always taken it as at least implying Jaller thought of himself as more of a Great Hau (shape) kind of person than a Noble. It might also indicate he was destined to be a Toa (who wear Great masks). What caused it? Probably just some coding in protodermis; we know it normally handles mask shape transformations in Toa and Turaga cases, so makes sense it could do it on its own to have masks "match" their wearer in some way.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Well, I never thought too much of it, mainly artistic license. But there is a general understanding that Matoran seem to adjust things the way they think/see fit, like when they transform into Toa, they would look like what they invisioned a Toa to be

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

There was no explaination, but masks do weird things all the time when the sets demand it.

Lhikan's weird Hau as a Toa was never explained, aside from that it was a great Hau in a different shape.

The confirmation of the Gold Good Guy as Turaga Lhikan supports the theory that that was the noble shape all along.

If Lhikan, like Norik was wearing his mask in a deliberately noble shape for some personal reason, then maybe it was done in a special way other than being reforged. Then when Jala received it, it reset to the original shape it had when Lhikan was a matoran.

• Upvote 1

There was no explaination, but masks do weird things all the time when the sets demand it.

Lhikan's weird Hau as a Toa was never explained, aside from that it was a great Hau in a different shape.

The confirmation of the Gold Good Guy as Turaga Lhikan supports the theory that that was the noble shape all along.

Yes, there was. The form we were used to is the Artakha/Metru Nui-style Hau, and since Lhikan hails from some other part of the MU, his mask is shaped differently to reflect a slight difference in culture.

The "Noble" Hau used in the set was still the Great version. It looks that way because the set designers didn't want/need to create an exclusive mold for what was basically a throwaway set. It costs them to make new molds, so, instead of doing that, they just went with the closest approximation to what they were going for--in this case, the Great, southern-style Hau.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~