Mechanical Toa Evidence

I doubt we'll ever see the particulars of how new villagers are "born". This is a kids' series, after all, and the story so far has treated them as people rather than as an exotic species. You wouldn't expect a series with human characters to go into detail about where new humans come from unless it were essential to the storyline. Even in G1, which was at many points a lot more explicit about the characters being alien species (by our reckoning), we usually didn't get a whole lot of detail about Matoran life processes outside of Greg answers.

Even so, lots of explanation isn't required (when discussing a series about humans) because even kids know that children are born from their parents, rather than built or grown from some weird pods in a secret chamber on Krypton. :P Since G2 is supposed to be geared more towards the younger audience, why say things (passed down from father to son) if they're just gonna make it more complicated by adding "but we mean the kids are built from spare parts." 

I get the idea that most of the argument FOR mechanical or mostly mechanical characters is coming from us older fans wanting the new series to be just like the old one. Why can't LEGO do something different by giving us organic characters wearing armor? 

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I doubt we'll ever see the particulars of how new villagers are "born". This is a kids' series, after all, and the story so far has treated them as people rather than as an exotic species. You wouldn't expect a series with human characters to go into detail about where new humans come from unless it were essential to the storyline. Even in G1, which was at many points a lot more explicit about the characters being alien species (by our reckoning), we usually didn't get a whole lot of detail about Matoran life processes outside of Greg answers.

Even so, lots of explanation isn't required (when discussing a series about humans) because even kids know that children are born from their parents, rather than built or grown from some weird pods in a secret chamber on Krypton. :P Since G2 is supposed to be geared more towards the younger audience, why say things (passed down from father to son) if they're just gonna make it more complicated by adding "but we mean the kids are built from spare parts." 

I get the idea that most of the argument FOR mechanical or mostly mechanical characters is coming from us older fans wanting the new series to be just like the old one. Why can't LEGO do something different by giving us organic characters wearing armor?

Probably because insisting that the characters don't LOOK like entirely organic characters wearing armor, and to insist otherwise would stretch suspension of disbelief just like it did when Greg tried to claim that about the Glatorian. The new Toa have no visible organic components, not even on the faces under their masks (which would be extremely hard to interpret as being "armor" over an organic head).

The story tells us that the Protectors do in fact have children, but how that works doesn't particularly matter to the outcome of the story. I don't think we need any sort of explicit explanation of the characters' biology for their story to resonate, and I would think things like the way characters reproduce are better left up to fan imaginations than explicitly defined in-story.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Considering that the title of protector is handed down from "father to son" that means they can reproduce, which pretty much means they're bio-mechanical(or possibly just biological, perhaps everything mechanical is just an exoskeleton) AND that they age (as we can see by the small little bitty villager).

...or they're still mechanical, but able to reproduce.

Von Neumann machines are a common sci-fi device and potential galaxy exploration method. They're machines that land on a rock and build copies of themselves with local resources. The copies then take off to other places and repeat the cycle. Essentially reproducing robots, though reproducing with a very different method to organics.

Should I bring up how the family term of brother in Gen1 was used not to represent direct relation to each other but rather a close relationship between two or more individuals. Seeing as how we don't even know if there are even gender differences between members of the tribes or even the tribes themselves. There's even a topic discussing the gender of the Protector of Water. So clearly the gen2 story team is very hush-hush about this.

We are only presuming that Gali is female due to her being such in Gen1. That being said; I would think it is safe to say that for now the term father to son is a reference to passing the leadership torch to the next generation rather then actually only a Male genetic Parent passing the torch to a male genetic child. Meaning that while there was a form of reproduction in gen1 in the form of the Red Star and I heard about some machine deal, but no parentage. That does not mean there is a different more biological version in Gen2 just because of listing a possible parent to child line of succession. Before it is said as the only rebuttal: yes that doesn't mean there isn't either.

Without any gender specifics we can only speculate. I mean if we derive that the "Father to son" line is to be taken at face value then that means that the Protector of water is male end of story. This further leads down the road that perhaps all members of the water tribe are male. On the flip side perhaps genders are not element exclusive?

So where does that leave this concept? Well as already suggested one does not have to biological(carbon based?) to be able to reproduce as certain mechanical beings are capable of doing so either by building the next generation themselves or have a mechanical version of our own biological reproduction. By us I don't just mean humans or other life forms that reproduce via interaction with the opposite sex. Some due so simply by cell divide such as bacteria or worms and starfish. When something is reproduced it is recreated in some form. How that recreation happens can be greatly different. There doesn't even have to be genders as we know them in Gen2. Calling from another mechanical species the Cybertronians, while they do not actually have genders; differences between two types that we describe as being male or female do exist. This is true even for the Beast Wars series where they do actually implement Organic parts to their systems.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Probably because insisting that the characters don't LOOK like entirely organic characters wearing armor, and to insist otherwise would stretch suspension of disbelief just like it did when Greg tried to claim that about the Glatorian. The new Toa have no visible organic components, not even on the faces under their masks (which would be extremely hard to interpret as being "armor" over an organic head).

The story tells us that the Protectors do in fact have children, but how that works doesn't particularly matter to the outcome of the story. I don't think we need any sort of explicit explanation of the characters' biology for their story to resonate, and I would think things like the way characters reproduce are better left up to fan imaginations than explicitly defined in-story.

Allow me to explain how the whole "story follows sets" deal works.

The sets give the basic image for the characters. As with the Glatorian and Agori, the sets gave us a basic appearance to look at, while the story gave us something to fit within that image. Same here--the designers give us something cool to look at while the story team gives us something that fleshes out the character. 

Did the Matoran have little parts to represent organics? No. Did the Visorak? No. Did any set in G1 indicate that they were biomechanical? No. So, since the story told us something to fit within the image of the sets, there's nothing here telling us that the 2015 characters can't be some measure of organic.

However, it would provide some worldbuilding, as nothing has up to this point. What is the basis for their society? How did it originate, and what led to what they are now? Ignoring this aspect of them would do nothing to answer any of that.

Clear?

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

man, this reminded me how ridiculously in-depth Bionicle fans tend to go on even the simple concepts, like.

we know the villagers have children, since they mention fatherhood and show a child, so i'm guessing they want us to take the logical steps and assume they probably have children the same way we do?

i dunno, one of the main problem points in gen1 was somehow just not falling back to earth concepts often enough. :t

• Upvote 3

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Technically, it DID exist, but the "technique" was lost until it was rediscovered by the Cybertronian Empire (thus making it a retcon in the same sence that the matrix was always in primes chest) however, as the budding process diluted Primus's life force, the budding gave rise to the Swarm. And as the creators of beast wars speculated, the Swarm destroyed humanity, and eventually evolved into the Vok, and the Vok manipulated Earths history and seeded it with energon so that humanity would have a safe, clean fuel source. However, when the Vok were forced to detonate the energon with the Planet buster, most of the energon was destroyed, meaning that the Voks attempts to make amends for their sins were all in vain.

Edited by Decepticonwarrior

wow new data on Transformers while being in a Bionicle topic on a Bionicle board. What is this the twilight zone?

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Yeah, that was off topic. :P

I think the argument that this is a kids' series so therefore it will be left vague is kind of a silly one. After all, Gen 1 was a kids' series too, and I don't know about you all, but I was pretty invested in the nitty-gritty details of the story when I was eight years old, just as I'd imagine kids today would be happy to become. Sure, Gen 1 was hilariously overcomplicated for a kids' line, and so far Gen 2 has promise for being friendlier to newcomers and young'ns, but that doesn't mean the mythos can't have depth.

Naturally the storywriters aren't going to come out and say "when a mommy protector and a daddy protector love each other very much...," but I think at least we'll get some idea of the basis for Okoto civilization.

I learned recently that there will be some books this summer. I love speculation as much as the next storyline-and-theorist, but at this point all we know is that there are generations of some sort (although whether the "big event" a thousand years ago is fresh in the minds of these villagers or a folk tale from long ago is up for debate as far as I know). I think the very fact that this is Bionicle tells us that there will be some biology involved (or was that just a reference to the Matoran-cell metaphor?). God, I'm a horrible speculator.

banner.jpg

I think the argument that this is a kids' series so therefore it will be left vague is kind of a silly one. After all, Gen 1 was a kids' series too, and I don't know about you all, but I was pretty invested in the nitty-gritty details of the story when I was eight years old, just as I'd imagine kids today would be happy to become. Sure, Gen 1 was hilariously overcomplicated for a kids' line, and so far Gen 2 has promise for being friendlier to newcomers and young'ns, but that doesn't mean the mythos can't have depth.

This is very true. Kids these days are not as dumb as we as adults believe. With the age of technology what it is the mind may be growing in capabilities even at such a younger age. I mean I don't expect my 4yo to get into Shakespeare or the Odyssey, but that doesn't mean he or anyone within the 6-16 age demographic would not enjoy a more engaging story.  

Naturally the storywriters aren't going to come out and say "when a mommy protector and a daddy protector love each other very much...," but I think at least we'll get some idea of the basis for Okoto civilization.

Well naturally. That would have to first involve admitting that the Protectors come in both gender types. Something they have not done to my knowledge. Any knowledge otherwise is fan speculation based on Gen1 concepts.

I learned recently that there will be some books this summer. I love speculation as much as the next storyline-and-theorist, but at this point all we know is that there are generations of some sort (although whether the "big event" a thousand years ago is fresh in the minds of these villagers or a folk tale from long ago is up for debate as far as I know). I think the very fact that this is Bionicle tells us that there will be some biology involved (or was that just a reference to the Matoran-cell metaphor?). God, I'm a horrible speculator.

Actually I have no idea. I heard there was not going to be a giant robot this time around so cannot really say these new villagers are antibodies within a larger mechanical being. The Term "Bionicle" appears to be so in name. Though if you reference that the story thus far is being narrated, possibly by a Fire Protector to a smaller villager, that could fill the chronicle aspect of Bionicle. Though that is just speculation on my part.

Onua.png

I don't think it should be left vague because it's a kids series. I think it should be left vague because, like it consistently did in the classic story, trying to explain aspects of the characters like their biology both dehumanized them (making them less relateable) and created an unnecessary dissonance with the actual products (by insisting upon biological features that were completely at odds with the actual designs of characters).

If they want to describe the characters as biomechanical, that's fine. But I don't see why they need to explicitly explain where the biological components end and the mechanical components begin. As far as I'm concerned, that level of detail puts an unwarranted emphasis on character biology that would be better devoted to the actual characterization of the heroes. We don't need to know how exactly they work to know what they're capable of and what they stand for, and I think the latter is far, far more important.

• Upvote 5

Na, I'd rather them go into detail about the characters biology.

Why, exactly? It's not particularly important for the story. In fact, it would detract from the story if we learned all the nitty-gritty details on Toa and villager biology.

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

Cause I'm the kind of person who appreciates these kinds of details, they help flesh the universe out and make the world more rich.

It's one reason I can't get into g2, so much is glossed over.

Sorry, glossed over? Just how much story did Gen1 have in the first 4 months? Most of the nitty gritty was later on, anyway, mostly via Greg Answers. Basically, be quiet and be patient. The novels aren't even released yet. Chill.

• Upvote 4

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

I, uh, doubt knowing how many stomachs, hearts, or ribs a toa has would make the world feel more rich. :0

It adds detail to the story, world building, as it is known.

Worldbuilding is important for a good story, but some types of worldbuilding have a greater effect on the story than others. Personally, I'm much more interested in things like Okoto's history, or the culture of its inhabitants. Details about the characters' biological makeup are much more trivial, and inserting that kind of information into the story at a point where it doesn't contribute to the plot is more likely to lessen the level of immersion fans experience as it is to raise it. A paramount rule of storytelling is "show, don't tell"—as such, it only makes sense to worry about those aspects of the characters if it pertains to the action at hand. Also, characters like the Protectors or Toa aren't likely to bring up their own biology in conversation, because to them, those aspects of them are "normal"—just like humans rarely discuss things like their muscle tissue, because to us, for the most part, those aspects of ourselves are all we've ever known.

The classic story, to its credit, rarely ever dwelled on biological aspects of the characters. Trivia like that was mostly relegated to Greg answers, and times when it did come up in the actual text of the books (like in 2006, when Tahu was stabbed during his duel with Zaktan), it was brought up because it was relevant to the outcome of the fight—not just to look at the story through a scientific lens.

• Upvote 6

I agree that it is a very robotic look. I doubt they'd function as audio receptors but I think it is an indicator that they are not meant to be represented as 100% organic beings (as per Bionicle G1 dictated).

-NotS

At the risk of sounding pedantic, speakers are transmitters, not receptors. Audio Receptors would be a microphone, the robotic equivalent of ears, like speakers would replace mouths.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

well seeing as how Bionicle is made of Legos I would think that making it appear solid-fleshy in set form is a bit of a task. While in some cases they may succeed others not so much. Bionicle in my opinion has always held a more mechanical feel to it with minor biology placed it to make them just a bit more relatable. For example requiring a breathing mask to explore underwater areas. Clearly these "Robots" require oxygen to function as we do so must have some form of lungs and possibly even muscles that maybe also require this oxygen as well. Well they don't really need to show these aspects in set form however in other media I don't see the reason they could not. In fact I think there even was in a video of Pohatu pulling himself together that showed both lungs and muscle fibers. Though I don't know if this was official media or a fan interpretation. It is still out there in internet world.

Think about the original Matoran and even Toa. In set form they had anything but recognizable hands yet in most animated media they had hands and poseable fingers to boot. This has changed in Gen2 with the release of actual hand molds. This is a small thing in regards to the topic at hand but a point nonetheless.

A better example of how well a fleshy can be displayed in lego form could be better seen with the new Star Wars releases. Some are done well but you can see they are usually fully armored leaving no flesh tones but the head piece. Now taking it back to Bionicle the head is clearly mechanical in appearance(Anyone else think it looks a lot like the Mata Nui robot head?) So I am going with the notion that this year's characters are more mechanical than organic. Why they are on a possibly organic(Not giant robot) Island I could not say.

Onua.png

While I am all for learning why something is the way it is as opposed to just that it is. A good example would be math equations. Learning the ins an outs of an advanced equation and why it has the answer it does rather than just what the answer is can save problems in the long run in regards to seeing a similar equation later. So in that respect I can understand your position DecepticonWarrior, As I would love to know the anatomy of every cell in the Toa and Protector's Biology it isn't required to advance the story unless there comes a time when such knowledge is merited. Such as damage to such an organ or requiring surgery. Something I don't think they will add to Gen2 any time soon. That isn't to say that down the line such interesting tidbits would be released to sate the appetite for such fans as yourself.

You may talk about your muscles and assorted anatomy bits in conversation but I am sure not everyone does. It is a matter of taste and style. Much how jocks vary to nerds, to plastics; etc.. Each has their own topics of discussion the others would find less than favorable and would think as weird. Most seemingly random tidbits like that would be more suited for a trivia section of a story as opposed to directly a major part of it. Again unless it was an anatomy heavy story such as a medical theme.

Onua.png

"—just like humans rarely discuss things like their muscle tissue, .

Well, maybe you don't...

I mean, not in average conversation. If I start bleeding, I'll acknowledge it. If I pull a muscle, I'll take note of the pain. Those are specific situations where my biology relates directly to my well-being and my senses. But it wouldn't make any sense for Tahu, upon awakening on Okoto, to take an inventory of all his organs and armor or describe himself as "biomechanical", because to him, that's all he's ever known. There really hasn't been a single point in the story so far where it would be necessary or even make any sense to drop that kind of knowledge, so the fact that it's been left ambiguous up to this point really shouldn't surprise anyone.

• Upvote 3

Right. Between the beginning of this topic and now, I have acquired Gali and Kopaka. They both also have the 'speaker' on their chests, though Kopaka's knee-vents also have a similar mesh. I therefore declare the theory head-canon!

Each of the Toa are mechanical, as evidenced by their speakers being located within their chests. Their heads are indeed humanoid, but since they wear masks, their speakers allow them to be heard clearly. Their eyes flashing during speech is a visual indicator common to their 'build-species'.

This is only my head-canon, I'm not asking for it to be canonized or even turned into fanon, but I think it's a solid-enough theory, given current evidence.

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Kopaka has reverse grasshopper knees!

Say what now?

Their eyes flashing during speech is a visual indicator common to their 'build-species'.

This is an animation choice. Remember MNOG? When characters "spoke," their heads bobbed back and forth. This was because of the Kanohi, which were meant to obstruct the view to their mouths.

Same concept with the G2 animations. The eyes flash to indicate speech since the mouths are not visible. Since all the characters are voiced by the same person, and their mouths aren't seen to move, how else to they indicate which character is speaking? Simple: by using the next most expressive part of any being--their eyes.

Also, I fail to see how "they all have that design, so it must be a speaker" makes any sense. Ever heard of spandex? Could just as easily be something like this:

under-armour-ua-battle-longsleeve-t.jpg

Is it not possible for them to be organic/mostly-organic beings with some sort of breathable clothing beneath their armor?

• Upvote 2

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Their eyes flashing during speech is a visual indicator common to their 'build-species'.

This is an animation choice. Remember MNOG? When characters "spoke," their heads bobbed back and forth. This was because of the Kanohi, which were meant to obstruct the view to their mouths.

Same concept with the G2 animations. The eyes flash to indicate speech since the mouths are not visible. Since all the characters are voiced by the same person, and their mouths aren't seen to move, how else to they indicate which character is speaking? Simple: by using the next most expressive part of any being--their eyes.

Also, I fail to see how "they all have that design, so it must be a speaker" makes any sense. Ever heard of spandex? Could just as easily be something like this:

Is it not possible for them to be organic/mostly-organic beings with some sort of breathable clothing beneath their armor?

Oh, yes, very possible. I just like the idea of them being slightly mechanical. I declared the idea my personal headcanon, after all. Feel free to disregard it until proof either one way or the other comes up.

Say what now?

Species of grasshopper receive sound on the lower leg, if the fan theory about the speakers is true, then they Kopaka has reverse grasshopper legs.

Speakers broadcast sound. If Kopaka had 'grasshopper legs', they'd be microphones.

I agree that the "speaker/microphone" theory doesn't make a lot of sense. Even if you do assume that the Toa are 100% mechanical this time around, the details in question seem to resemble heat vents like on a computer or car, rather than any sort of acoustic components. That would make a lot more sense as far as their positioning on the torsos of the figures is concerned, as well as explaining why the non-deaf, non-mute Protectors lack any such features.

Oh, yes, very possible. I just like the idea of them being slightly mechanical. I declared the idea my personal headcanon, after all. Feel free to disregard it until proof either one way or the other comes up.

Say what now?

Species of grasshopper receive sound on the lower leg, if the fan theory about the speakers is true, then they Kopaka has reverse grasshopper legs.

Speakers broadcast sound. If Kopaka had 'grasshopper legs', they'd be microphones.

That's what I said, he has REVERSE grasshopper legs.

• Upvote 1

Well, maybe you don't...

I mean, not in average conversation. If I start bleeding, I'll acknowledge it. If I pull a muscle, I'll take note of the pain. Those are specific situations where my biology relates directly to my well-being and my senses. But it wouldn't make any sense for Tahu, upon awakening on Okoto, to take an inventory of all his organs and armor or describe himself as "biomechanical", because to him, that's all he's ever known. There really hasn't been a single point in the story so far where it would be necessary or even make any sense to drop that kind of knowledge, so the fact that it's been left ambiguous up to this point really shouldn't surprise anyone.

I definitely agree with this. There's not much detail given in the new story yet, and none of it has been of enough relation to the biological processes of the characters for those to be relevant or discussed yet. A lot of people do seem eager to know exactly what the Gen 2 characters are made of (other than plastic :P), and that makes sense given the details known in Gen 1, but it definitely shouldn't be shoehorned in at moments where it doesn't make sense.

Presumably we'll learn in due time anyway, and hopefully in an appropriate story moment instead of an info-dump like Greg's unceremonious "character X is comprised of Y percent of this material."

~B~

• Upvote 3

Well, maybe you don't...

I definitely agree with this. There's not much detail given in the new story yet, and none of it has been of enough relation to the biological processes of the characters for those to be relevant or discussed yet. A lot of people do seem eager to know exactly what the Gen 2 characters are made of (other than plastic :P), and that makes sense given the details known in Gen 1, but it definitely shouldn't be shoehorned in at moments where it doesn't make sense.

Presumably we'll learn in due time anyway, and hopefully in an appropriate story moment instead of an info-dump like Greg's unceremonious "character X is comprised of Y percent of this material."

~B~

Even if it is told outside the story, it can be something like explaining the (inevitable) transformation. The story could be 'they transformed' and the devs later say 'they could transform because they're x'.

I dunno about the speaking part. I find it more likely that they're ventilation openings for regulating body temperature or something like that. After all, the head pieces do have clearly defined mouths on them.

This is what I thought.

cringe

• 2 weeks later...

I always assumed that the grating/mesh on the Okotoa were there for airflow, much like a computer fan or fans on a complex machine. I can imagine the machine parts inside whirring whenever I look at those silver little rectangles.

The speakers idea seems a bit silly considering they have mouths and turn their heads (and not their bodies) when they speak (to project their voice towards their team).

• Upvote 6

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey