Official Recent Musical Purchases Thread

kongutohunga

Bilateral by Leprous

Fjelltronen by Wongraven

Oh, My Regrets by Peccatum

Childhood's End by Ulver

A Bit o' This & That by Emilie Autumn

4 O'Clock by Emilie Autumn

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun & Bohemian Rhapsody (Limited Edition) by Emilie Autumn

Songs About Running Away by The Lost Patrol

Plains of Oblivion by Jeff Loomis

Devils in My Details by ohGr

An Epiphone SG Special electric guitar (in black, of course)

...I should probably cut down on buying music a bit now.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

the FYE in my local mall, where I get probably the majority of my music, is "downgrading" and combining into some kind of Frankenstein's Monster three-in-one store with Hot Topic and Spencer's, and as a result they have a ton of stuff on clearance for half off in order to make room. saw a lot I wanted to get but due to budget constraints I could only afford a couple things, so I picked up the deluxe edition of Circle by Amorphis and the deluxe edition of Sonic Syndicate's self-titled. the latter was kind of a whim purchase, I'm generally not a fan of the band but it was cheap and has Björn Strid, so whatever.

edit: went back to FYE and picked up Runes by Bury Tomorrow from the clearance section for 60% off

edit 2: ordered Only Inhuman by Sonic Syndicate, because if I'm going to own anything of theirs I may as well get the album I liked back in the day

Edited by Ryuujin

edit 2: ordered Only Inhuman by Sonic Syndicate, because if I'm going to own anything of theirs I may as well get the album I liked back in the day

What are your thoughts of that album? I only have a few tracks that I highly enjoy about 5 of the songs and I currently don't remember half of the album.

The recents (recent as in April til now). Through Our Darkest Days- Mercenary (2013), Amaranthe, Special Edition- Amaranthe (2011), The Dream- In This Moment (2008), The Nemesis Construct- Emergency Gate (2010), Disciple- Disciple (2005), and Haven- Kamelot (2015).

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

What are your thoughts of that album? I only have a few tracks that I highly enjoy about 5 of the songs and I currently don't remember half of the album.

it's kind of a guilty pleasure for me personally. it's inoffensive, catchy pop-metal(core) with some watered-down melodeath elements and I'm a bit of a sucker for that kind of thing. plus there's a bit of a nostalgia factor behind it, since it was one of the albums I checked out when I first started getting into metal nearly six years ago.

their debut Eden Fire is probably objectively their best (at least, that seems to be the general consensus), but it's the sheer catchiness of Only Inhuman that pushes it ahead for me. either way, it's miles better than the even-more-watered-down Love and Other Disasters or the ear-bleedingly god-awful abomination of so-called "music" that was We Rule the Night. their self-titled new one, surprisingly, is probably my second favorite thing they've released, if a term like "favorite" could be applied to a band like this.

I've been meaning to check out The Unguided. I know it's got most of the dudes from Sonic Syndicate's early lineup, I know everything I've heard has sounded nearly identical to early Sonic Syndicate, and I keep seeing people say that they sound like a better version of Sonic Syndicate so it's probably something I'd enjoy. 

Edited by Ryuujin

it's kind of a guilty pleasure for me personally. it's inoffensive, catchy pop-metal(core) with some watered-down melodeath elements and I'm a bit of a sucker for that kind of thing. plus there's a bit of a nostalgia factor behind it, since it was one of the albums I checked out when I first started getting into metal nearly six years ago.

their debut Eden Fire is probably objectively their best (at least, that seems to be the general consensus), but it's the sheer catchiness of Only Inhuman that pushes it ahead for me. either way, it's miles better than the even-more-watered-down Love and Other Disasters or the ear-bleedingly god-awful abomination of so-called "music" that was We Rule the Night. their self-titled new one, surprisingly, is probably my second favorite thing they've released, if a term like "favorite" could be applied to a band like this.

I've been meaning to check out The Unguided. I know it's got most of the dudes from Sonic Syndicate's early lineup, I know everything I've heard has sounded nearly identical to early Sonic Syndicate, and I keep seeing people say that they sound like a better version of Sonic Syndicate so it's probably something I'd enjoy. 

The Unguided fix everything that was wrong with Sonic Syndicate. The music has more metal and less core in it by having little to no breakdowns and having not only guitar solos, but ridiculously GOOD solos (just check out the song Blodbad). They're also far more metal in terms of pushing the sound rather than "staying safe" or "watering down." There are far more growled vocals and the cleans sound more aggressive and less clean. I'm anticipating purchasing their upcoming album needless to say.

As far as Sonic Syndicate goes, I'm glad you like the new album. I like it, but it sounds like most of the metalcore I listen to from other groups while Only Inhuman and even Love and Other Disasters had a slightly different flavor of the genre, especially when compared to Killswitch Engage, Trivium, and others like them.

But if you want some Unguided songs to look up, definitely check out Blodbad, Betrayer of the Code*, Inherit the Earth, Pathfinder, and Eye of the Thylacine*

The * denotes that they have music videos. Essentially, The Unguided still have a similar sound to Sonic Syndicate, but their differences push them to being grouped with the likes of Amaranthe and Bloodstain Child (mainly the Epsilon album). I'm probably just bad at describing what I hear, but they just have a tighter, heavier, more metal sound than Sonic Syndicate has had since Eden Fire.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

saw that "Sweet Demise", the deluxe edition bonus track for The Panic Broadcast by Soilwork, was finally made available on AmazonMP3. I've been wanting to get ahold of that for a couple years now, ever since I (stupidly) passed on the opportunity to get the deluxe version of the album and bought the standard version instead. I've periodically checked Amazon for it ever since, but they never had it until now. needless to say, I bought it. glad to finally have it, it's an excellent track.

Ordered a copy of Dying for the World by W.A.S.P.

Usually their albums are expensive and hard to get here for whatever reason, but I noticed this one for £5 straight from Amazon and quickly grabbed the last one they had in stock.

Edit: Also picked up Frozen Niagara Falls by Prurient.

Edited by Emilie Autumn

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

got a bunch of new albums the past little while so I'll see if I can remember them all

Noctourniquet - The Mars Volta
Amputechture - The Mars Volta
Systematic Chaos - Dream Theater
Aphotic - Novembers Doom
For Lies I Sire - My Dying Bride
Endless Forms Most Beautiful - Nightwish
Redeemer (Retail Edition) - Machinae Supremacy
Hand. Cannot. Erase. - Steven Wilson
Second World - The Foreshadowing
Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light - Woods Of Ypres (clear vinyl, limited to 100)
Oxygene - Jean Michel Jarre (vinyl)

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

bought Heck Frost by The Unguided and ordered In Requiem by Paradise Lost

The Unguided's H. Frost is quite good. Hope you enjoy it! :D

bought Fragile Immortality by The Unguided

Fragile Immortality isn't bad, but aside from a couple songs, I find H.F. more enjoyable.

I didn't buy any music, but I did buy a new speaker system. I'm sharing this information because it's a fairly priced system and the sound quality is indescribable. The speakers are so crystal clear that it sounds like the band/artist is in the room performing the song just for me. It sounds natural and just gives life and great acoustics to whatever song I have on. The system you ask? Arion Legacy's Deep Sonar 750 (a.k.a. The Bone Crushing Bass Speaker System). If you have the money to spend on it, you will not be sorry.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Fragile Immortality isn't bad, but aside from a couple songs, I find H.F. more enjoyable.

pretty much my feelings on it. both albums are great, but Frost definitely has the edge. definitely interested to see how their next album compares, and also to see if they'll have another guest vocalist on it. it'll be hard to match Peter Tägtgren on Frost and Hansi Kürsch on Immortality.

pretty much my feelings on it. both albums are great, but Frost definitely has the edge. definitely interested to see how their next album compares, and also to see if they'll have another guest vocalist on it. it'll be hard to match Peter Tägtgren on Frost and Hansi Kürsch on Immortality.

What are your favorite songs from F.I.? And do you just have the regular H.F. album or the Pandora's Box edition?

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

What are your favorite songs from F.I.? And do you just have the regular H.F. album or the Pandora's Box edition?

"Inception", "Defector DCXVI", "Carnal Genesis", "Singularity", and the bonus track "Deathwalker" are probably my favorites currently.

I bought the standard edition of Frost, and both of them I bought digitally. their CDs aren't available near me and ordering them was a bit above my budget.

"Inception", "Defector DCXVI", "Carnal Genesis", "Singularity", and the bonus track "Deathwalker" are probably my favorites currently.

I bought the standard edition of Frost, and both of them I bought digitally. their CDs aren't available near me and ordering them was a bit above my budget.

Understandable. Hansi's recording of Deathwalker is undeniably great, but I do like the original recording (it's a bonus track on the Pandora's box edition and a single download) a little bit better. Singularity, Blodbad & Eye of the Thylacine are my favorites.

On another note, is 11 Dreams by Mercenary worth getting? I'm thinking about picking up another Mercenary album, but not sure which on yet...

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

On another note, is 11 Dreams by Mercenary worth getting? I'm thinking about picking up another Mercenary album, but not sure which on yet...

definitely worth getting. it's probably my third favorite of their albums.

edit: ordered At the Edge of Time by Blind Guardian

Edited by Scythey
  • Upvote 1

Impulse-bought Haven by Kamelot.

• Upvote 1

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

Impulse-bought Haven by Kamelot.

The first half of it is good overall. I haven't listened to the full thing yet.

It's decent. First album of theirs I've liked at all, Tommy sings a little more like he does in Seventh Wonder (who are still by far the better band imo) so it sounds slightly more unique than the last album.

E8c8QpP.jpg

It's decent. First album of theirs I've liked at all, Tommy sings a little more like he does in Seventh Wonder (who are still by far the better band imo) so it sounds slightly more unique than the last album.

I don't doubt that at all. I think Tommy is a good singer and a good fit for Kamelot, but I do miss Roy Khan. I have a rather unpopular opinion, but I though Poetry for the Poisoned was one of their crowning achievements and then Roy left  :(

One of my CD's from my previous order arrived today: Distant is the Sun by Vanishing Point. Very excited to listen to it!  :D

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

So I think I already posted about this when I ordered it, but it finally arrived today (I ordered it first in January, and after many order cancellations, amazon's inability to acquire it, and the thing taking six weeks to ship only to be told it was returned to the store for no reason it finally showed up.)

However it is a thing of beauty so I think it was worth it. Here's the limited-to-100 vinyl pressing of Canadian doom metal band Woods Of Ypres' 5th and last album Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light!

11150471_10205727299895628_4300842034782

probably the best non-Rush album to come out of my country ever.

Edited by The Xinlo Of This Story
  • Upvote 1

E8c8QpP.jpg

Enki by Melechesh, and The Living Infinite by Soilwork.

niiiiiiiiiice

haven't bought anything since the last time I posted but I plan on buying Cold Inferno by Disarmonia Mundi, End vs. Beginning by Rise to Fall, and probably Black Bride by Gyze as soon as they're released on AmazonMP3 at midnight June 9. stoked for that

Brave New World's an excellent album. All the newer maiden albums are great.

I ordered My Dying Bride's A Line Of Deathless Kings on vinyl, so there's another favourite album down.

• Upvote 1

E8c8QpP.jpg