The Most Unloved Thing In all of Bionicle

fishers64

This topic is no place for such discussion; in fact, there really isn't a place on BZPower as a whole for it as well. Toa Imrukii, I recognize your strong feelings on the matter, but continuing to start and engage in this sort of commentary is not the way to deal with them. It's not fair to anyone trying to participate in this thread.

Please stay on the topic at hand, everyone.

• Upvote 4

"Perhaps not so much think the same, it kinda is like that on their boards, but the thinking the same part is definately showing through."

Really? Where? Because I don't see it anywhere. Everyone there thinks different. Some people like Skull Scorpio (the set TTV has been the harshest on), some prefer other reviewers to LJ, etc. yet they don't say anything about that.

OOH

Yet another set I like that no one else does. He doesn't deserve the hate he gets. He's pretty cool.

I don't mind him, TBH. Heck, IMO he's better than Ekimu vs Kulta (gets booed off of the stage).

This topic is no place for such discussion; in fact, there really isn't a place on BZPower as a whole for it as well. Toa Imrukii, I recognize your strong feelings on the matter, but continuing to start and engage in this sort of commentary is not the way to deal with them. It's not fair to anyone trying to participate in this thread.

Please stay on the topic at hand, everyone.

My apologies.

Also, I thought you went inactive.

I would say that Meso and Eljay both like Scorpio, but then wind would get mad at me.

Oh wait.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I post a joke for those who would get it and whatever that was happens. Wow. XD

But naw, being serious I'd say the most unloved thing in all of BIONICLE has to be Hewkii Mahri (sorry Hewkii Mahri fans). He's ugly. I hate him. He's my least favorite set and I've been happy to see others loathe him just as much as I do! Behind him would probably be the Kraata. They're even more useless than the Krana. :P

Edited by Tarvaxx

I forget who mentioned it, but they had a point: the fact that 2009 and 2010 were kinda churned out in a rush because the story team knew in 2008 that BIONICLE was ending in 2 years.

The masculine female Toa are pretty hated too, as I and someone else mentioned earlier. Hahli Inika had a mustache, and Gali Mistika is loathed by a lot of people.

There seems to be a lot of things that people hate in this topic. Let's try for a monstrosity so shunned, so forgotten, put so far into the corner that it cannot receive love: minifigure Inika Hewkii.

bio007.jpg

Don't look into the eyes.

Why not the Barraki minifigs? Pridak was a recolor of Takadox, Ehlek was a recolor of Kalmah, Carapar didn't even have one, Takadox's design wasn't even consistent between playsets (he had a Takadox head in one set and a recolored Mantax head in another), and the simple fact that the Barraki's bodily stuctures varied so greatly that making standard minifigs of them didn't make sense in the first place.

• Upvote 2

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

There seems to be a lot of things that people hate in this topic. Let's try for a monstrosity so shunned, so forgotten, put so far into the corner that it cannot receive love: minifigure Inika Hewkii.

bio007.jpg

That... that mouth,

he looks like a reject rock monster prototype, how have i never noticed this horror before?

I... I say we put it back where it came from, and agree to never bring it up again. :|

• Upvote 3

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

bio007.jpg

That... that mouth,

he looks like a reject rock monster prototype, how have i never noticed this horror before?

I... I say we put it back where it came from, and agree to never bring it up again. :|

Your life was happier before you saw it. You're lucky that there aren't any---- oops.

bio008.jpg

Rock Monster II

bio005.jpg

Flatface

bio012.jpg

Poorly Photoshopped eyes

bio009.jpg

Angry cow

bio006.jpg

Mellow hippie

Edited by Bonkle
  • Upvote 5

I'm talking about the canister sets.

The canister sets lacked variation, there were only two new feet molds introduced with the Piraka, their legs were all the same, the torsos were all the same, their left arms sucked and the rubbery spines would limit posability.

Edited by Lewa the Soaring Champion
  • Upvote 1

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

The canister sets lacked variation, there were only two new feet molds introduced with the Piraka, their legs were all the same, the torsos were all the same, their left arms sucked and the rubbery spines would limit posability.

THANK YOU! Ugh, I absolutely despise the Piraka sets, they're just so, ugh.

What's worse is that it took me ages to figure out who was who.

wait what? the piraka had exactly one more foot mould than was expected of canster waves, and two more metallic colors than were expected of cansiter waves.

their legs and torsos being all the same is true for every canister set before them bar the Visorak*. ?:

*the visorak being the first canister sets to vary legs majorly as well as "arms".

• Upvote 4

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Eh, I kinda liked the Piraka. But that may be because I like the Skakdi in the story, but I don't really know. The canister sets were good. I didn't mind, but my brother had Vezok, and he was cool to me.

That always bugged me how the Barraki minifigs were so inaccurate. Every time I see that, it drives me nuts. I'm a very specific person ^_^

I'm currently in the process of rewriting G2. PM me if interested.

Feel free to follow the blog! (https://spiritofokoto.tumblr.com/)

Eh, I kinda liked the Piraka. But that may be because I like the Skakdi in the story, but I don't really know. The canister sets were good. I didn't mind, but my brother had Vezok, and he was cool to me.

That always bugged me how the Barraki minifigs were so inaccurate. Every time I see that, it drives me nuts. I'm a very specific person ^_^

There has to be a reason for that. There has to. Lego just didn't accidentally make Nuparu shaped like Hahli, Jaller shaped like Hewkii, and Pridak shaped like Takadox. 

If the reason for those minifigures being messed up was ever disclosed by Lego, I sure want to know why. 

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

There has to be a reason for that. There has to. Lego just didn't accidentally make Nuparu shaped like Hahli, Jaller shaped like Hewkii, and Pridak shaped like Takadox. 

If the reason for those minifigures being messed up was ever disclosed by Lego, I sure want to know why. 

Probably just that they didn't have a big enough budget for twelve new head molds? It doesn't seem like a huge mystery to me. Bear in mind that the 2007 playsets were the last year of Bionicle playsets, so I'm guessing the 2006 playsets sold well, but not well enough to justify the same budget for new molds in 2007.

• Upvote 2

The Bohrok-Kal saga in general. I just wish there was ANY kind of official explanation as to why the Nuva symbols/cube existed (outside of their sole purpose as a convenient plot device, of course.) On top of that, the Kal were practically shameless clones of sets from the year before. 

I strongly disagree, The Bohrok where GREAT sets, and the fact that we got them 2 fold is great! Not only that, and what about those silver pieces? If those weren't ever made BIONICLE in it's later years (set wise) most likely would have been COMPLETELY different!!

You could do so much with them! Unlike the other carbon copy sets that came later! (excluding the Toa Metru, as that they where the best mix of Gears, and Posability in G1)

Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

The Bohrok-Kal saga in general. I just wish there was ANY kind of official explanation as to why the Nuva symbols/cube existed (outside of their sole purpose as a convenient plot device, of course.) On top of that, the Kal were practically shameless clones of sets from the year before. 

I strongly disagree, The Bohrok where GREAT sets, and the fact that we got them 2 fold is great! Not only that, and what about those silver pieces? If those weren't ever made BIONICLE in it's later years (set wise) most likely would have been COMPLETELY different!!

You could do so much with them! Unlike the other carbon copy sets that came later! (excluding the Toa Metru, as that they where the best mix of Gears, and Posability in G1)

Eh, I disagree. The bohrok were really nice and all, but getting them for a SECOND TIME was a bit much. Ooooh recolers and new weapon thing molds... exciting... 

I will say that I loved the Piraka, mind you that during this time I didn't have the budget to get them all anyway so clone sets never bothered me. Of course the 2008 Makuta were just as good, at least the Phatoka ones were. 

Probably just that they didn't have a big enough budget for twelve new head molds? It doesn't seem like a huge mystery to me. Bear in mind that the 2007 playsets were the last year of Bionicle playsets, so I'm guessing the 2006 playsets sold well, but not well enough to justify the same budget for new molds in 2007.

But Nuparu received a head mold, and it was never used for him. Just for Kongu and Matoro.

But Nuparu received a head mold, and it was never used for him. Just for Kongu and Matoro.

WAH....  :bigeek:

toa_imrukii_quits.jpg

• Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Which part of the fandom is worse? The fans on BZPower or the fans on TTV?

The fans on BZPower definitely are the worst part.

Actually, I'd argue that the fans on YouTube or 4chan are the worst—but then again, you could say that about just about any fandom.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It makes me sad that most people hate my beloved Bohrok-Kal. But they got me into Bionicle so I'm biased. Still think that, if they'd been released as Matoran-sized sets in a later year, they would have sold fine, but being released straight after the Bohrok killed them.

But yeah, I think it's universally broken parts. I have so many pieces from 2006-2010 that are broken, compared to <2005 parts. The new system is very sturdy, as much as hard core fans probably dislike it.

My 4300th post? Nuhvok-Kal NOOOOOOOOOO!

Edited by Phovos
  • Upvote 1

It makes me sad that most people hate my beloved Bohrok-Kal. But they got me into Bionicle so I'm biased. Still think that, if they'd been released as Matoran-sized sets in a later year, they would have sold fine, but being released straight after the Bohrok killed them.

Well, it only really made sense to release them after the Bohrok, since the point of them was to capitalize on the popularity of the Bohrok and also to get more use out of what were still current molds. Releasing them later on would likely have meant a greater risk (bringing back molds that were no longer being used in other current sets) for less reward (they would have had to generate their own hype instead of riding on the coattails of the already trendy Bohrok sets).

Also, Matoran-sized sets never really became as expensive as Bohrok or Bohrok-Kal ($8 apiece) until the 2010 Bionicle Stars. Matoran sets remained $5 or lower until 2008. And considering that part of the reason for those rising prices was inflation, releasing the Bohrok-Kal in 2008 or 2010 would mean raising their price from eight dollars (the original 2003 price) to nine dollars or higher. So it would be even further from the then-current small set prices — waiting for small set prices to "catch up" to Bohrok prices would not be an option.

Believe me, I'm not shooting holes in your suggestion for the fun of it! I can tell you've thought quite a bit about this, and understandably so since the Bohrok-Kal are so near and dear to your heart. But even though the short time between the release of the Bohrok and Bohrok-Kal is part of why they're controversial, they were definitely still products of their time. I don't know if there is any realistic scenario in which they might have been received better, other than being released in place of the original Bohrok.