The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Survival of the Richest is a misleading name primarily because riches, while handy, aren't as much a deciding factor. You can be a poor communist insurgency and still wreck tons of havoc, you just have to strategically use what you've got. Which isn't much.

Edited by Void Prophet Alex Humva

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Dragging politics into a topic about RPGs. Classy.Anyways, here's a brief tech review for the To Be Named Space Crime Business RPG that I gave Rover a bit ago. It doesn't cover everything, but it covers a few topics.

Well, for starters, we still have yet to crack the human brain. We have a greater understanding of it, brain surgery tends to be more reliable, but you don't see brain uploading or neurologists having a complete road map to it. A lot of it is still shrouded in a good deal of mystery. Computers peaked out a while ago, electronic computers a few decades after the present day and became obsolete, then photonics peaked out sometime after that. Quantum and chemical computers are seen, though generally much more expensive and used in specific fields requiring their unique computing abilities. Think data storage that lets you fit a zottabyte in your hand and masonry brick sized processors that can do several triple-precision exaflops.Medical science has advanced of course. Cancer is curable because why not, we're in the future, and almost all Terran diseases have cures. Unfortunately xenodisease is a problem; the very bacteria and microbes that allowed for the colonization of many worlds ended up compatible, with some flukes and some nastiness, to humans and our animals. These guys are slowly and surely being eradicated or cures being made; the Inner Worlds are pretty good now, but the Outer Worlds tend to have the worst of the lot, a reason why they aren't as colonized.Cybernetics is kinda big but not as much as someone like Vahki might hope for. Cybernetics can grant you amazing strength, but generally speaking people only get them when they need them, possibly for religious reasons. This is of course only generally speaking; many people still get augmented for the fun of it, so you can find plenty augmented citizens in the Inner and Outer Worlds. You don't have many brain augments due to the aforementioned still-mysterious-brain-problem, so you primarily have prosthetic limbs and artificial organs. Limited forms of neuro-augmention are in existence but expensive and risky.Human genetic engineering is largely banned in the Inner Worlds, outside of necessary medical procedures. This is primarily because of a fear of super-humans and a prior resurgence of eugenics, which said that humanity had to better itself and didn't do it in the nicest way possible. It left a bit of a sour taste in everyone's mouth about genetically modifying the human race, so you have that mentality in the Inner Worlds. In the Outer Worlds its still technically banned, but like the rest of the laws it isn't ever particularly enforced. Human genetic manipulation is still frowned upon but possible if your wallet is thick enough, with some forms of very limited and very dangerous real time manipulation. The primary market rests in genetically engineered animals; genetically engineered dogs for instance are commonly found for sale on the black market, designed and bred specifically for boarding warfare. With the strength to rip a man in two and the agility to roam a space ship with no gravity, they're fearsome enemies.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Bah. I understand the need for game mechanics trumping reality here. Hardly be fun if everyone was a glorious transhuman immortal cyborg.Because if we survive the next few centuries, that's what's coming. If our advancement slows to a crawl I mean. We might have it by 20-you know what just assume I went on a tangent here. :POverall, it looks good. Expect me to try to push the boundaries of cybernetics as much as my communist cultists can. I'll fund all of this by steali-erm, liberating funds from the capitalist oppressor. :P

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Eh, my opinion on predicting the future is "well, better to live and see it than sit around speculating." I mean, if you look at what they thought we'd have in the 1900s we laugh at it today. You can say "oh well they were a silly people, we're more enlightened." Eh, we're more intelligent, but mark my words, in 2112, they will look back at this time and go "oh well they were a silly people, we're more enlightened."TL;DR predicting the future based on the present will get proportionally more wacky the further you try to predict it. I personally think that by the time this RPG takes place we're be ascended god energy balls but hey that's just my take on it.

voidstars.png

So, I'm curious, how do you see an insurgency working in this game? Would I have to pay for mercs or could I enlist and train a dedicated core of fana-erm, loyal and glorious freedom fighters and just pay for food, ammo and other such things?

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Since I'm basically specifically making mechanics for individual people, you probably would pay for food and the like if they're fanatics. Keep in mind though that, speaking historically, fanatics tend to be lower-skilled than other troop options. It's not to say you can't have an intelligent fanatic, it's just that most fanatics are working for you because they don't have a better place to be. You'll find people who are intelligent and truly committed to your cause, and then you'll find people who are fanatically loyal to you because you got them at the right time.Actually taking over governments will be a bit wonky but we'll climb that mountain when we get there. I think some crime lords will have a thing or two to say about you usurping the government they've so carefully bribed and built up to work for them though. Farmers probably won't be happy about you ruining their business either, and in the Outer Worlds, farmers are a **** serious threat.

voidstars.png

Indeed. Which is why I'm avoiding a fair fight like I owe it money. If I end up in a fight where I outnumber the enemy only by a two to one margin, I will consider it a failure. Commando actions and lopsided ambushes are the order of the day here.

TL;DR predicting the future based on the present will get proportionally more wacky the further you try to predict it. I personally think that by the time this RPG takes place we're be ascended god energy balls but hey that's just my take on it.
That's not a prediction, that's drugs.Anyway, don't you think 'the Third Colonial Dispute' is kind of a lame name for a war?

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I freely admit that was rushed and awful. Hopefully I can get something slightly more coherent and epic on the weekend or something.

voidstars.png

An upside to fanatics: I can blow up my ships if someone has almost taken them over. For most corporations employee loyalty doesn't go nearly that far.

Most wars in real life have rather captain obvious names anyway (See: the Vietnam War, the Hundred Years War etc.) So I don't see any real problem with "Third Colonial dispute". Although the "Dispute" part sounds like the attempt of some Orwellian space-government to downplay the horrors of it or somesuch.^ Not if you only employ robots programmed to have complete loyalty to you. :P

Edited by Javert

Yeah, it's the dispute bit that's especially lame. Unless the government is psychotic, it sounds like harsh words were exchanged and then they went to court.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

The Third Colonial War could work. I like the Orwellian down-playing thing but yeah, dispute seems a bit underwhelming.Robots are moderately priced. A good combat model will run you a few thousand, an intelligent companion, maybe ten thousand. They are quite hackable, so you'd want to invest a good deal in security, but they can be rather handy when you're short on manpower. That and there's nothing quite like a spiderbot tearing a man limb from limb and then machine gunning a few more.

voidstars.png

*Takes notes*Hm. Since I plan to stick to the shadows as much as I can, I might make use of those bots for certain ops.

Something of a note that people may be misconstruing, despite the Outer Worlds being rampant with crime and piracy there's a surprising amount of law and order. Organized crime syndicates don't like anarchists running around because it gets in the way of them making money. The farmers out in the backwater farm worlds are a mean lot; they're only there because they've survived. Farmers out here are armed with artillery cannons to shoot aero-space fighters out of the sky and a lot of shotguns. The authorities that haven't been bribed are armed to the teeth, and the security divisions that guard public transportation are nasty. Nasty as in equipped with railguns that will, given the proper shot, turn your spaceship into a dust cloud. So criminals run amok, but in that seeming chaos there's still quite a few islands of tranquility.

voidstars.png

....So I can disguise my insurgents as heavily armed farmers? Or a few cells at least.Excellent. Pardon, I need to go try on red berets.

Of course, what that really means is that you have no chance of causing trouble even on an outer world.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Erm, maybe I phrased myself wrong. I'm just trying to say don't walk up to a space cop and thumb your nose at them because you can.You're fully capable of pulling out a shotgun and blasting the space cop. Just do so before he pulls out his shotgun and you're golden. Just because 1920s Chicago was ruled by the mafia doesn't mean that there wasn't still petty crime or high profile murders.

voidstars.png

And now for a public service announcement from the Koth:Due to computer and life shenanigans, Alex probably won't be on BZP for a while. He also will not be able to work on the RPG during this time.This has been a public service announcement from the Koth.

Edited by Kottsu
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

So I'm back forever or for a while, Idunno.I guess this means I'll get back to that whole RPG thing.

voidstars.png

So, can I get a show of hands as to who's interested in the unholy combination space RPG I'm working on, and if you're interested, could you give me what you're thinking about doing? It's kinda important since I'm doing the mechanics as I go, so I need an idea of what I can put into the overarcing game theory and what will need more specific tailoring.You can give me more than one idea, but do try to keep it to three, any more and it feels kinda pointless spending that time and effort on something that isn't likely to appear.

voidstars.png

Sounds fun to me. If I join, I'll probably try to play as something similar to Reavers from Firefly.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Looks like a good cross section so far. Communist cyborgs, a security corp, a vigillente, a transportation business, and just bat**** insane guys that come with the waters. Toss in my Comanche IN SPACE and I think this should be rather fun. Hopefully more will voice their thoughts, these mechanics could really be interesting.

voidstars.png

It's weird because I have some idea of how to run a company, and I'm the one running the group that will steal and pillage to get everything.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

You don't particularly need to know the nitty gritty, as despite a level of sophistication going into the mechanics it should still equal out to "you buy something, it depletes some of your money. Balance your income with your spending and you're good."Really, I expect a lot of barter systems to be going on. Besides the fact that money is carried in physical form (digital money is a complicated hassle in a world without long range FTL comms and hackers so good that unless you're in the Inner Worlds, there's little security can do), something like a horse or a cow out here in the Outer Worlds is still worth a sizable amount of money. Artificial meat is available but generally agreed upon to be inferior to real grazed meat. Besides that, it's still somewhat expensive, so economically lab grown meat isn't _that_ much cheaper than something real because of the sheer amounts of land available in the few green worlds.Point being, you might not even need to manage your bank account that much. It is possible to play as a farmer who trades with horses, or a miner who trades with ores and everything inbetween.

Edited by Void Prophet Alex Humva

voidstars.png

Me, maybe. If i join, i'll be a food company.

War...war never changes.

We crawl, on our knees for you,
under, a sky no longer blue,
we sweat, all day long for you.

But we sow, seeds to see us though,
cause sometimes dreams just don't come true,
we wait, to reap what we are due.

-Rise Against, Re-Education (through Labor)

Might I inquire as to whether or not you'll be in the production business or the packaging and shipping business?

voidstars.png

I'm not sure on that, honestly. maybe both, as that seems like a good idea, but im not sure.

War...war never changes.

We crawl, on our knees for you,
under, a sky no longer blue,
we sweat, all day long for you.

But we sow, seeds to see us though,
cause sometimes dreams just don't come true,
we wait, to reap what we are due.

-Rise Against, Re-Education (through Labor)