• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Photo

Last Book You Read

Literature Prose

• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#401 Offline El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 27-August 08
  • 1,722 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 03 2016 - 12:40 PM

Started reading Augustine of Hippo's Confessions.

killer-mike-elp.jpg

#402 Online Sir Iaredios

Sir Iaredios
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,372 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 07 2016 - 03:18 PM

Started reading Augustine of Hippo's Confessions.

I've always wanted to read his stuff, from historical records to theological discussion. You, my good man, are lucky.

I myself have started reading Neil Gaiman's Sandman Vol. II. I've been on hiatus from it since September of last year.

:i: :a: :r: :e: :m_d: :i: :m_o: :s:   }----|]I||I[|----{     巡山  王子    }----|]I||I[|----{    iaredios_-_aurebresh.jpg

ara_eternal_war_banner.png
A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project (HEAD DEVELOPER) | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  | 
Name Info      History     The English Language     The Turkey Neck      Arthur Curry     Ra's al-Ghul    The Crew Rap    Mikhail Gorbachev 

#403 Offline the mavrick

the mavrick
  • Members
  • Toa

• 03-November 15
  • 105 posts

Posted Jan 08 2016 - 09:10 AM

Life, the Universe, and Everything 

Douglass Adams

gorillaz1.jpg

The Mavrick thanks to Starwars ep. 7 for the avatar pic

#404 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Emerging Stone Champion

• 22-October 11
  • 1,404 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 08 2016 - 09:09 PM

Read four Sherlock stories, a few Ambrose Bierce stories (wanted to read something of his, but didn't think they were that great), and began the Welcome to Night Vale novel. Really good, has very much the same feel as the podcast while still being a different style.

Didn't finish the Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath yet, but I'll get to it once I finish the Night Vale book.

#405 Offline Erasmus Graves

Erasmus Graves
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 15-October 15
  • 208 posts

Posted Jan 20 2016 - 01:08 AM

OK, here goes:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (absolutely first-class novel), The Land Across by Gene Wolfe (the great SF&F author writes a great Kafaesque 21st Century thriller), VALIS by P.K.D. ( a great novel about theology, philosophy, paranoia, metaphysics, madness, drugs, mental illness, pop culture, and it is brilliant, even if it goes over the rails sometimes).

Gilead's Curse by Dan Abnett (the underrated sequel to Gilead's Blood), Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King, Legend by David Gemmell (the legendary *nopunintended* fantasy author's classic first novel. If you haven't read any David Gemmell, go read some, he's great.), The Night Lords Trilogy by Aaron Dembski-Bowden (one of my favourite all-time SF series), Double Eagle by Dan Abnett (high-octane SF aerial combat in the Sabbat Worlds).

Currently reading The True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey (one of the greatest Australian novels ever written) and The Collected Stories of Raymond Chandler.

There. That's all the novels I can remember reading (though doubtless there are some that I've forgotten).

Edited by Erasmus Graves, Jan 20 2016 - 01:10 AM.

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

#406 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Emerging Stone Champion

• 22-October 11
  • 1,404 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 20 2016 - 02:29 PM

Read The Wendigo, Hound of the Baskervilles, halfway through The Sign of the Four, and still reading the Welcome to Night Vale novel.

#407 Offline Erasmus Graves

Erasmus Graves
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 15-October 15
  • 208 posts

Posted Jan 24 2016 - 08:11 AM

Titus Alone by Mervyn Peake. The final novel of the magnificent Gormenghast Trilogy (which I wholeheartedly recommend to everyone I meet) is best appreciated when read a few months after the first and second novels (which are best read consecutively e.g. 10 seconds to a week in between), as to let yourself cool down before entering this most technologically fantastical of the trilogy. Titus Alone is, as China Mieville once said, extremely underrated. People say, Yeah, beautifully written but disjointed, unreadable vastly inferior to Titus Groan and Gormenghast. (Books I and II), attributing this to the fact that Peake's mind was wracked with a horrible disease at the time.

But wait a few months to cool down from the first two, and it becomes truly brilliant. Titus Alone is, admittedly, the strangest of the trio in sheer sense of oddness, but after about twenty-five chapters in (most of them are very short), there is more reason to keep on reading other than the force of Peake's incredible prose. New characters develop considerably and we see some really interesting one-offs, like the sinister Mr Veil and his companion Black Rose. It's quite the page-turner, in fact, and gives a sense of distance and otherness which is appropriate, considering what kind of situation Titus has got himself into.  

However, Titus Alone CANNOT be read without having read the previous two novels. By that I mean that Titus Groan and Gormenghast can comfortably  stand as masterpieces by themselves, but without their supporting presence (backstory, foundations etc.), Titus Alone is a disjointed collection of manically poetic ravings, with a incomplete allegory for concentration camps done by the brief appearance of the factory. I have a feeling that if Peake were wholly well at the time the allegory would have been a major point.

Titus really grows as a character - in Gormenghast he was rather dull and dry compared to Steerpike, Fuschia, Flay, Bellgrove, Barquentine, Prunesquallor & all the others - but he matures and becomes far more interesting and at time incredible in Alone. The novel is an interesting old/future tech hybrid, almost steampunkish but not quite, as well as being far more elegant and tasteful. The comedy of manners elements are stronger than ever here, and there are many good laughs to be had as well. Muzzlehatch & everyone in the Under-River are probably the best characters in the novel - the Under-River section is both haunting and funny at once.

There is not so much a villain or villains in the novel as a presence. A country thronged with bureaucracy and prison camps, the latter "told, not shown" with a spiderstouch of allusion, twisted minds in beautiful bodies, sceptical throngs, and incredible technology in an almost Austenian  or Waughlike world.   

This is a rather long review for the a page entitled sharply and succinctly: "Last Book You Read", but the Gormenghast Trilogy is such a wonderful phenomena that a short comment about but a single one of those books grows into a bit of a baroquely labyrinthine review.

Read The Gormenghast Trilogy before you die. Put it up there with Lord of the Rings. Titus Alone is a lot better than many say it is. Remember that.

Still on Collected Stories and Kelly Gang. Also reading Wake in Fright by Kenneth Cook. Another Great Australian Novel and the original and best realistic outback horror story. Superbly written, disturbingly eerie and haunting.

Edited by Erasmus Graves, Jan 27 2016 - 05:00 AM.

#408 Online Sir Iaredios

Sir Iaredios
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,372 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 25 2016 - 05:32 AM

Picked up 'The Night Atilla Died', by Michael Babcock again. I abandoned it several months ago. It's an enjoyable read so far, but sometimes I feel like the author is just planting plot in-between the lines. He says that philology does that but it is the whole-hearted truth. In short, a diplomat is grouped up with a small posse, one member was supposedly an assassin that stealthy killed Atilla while engagin in a mission of peace with the main diplomat Priscus (Atilla died shortly after the diplomat and posse left). Some sort of an old Roman conspiracy to kill the 'scourge of God' headed by Emperor Theodosius II. I'll have to read it all to say if I believe the author or not.

I found humor to how, according to every other historian, Atilla died by choking on his own blood while having a nosebleed while sleeping, all on his wedding night. The man drank too much (hardcore party i guess) and it popped a blood vessel, or something like that. I'm kind of hoping it stays that way, it's a great conversation piece and adds dark humor to history.

:i: :a: :r: :e: :m_d: :i: :m_o: :s:   }----|]I||I[|----{     巡山  王子    }----|]I||I[|----{    iaredios_-_aurebresh.jpg

ara_eternal_war_banner.png
A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project (HEAD DEVELOPER) | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  | 
Name Info      History     The English Language     The Turkey Neck      Arthur Curry     Ra's al-Ghul    The Crew Rap    Mikhail Gorbachev 

#409 Offline El-P

El-P
  • Members

• 27-August 08
  • 1,722 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 02 2016 - 06:06 PM

I suspended Confessions of Augustine to read Lovecraft's The color out of space and The Dunwich horror. I was mildly entertained, Lovecraft can surely be boring and repetitive at times. Some say that The Dunwich horror is one of the best short stories by Providence man. I still think nothing tops The shadow over Innsmouth.

Edited by El-P, Feb 02 2016 - 06:08 PM.

killer-mike-elp.jpg

#410 Offline Erasmus Graves

Erasmus Graves
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 15-October 15
  • 208 posts

Posted Feb 04 2016 - 01:54 AM

Finished off Kelly Gang. Loved it.

Keeping up with my Australiana vibe, I'm currently reading Cloudstreet. It's easier reading than True History of the Kelly Gang, but even more addictive  (110 pages fly by in no time). Also reading Ross Poldark by Winston Graham. Extremely addictive as well.

Finished off Wake in Fright. it's haunting and quietly disturbing, but genius through and through.

EDIT: Finished Cloudstreet. Phenomenal stuff. Also reading Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler and Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.

Edited by Erasmus Graves, Feb 10 2016 - 08:36 AM.

#411 Offline randomreviewerbros

randomreviewerbros
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 22-February 13
  • 673 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 11 2016 - 06:39 AM

I personally have not read a full book for a few years, I'm going thru that stage where I don't have enough time to read whilst juggling school and my LEGO building and a job, but I do believe the last full book I read was "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" a few years back.

Could have been "Artemis Fowl and the Atlantis Complex" but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube....domReviewerBros
Gathered friends, listen again, to our legend of the BIONICLE- Turaga Vakama

BIONICLE surrender or run!- The Vahki 2004

A battle in the skies at the core of the universe!- The Final Battle 2008

Even when facing greater threats like the Bohrok Kal, or the dreaded Rahkshi, they never surrendered!- The Toa Nuva 2002/03

Powerful, equipped, ready for any challenge!- The Toa Metru 2004

A mystery to be revealed at BIONICLE.com!- Metru Nui 2004

If Toa Lhikan could not defeat me alone, how could you?- Makuta LoMN

The city of the Great Spirit, my island home refound!- Turaga Vakama LoMN

#412 Offline El-P

El-P
  • Members

• 27-August 08
  • 1,722 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 11 2016 - 07:10 AM

I finished Confessions (despite me not being christian, I found it very deep for the time it was written and decorated here and there with reflections fascinating and true even today) and now I'm into another classic: Ulysses by Joyce. I'm not even a third into it, but it's crazy.

killer-mike-elp.jpg

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users