The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

you say it's average but you say you would give it a 7 which is above averagethat doesn't make senseso has anyone checked out the new version of Eden by TesseracT with their new singer? i'm still iffy on the guy; he's good but i think Dan had more emotion. i'll wait until i hear some material written with him in mind before i make my final judgement though

nhsYE.jpg

I'd give it an 8.5. I'm totally loving it, and while it's not as good as Endgame, I had to let Endgame grow on me before I liked the first half. So yeah... IMO Th1rt3en's a worthy addition to their catalogue.

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

I haven't followed Megadeth in ages, tbh...Sometimes I hear one of their tunes on my favorite radio station and I'm like "Oh yeah, that's what they sound like. Pretty cool."

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

I got the Preorder Bundle of Th1rt3en today (it was waiting over at my other place, since mom changed the mailing address. >< ).Favorite Songs: Never Dead and Black Swan. The others are mostly alright, but "Wrecker", "Deadly Nightshade" and "Fast Lane" are sorta ######... Though this is sorta expected after doing thirteen different albums: You start running dry of ideas after a while.

ace_combat.jpg
"Slyph Squadron, engaging."

Okay, let me rephrase.When one of the biggest metal bands in the world releases a brand-new album, it shouldn't be surprising (or disappointing) that the majority of the discussion the day after its release will be about said album.Unrelated, been listening to the new Insomnium a lot lately. So good.

Edited by Laughin'Man

Okay, let me rephrase.When one of the biggest metal bands in the world releases a brand-new album, it shouldn't be surprising (or disappointing) that the majority of the discussion the day after its release will be about said album.Unrelated, been listening to the new Insomnium a lot lately. So good.

again, it's not that people are talking about it, it's that people aren't talking about anything else.

And the only other album that came out in the last few days was lulu... And we already discussed that.

that's not even true. Uneven Structure, Struc/tures, East Of The Wall, Elitist, Black Tusk, Insomnium, and Iced Earth all released albums recently (like a week or two ago) Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

Uneven Structure's album came out yesterday. we discussed Lulu way before it even came out, it's been available for streaming for a while nowbesides there's still all the stuff that came out over the downtime that wasn't even touched onmy point is i'd enjoy talking about something modern alongside the "dinosaur band of the week" conversations that have been going onLaughin' Man's got it here, i think the past two weeks a good time frame for relevance. it's not like albums disappear after a few days of releaseand i think the decision that it's okay for Thirteen (screw the numbers, they're so stupid) to sound a little stale because it's Megadeth's thirteenth album is ridiculous. there shouldn't be excuses for a album not being good. bands have released tons of albums and still instilled fresh ideas into their sound. Porcupine Tree released their tenth album 2 years ago, and it was unique and didn't sound rehashed in the least bit.

Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

Well I'm sure Dave hasn't run out of ideas at all - but people hated Risk and The World Needs A Hero, two very unique, original albums. All anyone wants is Thrash from Megadeth, and there's only so many ideas one guy can have with that confine. And he does, y'know, do pretty much everything in the band, so he's stretched a bit thin.Besides that I only found one or two songs on the album slightly disappointing. IMO Megadeth hasn't lost anything; they can still pump out good stuff fairly consistently.Also I'm not talking about any of those albums because I don't like any of those artists; sorry.Also also, Dream Theater released one of their best albums over the downtime, and I don't see that being discussed.

xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

Well I'm sure Dave hasn't run out of ideas at all - but people hated Risk and The World Needs A Hero, two very unique, original albums. All anyone wants is Thrash from Megadeth, and there's only so many ideas one guy can have with that confine. And he does, y'know, do pretty much everything in the band, so he's stretched a bit thin.

xinlo-small.gif

originality =/= qualityif i made an album entirely out of sounds a cat makes, it would certainly be original, but would it really be good? no, it probably wouldn't.also they weren't really unique or original. Risk was Dave trying to make a pop album and The World Needs A Hero was Dave trying to reclaim his thrash fans. neither really succeeded in their goals.thrash isn't a very expansive genre, the well's been bled dry for the most part. most of the good stuff is this blackened thrash that's been popping up like Skeletonwitch, which has to take from other genres to really make itself worthwhile. the re-thrash that bands like Warbringer create is so stale and rehashed that it really has no reason to existalso the reason no one's talking about Dream Theater is because they're pretty much the most boring band everdid anyone listen to Dead Throne by The Devil Wears Prada? pretty good stuff right there. Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

Well I'm sure Dave hasn't run out of ideas at all - but people hated Risk and The World Needs A Hero, two very unique, original albums. All anyone wants is Thrash from Megadeth, and there's only so many ideas one guy can have with that confine. And he does, y'know, do pretty much everything in the band, so he's stretched a bit thin.

xinlo-small.gif

originality =/= qualityif i made an album entirely out of sounds a cat makes, it would certainly be original, but would it really be good? no, it probably wouldn't.also they weren't really unique or original. Risk was Dave trying to make a pop album and The World Needs A Hero was Dave trying to reclaim his thrash fans. neither really succeeded in their goals.thrash isn't a very expansive genre, the well's been bled dry for the most part. most of the good stuff is this blackened thrash that's been popping up like Skeletonwitch, which has to take from other genres to really make itself worthwhile. the re-thrash that bands like Warbringer create is so stale and rehashed that it really has no reason to existalso the reason no one's talking about Dream Theater is because they're pretty much the most boring band everdid anyone listen to Dead Throne by The Devil Wears Prada? pretty good stuff right there.

All in your opinion. You say all this as if it's fact. I find DT to be the exact opposite of boring; the most interesting and compelling thing I listen to. And I though Risk was a masterpiece in its own way. I have to listen to it every now and again to refresh me. And I will agree that TWNAH was lacking in quality on a few songs, but many pulled off the sound amazingly.

xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg

All in your opinion. You say all this as if it's fact. I find DT to be the exact opposite of boring; the most interesting and compelling thing I listen to. And I though Risk was a masterpiece in its own way. I have to listen to it every now and again to refresh me. And I will agree that TWNAH was lacking in quality on a few songs, but many pulled off the sound amazingly.xinlo-small.gif

of course it's all my opinion; music is 99% subjective anyway. i don't think i really need to go "in my opinion" after everything, it goes without saying.also Dream Theater has always been "hey gaiz look at us we can play really technical stuff!1!!!!!" but their music has no soul. it's so... ugh.

Idunnololdid you justdid you seriously just call Megadeth unoriginal and then call The Devil Wears Prada goodಠ_ಠ(points for Skeletonwitch though)

yes. i did. their first 2 albums were bad, but by the third they started showing glimmers of hope. the zombie ep is really where they really struck gold. that and dead throne are great metalcore albums.while i'm not saying this is you necessarily, a lot of people have this silly idea that anything -core is automatically awful. i think it clouds their judgement, and prevents them from finding out about great bands. again, not saying this is you but that's one of the reasons tdwp has such a negative stigma. Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

Well there are many who act that way seriously thinking their opinion is all that matters. So even though it should go without saying, it doesn't always.And while I do know what you're talking about (there are some DT songs that are devoid of soul) I think Octavarium, Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, and especially their newest had enough to go around. I was actually shedding manly tears on the last song while listening through A Dramatic Turn Of Events.

xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg

Well there are many who act that way seriously thinking their opinion is all that matters. So even though it should go without saying, it doesn't always.And while I do know what you're talking about (there are some DT songs that are devoid of soul) I think Octavarium, Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, and especially their newest had enough to go around. I was actually shedding manly tears on the last song while listening through A Dramatic Turn Of Events.

xinlo-small.gif

well whatever the case i'm not going to go "imo" after everything. it's just redundant. also i act like my opinion is the only one that matters because it is the only one that matters. i figured that was obvious by now.eh, they really just never hooked me. it's cool that you like them, and obviously they have something worthwhile since lots of people like them but they're just not for me. i just imagine them as this sort of machine. like it can do all these impressive technical feats but when you tell it to try something with emotion it just can't comprehend that. granted in some cases a sort of emotionless, "mechanical" sound can be interesting and cool-sounding, it doesn't seem like that's what DT is going for so it doesn't come off pleasantly.
nhsYE.jpg

yes. i did. their first 2 albums were bad, but by the third they started showing glimmers of hope. the zombie ep is really where they really struck gold. that and dead throne are great metalcore albums.

I'm the complete opposite. I love their first two albums but think their newer stuff isn't as good. All the songs just blend together. Regardless of what you think of their old material, at least each song sounded different.

Has anyone checked out Becoming the Archetype? Anyone who can incorporate a trombone into death metal is simply brilliant....

Regardless of what you think of their old material, at least each song sounded different.

And had very... unique... song titles. I'm sad they didn't do that for Dead Throne.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

I'm the complete opposite. I love their first two albums but think their newer stuff isn't as good. All the songs just blend together. Regardless of what you think of their old material, at least each song sounded different.

i thought the tracks were fairly distinctive. maybe i'm just being a fanboy though

Has anyone checked out Becoming the Archetype? Anyone who can incorporate a trombone into death metal is simply brilliant....And had very... unique... song titles. I'm sad they didn't do that for Dead Throne.

BtA is pretty awesome, no doubt about thati was never a fan of the "funny" song titles. i dunno, it just seemed kind of pointlessin other metal related news, i bought three shirts from a website, they refunded me for 1 for no real reason, and then sent me those plus 2 other shirts. i don't understand why but it's pretty rad. Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

well there's a little variation but for the most part yeah. also Hetfield really isn't on it that much, he probably sings the most on The View. The View is also probably the best song too.

I stopped after Iced Honey. Brandenburg Gate was nearly okay, and this one too, but Lou Reed was the guy that offset it.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

On a lighter note, anyone listened to the new Pianos Become the Teeth record?

never heard of them. genre?

well there's a little variation but for the most part yeah. also Hetfield really isn't on it that much, he probably sings the most on The View. The View is also probably the best song too.

I stopped after Iced Honey. Brandenburg Gate was nearly okay, and this one too, but Lou Reed was the guy that offset it.
Brandenburg Gate's first lyric made me laugh Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

Post-hardcore with heavy metalcore influence. Isn't the new guy in TesseracT the guy from Sky Eats Airplane?

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Post-hardcore with heavy metalcore influence.Isn't the new guy in TesseracT the guy from Sky Eats Airplane?
oh. not too big on post hardcore in general (the popular kind, not stuff like At The Drive In and Fugazi), but i'll check it outand yeah, he is.
nhsYE.jpg

Post-hardcore with heavy metalcore influence.Isn't the new guy in TesseracT the guy from Sky Eats Airplane?
oh. not too big on post hardcore in general (the popular kind, not stuff like At The Drive In and Fugazi), but i'll check it outand yeah, he is.
Trust me, it's definitely not like the scene post-hardcore. It's the most heartbreaking piece of music I've listened to this year.Also, sick. I was pretty bummed when Sky Eats Airplane broke up. I wasn't as much of a fan towards the end, but the self-titled and Everything Perfect on The Wrong Day were legit.

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND