Gaineamh

gaineamhthumb.png

It's been at least three months since I last posted a MOC here, so it's about time. Gaineamh's head is modeled after a World War II era Gas Mask, and Gaineamh itself is a post-apocalyptic mineral sampling machine. That's all I know.As always, click the picture for the gallery, and comments are very much appreciated.

• Upvote 1

O_o that is MINDBLOWING!!! I had to exceed my current post count to comment on this!!! Incredible work! I wouldn't mind hands, with some sort of mineral sampling stuff attached, but this is already too epic for hands. :tohu:

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

Incredible. I like this guy a whole lot, he is just so different and interesting. The mask looks great, especially as the size is quite small. Those shoulders are really nice, too. Both the arms and legs are really, really well done, those feet are very sleek. And, of course, the colours are excellent. 10/10

Edited by Ehlekdude

517px-Clone_Wars_-_Season_5_Trailer_2_-_

The Tohunga heads and bohrok plates work so well here, oh man. It took me several seconds to begin taking apart the build in my mind; everything just flows so well. The colours are very minimal but lend themselves to a strong post-apoc feel, and the gasmask is almost icing on the top.Kudos for another absolutely brilliant creation. I really feel like breaking out my collection again because of this.

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

Amazing! the mask is really reminiscent of a WWII mask, and the arms really look sectional. The arms make me think of Doc ock, and the legs look good, especially the thighs. One question: does it balance well? also, the shoulders seem a little far back, is this intentional?-Bane

Gentlemen, it's time to spread the word. And the word is: Panic

life is not a question of how long we live, but what we do with the life we have

BZRPG profiles

Wow. That's great.I love the gas mask design, and the use of Bohrok Krana holder-things is pretty neat. The nozzle arms and the canisters are truly brilliant designs, especially the way the tube wraps around the canister before connecting. My only qualm is the legs and hips. The hip connection is odd in that it's so wide compared to the waist area, and the tops of the legs are a little too flat.Also, a quick question: What did you photograph this on? It's amazingly smooth and bright white.

Edited by Paleo

eeeee this is very very pretty. c:I love how you improved the mask. It looks stellar now. the torso and hips are likewise magnificent, and the tanks look super cool too.I'l not rally sure how I feel about the "hands". They fit the design, but I don't see what function they could serve for a mineral sampling robot. They do look good though, and are probably not worth changing, but I am a bit curious as to how Gaineamh would use these hands.

cholslegofursig.png

Latest MOC:

Ol' Dusty

What I like most about this MOC is that you've managed to use a rare color, sandy tan, and brilliantly implement what few pieces are made in it. Okay, that mostly applies to the round engine-like things on this guy's shoulders, but hand pieces are always easy to fit onto MOCs. Anyway, I like his bug-eyed gas mask face, as it gives a bizarre and alien aspect to him. The black tubes also flow very well around the sandy tan engine parts, and look like they might be a part of a respiration system, which a post-apocalyptic mineral sampling robot would need. Also, those Tohunga heads work great as his hip pieces, and his Krana-holder chest is impressive too.I'm fine with his spindliness, as that's a hallmark of your MOCing style; you did a good job with his arms and legs, especially his thin boot-like feet. But why does he have only 2 tiny minifig arms for fingers on each . . . er, hand? Those wouldn't be too good at handling rocks to collect, as Chols said.It's always nice to see something new from you. Keep up the good work.~B~

Edited by Ballom

Oh my bricks... this is so awesome robot. It all flows well, indeed. I wonder how did you do that torso and these "arms". And this mask is just... wow.

But why does he have only 2 tiny minifig arms for fingers on each . . . er, hand? Those wouldn't be too good at handling rocks to collect, as Chols said.

Well, I suppose that it isn't collecting rocks, but just samples, it's a sampling machine at all. :P (Hey, these smileies are great :D )Really great job with that one.

Thanks very much for all the replies, chaps.There seems to be a fair bit of confusion regarding the arms. I thought it was obvious that Gaineamh has no hands or fingers, but I guess it isn't. The two tips on the end of each arm are meant to be extracting equipment. It works something like this:gaineamh_arm_tips.jpgSaying 'minerals' was probably misleading, I didn't mean that Gaineamh takes rocks and stuff, Gaineamh would just sample dust and small particles. Maybe liquid too, who knows.

One question: does it balance well? also, the shoulders seem a little far back, is this intentional?

Yeah, it doesn't have any balance problems. As for the "shoulders", yes and no. When I started out with the MOC, I had no intention of the canisters being shoulders. I fully intended for them to be angled at the back of the body like that, so yes, they are meant to be far back, but it wasn't until much later that I decided to attach the arms from there.

But, y'know, it could fit a bit more with the name. It doesn't look like it should really be called 'sand'.

The name is purely because of the color. I call that shade of brown 'sand brown'.

My only qualm is the legs and hips. The hip connection is odd in that it's so wide compared to the waist area, and the tops of the legs are a little too flat.

Yeah, the hips are very wide in comparison to the midsection, but I like them like that as they go well with the width of the shoulders/canisters. I agree the tops of the legs are flat, but I did route the tubes there for a reason - they soften the tops, and I'm actually okay with how they look once the tubes are there.

Also, a quick question: What did you photograph this on? It's amazingly smooth and bright white.

Paper. I did turn the exposure settings on my camera up fully though, and then did some slight contrast editing once the pictures were uploaded.

Wow, this is really interesting and different from most of the other MOCs posted here. I really like the placement of the tubes on it, and I also like the spindly legs. The usage of the Toa Mata arm (don't know the correct term for it) in the waist was pretty clever. I think the best part of it is probably the gas mask head. I've tried to make gas masks before, but they never turn out well, however this one looks very accurate to a real one. It helps to give the MOC the post-apocalyptic theme. I don't see anything wrong with this MOC, really, other than maybe the wide waists. Good job.

The+Edge-Banderbear.jpg bug_animated.gifStarhawk-PlayStation-3-b-300x300.jpg

"Wuh?"

Beautiful, those colors aren't used enough. Very nice, sleek build. Despite their hypothetical functionality, the "arms" look awkward to me. I think it's the way they just stick out. Maybe strands of this, with their flexibility, would look better? Like, if they were curled slightly into the body? Or is this just me being weird?The head and tubing are perfect and brilliant.

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

I agree that the pose the arms are in could be better, but in order to get a better pose I'd have to force the flex tubes into another shape, which I didn't really want to do. What's that you're trying to link to there? It looks like the URL had an unmentionable site. The word filter got it.

Wow, really unique. This really has some character to it, just by looking at the beady eyes and spindly limbs. The "gas mask" and thin limbs for some reason made me think of mosquitos (I think the color also had something to do with that). Great MOC regardless, nice parts usage.

2010 Set Progress- Stars: 6/6 - Collectable Minifigs: 6/16
bioyearone.png
flickr)-((Organized) Confusion)-(Shadow Enclosures
Ventorus Website