A Couple Questions About The Baterra

I would say yes and yes. The first one just seems to me like there's no reason they shouldn't. The second, I feel like shields have a certain offensive aura about them. If you have a shield, you're obviously preparing for a fight. If you just want something to protect you, you build a wall. A shield provides an opportunity for a counter attack. It's also highly unlikely you'd see a somebody with a shield and no weapon really, so the chances of the Baterra having to make the decision as to whether it's a weapon are pretty minimal.

Edited by Taipu1

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

i depends of the way of shapeshifti; if it's a toa-power-like shapeshifting,and if the battera has to keep all it's mass (turning smaller would make more dense), then no. but it its a shifting jumble of parts, .etc then no as well.people can shield-bash, and skrall shields are sharp.some shields not others, I would say.

Edited by Hippopotomonstrosesquipeda

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

1. I believe it would depend on the kind of shapeshifting power the Baterra have. If their power is like Matau Metru's mask power, then no. If it was like a Makuta's shapeshifting power, however, then I would say yes.2. I don't see why not.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

1. Hmm...since baterra are machines, probably not. Birds are living beings, have a certain bone structure and wings to fly. While I think it is certainly possible that biomechanical birds could exist in Bionicle, they would likely have a strong organic component as real birds do, thus no machine could shapeshift into a bird and actually fly. 2. I agree with those who say that they would. If you are carrying a shield, you are likely not a benevolent party.

While I think it is certainly possible that biomechanical birds could exist in Bionicle, they would likely have a strong organic component as real birds do, thus no machine could shapeshift into a bird and actually fly.

The Baterra can mimic organic things though, they turned into trees at one point I vaguely remember. And I reckon a 100% mechanical thing could still fly. Planes do.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

While I think it is certainly possible that biomechanical birds could exist in Bionicle, they would likely have a strong organic component as real birds do, thus no machine could shapeshift into a bird and actually fly.

The Baterra can mimic organic things though, they turned into trees at one point I vaguely remember. And I reckon a 100% mechanical thing could still fly. Planes do.
At least, they can appear as trees. They cannot take on the biological functions of a tree. And no amount of shapeshifting will give you jet engines. Besides, as far as we are aware, there are no planes in Bionicle, and the probability of the baterra being programmed with the ability to shift into one is relatively slim.

1. Baterra were never shown to turn into dynamic things like animals. I don't know if this means that they can or can't though.2. I would say it dependsnon the shield. Gresh or a skrall's shield are also blades, so there is a difference between theirs and someone who picked up a table as a makeshift shield.

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

so there is a difference between theirs and someone who picked up a table as a makeshift shield.

You make an interesting point there though, because theoretically almost anything could be a weapon. I mean would Baterra attack Turaga, because their badge of Office could be used offensively. Vakama did use his offensively in MoL (If to humorous effect :P)

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

That first one is unclear. I think I'd say yes, as we've seen, Makuta can fly by shapeshifting wings. I figure the Baterra shapeshift the same way.Like Taipu1 said, if you're carrying a shield, you're probably ready to fight. I don't know of anyone who carries shields around just for the fun of it.

Edited by alpha123

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Like Taipu1 said, if you're carrying a shield, you're probably ready to fight. I don't know of anyone who carries shields around just for the fun of it.

Well, some could just carry shields to protect themselves from bird poo. :shrugs:

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Like Taipu1 said, if you're carrying a shield, you're probably ready to fight. I don't know of anyone who carries shields around just for the fun of it.

Well, some could just carry shields to protect themselves from bird poo. :shrugs:
Have you seen any birds on SM lately? And besides, I think their armor is resistant to that sort of thing. It would likely only bother their vanity, not be a health hazard.

I personally never got the impression that Baterra fly, but in hindsight this makes no sense given that "bat" is in their name. So sure. :PAnd while I agree a shield that looks like a buzz-saw would be seen as a weapon... a shield that looks like it couldn't be a weapon, I think it's plausible they might let that go, if they don't have anything else.What's really interesting is what else might be seen as a weapon if a clearly defensive shield would. A walking stick? (Not like Gandalf's. :P) A backpack? A harmless fruit someone was trying to eat? (I say harmless because off the top of my head I don't know of any harmless ones, rather Thornax... but just hypothetically...)It seems to me they have to draw the line somewhere and the most logical place to draw the line is in whether something is clearly intended for offense purposes. Although technically any object can be used as a weapon, if that was where they drew the line you'd think there'd be nobody left on the planet by now lol.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I personally never got the impression that Baterra fly, but in hindsight this makes no sense given that "bat" is in their name. So sure. :PAnd while I agree a shield that looks like a buzz-saw would be seen as a weapon... a shield that looks like it couldn't be a weapon, I think it's plausible they might let that go, if they don't have anything else.What's really interesting is what else might be seen as a weapon if a clearly defensive shield would. A walking stick? (Not like Gandalf's. :P) A backpack? A harmless fruit someone was trying to eat? (I say harmless because off the top of my head I don't know of any harmless ones, rather Thornax... but just hypothetically...)It seems to me they have to draw the line somewhere and the most logical place to draw the line is in whether something is clearly intended for offense purposes. Although technically any object can be used as a weapon, if that was where they drew the line you'd think there'd be nobody left on the planet by now lol.

Maybe the Baterra take how the item is held into account. There's a difference between a warrior with a spear and a farmer with a shovel. I'm curious about things like hatchets which can easily be seen as weapons. Since the Great Beings planned to shut down the Baterra, they could be programmed specially for the Core War, when any being was likely armed.

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

What's really interesting is what else might be seen as a weapon if a clearly defensive shield would. A walking stick? (Not like Gandalf's. :P) A backpack? A harmless fruit someone was trying to eat? (I say harmless because off the top of my head I don't know of any harmless ones, rather Thornax... but just hypothetically...)

I'm reminded of a Sister of the Skrall's quote: "We carry no weapons that they would recognize as such. Why should we start a war with them?"Since the baterra were created to stop a war, they would probably only see swords and other common war weapons as weapons, and likely wouldn't take into account how it's used. This would include Thornax launchers since they were used in the war, but not a walking stick or something thrown or anything like that.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!