Why is Lego releasing Bionicle after Christmas?

I was having a conversation with my dad about Bionicle and it soon went to why Bionicle is releasing after Christmas instead of before. He brought up several good points- the Christmas season, and december in general, is when the most toys are bought during the year. By releasing Bionicle in december, Lego could easily make a hefty profit. Also, if the extreme hype paid off and the new Bionicle sets were all bought up due to an early, in-time-for-holidays release day, it would increase the demand for them and they'd be worth more money. Finally, most Bionicle fans will spend money to buy presents for Christmas, and may not want to spend lots of money soon afterward. Coming from a non-fan, he made a good argument. I'm equally confused why Lego would pass up an opportunity to make lots of money like this one. It seems odd that they'd release a reboot of one of their most successful themes after the biggest toy-buying season. Why would Lego do this when they would make a profit no matter how you look at it, and fans would get to introduce others to Bionicle- which would make more people wanting to buy Lego Bionicle. I was looking forward to buying Bionicles for my siblings, and they're pretty bummed they might be getting New Year's gifts from me instead of Christmas gifts.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

the simple reason is that Lego sets are never released during the Christmas season. Lego just doesn't really do seasonal releases; they kind of stick to their own schedule and put out the occasional holiday-themed set. couldn't say why, but that's how it is.

besides, even though Lego themselves aren't releasing the sets in their stores until 2015, a number of retail stores nearly always put them out mid-December.

• Upvote 2

I'm in agreement with your dad. They have massive amounts of hype riding behind this release and to squander it all on Christmas would be a bit silly.

Currently Working On: City of the Fallen - Character Building and Script Writing

To Do: City of the Fallen - Voice Acting and Animation, Deathmatch - Character Building and Script Writing

"Wherever you go, you had better be looking over your shoulder - because one day I will be there. And I promise you it will be the last thing you will ever see."
— Lesovikk to Karzahni, Dreams of Destruction

One obvious reason: Rolling out the new sets in time for Christmas would cut into the profits LEGO could make on the old sets. The Christmas season is the LEGO Group's biggest opportunity to clear out the sets from the previous summer and make room on store shelves for new sets. Why spoil that and end up with needless overstock of the summer sets?

Not to mention that this way, LEGO STILL makes boatloads of money on the older sets, then in January they make boatloads of money AGAIN from people spending their Christmas money on the new sets. It's a win–win.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 11

Not to mention that this way, LEGO STILL makes boatloads of money on the older sets, then in January they make boatloads of money AGAIN from people spending their Christmas money on the new sets. It's a win–win.

Or dashing out to buy the hot new Bionicle stuff they've all been waiting for. 

IMO Bionicle coming back doesn't need another holiday to be exciting. It's its own celebration. 

I think it is good that Lego releases the new wave of sets after the older ones disappear during Christmas, because that way more stock from the new wave of sets can be placed on the shelves and then get purchased, giving more money to The Lego Group which can used for bigger budgets on some of their workings.

I really hope this tactic helps with the sales of the new Bionicle sets. I want the new line to succeed for all of us on BZPower and the new generation of kids to enjoy.

Maybe there releasing them after Christmas for THREE KINGS.

Oh God, do people celebrate them outside of Mexico?

Yea in my case i celibrate christmas and three kings and were i live we also speek spanish and no i dont live in Mexico.

I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the Matoran Universe