Culture Clashes: Eating Habits

Agori and Glatorian eat food with their mouths, right? Matoran see eating food with the mouth as gross, right? That's going to be a problem when they start living together... right?How do you think they'll sort this issue out? I'm thinking the Matoran and Agori will have their meal times at separate places from each other, to avoid grossing each other out.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

They don't always see it as gross (and in fact, they can do it themselves if necessary), it was just the Skakdi's overall barbarism that revolted them. Once they understand it as being imperative to the way Agori eat, I can see them adapting fairly quickly, even if they don't necessarily start eating that way themselves.

Edited by Dorek

Either they'll get used to it or it'll become normal for beings not to eat in public. Maybe they will have segregated restaurants, and spots where you can eat peacefully in public without having a Matoran be grossed out whenever they see you.

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

I think the cultures will probably get used to each other's customs. When you first hear music from one culture, you might think it's terrible. However, if you spend a long time living with that group of people, then you might come to like that music. Something similar might happen here.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

I think they may be surprised at first, but they would get used to it. I would assume the Skakdi would be sloppy eaters (understatement), while the Agori eat like most humans. How gross it is to watch a Skakdi eat would also be affected by how abnormally large their teeth/mouths are compared to the rest of their heads. (probably 80% of a Skakdi's head is its mouth)

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

Simple. Matoran don't eat, Agori do. It's not like the Matoran can be like "Can I have some of that?" like when you're eating chocolate and and your dog wants some. Matoran can't eat, so it can't really be an issue. Besides, I doubt this has any storyline significance.

Simple. Matoran don't eat, Agori do. It's not like the Matoran can be like "Can I have some of that?" like when you're eating chocolate and and your dog wants some. Matoran can't eat, so it can't really be an issue. Besides, I doubt this has any storyline significance.

Matoran do eat. They do it by absorbing the energy of the meal through their hands. Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

I think they may be surprised at first, but they would get used to it. I would assume the Skakdi would be sloppy eaters (understatement), while the Agori eat like most humans. How gross it is to watch a Skakdi eat would also be affected by how abnormally large their teeth/mouths are compared to the rest of their heads. (probably 80% of a Skakdi's head is its mouth)

Yeah not to mention they don't seem to be able close their lips around their teeth so you would see them chomping on every bite.
ian_banner.jpg

I think the cultures will probably get used to each other's customs. When you first hear music from one culture, you might think it's terrible. However, if you spend a long time living with that group of people, then you might come to like that music. Something similar might happen here.-don't touch my pocket protector

I can see what you mean there, but at the same time I don't think you could ever enjoy the way someone else eats :P I'd say it would more be more to do with becoming tolerant of the eating, or music in your analogy.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

Matoran do eat. They do it by absorbing the energy of the meal through their hands.
I meant that they don't eat with their mouths

I can see what you mean there, but at the same time I don't think you could ever enjoy the way someone else eats :P I'd say it would more be more to do with becoming tolerant of the eating, or music in your analogy.
Well, yeah, if you focus on somebody else eating then it would probably gross you out even if it's culturally acceptable.

Matoran do eat. They do it by absorbing the energy of the meal through their hands.
I think they can eat with their mouths, but they just choose not to because absorbing food through their hands is much more convenient, and perhaps attracts less social stigma. Not 100% on this, but I can't PM GregF to confirm it :(.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

As I recall, in Maze of Shadows, Nokama eats the Karzhanni herb thing with her mouth, so I guess Matoran could if they wanted to, they just don't. I imagine the social differences, etc like this will take some getting used too, though...

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Well, yeah, if you focus on somebody else eating then it would probably gross you out even if it's culturally acceptable.

I think they can eat with their mouths, but they just choose not to because absorbing food through their hands is much more convenient, and perhaps attracts less social stigma. Not 100% on this, but I can't PM GregF to confirm it :(.-don't touch my pocket protector
I visited the Body Functions-related official topic a while ago, and it said that Matoran can aborb food energy through their hands OR mouth, but they prefer absorbing it through their hands.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the best way to compare the two different eating methods is by looking at them as batteries. Eating the food through their mouths would be like using disposable batteries, where once the charge is used up, the battery is worthless and must be replaced with a new one. Absorbing the energy through their hands would be like using a rechargeable battery, when the charge is depleted, they simply recharge it by using a charger.Both methods work, so it's really just a matter of preference and/or availability. However, it's more likely that any organic food would be eaten and any absorption of energy would be done at an energy well, like the one mentioned in Brothers In Arms.Of course, we really should consider the cultures we're talking about here. The Matoran come from a land with more sentient species than you can shake a stick at and the Agori just recently witnessed a giant robot death match and their broken desert world brought back together and returned to its original environment. I don't think a difference in eating preferences is going to be that big of a deal to either culture.

There comes a point when we have to ask ourselves a very simple question, "Why?"

swahili_translate.png

Man, I've been on this site for like six years and only have 500+ posts,

being the strong, silent type really doesn't work well online.

They feed Rahi pets that way all the time. I don't see why they'd have a problem with it, knowing it isn't them and that it's the only way the Agori can eat. They probably all understand it's the natural way to eat anyways, and since they're artificial life, it's understandable their way would be different.In other words, they might see it as gross for a Matoran to eat that way if he didn't have to. But otherwise they seem to be fine with it.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)