The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Okay, two basically impossible things, though I am going to limit the comms a bit to add another layer of possible sneakiness. To use FTL comms, you have to set up an HPG network, otherwise there is a delay for every system the signal has to go through to reach its destination. Ships cannot use HPG transmitters unless you design a ship very specifically to carry one (much like with jump-drives, you're generating a large amount of energy to punch a hole in reality - the difference is that, with FTL comms, you're also maintaining that hole long enough to send a message through. These things are going to be big and suck up a lot of energy). In-system communications suffer no delay in the game, because that would be mean.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

@ Pony RPG: You should probably make mention of a dragon's wickedness and size being directly proportional to the size of its hoard. And the fact that it seems a dragon can remain a "baby" indefinitely.Edit: Also, where is the dragon's castle, and I suppose Fillydelphia won't be involved at all since we've seen nothing of it?

Edited by Bundalings

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

In-system communications suffer no delay in the game, because that would be mean.

So we have instant-speed radios...I hate you so much right now. I was building entire strategies around the several-hour long speed of light delays across solar systems, and we're throwing realism to the winds for just one thing for no reason.Next thing you know my enemies will see my lasers firing before the beams hit them. Edited by King Of Shadows
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Yeah. Starscape gave plenty of concessions from realism over to excitement. From what I see, this looks like Starscape: Harder, better, faster, stronger.Harder, being as Rover said, hard as possible. If I want to, I should be able to launch multiple simultaneous attacks on different planets in the same system, and have everything exploded before anyone is any the wiser.Really, for maximum warfare excitement, I'd leave out FTL communication entirely, and make it so that you have to carry messages on ships, like in Pournelle's CoDominium. This makes assaults on individual worlds possible; I could be secure and steady in my control of one of your outer planets before you can put a fleet together to retaliate, unlike IL and Starscape where entire Battlefleets warped in the moment you showed up.This is also practical since we seem to be intent on tracking civilian stuff, so we can't say the info was carried on a random shipping freighter.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

The big thing, sadly, is that FTL communication is, at its heart, a staple of more general science fiction. However just because a message is sent to the fleet, doesn't mean it's not going to be there instantly. In a real scenario, fleets are never together one hundred percent of the time, and so one must gather their fleets in the event of a surprise attack, jump into the system, and organise a counter offensive - all of which could take far longer than an alien invasion - especially if that planet doesn't have heavy defences or the alien invasion is just so large as to overpower everything the colony world throws at them.The Big thing to remember is that just because communication is instantaneous, responce is not, nor will it ever be. It takes far longer to respond to an attack than it does to start one, and considering the fact that your fleet could be in shambles already, spread throughout known space, in addition to being multiple systems away from the under attack system... really if someone were to manage to get an entire retaliatory/defensive fleet ready and in battle before you were mostly finished, I'd pin a medal on said person. The only way that's going to happen is if either the defenders have really good intelligence, and know the attack is coming before it does, or the attackers have really bad intelligence, and have no idea that the fleet is already at the system they plan to attack.Aaaaaaaand I'll end my little rant there, cause while the majority of the people here seem to be more into the science-y aspects of this new "genre" of TBRPG, i'm more logistical. I've been studying Medieval Battles and Military strategy since i was five, after all, and the amount of time it takes to respond to an attack when your army is gathered at the place being attacked is rediculous. - In an area as vast as space... That number grows tenfold, especially when trying to mount an organised defensive.And as for your building entire strategies that must now be thrown to the wind... I'll give you one tip as a strategist. Never base a strategy on something that's not confirmed or is liable to change. There's a reason that, besides my idea for a race, i've put almost no true thought into how i'm going to play. When mostly everything is set in stone, then i'll start making my strategies.

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

FTL comms may not be as hard as possible, but it is quite literally very required. We're talking massive distances here; no FTL comms means ships themselves must jump to deliever the news. While that might be cool, that'd also probably be extremely cruel. That, and the logistics of it would be insane.And yeah, Xom, remember how I was scheming to you over AIM before Starscape opened? Remember by plans to dominate the IL? Then remember me complaining to you how Power ruined my plans? Yeah. No plan survives encounter with the enemy.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

You should also remember that, while planets and ships in the same system can communicate instantly, and planets with HPG stations can communicate instantly with planets in other systems that also have HPG stations, planets without HPG stations and most ships cannot communicate instantly, which means that you could conceivably get news of an attack, but your fleet could still be left in the dark.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Thankfully, due to my nomadic fleet structure I'm somewhat immune to that; all my smaller fleets will have at least one HPG dedicated vessel, and my robotic outposts would have HPGs as well.Come to think of it, with proper planning, my fleet may break the game in the sense that I can't be destroyed, so long as I keep a finger on the nuke button. On the flip side my industry will be constantly strained and difficult, so having a proper military force to invade would be problematic.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Bear in mind that HPG ships are going to be big, expensive, and will likely be rather lacking in weapons.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I am fully aware. However, since I doubt I'll be doing any extensive military measures methinks I'll be ok with two or three.

voidstars.png

The big thing, sadly, is that FTL communication is, at its heart, a staple of more general science fiction. However just because a message is sent to the fleet, doesn't mean it's not going to be there instantly. In a real scenario, fleets are never together one hundred percent of the time, and so one must gather their fleets in the event of a surprise attack, jump into the system, and organise a counter offensive - all of which could take far longer than an alien invasion - especially if that planet doesn't have heavy defences or the alien invasion is just so large as to overpower everything the colony world throws at them.The Big thing to remember is that just because communication is instantaneous, responce is not, nor will it ever be. It takes far longer to respond to an attack than it does to start one, and considering the fact that your fleet could be in shambles already, spread throughout known space, in addition to being multiple systems away from the under attack system... really if someone were to manage to get an entire retaliatory/defensive fleet ready and in battle before you were mostly finished, I'd pin a medal on said person. The only way that's going to happen is if either the defenders have really good intelligence, and know the attack is coming before it does, or the attackers have really bad intelligence, and have no idea that the fleet is already at the system they plan to attack.

Rover, please, please, please have this quoted in the main post.

-Rover

So, what exactly are the specifics of FTL drive physics? :w:

I second this; I want to know just how far I can exploit them.

voidstars.png

I was halfway through typing this when the post about holding the questions was made, so this one will get an answer now.You're punching a hole in the universe to wherever you're trying to go. Gravitational fields and other forms of interference can mess with the field, yielding unpleasant results (like, say, your ship being smeared over a large area of space). You rip the hole open, and then the ship basically just drops through before the hole can go ahead and collapse. HPG transmitters punch a significantly smaller hole in space, but they have to actively hold it steady, and are putting enough energy into maintaining the hole that gravity can't distort it or disconnect it. Jump-gates, if anyone's seriously going to do that, punch a really big hole and have to maintain it just like an HPG transmitter, but they still can't put you inside of something's gravity well, and the hole doesn't stay open as long as an HPG transmitter's hole does.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

@ Pony RPG: You should probably make mention of a dragon's wickedness and size being directly proportional to the size of its hoard. And the fact that it seems a dragon can remain a "baby" indefinitely.Edit: Also, where is the dragon's castle, and I suppose Fillydelphia won't be involved at all since we've seen nothing of it?

I shall add that about the dragons now. :)As for Fillydelphia, that's one of numerous towns in Equestria that is mentioned but never seen. My criteria was towns that have been seen, mainly because the map I drew didn't fit in my scanner as is, so adding and drawing every town would not have fit at all. :P Those places can be visited, sure, but the ones on the map are the 'main' ones.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodies? Your grace."

"I know that one. 'Who watches the Watchmen?' Me, Mr. Pessimal."

"Ah, but who watches you, your grace?"

"I do that too. All the time."

If anyone would be interested in co-hosting a Discworld-themed RPG for OTC, please PM me!

To drum up publicity stimulate discussion regarding IL Mk. III, I will now present to you a draft of a section which is basically the meat and potatoes of the numerical portion of the RPG - the Industry system, courtesy of Lloyd (I switched some names and clarified small things).

IndustryKinds of IP:The basis of the Industry Point system is simple. Each player controls solar systems, and each system gives a certain number of IP. This number grows over time as the planet's population and industrial base grows. To claim a planet, the player simply constructs a colonizer-type vessel and sends it to the system in question, stating that he is claiming the planet, and, officially, the system – though others can still claim other bodies in the system, and this is likely to happen quite often. The game map will be updated to reflect this as soon as possible. There are two kinds of IP.

• [*]Normal Industry Points are spent on vessels of war, to defend the nation or bring ruin to its enemies. When a player PMs a ship profile to the GM, the GM will name an IP price for the ship class. Every time one of these ships is constructed on a Foundry World, some of the player's total IP will be used for the upkeep of that vessel.[*]Civil Industry Points function similarly to normal IP, but have some different investment opportunities. Your total CIP determines how large you can build your colonies--if your total CIP is less than 10, you cannot mature your Large Colonies into Small States no matter how long you wait. You can spend CIP on trading vessels, which allow you to buy and sell various things with other players, such as vessels or technology. They are also important to espionage, allowing you to sneak spies into another nation's economy. You can also spend CIP on internal security to make it easier to root out enemy spies, and on planetary upgrades (covered in another section).

Kinds of Colonies:There are three kinds of colony that one can build. Once constructed, they cannot be changed without building another colonizer to re-settle the planet from the beginning. The kinds are:

• [*]Foundry World: This is the basis of every military, providing Industrial Points (IP). Its forges make the machinery, the computers, the weapons, and the munitions of your war machines, and its skydocks assemble them upon your command. When fully matured, Foundry Worlds are simply skyscrapers of machinery, oceans of molten metal, and barracks of workers, their orbital elevators constantly moving pieces of new vessels into orbit.[*]Commerce World: Commerce is the blood of a civilization, and when an economy is strong, it grows ravenously. The purpose of a Commerce World is to feed that economy and strengthen the internal prosperity of its parent nation. A Commerce World shortens the amount of time required for another world to mature to its next stage (with two caveats: it can only shorten the maturation of one world at a time, and cannot shorten the maturation of another Commerce World), and builds trade vessels in its skydocks. When fully matured, a Commerce World is full of bustling businessmen and tireless accountants, meeting in glimmering skyscrapers to decide their companies' futures.[*]Garden World: All beings must eat something, and that food must come from somewhere. Garden Worlds produce the necessities that serve Foundry and Commerce Worlds, summarized in the form of Civil Industry Points. When fully matured, Garden Worlds are veritably Edenic, providing their parent nation with incredible bounties, and their workforce's living quarters optimized for a minimal footprint.[*]Balanced World: Much like our Earth, some worlds may not fit totally in any given category. A Balanced World is any world that features a trade-off between the three types of industrial power. You will need to state the percentages in which each type of industry is present on the world, and from there you can figure out in one easy step how much of x type of industry the planet produces at any given stage in its growth.

Kinds of Planets:There are many different kinds of planets out there, from small rocks hurtling around a star, to planets that might produce their own life one day, to massive gas giants. Each of these gives different bonuses to certain colonies that are founded on them. Bonuses manifest differently for different kinds of colonies: a +1 bonus for Foundries and Gardens is equal to 10 C/IP, while a +1 bonus to Commerce is equal to 1 day of maturation time.

• [*]Barren Rock: From Dwarf Planets to asteroid belts, these are airless stones flying through space, only coincidentally trapped in the gravity well of a sun. Barren Rocks give +1 IP bonuses to Foundry colonies, -1 day penalties to Commerce colonies, and -2 CIP penalties to Garden colonies.[*]Airless Planet: Lifeless spheres of stone and metal, large enough to have its own moons but not large enough to keep a decent atmosphere. Airless Planets give +1 bonuses to Foundries and Commerce, and -1 penalties to Garden colonies.[*]Blue Marbles: Blue Marbles are hidden gardens of life, full of their own exotic flora and fauna. They give -1 penalties to Foundries, no bonuses to Commerce, and +2 to Garden colonies.[*]Ringed Giant: Ringed Giants are gas giants that are big enough to have collected rings of dust and rock and valuable minerals. They give +2 bonuses to Foundries, +1 to Commerce, and -2 penalties to Gardens.[*]Gas Giant: Gas giants have no rings, but are simply tiny, incredibly dense planets with massive atmospheres full of valuable gases. They give +1 bonuses to Foundries, +2 to Commerce, and -2 penalties to Gardens. Bear in mind that the moons of Gas Giants can be colonized, and can fit under any of the categories for rocky planets. Colonisation of a Gas Giant (or a Ringed Giant) signifies the establishment of some sort of settlement in the upper atmosphere of the planet itself.

Development of Planets:The longer a player occupies a system, the more developed it becomes. This process is referred to as "maturing" is is one of the most important aspects of the IP system. There are several levels, and each one gives the owner increasing amounts of IP.

• [*]Outpost: The Outpost is the bare bones of a colony. It consists of life support, living areas, and a flag, not much more. A Foundry Outpost grants the owner 0 IP, a Commerce Outpost gives a 0-day reduction in maturation time, and a Garden Outpost gives 0 CIP. An Outpost gives merely the possession of the system. It takes 1 week for the Outpost to mature into a Colony.[*]Colony: The Colony is beginning to bud, but just barely. It can support itself, but its exports are minimal. A Foundry Colony grants the owner 1 IP, Commerce shortens maturation time by 1 day, and Garden gives 1 CIP. 1 week is required for the Colony to mature into a Protectorate.[*]Protectorate: The Protectorate has begun to come into its own, as the colonists have mastered the difficulties of working in foreign lands but do not yet have the infrastructure to create anything meaningful. A Foundry Protectorate produces 2 IP, Commerce shortens maturation time by 2 days, and Garden gives 2 CIP. A Protectorate takes 1 week to mature into a Minor Territory.[*]Minor Territory: The Minor Territory is beginning to bustle with business. Its gene pool is large enough to be self-sufficient and its production can now exploit the quirks unique to its home planet. However, it has just begun and its exponential rise is still starting. The Minor Territory grants 3 IP (Foundry), 3 days' less maturation time (Commerce), or 3 CIP (Garden), and takes 1 week and 10 CIP to mature into a Small State.[*]Small State: The Small Town no longer requires confined spaces and rationed supplies. It can support is own basic economy and families have begun to make their homes here. The Small Town grants 5 IP (Foundry), 5 days' less maturation time (Commerce), or 5 CIP (Garden), and takes 2 weeks to mature into a Key Territory.[*]Key Territory: The Key Territory is fairly average, as far as colonies go. It's not exceedingly large, but it provides 10 IP (Foundry), 6 days' less maturation time (Commerce) or 10 CIP (Garden) for its owner, a decent amount. It takes 2 weeks to develop into a Provincial Capitol.[*]Provincial Capitol: A Provincial Capitol has much hustle and bustle about it, becoming prosperous and wealthy in short order, and this in turn makes the owner of the town quite wealthy. It gives the owner 15 IP (Foundry), 1 week's less maturation time (Commerce) or 15 CIP (Garden) and takes 2 weeks and 40 CIP to mature into a Hub World.[*]Hub World: The Hub World is still coming into its prosperity, and thus doesn't produce quite as much as it could. It produces 30 IP (Foundry), 8 days' less maturation time (Commerce), or 30 CIP (Garden). It takes 3 weeks and 50 CIP to mature into a Core World.[*]Core World: A Core World is the center to trade in the system and is producing its own goods at an amazing rate. It provides 60 IP (Foundry), 9 days' less maturation time, or 40 CIP (Garden) It takes 3 weeks and 60 CIP to mature into a Homeworld.[*]Homeworld: A Homeworld is a trade hub for a whole interstellar region, and anything is for sale here for the right price, from simple goods to a man's life. Its economy is an influence that cannot be ignored, and provides 90 IP (Foundry), 10 days' less maturation time (Commerce) or 90 CIP (Garden) for its owner. It has reached the height of its maturity and cannot go any further.

Planetary Upgrades:There are some thing you can build on a planet to improve its output or keep it safe, and these are represented by Planetary Upgrades. You may only build one of a kind per planet (ex. you cannot build seven Stock Exchanges on a planet to eliminate a whole week of maturation. You may only build one per planet.)

• [*]Planetary Defenses: If a world comes under siege, it often needs to be able to fight back. From railguns hidden in mountain bunkers to anti-orbit lasers or aerospace fighter bases, Planetary Defenses are designed for that purpose. They cost 5 IP and 5 CIP.[*]Stock Exchange: Stock exchanges are powerful centers of an economy, allowing their users to keep a finger on the pule of commerce in the area. They cost 25 CIP and give a +1 bonus to Commerce.[*]Police Center: The government makes the laws, but it takes eyes on the street to enforce them. The Police Center helps coordinate police stations all over the region, strengthening your internal security. They cost 20 CIP.[*]Terraforming: Some planets are horrendously inhospitable to life, and so you need to improve them to make them liveable. They cost 30 CIP and provide a +1 bonus to Commerce and Garden.[*]Orbital Elevators: No matter how impressive your laser cannons are, they are ineffective if you cannot attach them to your ship. Orbital elevators (or launch loops) take the expense out of moving materials into orbit. They are fairly difficult to build, however, costing 20 CIP and giving a +2 bonus to Foundry worlds. What is really mean by an orbital elevator, as mentioned before, is any organized system for shuttling things back and forth between space and the planet below, not a space elevator.[*]Processing Plant: Sometimes your Garden worlds just won't be productive enough, and you'll need to call on your military industry to support your civil productivity. A Processing Plant applies disciplined methodology and advanced technology only the government can afford to improve the productivity of Garden worlds. It costs 20 IP and gives a bonus of +2 to Garden worlds.

• [*]

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Having had this e-mailed to be mefore hand by Lloyd, my thoughts are already made; it looks pretty awesome. There'll be a fair deal of maths to do when you start the game though, but it looks polished and professional so it's fine.Though I do find it interesting it'll take 98 some weeks for it to grow from colony to full grown world. Any idea on the time scale we'll be using here?

Edited by Sweetroll Thief Alex Humva

voidstars.png

I wasn't complaining; Strith has a similiar growth time after all.Currently trying to figure out a time scale off of population growth; one billion could probably manage the highest stage, with plenty of robotic assistance and future tech of course.

voidstars.png

Okay, just want to see if I've got this straight:Do we decide what sort of planet we have colonised or will each system have a register of planets we pick one from?If I had a Blue Marble Garden World at a Small State level, it would just give me 5 CIP? Nothing else?And if I had a Balanced Airless Planet at Key Territory level it would produce 20 IP and 0 CIP?

7AOYGDJ.jpg

The maps will be made with the planets avaliable listed.

voidstars.png

Anybody heard of the game Darkspore? I'm tweaking the idea, but i think it could make a decent RPG. Message me if you're interested in helping?And Necro, Concerto sounds fun to me. :)

I attempted to start a Darkspore RP elsewhere, but I hasn't worked. Not really anybody is interested in RPing there. If there are enough people here, then, well... perhaps I can get somewhere.
They were called Tenno. Warriors of blade and gun: masters of the Warframe armor. Those that survived the old war were left drifting among the ruins. Now they are needed once more.

The Grineer, with their vast armies, are spreading throughout the solar system. A call echoes across the stars summoning the Tenno to an ancient place. They summon you. 

Allow the Lotus to guide you. She has rescued you from your cryostasis chamber and given you a chance to survive. The Grineer will find you; you must be prepared. The Lotus will teach you the ways of the Warframes and the secrets to unlocking their powers.

Come Tenno, you must join the war.

@ TPTI: Each planet needs its own colonizer, I think. As for you questions about the math, a Blue Marble Garden (+2 bonus, which translates to 20 CIP, a huge bonus) at Small State level (5 CIP) is equal to 25 CIP. As you can see, Blue Marbles are far and away the most valuable planet type.A Balanced planet, the results depend. Is 20% of it going to Foundry, 30% going to Commerce, and 50% going to Garden? Or is it going to be 50/50/0, or something else? Balanced planets allow you to mix and match with the penalty that they're not producing as much of one type as a dedicated planet would.:w:

Yes, each planet requires its own coloniser. Asteroids do not require colonisers, as all you'll really be putting there is a mining station. Specific asteroids will likely not be listed, only the location of the asteroid belts, allowing for a theoretically infinite number of asteroid mining stations - in practice, of course, those are limited by the available IP.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Wait...Are we going to have every single solar system's planets mapped out?blasphemymadnesssparta.jpg

-Rover

The 3-Dimensional map is a big problem, and one that Alex is working on as we speak. It will not be considered finished until it can be easily read, though, from what I've heard, he has an idea or two that should make it reasonably easy to read.The solar system maps, though, will be relatively easy - Alex and I will be splitting the work on those 50/50, or, I suppose, 30/30, since the first sector will have 60 systems.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

My undnerstanding of the 3D maps is that they will be pictured from several angles (and possibly with an XYZ axis, if what I saw was a precursor). The different pictures would have to have one thing that is visible in all of them, with unique facets of it that you can see from all angles, to tell exactly what angle we're looking at it from.:w:

Well, my understanding was that, in the final product, the systems would be numbered on the 3D maps, so that could provide the necessary reference points.One early suggestion I had made for the maps was to divide the sector into 3 planar slices that can be stacked on top of each other, and make a map for each slice and then a single image that shows how the slices fit together

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Foundry World?Forge World just sounds so much cooler!

-Rover