The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

Interesting's one word for it, I suppose. Makes me wonder if there's something in the water that makes these guys go completely nuts after a while.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

So, with us being half way through the year, what are everyone's favourite releases from the first half and what are you looking forward to in the second?

So far my favourites are Clutch's Earth Rocker, Cult of Luna's Vertikal and Skinny Puppy's Weapon. Nice Hooves' self-titled, Kvelertak's Meir, Rotting Christ's Kata Ton Daimona Eaytoy, Cathedral's The Last Spire, earthtone9's IV and In Vain's Aenigma are all fantastic too.

As for the second half, I'm looking forward to the albums by Nine Inch Nails, Front Line Assembly, Ihsahn, Devin Townsend, Turisas, Dark Age and Behemoth.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

with strictly hard rock/metal releases, Earth Rocker by Clutch, Nice Hooves by Nice Hooves, Meir by Kvelertak, and Construct by Dark Tranquillity are definitely favorites

truth be told though I'm really behind on the new metal albums this year, there's still a ton that would probably make the list but I just haven't bothered with them yet

most of the albums I've really liked this year have been from other genres entirely

as for upcoming hard rock/metal albums that I'm looking forward to though, I'm pretty stoked for Crown of Phantoms by Chimaira, Dethroned & Uncrowned by Katatonia, and Serpents Unleashed by Skeletonwitch (Skeletonwitch is good enough but with Kurt Ballou producing you know it's gonna be good)

don't consider NIN metal although they have had some heavy-ish songs, but since you mentioned them then I'd might as well throw them in there too, I'm super psyched for Hesitation Marks

Edited by Ryuujin

Yeah, NIN aren't exactly metal, and neither are Skinny Puppy or FLA for that matter, but considering how influential they are on it I thought I'd mention all three.

Might actually have to give the Skeletonwitch album a listen when it comes out. Been meaning to give them a try for a while.

Edited by Cheshire Cat

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

there really needs to be an Official Music Topic again and I'm quite shocked that nobody has actually requested permission to make one

might do that myself actually

also Boots/GIR/whatever you like to be called, I'd recommend checking out Nice Hooves because I feel like you'd enjoy them

iirc you like Every Time I Die and that sort of thing and they're somewhat in a similar vein

Edited by Ryuujin

The only new metal album I've listened to so far this year is the Black Dahlia Murder's latest, EverblackIt was ok I guess? I only listened to it in its entirety once so I don't remember much of it. I wasn't too keen on Ritual tbh (though I barely listened to it, too) and Everblack is just more of the same

there really needs to be an Official Music Topic again and I'm quite shocked that nobody has actually requested permission to make one

might do that myself actually

also Boots/GIR/whatever you like to be called, I'd recommend checking out Nice Hooves because I feel like you'd enjoy them

iirc you like Every Time I Die and that sort of thing and they're somewhat in a similar vein

whatever you want man, i'll know when y'r talking to me

i tried to change it back to gir but someone else has it now

i'll check them out for sure, i love etid

i kept seeing yr sig and figured it was some sort of MLP thing

only in dreams.

i'll check them out for sure, i love etid

i kept seeing yr sig and figured it was some sort of MLP thing

nope, they're a side-project of the Detroit hardcore/metalcore band The Armed (who are even better and you should also definitely check them out)

just released their self-titled debut, produced and mixed by Kurt Ballou, for free download on Bandcamp and it's like one of my favorite releases this year

i've only listened to play jazz and roots so far, and im currently downloading their lp

this is sick, they sound like etid but if they amped up the groovy southern element

but they still have their own sound

edit: you can tell right away kurt ballou produced this

if my band ever gets to that level, i want kurt ballou to mix all of our stuff

Edited by Boots Electric

only in dreams.

<3 Cult of Luna.

Neurosis are kind of similar I guess, although I'm not very familiar with sludge metal outside those two, so can't offer much more, nevermind free stuff.

However, if you are looking for free music in general, and since you mentioned Converge as a favourite band in the music topic, check out The Temptress. They have a couple of free albums on their bandcamp.

They're a local band to me, and I actually found out about them by meeting and befriending their guitarist, who's a super cool dude.

He says Converge are the main influence on the band, although I wouldn't really know how similar they are, not really being a fan of Converge at all, but I do think these guys are pretty good.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

that was the first one I downloaded and started listening to

it's reeeally nice

EDIT: having listened to all of his full-lengths I think I have to agree that Beacons is his best but all of them are pretty amazing

"Amy, I Love You." is probably my favorite track although I may be biased since Amy is my name but w/e

Edited by Ryuujin

yeah I am

most people assume otherwise unless specifically told so it's fine

plus in that context I wouldn't have thought anything of it since "son" does work much better with that phrase

anyway been diggin Mastodon a lot lately

I've always said Leviathan was my favorite but man Blood Mountain is seriously growin on me and now I just don't know anymore

Edited by Ryuujin

i can't pick a favorite mastodon record

they're all so good (except for the hunter but that album doesn't actually exist)

but if i had to pick a favorite it would be remission, solely because it has where strides the behemoth

i would give almost anything to see them on the remission tour

only in dreams.

You know, I used to not really like The Hunter, but I gave it another shot recently and found it better two years after my first listen. Still my least favourite Mastodon album, but the title track and The Sparrow are just beautiful.

Crack The Skye is my favourite. Still blows me away every time.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

i can't pick a favorite mastodon record

they're all so good (except for the hunter but that album doesn't actually exist)

I actually really like The Hunter. that may just be cuz it was the first Mastodon album I ever listened to and the album that got me into them (I used to hate them, honestly) but I thought it was good for what it was.

would like another Remission, Leviathan, or Blood Mountain with the next album though.

So, I've been kinda getting into Metallica recently. I'm not terribly pleased with a lot of it, but some of the songs are quite good.

Ride the Lightning.

MoP and ...AJFA may objectively be the best on a technical level but Ride the Lightning is by far my favorite. by faaaaar.

So, I've been kinda getting into Metallica recently. I'm not terribly pleased with a lot of it, but some of the songs are quite good.

Ride the Lightning.

MoP and ...AJFA may objectively be the best on a technical level but Ride the Lightning is by far my favorite. by faaaaar.

It's certainly got some good songs. The title track was too messy and noisy though. :(

hopelessly drifting, bathing in beautiful agony

Black Album's my personal favourite.

Then again, I'm pretty well known for my off-beat tastes. :P

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

No liking to Kill 'Em All? Well ok. :P

Honestly, riding in a car with MoP playing makes me sleepy. I'm not saying I'm into really heavy stuff, either, it just does that to me.

Personally, KEA is my favorite, but I understand why people like RTL more, for it's more stable sound and whatnot. KEA is just so crazy with sudden solos and sheer loudness. You have not listened to Hit the Lights if ya haven't listened to it goin down a highway with it blasting. Hey, helped keep my mom awake while she was driving on a vacation trip. XD

By the way, anyone like Diamond Head or other King Diamond-related acts? I really like Lightning to the Nations (album itself). Just wondering.

Led Zeppelin?

Yes. :P

No liking to Kill 'Em All? Well ok. :P Honestly, riding in a car with MoP playing makes me sleepy. I'm not saying I'm into really heavy stuff, either, it just does that to me. Personally, KEA is my favorite, but I understand why people like RTL more, for it's more stable sound and whatnot. KEA is just so crazy with sudden solos and sheer loudness. You have not listened to Hit the Lights if ya haven't listened to it goin down a highway with it blasting. Hey, helped keep my mom awake while she was driving on a vacation trip. XD

Hit the Lights sucks, sorry. The lyrics are terrible and the reverb on the vocals is unbearable. No song should sound like the singer is far away.Seek and Destroy, though. That song is brilliant.

hopelessly drifting, bathing in beautiful agony

By the way, anyone like Diamond Head or other King Diamond-related acts? I really like Lightning to the Nations (album itself). Just wondering.

Lightning to the Nations is the only Diamond Head album I've heard, but I like it, and I love King Diamond's stuff. However, as Ryuujin said, they're completely unrelated. King Diamond is the vocalist for Mercyful Fate (who are brilliant btw).

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

I got into a Pantera phase a couple months ago, and for some reason I got really obsessed with A7x's Nightmare album; I had it on repeat for 3 weeks!! Also, have been getting into some Disturbed around that same time. But still, Opeth is by far the best metal I've heard, and I am an absolute retard for not having seen them in concert when I had the chance. Oh and thanks for recommending Katatonia, Amelia.. They have some really good stuff!!

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

Ugh, sorry 'bout that. My brain got severely mixed up with diamonds as you can see. XD

Seek and Destroy is a bit worn out for me, I think. Just heard too much. What do you think of the solo in Hit the Lights, though, Sinclair?

Led Zeppelin?

Yes. :P