R P G: Stríð Karla

Alex Humva

OOCNot for short periods of time; they give low strength x-rays and the occasional gamma ray, not enough to effect you if you're only dealing with it for short periods, but if you're wearing it as a necklace or ring the constant exposure if going give you cancer.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

OOC: If I remember correctly, it was stated that they only gave off that radiation when doing their refrigeration thing. If they're being worn as jewelry by people living in a fairly cold climate (see: walruses), they're probably safe.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCI'm going assume that the rich have heated homes, and that they're warm blooded mammals, so they're always going be doing their refrigeration thing, assuming they're in contact with anything above whatever temperature I put them at.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC:Production halted on the first B-9 Shadow for the sake of Project Aveline.IR:Location: Level(IP) [upgrade Progress/Upgrade Threshold]N-7: Large State(40)O-8: Large State(40)O-9: Large State(40)O-7: Medium State(30) [7/21]P-8: Small State(20) [7/21]O-11: Medium Territory(5) [4/14]Total IP: 175Project Reverene(100)[39/60]Helbrecht(50)[12/14]B-9 Shadow(0)8/12Project Aveline(25)

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOC: Oh right, i suppose I need this. Herp a derp.Provinces:I-18: Super Province (80)I-19 Capitol State (60) Mar. 22J-18 Large State (40) Mar. 22J-19 Medium State (30) Mar. 22Bern, I-17 Small Territory (1) Mar. 28Total: 211Military:165 Battalions1x Sabre-class SS (SS-01) (80)2x Vultures (30) (1xMar 21)2x Gyrfalcons (10)3x SAM arty (10)Project Skylight (20) (May 10)Project Angler-Fish (50) (Mar 22)UN BuildingTotal: 200:w:

I started on a sunday, so, nicely, all but one of my provinces upgrade then, which is why I do it then.IC:Recruitment calls have been sent out once again, for new colonists to take yet another section of the main continent.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOC: My deepest apologies for the lateness of this. Pantheon and spring break trips have kept me busy.IC:It was a feast, to be sure.Food enough to feed hundreds was piled on the different tables stretching throughout the courtyard. The night was warm and pleasant, a testament to Anitalia's climate.The dignitaries had all been greeted and brought before the Sultan, who clasped hands and bowed to each in turn. He was dressed in fine silk robes and turban, both of the national colors of navy and burgundy, adorned with gold.Behind the courtyard the Sultan's palace could be seen, a massive, ornate piece of architecture. Places of worship for Anitalia's religions could be seen in the city, towers and minarets extending into the sky. All in all, it was a beautiful, if foreign sight.The stringed instruments of Italoan musicians were coupled with the wind instruments of the Graecans and Turkiye, weaving together into a complicated, quick melody as they struck up a song.After a few minutes, the Sultan stood at the end of the table, and raised his hands for quiet. Once the noise had dwindled to where he could be heard, he began to speak."Friends, welcome! And to our visitors from foreign lands, welcome to Konstantiniyye!" he said, a broad grin spreading across his face.He guestured at the food along the tables. "I'm sure you'll find plenty to satisfy your hunger here, and then some!" he said, chuckling. "Thank you for all being my honored guests. To my friends from other lands, we have places arranged for you near me at the head of the table. Later tonight will be a wonderful time to work out trade agreements and other concerns, but for now, eat, drink, and enjoy yourselves! May your gods bless you!"With that, the Sultan sat, and the music resumed as the party picked up again.

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

OOCINDUSTRY REPORT:PROVINCES:~Super Province~Capital State (Up. Mar. 21st)~Capital State (Up. Mar. 21st)~Medium State (Up. Apr. 4th)UNITS:NoneBASES:~D18NATIONAL PROJECTS:NoneBUILDING:None[/\]I love all the 'nones' I have.

voidstars.png

IC:The Astarian dignitary, a strong drink in one hand and wearing a long, swooping blue dress, her long brown hair falling in waves about her, her blue and orange eyes gleaming, was the picture of elegance. A necklace, wrought from silver and bearing a single garnet, drew attention to her neckline, met with earrings of Lapis Lazuli-the most rare and precious of all stones*, to the Astarians. Her dress coloring, dominant blue with orange tints, followed the motif of her eyes, as many fashion-minded Astarians did. The diplomat, Calasi by name, soon found herself near her Aquilonean counterpart, and thought for a moment what she might strike up a conversation over.OOC: What are the rules on establishing island bases? If I want to take that little island in N-6, do I just post about it, or does it take up industry?*In Astaria, Lapis Lazuli holds the cultural connotations that Diamonds do in the real world.

Edited by cardworkMagician

-Rover

OOCYou post saying what island and where it is; no IP costs or benefits, you just get a military staging point, possibly some tourism.IC [standast]There were fifty six Stans present at the party, members of the Senate and Congress present with businesspersons, as well as the Second Minister and the Third President. The Senators were busy striking up general conversation, the Congress members weren't so much talking as much drinking heavily, while the Second Minister was heading towards the Astarian ambassador and the Third President looked as if he was here against his will, trying to ward off any dignitaries coming near him. All of their outfits varied of course, but they all wore the same basic Stan business outfit; slacks with a collared shirt. Nothing fancy, nothing special, maybe the occasional necklace.OOCFun fact; quartz is a highly popular jewel in Standast, not because of it's rarity, but because the heroes of old often wore quartz jewelery and then used them to stab people. If you see someone wearing a quartz knife then it's a sign they're popular.

voidstars.png

IC:The Astarian ambassador spotted and recognized the Stan Second Minister, and, grateful for the chance to break an awkward silence with the Aquilonian ambassador, held her drink towards the Minister, raising her eyebrows.

-Rover

IC [standast]"Ambassador," the Minister said with a nod of her head. "I was hoping to find you at this party; many a Stan businessperson wishes to meet with you for negotiations with your government."

voidstars.png

IC:"Funny. I had business on my mind as well." Calasi began. "Which sort of firms do you speak for?"OOC: Meetings like this are unimportant on their own, but because of the power each person here holds, more diplomacy will happen in places like this than in any diplomatic meeting. Fun stuff when half the attendees are drunk.

-Rover

IC [standast]"I speak for the general Stan business at large; we want to open our borders much more, to allow more business interaction between our two nations." She shrugged. "If you want anything more specific you'll have to speak to the business representatives here."

voidstars.png

IC:"Well, I do essentially the same, but as I'm the only one here, if your government has any requests or propositions, just talk to me." Calasi smiled pleasantly, showing carefully brushed teeth. She idly wondered how other peoples cared for their teeth; perhaps they didn't take in sugar as much as Astarians, and their teeth needed less care? She decided to pay attention to teeth more often. The other thing she marveled at was how foreigners never seemed afraid or awed by her eyes; most races' eyes were dull and boring, to Calasi. Shouldn't her eyes, by contrast, be marveled at, exotic as they must be?

-Rover

IC [standast]On the other side of the mental spectrum, the Stan Minister was also pondering eyes. But rather than being awed and amazed the most she could think of was the various monsters in the Stan religion that had blue eyes. Exotic to a Stan was simply different; maybe a tad attractive, but simply different all the same. If the Astarian ambassador was so inclined she'd find the Minister's teeth are clean and white; the Stans took dental health about as seriously as most, as the Stan diet was high in meat, so good teeth were a requirement for your continued survival."There is one proposition was I asked to carry though, from a company who couldn't bring someone here; they produce the national drink, and they wish to sell it in Astaria."OOCYes, the Stans have a national alcoholic drink.

voidstars.png

IC:Calasi stopped for a moment, took a swig of the unpronounceable drink in her hand(figuring she'd need it) and gave the Stan a moment's blank stare."You mean to tell me that you've actually gotten people to settle on a certain drink? That alcohol isn't one of the largest points of argument among your people? That they agree on one thing over another?" Calasi drained the last of her drink, and set it on a nearby table. "Madness" she muttered. "Well, what is your national drink?"

-Rover

IC [standast]"This." The Minister pulled out a small canister from her pocket, handing it to the ambassador. "A bit rough on your first try, but you get use to it. We call it akdov."OOCTake a wild guess at what it's IRL equivalent is.

Edited by Gaius Alex Humvus Augustus

voidstars.png

IC:Calasi took a half-mouthful from the bottle and swallowed it, then cringed."Strong, but flavorless. Nothing interesting about it." She shortly critiqued. "This could sell well as a base for mixed drinks, but on it's own I doubt it will do well. Astaria's alcoholic culture is heavy on mixing drinks, adding fruit, a good amount of sugar, even sometimes a soft drink, that sort of thing."

-Rover

OOC:Name: FillionHistory: Earliest recorded history puts the beginning of their civilization at about five thousand years ago. The six islands that made up their archipelago quickly formed into city states that proceeded to scuffle over land rights and other problems, real or imaginary, for the next four thousand years. At then end of that time, known as "The Dark Ages" to the inhabitants, a group tired with the petty squabbles of the six city-states, rose up and began to pull them all together into a single country. It took the next four hundred years and a lot of blood,but eventually they did it. The resulting government was comprised of a council of seven. One elected official from each city and a seventh person from the organization that pulled the country together. After that was referred to as the "Silver Age". A time of A time of growth and healing for the country. Mostly healing though, several thousand years of warfare is not an easy thing to get over.Theirs is a cold and hilly country. Anything that grows there is sturdy and resistant to the cold. Massive cliffs drop into the ice cold waters along most of the coastline. Any cove or beach is covered in grey-black pebbles and boulders. Seabirds can be seen almost anywhere on the islands. Large chunks of ice can be found lying around near water sources such as streams and pools.Fillions are pale skinned with any combination of brown, black or blond hair and eyes of grey, blue, green or gold, sometimes even a combination of as many as three. They usually are about average height and posses a slightly less then broad build.As a whole, they are an honorable people who hate dishonesty.Cultural traits: They praise martial prowess and hold military and athletic contests every five years to see which city has the best people. While they do place an importance on the body, they by no means neglect the mind. Poetry, philosophy, song and the sciences are also praised and any who practice them are held in high esteem. Their technology has progressed in a way that tries to work with the elements rather then force them into the desired shape. Due to the fact that reflected light by way of ice sculptures was one of their first art form, they have over the last few hundred years, become very good at optics. If they see a good idea, they are not afraid to copy and try and improve upon it.Location: Island 10A2: Skinhok- Small state-20 IPA3: Clinvel- Small State-20 IPB2: Meltat- large State-40 IPB3: Dacros- Small State-20 IPC2: Nytle- Small State-20 IPC3: Benser- Medium State-30 IPVehicle Class: "Seabhac" HelicopterVehicle Description: An assault type helicopter used as scouts or light assault vehicles. They posses armor heavy enough to block a bullet. They have a very streamlined look and a larger then normal fuel tank for longer flight times.Weaponry: A single small "Griun" type gun on the nose of the craft.Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: 5 IP for 2/5 daysVehicle Class: "Iolar" HelicopterVehicle Description: The heavy assault craft for the Fillion military, this vehicle is much more heavily armed and armored then the "Seabhac". It is also possesses a more streamlined look then the normal helicopter but instead of a larger fuel tank, they used the space to add extra ammo for it's rocket pods.Weaponry: A small "Griun" gun on the nose of the craft. Two rocket pods on either side with a reserve ammo store right bellow the tail. Possesses several types of rockets for the pods.Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: 15 IP for 2/8 daysVehicle Class: "Faoileag" HelicopterVehicle Description: A transport helicopter rather then a combat type. This helicopter has more armor then the "Seabhac" but not as much as the "Iolar". Again, it has a streamlined design that allows for quick deployment of whatever it happens to have inside. It is able to carry up to thirty men or small vehicles.Weaponry: Two small "Griun" guns on either side but otherwise, unarmedUpkeep/Build time/Build Cost: 10 IP for 3/7 daysVehicle Class: NealVehicle Description: A converted Faoileag helicopter. It is used as an electronic warfare platform. The main diference in how it looks is are the extra antenae sticking out of varous places.Weaponry: Two small Griun guns on the side. A whole bunch of jammers, radios, sensors and just as many things to counter them.Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: 5 IP for 2/7 daysVehicle Class: CapallVehicle Description: A smaller version of the M3 Ejderha. It carries one man in a mostly open cockpit. usally painted in camofluage colors, it is used as a scout vehicle. Tops at about 10 feet tall.Weaponry: One small Griun gun on a swivel mount on the bottom of the cockpit.Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: 5 IP for 2/8 daysVehicle Class: "Mathan" TankVehicle Description: The heavy ground assault vehicle for the Fillion military.It possesses a smooth, rounded front meant to help deflect shots fired at it. A metal skirt covers it's four treads.Weaponry: A large "Griun" type weapon as it's main gun with a smaller, remote controlled one for anti-infantry purposes.Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: 5 IP for 5/7 daysVehicle Class: "Ga Solais" Anti-Air vehicleVehicle Description: A medium sized truck-like vehicle with a streamlined shape o help deflect projectiles. It possesses enough armor to protect itself against small arms fire. It has and armored cover for the gun when in transit.Weaponry: A large "Griun" type gun on it's back.Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: 1 IP for 5/4 daysVehicle Class: "Fearthinn" self propelled artillery.Vehicle Description: A large truck with a streamlined shape to help deflect projectiles. It possesses enough armor to protect it'self against small arms fire. It has an armored cover for the guns when in transit.Weaponry: Two guns on the back of the truck that fire either small scatter shot explosives or single, high powered shells.Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: 1 IP for 1/4 daysVehicle Class: RealtaVehicle Description: A partially scientific, partially observation satellite. It is made withthe latest of computers and possesses every kind of observation device that the designers couldcome up with. It is powered by a small nuclear reactor. Any data that it collects is sentdirectly back to a complex in either the international city or Fillion, depending on where inits orbit the satellite is.Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: 20 IP for two weeksVehicle Class: Seabhac MK IIVehicle Description: An upgraded version of the original Seabhac, the MKII possesses the samesleek shape that characterizes Fillion vehicles. In place of the outdated and no longer top ofthe line armor this has armor made out of the alien alloy with an upgraded sensor suite andon-board computers.Weaponry: A Griun weapon on the nose of the craft, utilizing the recently upgraded version. Twosets of Craobh, one on either side of the craft.Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: 5 IP for 2/5 daysVehicle Class: Iolar MKIIVehicle Description: A sleek design made to deflect projectiles before the alien alloy is madeto stop them head on. Never the less, it does have more armor then on the Seabhac. The on-boardsensor suite and advanced computer allow it to fire pinpoint shots. The two rocket boostersallow it to go up to speeds just shy of 400 MPH.Weaponry: A single, small, Gruin gun on the nose of the craft. A pair of small wings carrymissile pods on their ends with eight fire and forget anti-armor missiles. Two sets of Craobh,one on either side of the craft.Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: 15 IP for 2/8 daysVehicle Class: Mathan MKIIVehicle Description: Possesses the same outward appearance of the original model, with theexception that the new model is slightly longer and it has a different gun. The inside isanother story though. Upgraded computer systems allow for much more accurate aiming and givethe crew commander a view of the entire battlefield. The alien alloy that now covers it is alsonew.Weaponry: An auto-cannon that has been changed to fire a bigger round at a smaller pace. Aremote controlled small Griun weapon sits on top to take care of any infantry that might bearound. Two sets of Craobh, one in front and one in back.Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: 5 IP for 4/7 daysVehicle Class: Ga Solais Anti-Air vehicle MKIIVehicle Description: Looks the same as before. A sleek, elongated shape, designed to deflectprojectiles. The old armor had been replaced with the alien alloy, although it has a thinnercovering then most of the other vehicles. The upgraded computers allow it to hit whatever itaims at.Weaponry: A single upgraded, heavy Giun weapon. A single Craobh one top of the vehicle.Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: 1 IP for 5/4 daysVehicle Class: Fearthinn Self Propelled Artillery MKIIVehicle Description: Looks the same as before. A sleek, elongated shape, designed to deflectprojectiles. The old armor had been replaced with the alien alloy, although it has a thinnercovering then most of the other vehicles. The upgraded computers allow it to hit whatever itaims at. It possesses cloaking panels that can be placed over the armor or removed at a momentsnotice.Weaponry: A single gun rather then the double guns from before. A single Craobh on top of thevehicle.Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: 1 IP for 1/4 daysVehicle Class: FaolVehicle Description: The first foray by Fillion into the world of fighter aircraft. It lookslike the modern day F-15 and is capable at hitting speeds around 900 MPH when on after-burn. Ithas a nose mounted radar system as well as a infrared sensors built in.Weaponry: Hard points for up to eight missiles or bombs. A pair of swivel mounted small Griunsguns, one on the bottom, the other on top. They are capable of detonating any incomingordinance almost as soon as it comes in range.Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: 15 IP for 3/12 daysDivision Name: "Sealgair"Division Description: These men and woman specialize in counter guerrilla warfare and anti-spy operations. Single teams are comprised of ten men.Type: SpecialistWeaponry: Whatever the situation calls for. They are trained with just about every weapon in the Fillion military. Whatever the situation, though, they always have a .45 pistol and one of the adjustable swords that is the standard issue melee weapon for their army.Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: 10 IP for 50 (5 groups of 10) - 4 daysWeapon Name: GriunWeapon Description: A type of gun that ranges anywhere from the main gun on a tank to the size of a heavy machine gun. It takes in light and focuses it into a beam capable of cutting through metal. Strength of beam depends on how big the gun is, the one on a tank being capable of taking on vehicles while the one the size of a heavy machine gun is better suited to taking out infantry. They are powered by chemiluminescent batteries that can run for three hours each before needing to be replaced. It needs either a fixed emplacement or a vehicle to carry all the necessary parts.Weapon Cost: N/AWeapon Name: AirteinWeapon Description: It looks like a larger then normal grenade. When used it has two stages. The first one goes off in the shape of a small explosion, sending the second stage flying. The second stage is a cluster of small munitions that all explode a set time after being sent flying by the first stage. Used as an anti-infantry weapon.Weapon Cost: N/AWeapon Name: HopperWeapon Description: An anti-personal mine. Simaler to the "Bouncing Betty" of WW 2, it waits several seconds after being stood on before springing up to chest hight and going off. It will kill anyone within three yards of it and the shrapnel will injure anyone within ten yards.Weapon Cost: N/AWeapon Name: SceanbhWeapon Description: An anti-vehicle mine. It is made up of a long pressure pad with the explosive part in the middle. It is calibrated so that something the weight of a large vehicle has to presss on both sides of the pressure pad before it goes off. When it does, it sends a metal spike up at high enough speeds to punch through thin armor or get a grip in thick. The spike then explodes inside whateverset it off.Weapon Cost: N/AWeapon Name: TintreachWeapon Description: An anti-veicle mine. As soon as a certain amount of pressure is taken off the pad a wire with a magnetic clamp shoots up onto whatever set it off. It then sends an electric current through the target machine, frying electric sysems and possibly setting off any ordinance that may be inside.Weapon Cost: N/AWeapon Name: HurricaneWeapon Description: A round ball serveral feet in diameter with nozzles sticking out in different directions. It is used to counter airborn chemical or biological weapons. When activated, it sucks in large amounts of air and sends it through a filter that picks out the agents and stores them in a tank.Weapon Cost: N/AWeapon Name: IasairWeapon Description: It is the size and shape of a normal flash-bang. When set off, the core superheats, breaking the glass partition between two chemical solutions. When they meet, the chemiluminescent process is sped up by the superheated core, creating a bright and fairly quiet, light, enough to temporarily blind anyone looking in it's direction and distort the sight of anyone in the area.IC:The dark clouds and heavy seas had surrounded the islands for as long as history could remember.Now they were leaving.Crowds of people stood on windswept bluffs to watch as the angry clouds gave one last rumble and then faded away into nothing. The seas were calm, silence reigned for several seconds as the crowds took in the endless steely blue of the open waters that could now be seen. A Kellon, a bird of hope took to the air and gave a piercing cry that cut through the silence.All at once people started cheering, shouting, jumping up and down and hugging each other.A voice rang above the din and all in the crowds quieted, allowing there leader to speak."People of Fillion! For the past six hundred years we have striven to heal the rifts that our ancestors created. We have rebuilt what they tore down. We have continued where they left off. For the past six hundred years we have done nothing but fix what has been broken by those who came before.But no more!We have healed!We have rebuilt!We have continued!The launching of the rocket and now this! The storms that enclosed out lands are gone! The world is open for us to explore!The Age of Silver is over! It is the start of a new Age!One where we don't need to worry about what was done in the past. One where we can learn and discover and move forward from the Dark Age.People of Fillion! I give you the Golden Age!"It was not a very long speech. But the Fillios were not much of a fan of big speeches, nor was this the only one being made today. On all six islands, similar speeches were being made. A few weeks before, the leaders of Fillion had met to discuss the reports by the scientists of the weather. From what they had been told, the storms would dissipate in a few weeks and leave the sea open. The consensus had been unanimous, this signaled the end of the Silver Age and marked the start of the Golden Age of Fillion. The news had been spread throughout the six cities in a matter of hours and since then the entire nation had kept a close eye on the black storm clouds that hovered over the seas.Now they were gone and the Tolhen met again to decide what would be done. It was decided that several long range helicopters would be sent out in different directions to see if any land could be found besides their own small portion.OOC: Helicopters with first contact teams sent to ToD, Alex Humva and Veeci.

Edited by Silvan Haven

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC [standast]"Hmm. Standast lacks many fruits, even fewer sweet plants. Sugar crop can only be harvested in a rare few areas heated by geothermic vents; it makes sweeteners a rather expensive ordeal. Adkov does it's job for our purposes; I suppose your purposes aren't quite the same."OOCThis should be interesting; Astaria is an equatorial paradise, Standast is a northern icy ****hole. What one takes for granted the other would probably be shocked by.

voidstars.png

OOC: Yep. Astaria's main deficiencies are in lumber-more jungle than forest-and in certain metals, like copper and silver.IC:"Drinking and mixing drinks is one of our big national pasttimes. The others are football(the literal meaning of the name of a game quite similar to real-world football), politicking, and, well, you know..." This last phrase, Calasi punctuated with a wink and a grin.

-Rover

IC [standast]The Stan minister raised an eyebrow, muttered something in Stanish about the gods, and shrugged. "Stan national pasttimes include snowboarding, drinking, killing each other every few years, and DIY PVC creations."

voidstars.png

IC:"I can DEFINITELY get behind two of those four!" Calasi declared excitedly. "So, what exactly is snowboarding?"

-Rover

OOC: He could always walk up and join the conversation...

-Rover

OOC:...>Talk about Kingly things>Backwards smiley faceI WILL SHOVE A CACTUS DOWN YOUR THROAT!Ahem...nevermind that.IC: PartyAs she spoke to the Stannite, Calasi slung her hair over her left shoulder, freeing the prehipheral vision out of her right eye, and allowing her to spot the Sultan. She shifted slightly, turning her body a few degrees towards him, a move calculated to attract attention.IC: AnnouncementA new law had been debated in the Astarian legal forums for weeks now, but it had finally passed. All foreign nationals living in or entering Astaria would require to have their blood tested-obsensibly to screen for diseases the Astarians had no resistance to, but a clause in the law allowed the Health Office to keep any data acquired from these tests on file. As it happened, every foreigner in and entering Astaria shortly had their DNA on file.

-Rover

OOC: Nein, but it is the hostly thing to do.IC: Unnoticed to the world, a few cutting-edge scientists from many fields quietly vanished. Some of them were killed in tragic accidents, while others, who never had much connection to the outside world, just went missing. A few missing persons reports were filed, but they were lost in the sheer weight of the bureaucracy. None of the vanishings ever made the news, although obituaries were published where appropriate.Meanwhile, the ideological spies who were being cultivated in Astaria were being treated to the wonders of capitalism, slowly but surely undermining their faith in the socialist system. No longer did the smartest scientist have to languish in the same circumstances as the most mentally impaired man--with the wonders of capitalism, those who were geniuses (such as these scientists) could take full advantage of their skills and rise to the top.OOC: Xom, you never did respond to the blackmail and bribery of your scientists (that is, the ones with secrets they cannot afford to let out and the ones with gambling debts, above-the-table or otherwise).:w:

IC: Noticing the Astarian woman, the Sultan excused himself from the table, leaving the Prime Minister to deal with the dignitaries and other guests.He made his way over to the small group, and began speaking in fairly decent Astarian."Good evening, my friends. Enjoying your time here, I hope?"OOC: Calls for colonization have gone out, as the government seeks to establish another foothold on the mainland.

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Lloyd: I advise you to ask Rover about the differences between Communism and Socialism, you're pretty clearly confusing the two.As for the scientist blackmail, I figure there's not really much I can do about it when you seem to be deciding every bloody detail of my scientists lives without asking me about it. Stop it, right now. They are Astarians; their lives are my decisions. Are we clear?IC: Astarian ScientistsOne Astarian Scientist, on being blackmailed, contacted his friends within the project, discussing his interactions with the Aquilonians. Others reported their similar meetings. One scientist began keeping a list of the names of the Aquilonians who had threatened or bribed the scientists. Two days later, at the exact same time, each Aquilonian infiltrator found a pair of armed policemen at their door with warrants for their arrest.IC: Astarian PoliceThe ideological spies, meanwhile, were dealt with curtly. Socialism was Astaria's way. These foreigners could practice their own economic systems as they liked, but they had best not voice their opinions to patriotic men who disagree. Undermining Socialism undermined Astaria, and it was a short step from a Foreign Immigrant to an Enemy Of The State. Furthermore, they were reminded that they were not subject to the Astarian Constitution, and any of the rights and protections it provided.OOC: Above ICs made irrelevant due to Aquilonian scientists being Wizards.IC: Sultan's Party"Oh, definitely." Calasi said, grinning. Her eyes swept up and down the Sultan, as if taking a measure of him.

-Rover

OOC: According to the professors I have spoken with, communism is the same thing as socialism, the only difference being that communism advocates the violent overthrow of non-communist states. To those who are more inclined toward socialism, I've heard the term defined as "everyone shares the resources" as opposed to communism's "the government doles out the resources" however, in actual practice the two are the same.Second, I said that they were blackmailed/bribed anonymously. This is smelling suspiciously like magic anti-spy abilities. And all these ideological spies were merely having chats with their friends in a bar or at home or wherever--that's how an ideological spy is converted. Talking to someone and discussing political theory with them isn't a crime, is it?So I'm pretty much just going to wait until you've either let me succeed or come up with a more plausible way of cleaning up my spy rings. You look like you're throwing a fit because I'm taking you on in a manner in which I feel very capable.:w:

OOC: is that everyone's scientists? Because infiltration of Varangia was never mentioned.Also, ToA, is the Sultan going to acknowledge the goat I sent? I'm not planning on ICing as it, but I did send the Sultan a goat.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Like I said, talk to Rover.As for how I look, consider how you look; you look like you're naturally assuming that your spies are perfect and never slip up, that they can gain information on my scientists where it's entirely unreasonable, and that you can simply invent things about Astarians that may or may not be true. Gambling doesn't exactly exist in Astaria.Having a chat with a friend at the bar can still get you in trouble-Astaria is a peaceful place, but, since you insist on comparing every freaking thing to the Cold War, imagine what the response would be if, at the height of one of America's Red Scares, you sat down in a bar and started preaching the merits of Communism. You'd probably end up with your name on a government file, if not run out of town, because that's all the US Government has the rights to do. Astaria's government is not limited by things like ethics or a conscience.Oh lawdy I'm playing the Villain again...Astarians are a naturally racist, bigoted people. If they became "friends" with someone, and within a month were being bribed with information they had recently told that person, they'd probably make the connection, especially since these are scientists, each of them quite smart. What happened; the Astarian Police was given a list of names of Aquilonian immigrants, and the scientists from Project Reverene told them these men were Aquilonian spies. The Astarian Police has no reason to doubt them and plenty of reason to trust them, so they get rounded up.

-Rover

IC: A reply was sent to Varangia(?), thanking them for the goat.IC: The Sultan stroked the short beard on his chin, a habit of his, as he returned the smile.He extended a hand to the Astarian, palm down in the Anitalian custom, before correcting himself and turning it for a handshake."I don't believe we've had the pleasure of meeting. I am Sultan Sulemin III. And you would be?" he asked, smiling.

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

IC:Calasi smiled and shook the Sultan's hand. "I'm known as Calasi. Pleased to meet you, Sultan." Calasi inclined her head, her hair falling into drapes about her shoulders.

-Rover

OOC: @ Rover: No, my scientists are the ones vanishing, and Xom's are the ones being blackmailed/bribed/subverted.@ Xom: My spies are highly educated and trained to the highest standards. As implied by their history, the Aquileonese are master spies and it's their most common tool of conflict. They have been doing this since the beginning of their history. They do slip up, but not a few months into a job. If they did that, they'd be sent back to a training facility. I see no way that I have so far done anything that isn't perfectly possible in real life--my intelligence officers started walking in the same circles that potential spies might, got introduced to a lot of the people in those circles. Of all of them, they were able to filter out the ones that didn't have what they wanted and focus on those who did (keeping up social connections to maintain appearances, of course, but their intelligence efforts were quite focused on the Reverene scientists). Some of them stayed at arm's distance and used surveillance work to find their vices and exploit them. Others, who found the exceeding few who (being intelligent people) weren't quite sure that their socialist paradise was all that it seemed, began to talk to them, tell them stories about Aquileon, make them think that Aquileon is a nice place and that Astaria should imitate them. Of course, they kept this strictly private--not prying into any classified work the scientists might be doing.Also, I'm going to call absurdity on the non-existence of gambling. There's not two people in Astaria who wouldn't be willing to risk something for a game of chance, whether it's for the payout or (more likely) for the thrill? Even if it's banned, I can guarantee you that it'll happen underground. Even if you've somehow managed to concoct a moneyless society (even the USSR had money, although it wasn't worth very much) they can gamble with other things, like a barter system. To claim that gambling doesn't exist might not be the height of absurdity, but it's up there.I compare everything to the Cold War because that is my frame of reference. If I had another one I'd mix them. I will cede to you that if they were caught doing that they would probably get evicted from somewhere as xenophobic as Astaria, but my intelligence agents are very smart and circumspect. They can spot a shadow or find bugs, and they are good actors--you kinda have to be in the intelligence business.I wonder if they'd be able to recall who they blabbed to under the influence of alcohol. It has an amazing ability to blur memories and reduce inhibitions, so I can guarantee you that very few of your scientists would be able to recall who they were talking to, and much less what they were talking about.IC: Meanwhile, other operations were being set in place. As Astaria was a very xenophobic country, it seemed natural that the foreigners would gather together and become friends. However, a few select Aquileon agents began to use this to their advantage, making connections that were very subtle, but condemning nonetheless. Concealed by the cloak of social life--many people went through the places the agents were planting evidence in the span of a month, and pains were taken to eliminate any and all Aquileonese connection to the evidence--certain items were planted in the residences of certain non-Aquileonese foreigners in Astaria. They all painted one very large picture: that of several countries, all attempting to engage in espionage against Astaria. It was suitably random, to appear as if none of the countries' spying efforts were connected, and very cautiously, over the span of a long time, a certain legend was concocted. But it wasn't triggered just yet. It had to lay dormant for some time.~+~Meanwhile, at the Sultan's party, the Aquileonese ambassador pulled an Anitalian ambassador aside, engaging him in small talk and plying him with traditional Anitalian drinks. After he judged the general's inhibitions lowered, but not to the point of drunkeness, he got to the point."General, I have a request on behalf of my country." he said, his voice low. The two found a table close to the wall, away from the press of the crowd but still camouflaged in the social surroundings. "I have been instructed to purchase a few military vehicles from your government. I believe that you have the pull to cut through all the red tape for me--after all, we both know how bad bureaucracies can be, eh?" he laughed good-naturedly.:w:

IC: He smiled, then kissed her hand in a formal, kingly manner."Pleased to meet you, Calasi. So, I see you're from Astaria. Tell me about your country, if you don't mind. I haven't had the opportunity to visit."IC: The general, a Graecan named Alexandros Villos, grinned, chuckling."You flatter me, my friend! I'm not sure if I could, I've never had to. It's possible, I suppose. Surely wouldn't hurt anything."

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.