Doctor Who. Official!

Ah, right, fixed points. And she did remember it? I don't recall that conversation, but I missed numerous episodes last series. >_<Also, I could be wrong, but I thought they had kept the memories? The Wedding of River Song is kinda hazy to me, specifically the ending, but I could've sworn the only odd point was that no-one knew the Doctor was alive until River explained. It jsut got awkward as Amy realized the implications of River being married to the Doctor. =P

They did get the memories of that timeline, but not immediately after it happened.

For the first half of Season 6, they didn't have any knowledge of things like River's identity or who The Silence were, which they should have had, had they retained the memories of the alternate timeline.

So, when time went all screwy, the Amy and Rory present there were the Amy and Rory from towards the end of the season, not the Amy and Rory who were watching the Doctor die. They were taken from a later point in their timelines, and were put back there after time was repaired.

...huh. I think I might have just answered my own question there.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Recently started watching Doctor Who, started with the Ninth Doctor. Didn't expect the Christmas special to have a bearing on the series in its current state, but it seems watching it hasn't spoiled anything for me, since I didn't quite understand the references to recent events in the series.Currently on SO1E06.

CrazyFace-Copy.jpg

Even when trapped by Karma's cycle, the dreams we left behind will open the door! Even if the universe stands in our way,

our seething blood will determine what will be! We'll break through time and space, and defy all who would stop us to take hold of our path!

~

Alyska: That's pretty much how I understood it. Since it was all of time pushed into one event, it took the most 'relevant' versions of each. Like, it took the most recent version of Amy and Rory, since they needed to be that way for the events at the end, but they took the Lake Silencio version of River, since she directly caused the events. You can tell it's the end-of-season Amy and Rory, since she, IIRC, can remember the events of Demon's Run, which I believe fueled part of her killing that one person. Again,it's been a while, so I could be wrong on that. =/

• 1 month later...

Was anyone else really surprised The Doctor used the memory worm on what's-his-name in The Snowmen to make him forget everything in hopes the snow would lose the connection and be defeated? The way I see it, though The Doctor isn't killing this man, he's taking away his entire life, his entire humanity and everything that makes him him and will then leave him without memories, a personality or anything to rely on. He's basically destroying his life.

That didn't quite settle well with me.

-CF

nexo_shields_9.jpg

He said it would erase his "entire adult life"- the intention being to take him back to how he was as a child, before he was corrupted by the Great Intelligence. I think any instance of a character's memories being erased or altered is going to have shades of horror to it, since so much of who we are is tied to our experiences. I found the Doctor's willingness to use it on Clara more horrific, though- it showed that he had become the sort of guy who would mess with an innocent person's memory out of convenience rather than necessity- even if the memory wipe was only of the last hour or so of her life (and there was always the risk that it would actually bite her and erase more).

• 1 month later...

Alright, I've got a bone to pick. This has been bugging me since Christmas:

The TARDIS isn't smaller on the outside. Think about Clara's statement for a moment. "It's smaller on the outside." It's smaller on the outside. That just doesn't compute.

First, it was obviously placed in the episode to show Clara being clever and different. Especially since there has been so little "bigger on the inside" lines for the Eleventh Doctor, much to his disappointment.

Second, as far as the logic of physics in the world of the show itself, it isn't smaller on the outside. Everything is outside the TARDIS, the whole vast, unimaginably huge universe. The TARDIS contains itself, all of its many rooms and whatever else, perplexedly surrounded by walls through some relative dimensions for its space to exist. Outside is simply outside. And everything outside is much, much larger than anything inside the TARDIS (presumably).

I just want to get this off my chest now, before it possible becomes a recurring line for Clara.

-CF

nexo_shields_9.jpg

You're overthinking it.

The apparent exterior material/structure of the TARDIS appears to be smaller than the interior. It's the same thing as it being bigger on the inside.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Alright, I've got a bone to pick. This has been bugging me since Christmas:

The TARDIS isn't smaller on the outside. Think about Clara's statement for a moment. "It's smaller on the outside." It's smaller on the outside. That just doesn't compute.

First, it was obviously placed in the episode to show Clara being clever and different. Especially since there has been so little "bigger on the inside" lines for the Eleventh Doctor, much to his disappointment.

Second, as far as the logic of physics in the world of the show itself, it isn't smaller on the outside. Everything is outside the TARDIS, the whole vast, unimaginably huge universe. The TARDIS contains itself, all of its many rooms and whatever else, perplexedly surrounded by walls through some relative dimensions for its space to exist. Outside is simply outside. And everything outside is much, much larger than anything inside the TARDIS (presumably).

I just want to get this off my chest now, before it possible becomes a recurring line for Clara.

-CF

If that's true then doesn't that make it smaller on the inside? Which it isn't.

Quite looking foward to the next part of the series, though.

\/ The user below me is dumb a neat guy. \/

You're overthinking it.

The apparent exterior material/structure of the TARDIS appears to be smaller than the interior. It's the same thing as it being bigger on the inside.

Agreed; I believe that's what Clara meant when she said it.

In other news, is anyone else disappointed by Doctor Who's appearance at the Red Nose Day special? I was hoping for a mini-episode like "Space"/"Time", or at least the prequel for "The Bells of St. John". Instead, we got...a non-canon crossover/spoof with another show. Funny, I guess, but it's still not exactly "Time Crash".

Am I the only one who noticed that several of the scenes in the trailer were in the same building?

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

Prequel for next episode out!

The best response I've heard to it so far:

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Unlikely; they tend to only do one prequel per episdoe, with "The Snowmen" being the exception of having two. We'll probably see another prequel or two throughout the rest of Series 7B, but I doubt we'll see another one for "The Bells of Saint John". I'm assuming the Clara girl in this prequel was the younger version of the one we'll have in "St. John"? Or is this a fourth Clara Oswin Oswald... :notsure:

Well, if it's not the same one, it probably means that the poor kid didn't live very long after talking to the Doctor, so... I'd like to think it's the same one. (Depends on whether two Claras can exist in the same time period, or whether Clara has to die before another version of herself can be born). The characters' clothing looked modern, but it's not unreasonable to assume that the scene took place in the early 2000's.

Okay so... surprised I haven't posted here at all about my Doctor Who shenanigans as of late.So a few years back when SciFi/Syfy stopped airing the good Doctor and we got a long break with the Tennant specials, I kind of fell out of watching the show. Regretted it instantly.Well, about a month or two ago I decided to fix that. I watched all of the specials, and seasons 5, 6, and the first half of 7 in about two weeks.Now I'm super excited about being caught up for the premiere on Saturday! :DSince I've been out of the loop, though, I have to ask what you guys mean by prequels...? Are these just clips from the episode released as teasers or something else entirely?~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Short web videos that take place before an episode (Matt Smith calls them "minisodes"), usually released between seasons. Not particularly plot-important, but they provide a bit of background exposition. So far, we've had a two-parter "Space" and "Time" (takes place between S5 and 6, I think), a series of five clips called "Pond Life" (prequel to S6), three clips before "The Snowmen" ("The Great Detective" etc, starring Vastra and co.), and now a prequel to "The Bells of St John." (I think I might have missed a couple- anyone care to jog my memory?)

And there's also another newish one- "Demons Run 2 days later" (Highly recommend that one-the ending is just precious).

Short web videos that take place before an episode (Matt Smith calls them "minisodes"), usually released between seasons. Not particularly plot-important, but they provide a bit of background exposition. So far, we've had a two-parter "Space" and "Time" (takes place between S5 and 6, I think), a series of five clips called "Pond Life" (prequel to S6), three clips before "The Snowmen" ("The Great Detective" etc, starring Vastra and co.), and now a prequel to "The Bells of St John." (I think I might have missed a couple- anyone care to jog my memory?)

And there's also another newish one- "Demons Run 2 days later" (Highly recommend that one-the ending is just precious).

Few corrections I would like to make:

-Space and Time aren't 'prequel's, they're minisodes, which is a different thing, kind of like Time Crash and stuff.

-Actual 'prequel's began in Series 6, with prequels to several episodes in the series, beginning with The Impossible Astronaut.

-Pond Life was technically a multi-part minisode, which did act as a prequel, but to Series 7, not 6, although I presume that was a typo.

-If it isn't officially defined as a 'prequel' on the official site, then it's a minisode, but of course minisodes can be prequels but not 'prequel's, for example Meanwhile in the TARDIS is a two-part minisode but still bridges gaps between episodes.

Terminology is confusing.

I think.

Edited by Navy Nutter

Personally I was hoping for Eccleston or Tennant + Tate, but it'll still be cool to see Ten and Rose back for an episode. It's probably bought us another five years of Ten/Rose fan screaming in certain corners of the internet, though. :PAlso, it's apparently 60 minutes long, so I'm guessing there may not be any other Doctors - 60 minutes would be kind of tight to fit three doctors and two or more companions in and give everyone decent screentime.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I am.... less than excited about Rose showing up again. Completely unsurprised about Eccleston not being involved, though.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Personally, I really hope McGann shows up. He needs a decent on-screen appearance, since he was the only redeeming thing about the movie (which I'm going to watch today. Yay). He's also amazing in the Big Finish audio plays (which are some of the best Who I've encountered. Go listen).

I want Eccleston to come back, too. One series is too short a time, and he was definitely fantastic!

I suppose Tennant was an inevitability. Shame, as he is by far one of my least favourite Doctors. And Rose? I had so hoped she was gone for good. Ah well.

So, The Bells of St John. That was quite good, right? I thought Clara felt more like a person in this story, rather than just TARDIS bait. Until now I'd been rather sceptical about her, since her entire character seemed to be "look at me! I'm really smart and quirky and can do everything because I'm amazing!" That seemed less of an issue this episode, so there's hope for her yet!

Now I must go and prepare myself for watching that accursed movie by thinking about how awesome the rest of the series is going to be.

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

Personally, I really hope McGann shows up. He needs a decent on-screen appearance, since he was the only redeeming thing about the movie (which I'm going to watch today. Yay). He's also amazing in the Big Finish audio plays (which are some of the best Who I've encountered. Go listen).Now I must go and prepare myself for watching that accursed movie by thinking about how awesome the rest of the series is going to be.

Paul McGann has become my favorite Doctor. Personally, I found the movie quite tolerable, but I've always been like that with bad media. Somehow I'm able to sit through it.I do wonder if he'll wear his newer costume from the last Big Finish story if he appears in the 50th. It's quite different from 8's establshed look, but I do think it's neat, the Sonic Screwdriver especially.mcgann_305.jpgmcgannnew2.gif

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

Not really blown away by the new episode. The Great Intelligence aspect was just kind of confusing, although it is early on in their story so I guess they should be mysterious for now. But it went a long way from being living snowmen to computer hackers.Speaking of, Clara suddenly gaining "knowledge of computers in her head" by having her mind downloaded... nah, that didn't sit well with me. Just made for yet another companion that can mysteriously do everything. As if The Impossible Girl weren't mysterious enough already.So does anyone else think that the first Clara we saw was in fact the current one, abandoned there at some point in her future...? Saying "Oswin" was her name, but coming up with the name in this episode... seems likely to me.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Well, I have to say the Spoonheads themselves didn't terrify me as much as promised, but the trapped souls in the wifi were quite chilling, as were the people in the cafe scene. So, it looks like the Great Intelligence is going to be the major villain for this arc, which could be interesting, but I still can't help wondering about The Silence. They were defeated at the end of S6, but then that event was erased from the timeline, so... are they still active? It seems a bit unlikely that the writers would have just (sunglasses) forgotten about them.

The first few scenes between the Doctor and Clara were quite sweet, although, I think I would be more than a little creeped out if I woke to find a strange man rummaging around my house and licking my belongings. And the whole "snog-box" bit was excellent, as was the throwaway line about Earl's Court.

Apparently, they're releasing Summer Falls as an E-Book... I think I might need to buy it just to see whether that really is some alternate version of Sherlock and John on the cover...

Oh; I wouldn't worry about the Silence... *Glances at second trailer for Series 7 Part 2*That was certainly part of the weirder side of the Doctor, I must say. I wonder what the significance of that leaf was; he seemed perplexed by it...Very interesting, I have to say.

I freaked out when the Great Intelligence showed up again! I'm hoping that it's the main baddie for the series (on top of making sure the Silence think he's dead by him keeping his head down, figuring out who Clara really is, and answering the Oldest Question in the Universe). And with Clara's reappearance between life and death being a thing, I wonder if there's some connection between her and the Intelligence. Hmm...

I loved the episode! So many good one-liners!

I wonder though, who gave Clara the number?

-CF

Edited by ChocolateFrogs

nexo_shields_9.jpg

I wouldn't doubt that there's a connection; the people the Great Intelligence were employing seemed to be highly interested in getting her specifically, and the whole deal with the Snowmen and the defeat of the Great Intelligence was because of her dying; so I'd be more surprised if there ISN'T some sort of connection between them. The only question is how, but I'm fine with some mystery surrounding Clara. =PIt's funny, though, how pretty much the whole episode could've been avoided(Or at least happened differently), if the Doctor hadn't questioned her particular method of recalling the password. =P