Shieldask (Also Known As I'm Back!)

Onewa7

I'm baaaack! I know I missed a while. That's due to school, and another password forgetting. But now, BZPers, I'm back for good and next time I'll miss a while, it'll mean we'll be in Downtime Era.Here's another MOC of mine, probably one of my best actually. This is a mecha named Shieldask, made for my second MOC-off in the Piece Out group, against christo1096.001.jpgGalleryAnd, guess what, the nuhvok shield used as head has no connection points what-so-ever. It's simply stuck between the three wheel pieces.005.jpgEnjoy! C&C welcomed as always.

Onewa7, Encountering Protodermis! I accept PBZP requests! If you want one, PM me the details...

PBZPs in the Archives: A B C C F H K L N P P S T
New Forums PBZPs: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T T U V W X Y Z

If a letter is already taken, I can always do a PZBP, I'll just add another to the list. Blue= done, Red= taken and in progress,

Green= coming soon.
------------
Also check My Bshelf

My comedy: Bionicle Adventures. Part 1 in the Archives. Part 2 here. I accept guest stars requests. Chapter 12 is up!

Haha Cute. It has a very Throwbots-like feel to it, which being a retro Lego fan, just speaks out to my heart. While I like the weapons you put on it are very nicely done, I couldn't really see this as a battle mech with it's lack of armor. Work bot? Of course. Scout? Maybe. But that's really about it. Though seeing it's overall style, I think that it really shouldn't be bulked up. All in all, it's a fun little MOC. 8/10Oh, and welcome back to BZP. :)

VOTE BAHRAG!

Tahu: "Who exactly are you?"

Preston: "I'm Preston Stormer. I'm the leader of a specialized robot force tasked with defending the universe. I came because I received a distress call from here."

Tahu: "That's all well and good, but we don't need some robot to take care of us!"

Mata Nui: "..."

My Current MOCs: -Kervahnka-, -Gatling Gun-, -Jetbug 2.0-

Credit to ~ProtoSmith~ for the avatar.

Haha Cute. It has a very Throwbots-like feel to it, which being a retro Lego fan, just speaks out to my heart. While I like the weapons you put on it are very nicely done, I couldn't really see this as a battle mech with it's lack of armor. Work bot? Of course. Scout? Maybe. But that's really about it. Though seeing it's overall style, I think that it really shouldn't be bulked up. All in all, it's a fun little MOC. 8/10Oh, and welcome back to BZP. :)

Thanks, yeah I think it's not really a battle mech, the weapons are there just to defend himself. Glad you like it :)

Nice MOC! The head is very nice build, nice use of technic suspensions and kanohi. The shield and gun are kinda small, though, a big gun/cannon would be nice I think. Good luck for the MOC-off BTW :biggrin:

Thank you! Yep I know about the gun. But I guess this guy should definitely not be a war mech he's too thin XD. Good luck for you too.

Onewa7, Encountering Protodermis! I accept PBZP requests! If you want one, PM me the details...

If a letter is already taken, I can always do a PZBP, I'll just add another to the list. Blue= done, Red= taken and in progress,

Green= coming soon.
------------
Also check My Bshelf

My comedy: Bionicle Adventures. Part 1 in the Archives. Part 2 here. I accept guest stars requests. Chapter 12 is up!

The head is kind of cute and the whole bodyis very well built. The shield looks good on it, and the technic springs are a really clever idea. The feet and gun are also very nice. The head compared with the rest of the body and legs give it a lot of character. 9.5/10

517px-Clone_Wars_-_Season_5_Trailer_2_-_

Woah! Such excellent combination of Bionicle, Technic, System and HF. This has a great design, robotic and very cohesive. It seems like the knees wouldn't articulate too well, but you tell me. The right arm is too black, considering the light grey HF left upper arm. The bohrok plates ought to be the same, I think. it makes the MOC look more unified if the same type of pieces (HF, Technic, etc.) are the same color. Especially with Bionicle parts, and particularly with the larger ones, it is very noticeable when a pattern is disrupted (or in this case, fails to exist when it seems like there should be one). Anywhoo, very nicely done.a_peace.png

15037057692_2fb1ce338a_t.jpg     15034366641_d827682ab5_m.jpg     15037424595_cf284dac70_t.jpg

Toa Gali Nuva

I love the character of this guy! The feet and legs look really cool. I would have kept the lower legs even more thin, but that's just me. The feet are a really nice shape. The torso is brilliant, not much more to say about that. The shield arm is a bit weak, and a bit too simple. It might me alot better if you made the shield a bit more mechanical or added a simple, mechanical hand to it. The other arm is great. Well done!

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

Thanks everyone! :)

Woah! Such excellent combination of Bionicle, Technic, System and HF. This has a great design, robotic and very cohesive. It seems like the knees wouldn't articulate too well, but you tell me. The right arm is too black, considering the light grey HF left upper arm. The bohrok plates ought to be the same, I think. it makes the MOC look more unified if the same type of pieces (HF, Technic, etc.) are the same color. Especially with Bionicle parts, and particularly with the larger ones, it is very noticeable when a pattern is disrupted (or in this case, fails to exist when it seems like there should be one). Anywhoo, very nicely done.a_peace.png

Actually the knees articulate well and don't break in pieces. Ah, finally someone who notices what I've done to the arms. Well, since the left arm is light grey with a black weapon, I decided to invert this color scheme for the right arm: black with a light grey weapon. Why? Because I only have one light grey short HF upper limb.Hmm, I knew there was too much black in the torso, and tried to use least black pieces as possible. Glad you like it.

I love the character of this guy! The feet and legs look really cool. I would have kept the lower legs even more thin, but that's just me. The feet are a really nice shape. The torso is brilliant, not much more to say about that. The shield arm is a bit weak, and a bit too simple. It might me alot better if you made the shield a bit more mechanical or added a simple, mechanical hand to it. The other arm is great. Well done!

The shield arm is the last thing I built in the MOC. I guess I was tired and didn't want to spend another hour for the last piece of a MOC that's destined to competition. Lol. Thanks anyway.

Green= coming soon.
------------
Also check My Bshelf

Wow. Excellent job merging old Bionicle and Technic with the new Hero Factory style of building. The lower arms and the legs seem to be in old Bionicle, and the rest is mixed between HF and Technic. What I like most is Shieldask's "face".

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

This is cute. One thing that I noticed it that the upper-leg is built using only suspension parts. How well does it support itself, and is it able to position it's legs differently without losing balance?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

This is a very interesting MOC. "Spindly" would be the way I'd describe it if I were limited to one word. I find the torso especially interesting here. The wheel centers as the shoulders might be a little big. The use of a noble Matatu on the back of the upper torso provides good texture, and he utilizes the holes in the mask to hook up a flex-tube. I've seen that with Viking horns, but not Mahri tubes as you've done here. I don't have any qualms about the rest of the torso, save the lower section. It's as if he has groin articulation. It's waist articulation, but honestly, it's just way too low. If viewed from the back, the lower torso is ridiculously thin. A few more armor parts should fix that.The head is only interesting in the fact that it's not attached to anything. The light gray wheel part makes it look like the MOC has evolved from a car.Either way, I kind of like that custom laser-cannon-slash-chainsaw hand. I'm not sure why. It's got a little bit of asymmetry going on there. Asymmetry can be both good and bad. In this case, while asymmetry is necessary for the hands, I'm not sure why it's extended to the upper arms if asymmetry isn't found anywhere else on the MOC. All that's needed to fix this is to put some Hero Factory armor on the upper arm of the non-shield side.On to the legs now. The upper legs are highly minimalistic, and while the MOC on the whole is spindly, I think the upper legs could be rebuilt.The lower legs also might be redone a little bit. They have this circular motif, but it jumps around from one diameter to another helter-skelter, and the small wheel centers might be a little too thick, especially compared to the thinness of the upper legs.Those feet are sweet. Great part usage there. Not only does it continue a trend of creatively using noble masks for purposes of texture, as does the Matatu I mentioned previously. But not only are the noble Rurus on the feet used in a place they're not usually seen in, but they're attached to McToran heads, in the 2003 light-gray hue. I'm afraid that while it's interesting, they might be too thick as feet. I like the noble Rurus, but not the heads below them. Props for the concepts.Back to the shield for a second here … one of my MOC pet peeves, if you will, are the use of blank studs in applications such as these. It's not that bad, really - in fact, it's a minor qualm - but I can't help feeling that something placed over it to alleviate the problem.Overall, though the actual build falls a little short, I like the concepts presented in the MOC. A few minor tweaks and this could be a really sharp MOC. :)

Edited by Phobophobia

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Excellent job merging old Bionicle and Technic with the new Hero Factory style of building. The lower arms and the legs seem to be in old Bionicle, and the rest is mixed between HF and Technic. What I like most is Shieldask's "face".

Thanks Akuna!

This is cute. One thing that I noticed it that the upper-leg is built using only suspension parts. How well does it support itself, and is it able to position it's legs differently without losing balance?

Actually it's okay, dunno how. It's possibly due to the ball joints.

This is a very interesting MOC. "Spindly" would be the way I'd describe it if I were limited to one word. I find the torso especially interesting here. The wheel centers as the shoulders might be a little big. The use of a noble Matatu on the back of the upper torso provides good texture, and he utilizes the holes in the mask to hook up a flex-tube. I've seen that with Viking horns, but not Mahri tubes as you've done here. I don't have any qualms about the rest of the torso, save the lower section. It's as if he has groin articulation. It's waist articulation, but honestly, it's just way too low. If viewed from the back, the lower torso is ridiculously thin. A few more armor parts should fix that.The head is only interesting in the fact that it's not attached to anything. The light gray wheel part makes it look like the MOC has evolved from a car.Either way, I kind of like that custom laser-cannon-slash-chainsaw hand. I'm not sure why. It's got a little bit of asymmetry going on there. Asymmetry can be both good and bad. In this case, while asymmetry is necessary for the hands, I'm not sure why it's extended to the upper arms if asymmetry isn't found anywhere else on the MOC. All that's needed to fix this is to put some Hero Factory armor on the upper arm of the non-shield side.On to the legs now. The upper legs are highly minimalistic, and while the MOC on the whole is spindly, I think the upper legs could be rebuilt.The lower legs also might be redone a little bit. They have this circular motif, but it jumps around from one diameter to another helter-skelter, and the small wheel centers might be a little too thick, especially compared to the thinness of the upper legs.Those feet are sweet. Great part usage there. Not only does it continue a trend of creatively using noble masks for purposes of texture, as does the Matatu I mentioned previously. But not only are the noble Rurus on the feet used in a place they're not usually seen in, but they're attached to McToran heads, in the 2003 light-gray hue. I'm afraid that while it's interesting, they might be too thick as feet. I like the noble Rurus, but not the heads below them. Props for the concepts.Back to the shield for a second here … one of my MOC pet peeves, if you will, are the use of blank studs in applications such as these. It's not that bad, really - in fact, it's a minor qualm - but I can't help feeling that something placed over it to alleviate the problem.Overall, though the actual build falls a little short, I like the concepts presented in the MOC. A few minor tweaks and this could be a really sharp MOC. :)

What a long and interesting review. Glad you like it. I see what you mean about the lower torso. The arms are asymmetric because I wanted a thin, weapon arm and an armored, shield arm. About the legs and feet - I admit I didn't care about humanoid proportions because this was a Mecha. I was rather thinking about NPUs for noble masks and suspension parts.Anyway, thanks for the constructive criticisms, I might make a second version of this guy in the future.

Green= coming soon.
------------
Also check My Bshelf