Bionicle In Theatres

Alyska

Just my thoughts-A. I would bet hundreds of dollars it will never happen. The fan base is too small, for one, and the characters look like robots. It seems lots of people think bionicles are robots, and it's confusing that they are merely biomechanical creatures. That might be a bit of a hurdle. Also, the toy line has been discontinued, but that isn't as big a concern seeing as this is assuming Bionicle did or was coming back. B. I would be very angry if there were live humans. Personally, I don't like that idea, because humans don't and won't and shouldn't have any part in the Bionicle saga. C. It would be amazing and awesome if it did come out.

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

• 2 weeks later...

Yea imagine CGi like the transformers and use real world stuff like New Zealand, Afirca, Russia for the islands and New York for Metru Nui and India, Persia for Bara Magna.BIONICLE: The First HeroesBIONICLE: The SwarmBIONICLE: Piercing the Darkness 1-2BIONICLE: The Forgoton City 1-2BIONICLE: Death's Edge 1-2BIONICLE: HomeBIONICLE: RebirthingBIONICLE: RevelationI'll post the ideal cast in a sec.Ideal Cast: Pt 1Tahu:Makuta Teridax: Christopher LlyodGali:Kopaka:Lewa: Jim CarreyOnua:Pohatu: Ryan StilesJaller: Burnie BurnsTakua/Takanuva: Haley Joel OsmentHahli: Tara StrongOnepu:Nurapa: What was the name for the voice of Death the Kid?Kongu:Matoro: Elijah WoodIgnika:Macku:Hewkii: Mario LopezAxxon:Mata Nui: Peter CullenVezon: Johnny DeppRoodaka: Rina ChanSidorak:Brutaka:Umbra:Antroz:Chirox:Mutran:Gorast:Bitil:Krika:Kreeka:Nihdiki:Miserix:Balta:Dalu:Velihki:Pridak:Piruk:Garan:Kalamah:Takadox:Elhek:Ackar:Kiina:Tuma:Gresh:Berix: Dexter ManningHelryx:Nuju:Vakama:Thok:Vezok:Haktann:Zaktann:Reidak:Avok:still thinking of ideas...any ideas?

Edited by Alt. D

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

As by now it has been generally discussed that it should be CGI. Obviously the only choice. Though I'm not sure if it really needs reallife scenery. That could be just plus budget if it's not just reconstructed in 3D and generally be more trouble. Even Mr.Cameron's Avatar's jungel scenes with the navii were completely made in CGI (and actors additionally filmed in one big empty studio prepped up just for green/blue screen) so it can be pulled off in one room filled with a lot of good people virtually (a mediocre animator studio usually has about 20 or so people only for inbetweenings - and that's not talking about character animators and keyframers or the guys mixing up all the sweet sounds and probably post production too [cutting, mixing ecetera]).Though the biggest problem of such a film would be, nay it already is how to reach a generally WIDE audience with the story without adding too alien/external elemants such as humans.I believe the use of human characters are only proposed by most filming studios because the human is the most easiest relating point for a COMPLETELY new wiever. Because a film only survives if it can be EASILY related to by a wide variety of people. If there is someone whom the audience easily can relate to even the film director has an easier time building up the story inside the audience. Because a film only lives inside the head of the weiver, put together and solved by him - only guided by the hints the director puts in the film. And this leads us to the general first problem that it needs a really good and clever animation film director, who is a Bionicle nerd himself too, or can crazily relate to Bionicle.The other thing that hinders such a production is recognition as I said before. And let's face it, a robot, even if it has a human-like face not that well-known, and probably it's the big screen they'are first seen on is hard to relate to by the general citizen growing up on all that cheap stuff they broadcast in television nowadays. The only way to help that without adding a human in the story is marketing. And a good marketing isn't that cheap. LEGO probably has the money to do that, but they need someone who lives in the filming vein, eats and drinks and dreams filming, and knows where to throw all the commercial-stuff to get the right amount of people with a generally acceptable budget.As it has been stated somewhere circa 1 or 2 years ago, Bionicle has only been put aside, not completely dropped of the table. The best way to get the theatrical attention the way we would like it with the film that would generally appease Bionicle fans and complete strangers too is to grow into such a community who could make it real. I have already seen some really awesome goes at it and I know that with people like here on BZP it could be pulled off. And I'm going to chew off my hands if there isn't some LEGO staff keeping their thumbs on us.Woow.. that's some lengthy post..

Edited by Stroxx

bio_sig02_lores_by_oyee-d77i3td.jpg

New pages are up! Click to see latest! \(°u°)/

Gallery & conceptart topic - Current: Pre-mut & pre-ev Makuta: Krika | Antroz | Vamprah | Miserix | Bitil | .. 

Older pics: Helryx's Fury | Makuta Sethuldur | Order's Call (no necro k? C8)

Alan Rickman as Kopaka!

That actually sounds like a good idea. His voice would suit Kopaka's frosty nature perfectly...
Oh the guy who played Snipe from Harry Potter?

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

I don't think it'd work.One reason is that Bionicle is too otherwordly. Bizarre names, bizarre appearances, bizarre settings and bizarre storylines. And not a human being in sight. Audiences need someone or something to relate to.Also, going by Lego's cinematic efforts so far, I doubt all the necessary talent is quite there. I saw the re-release of The Lion King recently, and thinking about it in relation to the Bionicle movies (unfair as the comparison may be), it had an infinitely stronger script. A darker, funnier, sadder, more involving story. I feel the Bionicle movies failed to bring their story and particularly their world to life.Another point I'd like to hear an answer for - who would a theatrical Bionicle movie be aimed at? Parents of young children would likely be put off by such alien-looking characters and creatures, whilst teenagers and adults wouldn't be interested in watching a bunch of kids' toys. I suspect it'd sink in the murky gap between 'kids' and 'mature audiences'.

Edited by Sir Kohran

A. I would bet hundreds of dollars it will never happen. The fan base is too small, for one, and the characters look like robots. It seems lots of people think bionicles are robots, and it's confusing that they are merely biomechanical creatures. That might be a bit of a hurdle. Also, the toy line has been discontinued, but that isn't as big a concern seeing as this is assuming Bionicle did or was coming back.

I thought the same thing for a while. But then you have a movie like Battleship coming out. I don't know if there's even a fanbase for Battleship. Seriously, you could make anything into a movie.

mnog3d_banner.jpg

"A fully explorable 3D version of the original island of Mata Nui is being developed. Copy this signature to support the project!"

A. I would bet hundreds of dollars it will never happen. The fan base is too small, for one, and the characters look like robots. It seems lots of people think bionicles are robots, and it's confusing that they are merely biomechanical creatures. That might be a bit of a hurdle. Also, the toy line has been discontinued, but that isn't as big a concern seeing as this is assuming Bionicle did or was coming back.

I thought the same thing for a while. But then you have a movie like Battleship coming out. I don't know if there's even a fanbase for Battleship. Seriously, you could make anything into a movie.
The difference is that projects like Battleship are a lot more open-ended. There's no set-in-stone story for the Battleship games, so the movie is less an adaptation of the game and more a brand-new story that uses the game as a framework. BIONICLE, on the other hand, has to stick pretty close to the established story for fear of alienating the fanbase. Many early ideas for a BIONICLE movie involved humans, and that seems to me like it would have flown in the face of everything that BIONICLE was. But the result of rejecting those ideas is that you have fewer directors willing to direct a movie where they have little creative control.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The one that really baffles me is Stretch Armstrong getting a film. I mean, at least kids still play with Battleship. These days, who would buy a miniature Talor Lautner made of stretchy rubber?

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

The one that really baffles me is Stretch Armstrong getting a film. I mean, at least kids still play with Battleship. These days, who would buy a miniature Talor Lautner made of stretchy rubber?
It's not for the merchandise-consuming kids, it's for the pubescent Twilight fans who are going to show up to any movie with Taylor Lautner and drool over him for two hours, probably not even paying attention to the rest of the movie. That's the problem with Bionicle; it's hard to get star power with a movie about a bunch of biomechanical beings living in a fictional universe.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Just my thoughts-A. I would bet hundreds of dollars it will never happen. The fan base is too small, for one, and the characters look like robots. It seems lots of people think bionicles are robots, and it's confusing that they are merely biomechanical creatures. That might be a bit of a hurdle. Also, the toy line has been discontinued, but that isn't as big a concern seeing as this is assuming Bionicle did or was coming back.B. I would be very angry if there were live humans. Personally, I don't like that idea, because humans don't and won't and shouldn't have any part in the Bionicle saga.C. It would be amazing and awesome if it did come out.

After looking at this topic again after I posted, I'd have to agree with you on A and B, but not as much C. Sure, C is a possibility, depending on how they wrote it or whatever. The last movie they made wasn't that great, so the expectations for this movie probably wouldn't be as high if another one came out.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

Just my thoughts-A. I would bet hundreds of dollars it will never happen. The fan base is too small, for one, and the characters look like robots. It seems lots of people think bionicles are robots, and it's confusing that they are merely biomechanical creatures. That might be a bit of a hurdle. Also, the toy line has been discontinued, but that isn't as big a concern seeing as this is assuming Bionicle did or was coming back.B. I would be very angry if there were live humans. Personally, I don't like that idea, because humans don't and won't and shouldn't have any part in the Bionicle saga.C. It would be amazing and awesome if it did come out.

After looking at this topic again after I posted, I'd have to agree with you on A and B, but not as much C. Sure, C is a possibility, depending on how they wrote it or whatever. The last movie they made wasn't that great, so the expectations for this movie probably wouldn't be as high if another one came out.
Small?! Fanbase?! What the karzahni are you talking about man!?

The Legend Reborn actually premiered in an Ultra-Star cinema at Poway, California for one day only, even before the DVD release (I own a copy, now). I know because I attended. Their was even a raffle for the big titan Mata Nui, but I didn't get it. But I did get a comic book and a set of cards free with attendance. Anyone else who attended?

mindeth the cobwebs

• 2 weeks later...

What the karzahni? seriously? :smeag: true bionicle fan right here, people.but really, the bionicle geekbase is shrinking even as we speak. at least, it's definitely not getting bigger.

mnog3d_banner.jpg

"A fully explorable 3D version of the original island of Mata Nui is being developed. Copy this signature to support the project!"

What the karzahni? seriously? :smeag: true bionicle fan right here, people.but really, the bionicle geekbase is shrinking even as we speak. at least, it's definitely not getting bigger.
Was that sarcasm?

If they do it just right, I certainy would buy it.

Was that sarcasm?
You must be Zman, nice to see you here, I am Eragon3443( duh)

SpecOperations9.jpg

Feel free to friend me!

I think that if a BIONICLE movie was made it should begin with a short recap of matoros sacrifice and him flashing back to the events that happened in a ten minute summary. Matoro then falls into karda nui and the rest of the 2008 story unfolds. I think that 2008 would be the best year for the movie due to it being in my mind the climax of the series for the most part other than the battle of bara magna. It had one of the most interesting years and feature the return of the toa nuva. It would be hard to make a movie out of some of the other years. I think 08 would work best.

Do you want to have a theme revolving around mythical beasts? If you do please support my Dragon Slayers project on CUUSOO link: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/7694

BZPRPG profile:

http://www.bzpower.c...opic=123&st=120

My latest MOC! http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9379

I think Bionicle could pull off a serious movie that the older fans could enjoy. Look at the 201-2002 comics, you won't find any kiddie-ness there, just an epic story filled with beautiful or just plain cool images. If the movie was directed by someone who had experience with Bionicle, or who knew what tone to set for the 2001 story, it could turn out pretty well. And I'm sure that with today's level of animation, we won't have to worry about fake-looking charecters or clumsy fight scenes

Onuarock.PNG

Hi guys, welcome to BZPower. It's great that you're interested in this idea, but could we please try to keep the discussion on-topic?What would you guys like to see in a Bionicle movie?

My posts don't seem to be getting up, are these moderated, or what? My post about a Bionicle movie didn't get up.Edit: I recall only this recent post; otherwise, you're not in the New Members group so your posts do not need approval. I don't see any reports coming in from this forum recently either, so I'm actually not sure?-Wind-Edit: It doesn't matter now, they seem to all be getting up. Edited by Eragon3443_the Legend

SpecOperations9.jpg

Feel free to friend me!

This is a good idea, I've always wanted this. First off they'd need a director like Michael Bay, Steven Spielberg, as others have said. Then they'd need to keep the director's sense of humor out of it (Look at Transformers 2, the bad jokes were the ONE thing I didn't like about it). And of course hire ILM to do the CGI. Now it (in my opinion) should be about the Voya Nui Saga. The dark tone and everything+an action director's sense of epicness+the bionicle characters we all know and love=EPIC MOVIE. The Voya Nui Saga could be quickly explained in a voiceover (Something about everything being fine, but the Great Spirit was put to sleep and is slowly dying, very simple explanation actually). And VOICES. The four Bionicle movies we've had were with cheesy voices. Mata Nui's was a letdown, Kiina's was... bleh. Vakama's was sort of interesting with the accent and all, sort of a British-Russian hybrid accent. But they need to make the Matoran sound like adults (like the Toa did in the four movies we've had) and then make those larger than Matoran have deep, resonating voices. (The voice acting in the Transformers movies was great, and they really need someone who sounds like Ironhide.)

Pk57sNJ.jpg