Lego City: Undercover

jamesster

LEGO City Stories has undergone a rename, now called LEGO City: Undercover. A trailer for the game, several screenshots, and other media were released today, and boy does it ever look awesome.As said, there's also a trailer for the game that was shown at E3, but I'm not sure which websites that currently are hosting it would be ok to link to here. It's easy enough to find though.From the LEGO Video Games website:

The Chase is On!For the first time, the fan-favorite LEGO City vehicles and play sets come to life in LEGO City: Undercover, exclusively for the new Wii U console. Players assume the identity of Chase McCain, an undercover detective armed with clever disguises. The mission is to put a stop to the fiendish Rex Fury and end his crime wave in LEGO City. As players run, drive and even fly through the city, they’ll use the Wii U controller as a new police gadget.FeaturesThe Wii U controller is woven seamlessly into the gameplay experience. Players use it to scan for hidden clues and criminals, receive mission updates and place waypoints on an overhead city map that displays their position in real time.Experience LEGO City like never before. Encounter familiar play sets come to life as players explore the vast city, looking for clues to bring Rex Fury to justice.Players can go undercover with a variety of disguises including a firefighter, a construction worker and even a robber and use their unique abilities to solve puzzles and access new areas of the city.There are more than 100 vehicles for players to collect and use to explore the city, including sports cars, motorcycles and even aircraft.Players can expect talking minifigures and parody to deliver the game’s storyline.

Edited by jamesster

do_want.gifIt's cool to see a non-license Lego theme get it's own video game, been a while sense they've done that. The dialogue in the trailer was also pretty amusing; Looks as if they're giving the game some sort of main plot.If this turns out to be a Wii U launch title I just might have to buy the system when it comes out. . .

All I can say is this is my favorite LEGO video game ever.In more detail, I love how the characteristics of former LEGO video games tie in to this game, but the new aspects like driving seem awesome. Also, what I saw in the trailer, it looks like it has a very cool but loose story, which is great. I'll most certainly be getting this game, and I will play it to death.Also, I saw somewhere that it was also for the Nintendo 3DS, but haven't seen it since E3 and the rename, so is it still going to be for 3DS and Wii U, or just solely for the Wii U?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Yes, finally a lego game with no license. (Excluding Bionicle)This looks really interesting. The person you play looks like you wield handcuffs. The cars have a nicer design than other games. the other ones just have a general design with recolors. And the jackhammer? WIN. I also noticed the blue crystals in the back of the first pic. Maybe those robbers were trying to steal minerals from the mine? Well whatever it is, I'm looking forward to this game. :)~Gravity

Also, I saw somewhere that it was also for the Nintendo 3DS, but haven't seen it since E3 and the rename, so is it still going to be for 3DS and Wii U, or just solely for the Wii U?

The 3DS logo is shown at the bottom of the game's page on Lego's site, which would lead me to believe it's coming to the 3DS in some form. Nintendo is having a "3DS Software Showcase" tomorrow, so there could be more information on a 3DS version then.

A 3DS version is in the works, but it will have a different storyline and different content then the Wii U version. Like you said, we might get more info on that tomorrow. I hope so, I'm curious to see what it looks like.

Shamelessly copy-pasted from my comment on another site:I haven't been this excited about a LEGO video game in ages. It seems to take the best aspects of LEGO Island, the Travelers Tales games, Clutch Powers and the LEGO City mini-movies, adds a dash of Grand Theft Auto, and blends it all together to create an iconic LEGO experience that appeals to me far more than the stream of LEGO licensed video games ever did. Not to mention the video game references sprinkled throughout which make this one of the most self-aware LEGO games yet. The main things Nintendo showed which caught my attention were this and Scribblenauts Unlimited, and this in particular is the first game that makes me really want to get a Wii U.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I just watched the trailer, and the game actually looks a lot better than I thought it would. It really looks like a fun game! I might get it if I decide to get a Wii U.

Literally the exact same thing here.

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

This looks fantastic. It looks like it´s going to become the best LEGO videogame EVER and it has tempted me to buy a Wii U just for this. :P Seriously, this game is the dream of a LEGO fan. An actual LEGO city with awesome graphics you can interact with? It can´t be better. :)-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
Shamelessly copy-pasted from my comment on another site:I haven't been this excited about a LEGO video game in ages. It seems to take the best aspects of LEGO Island, the Travelers Tales games, Clutch Powers and the LEGO City mini-movies, adds a dash of Grand Theft Auto, and blends it all together to create an iconic LEGO experience that appeals to me far more than the stream of LEGO licensed video games ever did. Not to mention the video game references sprinkled throughout which make this one of the most self-aware LEGO games yet. The main things Nintendo showed which caught my attention were this and Scribblenauts Unlimited, and this in particular is the first game that makes me really want to get a Wii U.
Here's a quick list of all the video game references I found:
  • Two Street Fighter references - the K.O image is from Street Fighter 4, and the move that guy with the shades does just prior to the K.O was the Shoryuken.
  • One Legend of Zelda reference - you can hear the Item Get theme (you know, NU NA NA NAAAAA) right after the K.O image appears.
  • Two (or one, depending on how you look at it) Super Mario Bros. references at the end - McCain assembles a warp pipe and descends into it, just like Mario. You can also hear the warp pipe sound as he does it (you know, BLOT BLOT BLOT).
  • There's a possible Bionic Commando reference when McCain takes out a grappling hook around 30 seconds into the trailer, but I'm not sure about this one.

There was also a Matrix reference a minute and a half or so into the trailer, but that's not a video game. :)

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

There was also a Matrix reference a minute and a half or so into the trailer, but that's not a video game. :)
I lol'ed when I saw someone comment in a video of the reference´s origin saying that it´s a LEGO City: Undercover reference. :PI couldn´t believe my eyes when I saw Chase McCain being hit in a certain body part in the same cutscene. I never thought I´d see that from LEGO. :blink: Then again, after the "Is she hot?" from Jay, it´s not that surprising. :P-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I lol'ed when I saw someone comment in a video of the reference´s origin saying that it´s a LEGO City: Undercover reference. :PI couldn´t believe my eyes when I saw Chase McCain being hit in a certain body part in the same cutscene. I never thought I´d see that from LEGO. :blink: Then again, after the "Is she hot?" from Jay, it´s not that surprising. :P-Gata signoff.jpg
Hey, whatever's effective. Part design 970 is a sensitive area. :P

I think the "Is she hot" line took me by surprise in a :blink: sense, whereas McCain getting hit smack dab in his Part 970 made me lol. :)

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

LEGO City Undercover looks pretty cool. It's the first LEGO game not based on a liscensed theme since BIONICLE Heroes in 2006. It looks like it be rated E10+ from what I've seen.
Not true! Actually, Travellers Tales released both LEGO Battles (based on the Castle, Pirates, and Space themes) and LEGO Battles: Ninjago (based, obviously, on the Ninjago theme) for the Nintendo DS. However, these games were quite different from their licensed cousins. Not only were they exclusively sprite-based, but they functioned more like a real-time strategy game than like the more successful licensed platformers. Not to say they weren't good in their own right, but they certainly weren't what fans of the licensed LEGO games and LEGO's non-licensed themes were craving.

I really wish it was for computer, because now I can't get it :(. Ah well, looks great! I envy any one who can get the Wii U and that game!
same here.

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )