Higgs Boson

iPenguin

So they've finally found what might actually be the higgs boson. If it is, it will be one of the greatest scientific discoveries of not only our time, but all time.I hope for the sake of science, and the reputation of CERN, that they actually did find it. Because if they did, that would be awesome.Also, stephen hawking owes someone $100We can discuss our opinions and stuff in this topic.

Majhost sucks

The Higgs Boson is a particle which we know exists, since we have mathematical proof; they're just looking for physical proof, and this is roughly the fifth time CERN has been thought to have found it.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Here's hoping they actually did find it this time. Would be wonderful.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

"a particle which we know exists, since we have mathematical proof"No. It's a particle which is required to exist according to a widely-accepted mathematical model of the universe. A model doesn't prove anything, it just seeks to explain it.If the Higgs Boson exists, it is only observable at high energy levels. It is - if it exists - the main indicator of the existence of the Higgs Field, which is hypothesized to be the thing that gives everything mass.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Its other name was only given because the name a certain physicist wanted to give it couldn't be published.But no, I rather think you're wrong. People freaked out over neutrinos, and their name isn't anything special.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

From what I understand, put into extremely simplified terms the Higgs Boson would be like if you had a problem like, erm, 5 + x = 10, if x was the Higgs and 10 was our idea of the universe. Horribly simplified, but methinks it gets the point across.I doubt it'd be the greatest discovery of all time; it'd be very cool, yes, and very important, but the greatest discovery of the last ten millennium? I'm not seeing how the Higgs is going do something like revolutionize the world or anything. It'll make a lot of scientists very happy, and it'll seriously help quantum mechanics, but on a larger scale? Not really.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

It wasn't just the scientific community that got excited about that false alarm with neutrinos, JC. Pay more attention.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Physics nowadays seems to be progressing so much more quickly than it was before, it's like the mad rush as everything seems to fit into place.But anyways, apparently the discovery of one form of Higgs boson (and by extension confirmation about possible existence of the rest of them) is going to plug in a lot of holes in the current model of physics. The Higgs boson could even tie into inflation (no not the economic sort) and dark energy, which quite frankly needs to be explained since not knowing what most of the universe must be downright embarrassing to physics.

I doubt it'd be the greatest discovery of all time; it'd be very cool, yes, and very important, but the greatest discovery of the last ten millennium? I'm not seeing how the Higgs is going do something like revolutionize the world or anything. It'll make a lot of scientists very happy, and it'll seriously help quantum mechanics, but on a larger scale? Not really.
One step closer to the transporters in Star Trek, perhaps? :PAnyway, it's a nice discovery.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Transporters would be cool, and knowing what gives the universe mass would be an important stepping stone, but we already have the equations written out for if the Higgs exists, it hasn't given us transporter tech yet :P The way I see it it's the difference between knowing water exists and building a nuclear reactor. Water's kinda a crucial component, but not really the problem, as assuming you didn't know water existed, you could still say, "it'd be really handy if a liquid such as this existed for my reactor".

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Although I only have the general idea of the concept, this is still pretty exciting news for physics and science. However, given how little about particle physics the average person knows, I do agree with ~JC~ about the general media coverage.~B~

if this does in fact end up being the higgs boson, i wonder if the military will get to work creating Petrusite. i also wonder if anyone here will know what that is...

This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

i don't recall them ever officially stating that neutrinos were faster than light. they only stated that their experiments were suggesting it, and that they were going to retry the experiment and check over everything before making any official statement. then they found a loose cable. i don't consider "our machine had a loose cable and gave us a weird result, but we fixed it" to be an embarrassing tale.

This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

I, for one, wouldn't like to use a transporter if it was created - I don't really like the idea of being taken apart and put back together again. :P@BBCCD: I, for one, would be pretty embarrassed if that happened to me.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

i don't recall them ever officially stating that neutrinos were faster than light. they only stated that their experiments were suggesting it, and that they were going to retry the experiment and check over everything before making any official statement. then they found a loose cable. i don't consider "our machine had a loose cable and gave us a weird result, but we fixed it" to be an embarrassing tale.
If you're going to say that you may have found a particle that can travel faster than light and be all, "Ooops, we made a mistake.", I'd be REALLY embarrassed.Mostly because it would contradict a part of the special theory of relativity.

67685335.jpg             

Even though they never said they saw them traveling faster than light. They said "erm, ok, this is odd", someone asked what was odd, they said the instruments were showing faster than light neutrinos, and then it hit the media and everyone was all "THE FUTURE IS HERE". Scientific theories aren't made after one find for exactly that reason, and the physicists there were smart enough to know that. The news media, however, did not.If anyone's to be embarrassed it should be the media.

voidstars.png

I would of added in a snide remark about how it's par for the course for the news media, but I figured it was too political. Probably still is.

Edited by Game Master Alex Humva

voidstars.png

To those comparing this to the neutrino debacle: The neutrino results shouldn't even have made it out of the lab. The Higgs Boson discovery, on the other hand, has a less than 1% chance of being slightly different from the predicted properties of the Higgs, and no chance at all of being a loose wire.

Edited by Cobui

fjRqLk4.jpg

To those comparing this to the neutrino debacle: The neutrino results shouldn't even have made it out of the lab. The Higgs Boson discovery, on the other hand, has a less than 1% chance of being slightly different from the predicted properties of the Higgs, and no chance at all of being a loose wire.
Pretty much, you don't announce something this big if there was a chance it was an equipment failure, considering the scale of this discovery it's not something to be announced lightly. Considering the error margin they've gone to (it's within five standard deviations) this is pretty much it.Anyways I found a simple explanation for how the higgs gives mass for those interestedtumblr_m6r5rqfins1qfiivmo2_1280.png Edited by The Invisible Noob