Mask Shape

Can mask be in ANY shape the Mask Makers want them to be? Because look at the difference between the original Akaku and the ones that Kopaka and Solek wear.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

hmmm. i can't see why not.but if they where crafted into random shapes, that would get confusing.but if they ae crafted in a certain shape, how can they change?note: this makes me think of lhikan's hau. it looked similar, but it was different.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

hmmm. i can't see why not.but if they where crafted into random shapes, that would get confusing.but if they ae crafted in a certain shape, how can they change?note: this makes me think of lhikan's hau. it looked similar, but it was different.
What do you mean by "change"? You mean the Toa Nuva's changed mask shape?As stated above, masks were normally created in specific shapes to tell others what the power was and to avoid confusion.

The change in shape from Toa to Turaga is usually just a result of the mask becoming Noble from Great. Matoran to Toa mask shape change has been a topic of a lot of discussion, since there are only different shapes for Matoran masks in the movies (so the question just becomes "Are movie images more canon than sets/comics?").

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

Noble Masks are usually crafted with a shape distinct from the Great Version. Powerless masks in the shape of Noble masks would become Great Masks in form and function when their Matoran bearers become Toa, and Great Masks take the shape of Noble masks when their power is lowered to Noble-level when Toa become Turaga. I guess mask-makers have a way of determining what a Great mask will look like when it becomes Noble. Unless the Noble shape is a natural effect of the transformation, which seems unlikely to me because the power didn't have any effect on the shape before.As to what you were wondering, SamH, judging by the movies Vakama and the others had powerless Great-shaped masks, but they were smaller and shaped a little different before they became Toa. I don't think that the difference in shape is canon, but it might be. We don't know why Lhikan's Hau was a different shape. Perhaps in his homeland masks are traditionally shaped a little differently, or maybe he wanted his to be unique.

Edited by The Iron Toa

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

Well, masks can be different shapes (for example, the Toa Hagah's masks, they were molded to resemble another mask's shape, with a different power). Another example is Lhikan's Hau, which is either a different form of Tahu's Hau, or in the shape of some other mask, or custom. A lot of it is really Lego's way to use Dume's mask for Norik with a different power.

As to how they pick the right shapes when changing, the simplest theory is that the Matoran/Toa's mind causes the shape just as Greg confirmed it does the Toa shape Matoran take. What they are used to is what they end up becoming, body-wise, so mask-wise this would make sense too.Or possibly destiny learns the standard shapes for each power that maskmakers normally use and applies them in transformation.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I think tahu's hau was the artahka version while lhikan's was a different version, though I'm not sure where I got that from. But yes, masks could be shaped in any way their forger wanted. It's just that most were forged in the way they were because the shapes were better for identification.

Of course they can. It all depends on the Kanoka disks (different, of course, for special masks like the Avohkii) from which they are made.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose any mask could be any shape, with the exception of the masks of Life, Time, and Creation. On second thought, maybe they could, but it would look too dramatic and odd for the wearer to be taken seriously, but still.

I think tahu's hau was the artahka version while lhikan's was a different version, though I'm not sure where I got that from. But yes, masks could be shaped in any way their forger wanted. It's just that most were forged in the way they were because the shapes were better for identification.
Given that Lhikan's mask was created several hundred to thousand years before Tahu's was. It had a different color and style because that was the current fashion(for the lack of a better word). Like how the style in the 1950's is far different from the style of today. You might be arrested in the 1950's for wearing modern day wear for inappropriateness. Something like that.

The_Brotherhood_of_Makuta_by_Arzeron.jpg

Comply. Create. Consume.

Typically, masks retain a certain shape in order to avoid confusion, aside from a few exceptions like the Toa Hagah. Masks have a specific "Great" and "Noble" shape. In the movies, masks also have a specific "Matoran" shape, but in other media they're identical to the Great or Noble incarnations. On Metru Nui, to further clarify, Matoran masks were streaked with silver, and Noble masks were streaked with black. As for your examples, Kopaka's looked different because it had adapted to suit the environment, and Solek's mask was in the shape of a Noble Akaku.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.