Doesn't it remind you of thundercats?

bohrokmaster

Yeah, Arc's probably right. I think people have pointed out the similarities before. ;)

Warring tribes of anthropomorphic animals, Lions/Cats having major prominence in a war against reptiles, etc.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Yeah, Arc's probably right. I think people have pointed out the similarities before. ;)

Warring tribes of anthropomorphic animals, Lions/Cats having major prominence in a war against reptiles, etc.

But Chima still looks like an interesting theme despite all the similarities I will most likely be picking up a couple of system sets and defiantly the buildable action figure sets :)

Edited by AdaptingChaos

It's definitely trying to fit into that same genre, and who can blame LEGO for that? Look at some of the franchises that have recently gotten cartoons: Kung-Fu Panda, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Thundercats (although that one was short-lived), etc. Talking anthropomorphized animal warriors are "in", just as ninja were "in" when Ninjago was first being developed.The similarities between Laval and Lion-O are somewhat apparent, but I think it's mostly a coincidence. If you had a clan of anthropomorphic lions as your main heroic faction, wouldn't you want the one with blazing red hair to be your main character? As for the Lions vs. Crocodiles aspect, some LEGO designers have said that the tribes were decided by what animals the kids in their focus groups thought were coolest. Lions and crocodiles are understandably the main heroes and main villains based on their cultural associations: reptiles like crocodiles as being dangerous, strange, and creepy and lions as being a symbol of nobility and leadership.

• 3 weeks later...

Not in the slightest. Yes, one character is an anthropomorphic cat-like warrior that wears blue. That's the only similarity. They're personalities are nowhere the same, the TV show is in no way similar, and in all honesty I think these things, whatever they are, are more similar to Chima than Thundercats is:

41ixyasVcYL._SS500_.jpg

51BjgFaqwGL._SS500_.jpg'

The only reason that the Thundercats/Chima comparison was put on various forums and websites is that Cartoon Network viewers didn't want another LEGO show and were disappointed that the Thundercats reboot wasn't satisfactory. Notice how Ninjago is elemental people in colorful suits with advanced technology. Power Rangers much? Oh, talking human-like robots? Also a characteristic of Terminator, Transformers, and many other movies, yet it's a characteristic of Hero Factory and Bionicle as well. You can accuse anything of being too similar to another thing if you're vague enough. Anyone who criticizes Chima of being a knock-off of Thundercats is being vague in their accusation.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Every time I look at the Chima sets I can't help but wonder if they were going to have a thundercats line and the license fell through.

Actually, I'm 99% certain that's what happened. One of the guys behind the Thundercats reboot was apparently pretty mad about it a few months ago.

Personally, I don't think the similarities are that extensive, beyond the main character.

(Besides, Thundercats was awesome, and the Chima show is terrible.)

AXKP5KC.png

Wait, the reboot wasn't satisfactory? Really?? I thought it was quite good. I looked forward to every episode. Other people did as well. How is that not satisfactory.

On topic: Anyone who knows Thundercats should see the similarities/rip-offs.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

Wait, the reboot wasn't satisfactory? Really?? I thought it was quite good. I looked forward to every episode. Other people did as well. How is that not satisfactory.

On topic: Anyone who knows Thundercats should see the similarities/rip-offs.

Watch where you throw the word "rip-off" around. By that logic, Adventurers was a rip-off of Indiana Jones, Fantasy-era Castle was a rip-off of Lord of the Rings, and Alien Conquest was a rip-off of War of the Worlds. There's a difference between a rip-off and an homage, and Chima seems like no less of one than those other themes. Thundercats (and similar shows from the '80s era) have generated enough nostalgia to become classics in their own right, but with that comes the understanding that other works may attempt to put their own spin on the concept.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The similarities between Laval and Lion-O are somewhat apparent, but I think it's mostly a coincidence.

Actually, Laval was most likely intentionally designed to be similar to Lion-O.

Um, can you actually provide any logic for this? From where I'm standing, a lion (popular warrior animal) with blazing red hair (I can only think of a few fictional warrior lions who don't have this kind of mane) who wears blue (the color Lego uses a whole lot in any theme) is a very likely occurrence in a theme like Chima.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.