Is Teridax an cool dude?

polip

Seriously, how? So, I read the story, so maybe I know it very roughly, but if Teridax's plan was to get Mata Nui's body, he did know that he needed to take care of the inhabitants of that body to stay alive?what's the sense of taking control of that body and then enslave them?I mean, let's pretend that they kept mantaining and fixing him because killing Teridax's body would have killed them too...but treating them like slaves does not seem to be such a good idea if you want to stay alive...It is like I start poisoning myself and expecting my cells to do their best to save me! only because he has to play the role of the bad guy, it does not mean he has to be completely dumb..

P.s.:sorry i did not know that the word i-d-i-o-t could not be used, and it automatically changed it with "cool dude"

Edited by polip

Like Mata Nui had the Matoran and Toa to keep his body functioning, even though Teridax had killed off all the other Makuta (save Miserix), he still had the entirety of the Brotherhood of Makuta's forces at his disposal, including a huge number of Rahkshi, Exo-Toa, and Visorak. In fact, in chapter 8 of Journey's End it's mentioned Teridax uses Visorak to repair his body:

His readouts indicated a molten protodermis pipeline had been severed inside him, causing cascading failures in his systems. Visorak spiders had already been dispatched to try to contain the damage.

I think it's quite simple, honestly. Yeah, he wanted to control everyone in the MU. As his slaves, he'd force them to do what was needed to maintain the GSR, in addition to who knows what else. As far as keeping the robot intact goes, it doesn't require them to be working willingly for it to be effective. ;)

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

In a sense yes. All evil is stupid to some extent or another; that's what evil is all about, being stupid in ways that hurt others. And for Teridax it took the form of a lifelong obsession with tricking good people into adoring him while grabbing for more and more power. It's actually a very common trait of tyrants.

He also should have looked up. :P

But in general terms of intelligence, no. He really was a mastermind, and it was very difficult to defeat him, especially because of his strategy of using what his enemies thought were victories as the very steps of his Plan. He was by no means doomed no matter what because of his 'weakness' -- if his enemies had given up a bit before that point, he would have flown away while Spherus Magna and Mata Nui fell into a black hole, and probably he would have been essentially unstoppable at the point, regardless of the tiny amount of remaining opposition inside him.

Keep in mind that he didn't rely on good guys for policing his insides then; he made all those Rahkshi, Exo-Toa, etc. serve his will, enforcing order. Plus he did just about the opposite of Mata Nui; the Great Spirit didn't pay attention to his insides but Teridax seemed to enjoy the game of hunting them down with his incredibly unfair powers. And I think, being a Makuta, he felt that he was still untouchable, even if hypothetically the robot itself got significantly damaged by their sabotage.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

oh well I did not know makuta's servants were able to repair him, that's a good point. I thought they had an intelligence slightly bigger than a Rahi and could not figure how they could mantain a giant robot

They likely have a large number of fully sapient servants from a variety of species, similar to the ranks of the Dark Hunters (probably including some Steltians, Vortixx, and maybe a Skakdi or two). But Visorak are also smart enough to make delicate webs, remember, so it makes sense they might be able to handle many things. Exo-Toa are robots themselves, so you'd think they could be great matches for the job, maybe with some modification of the hands and some new programming.

Rahkshi are notoriously bad at things, but my main point in bringing them up was not that they could do repairs themselves per se but oversee forced labor by good guys or neutrals, or even supposedly loyal people, and if they tried anything, get swiftly punished or killed. That can work with all the other servants too, though perhaps none so reliably loyal.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Most beings inside the robot, should they have been faced with death, would have probably gone along. It takes a lot of courage among a lot of numbers to sustain a revolt that requires the amount of sacrifice the Matoran were faced with.

Theoretically, the Matoran/Toa inside could have revolted and possibly even taken control from Teridax, but they didn't know about the Glatorian pilot "override" in the Core Processor, and Teridax could have just destroyed it.

Or the GBs could have invented something else to stop him, but what? At that point, they would have likely considered themselves failures and given up. The dude was a genius.

Edited by fishers64

I think Teridax had some idea what he was doing. Don't forget that his ultimate goal is not just to control Mata Nui's body, but to control the Matoran as well. And he has the means to do so. Sure, after his takeover there was a lot of dissent. But as far as Teridax was concerned, with the full power of Mata Nui at his disposal it would not take too long to crush any uprisings and intimidate the remaining Matoran into obedience.

Was he right? Probably not. The Matoran have always been stronger in spirit than he was able to recognize. He probably didn't expect that they'd be able to resist him for 1,000 years when they were separated from their universe and forced to survive in the much less technologically advanced society of the island of Mata Nui, but they managed that just fine. Still, it wasn't stupidity on his part that led him to believe this time would be different. The odds this time were very definitely in his favor. The Great Spirit, the entity who had given the Matoran a sense of hope for so many years, was removed from the equation. All the resources of the Matoran Universe were his to command. And the Toa were still reeling from a disaster that they had unknowingly helped to bring about.

So no, Makuta wasn't stupid. He knew the Matoran well enough to anticipate some level of resistance. But in his twisted frame of mind, he was as prepared as he could ever be for that eventuality.

Poor Tren Krom is still single, though.

Which is just as well. Less heartbroken girls to cry watery gelatin at his grave. :P

Frankly, Teridax did a bad job of treating his female fanbase - the only ones he managed to attract were Roodaka (rejected her for incompetence), Helryx (forced her to stick around, and then she tried to kill him, and then she got shot into outer space), and Gorast (killed by energy storm).

TSO had more class in this regard - Varian was kept in stasis forever, and Lariska got a temporary leadership role.

None of this displays lack of forethought or lack of intelligence by either. Roodaka was too much of a schemer to be a good pawn for very long, it was a good idea to keep Helryx, a main enemy, close in view, and Gorast was useful...up to a point.

TSO's style was different - he used opportunity and knowledge of his people to run his band, which explains why Lariska was treated differently.

Makuta was smart character blinded by character flaws. He wasn't dumb.

Edited by Rhaegar Targaryen
I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur