49981861863_3441dc963f_z.jpg

Flickr album

My entry to TTV's BIONICLE Canon Contest 1: The First, in which participants build Helryx. As the first ever Toa, Helryx may lack polish, but she's built to get the job done.

I imagine early Toa, such as the Toa Mata, were designed with a particular fighting style in mind. Later Toa have more refined frames well suited to a variety of fighting styles. Going with this idea, I made Helryx asymmetrical to fit her equipment. Helryx's large weapon arm lets her deal strong blows with her mace. The shoulder and knee armor on her mace side protect her when she swings. Helryx's other side features lighter armor since her large shield covers it. Even her shield is asymmetrical for a reason; it tapers toward the bottom, exposing Helryx's leg so she can quickly advance with her shield up.

Feedback much appreciated!

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 8:46 PM, Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva) said:

Ooh, that's a pretty unique look!  I like it.

On 6/8/2020 at 10:04 AM, Laval- Master of Energy said:

She certainly looks like one would expect a Toa prototype to. Nice work!

Thank you! I was going for the slightly off, prototype look, glad it came through!

There's definitely a very experimental look to her, yeah- all those exposed rods, the tubes, the odd proportions.  There's a really strong sense of her being a work in progress, which fits both her status as the First Toa and her extreme age.  Kinda makes me think of some of my oldest attempts at MoCs, except where those were janky because I didn't have a good sense of aesthetics, this design seems purposeful, and so despite it all your Helryx still comes off as having some elegance to her.

(Can you tell that I'm more awake now than when I wrote my first review?  =P )

• Like 1

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )