Interesting Facts Topic

JAG18

"The Exorcist", "The Amityville Horror", "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", "The Conjuring", and "The Blair Witch Trial" are films rumored or marketed as being based on true stories, but at least three have been proven to be purely fictional.

it's The Blair Witch Project, not The Blair Witch Trial.

also, just to elaborate so people know which films are fiction and which are supposedly based on fact: The Exorcist, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, and The Blair Witch Project were indeed marketed as being based on true stories, but were pure works of fiction only taking bits and pieces of inspiration from various events and urban legends. The Amityville Horror and The Conjuring, however, were based on real people and adapted from reports of alleged hauntings.

incidentally, both films are based on hauntings investigated by Ed and Lorraine Warren, though only The Conjuring actually features them as characters.

Dang it, forgot the last part, thanks for that.

I actually meant withholding some of the info about the veracity of those films as a bit of a joke to keep people wondering, which were and weren't real, but hey if you want turn it into an educational moment that's great. :P

What I know about the "real" stories behind these films:

"Texas Chainsaw Massacre" is based on two real events, an actual murder by a serial killer and a fantasy that the writer/director had when he was waiting in a long line at Home Depot. He looked over at the chainsaws and thought to himself, "Hey I know how I can get out of here fast."

"The Amityville Horror", I think has been pretty well established as a movie that is very far removed from the facts (most of which it seems were pretty embellished to begin with).

"The Blair Witch Project" is almost purely fiction, without any basis in fact.

"The Exorcist" film is based on a book, which is based on another book, which is mostly just a collection of newspaper articles that covered the "real" story as it happened.

"The Conjuring" I have absolutely nothing to say about, other than what you mentioned.

Edited by JAG18

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The human soul weighs about 21 grams.

that's not a fact.

you're right. But he's citing a misinterpreted and poorly reasoned experiment. A human body after death is laid out for a few days. The initial weight and the weight taken after the few days had a median of about 21 grams. Forgetting the fact that some of the material within us evaporates or decomposes, the experimenter assumed it was the "soul".

Time is my frenemy. So is money.
May the classics never die and may the future find a new set of Toa.

BZPRPG Character

Why is it that the word "bass" (long 'a') when referring to music is pronounced differently than a "bass" (short 'a') fish?

Well, the long 'a' "bass" comes from the Latin 'basus', meaning 'low' or 'down'. The short 'a' bass comes from some Italian word. They have totally different roots, but when they were incorporated into English, some letters were dropped, leaving only 'bass' in both words.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House--which began 150 years ago today--Union General John Sedgwick was killed by a sniper, while trying to bolster his frightened troops. Sedgwick's last words were, "They couldn't shoot an elephant at this distance!"

Edited by JAG18
  • Upvote 3

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

At least four popes were the sons of priests, and at least two were the sons of other popes.

Correct.

Four Popes were of the Medici Family, the most powerful family during the Renaissance. The most famous Medici Popes were Pope Leo X and Clement the VII. Leo X had an illegitimate son named Alessandro who went on to become the Duke of Tuscany.

One of the most famous and most recognizable logos, the I Love New York logo, was done pro bono by designer Milton Glaser and is the most borrowed design in the world.

Anatoli Petrovich Bugorski, a Russian Physicist, was the only person to have a particle accelerator fire a beam of high-energy protons through his head. The beam struck and burned face, bone, and brain tissue. He survived, but half of his face swelled up and became paralyzed. He claimed he saw a light "brighter than a thousand suns," but didn't feel any pain.

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

Ok, here goes:

Humans and elephants are the only creatures that have a chin.

Anatoli Petrovich Bugorski, a Russian Physicist, was the only person to have a particle accelerator fire a beam of high-energy protons through his head. The beam struck and burned face, bone, and brain tissue. He survived, but half of his face swelled up and became paralyzed. He claimed he saw a light "brighter than a thousand suns," but didn't feel any pain.

Woah, trippy...

that's not a fact.

you're right. But he's citing a misinterpreted and poorly reasoned experiment. A human body after death is laid out for a few days. The initial weight and the weight taken after the few days had a median of about 21 grams. Forgetting the fact that some of the material within us evaporates or decomposes, the experimenter assumed it was the "soul".

Oh. My. God. What the- ? Since when is an "experimenter" a legit source of knowledge anyway? Aww, darn just found out it was a docter. What docter... I don't even.

Edited by Oroki

banner1.png

that's not a fact.

not only was it misinterpreted and poorly-reasoned, but it was also just a failure of an experiment - he only did six tests which isn't nearly enough to prove anything, and out of those six tests two of them had to be discarded and the other four showed wildly inconsistent results. two showed gradual weight loss over time, another showed immediate loss of weight, and still another showed loss of weight followed by gaining it back and then losing it again.

also, Dr. Duncan MacDougall, who performed the experiment, wasn't even sure of the exact time of death in every instance which makes his results even less credible, as if they weren't already ridiculous enough.

it was a farce of an experiment that didn't even come close to meeting scientific standards and it's shocking how many people have taken it at face value and accepted it to be true.

Schrödinger's cat is an experiment where a random event (the decay of an atom) can trigger the death of a cat in a box. Since we have no idea if the atom decays or not, we can not tell if the cat is either dead or alive. Events like this happen all the time on the quantum level, called superpositioning, meaning that both events happen simultaneously. If the cat is in a superposition, it can be said to be both dead and alive at the same time, until you open the box. There is many interpretations of this, but personally I believe that quantum decoherence would decide the fate of the cat long before the box is opened.

If you can't tell, I have a bunch of weird science facts.

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

Ok, here goes:

Woah, trippy...

that's not a fact.

Oh. My. God. What the- ? Since when is an "experimenter" a legit source of knowledge anyway? Aww, *@!# just found out it was a docter. What docter... I don't even.

Experimentation is the foundation of science. also, *doctor.

Time is my frenemy. So is money.
May the classics never die and may the future find a new set of Toa.

BZPRPG Character

Haha. That's pretty interesting.

Turtles do something called cloacal breathing, where they intake water and extract the air from it in their cloaca. Scary stuff. Haha

The flow of time is always cruel... its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that does not change with time is a memory of younger days...

Ok, here goes:

Woah, trippy...

that's not a fact.

Oh. My. God. What the- ? Since when is an "experimenter" a legit source of knowledge anyway? Aww, darn just found out it was a docter. What docter... I don't even.

Not just experimentation, but experimentation and drawing valid conclusions. But the fact that he's an actual doctor makes it worse

This is a warped way of drawing conlusions that somehow slipped into science: I have a spider. When I screaam near it, it always runs away. Now I tear off its legs (sorry, animal lovers). I scream near it again. It won't run away. Therefore a spider's ears must be on it's legs.

Obviously, the spider just couldn't run away because it needs its legs to run away.

... So to stay on topic, the fun fact: even scientists of today draw lousy conclusions. It's a serious problem, right now, so watch out for that.

• Upvote 1

banner1.png

Ok, here goes:

Woah, trippy...

that's not a fact.

Oh. My. God. What the- ? Since when is an "experimenter" a legit source of knowledge anyway? Aww, darn just found out it was a docter. What docter... I don't even.

Not just experimentation, but experimentation and drawing valid conclusions. But the fact that he's an actual doctor makes it worse

This is a warped way of drawing conlusions that somehow slipped into science: I have a spider. When I screaam near it, it always runs away. Now I tear off its legs (sorry, animal lovers). I scream near it again. It won't run away. Therefore a spider's ears must be on it's legs.

Obviously, the spider just couldn't run away because it needs its legs to run away.

... So to stay on topic, the fun fact: even scientists of today draw lousy conclusions. It's a serious problem, right now, so watch out for that.

Okay, I'm sorry I mentioned that soul thing back there!

mindeth the cobwebs

The survival-horror shooter Left 4 Dead was surprisingly well-received in Japan; thus, this:

ootyrxmp7gx4dnrwsxsh.jpg

The Japanese arcade version is somewhat different from its western console counterpart, with a different setting and protagonists, but the gameplay is exactly the same.

Morally unambiguous.

• 2 weeks later...

Aiden Gillen, who played the CIA Agent in "The Dark Knight Rises", is actually taller than Tom Hardy, who played Bane. Still, he calls Bane a "big guy".

Why is it that the word "bass" (long 'a') when referring to music is pronounced differently than a "bass" (short 'a') fish?

Well, the long 'a' "bass" comes from the Latin 'basus', meaning 'low' or 'down'. The short 'a' bass comes from some Italian word. They have totally different roots, but when they were incorporated into English, some letters were dropped, leaving only 'bass' in both words.

Dang, finally explained.

My Comedies: The Krika Show (Season 1)
The Krika Show Season 2 

Super Sentai started out as just Sentai, with Gorenger and J.A.K.Q

J.A.K.Q failed, due to its serious nature when compared to the popular Gorenger.

Later on, Spider man (1987, I believe) had giant robots in it, inspiring Battle Fever J, which rebooted the Sentai series as Super sentai.

Looks like it's the end of the line for 21.

• 3 weeks later...

Schrödinger's cat is an experiment where a random event (the decay of an atom) can trigger the death of a cat in a box. Since we have no idea if the atom decays or not, we can not tell if the cat is either dead or alive. Events like this happen all the time on the quantum level, called superpositioning, meaning that both events happen simultaneously. If the cat is in a superposition, it can be said to be both dead and alive at the same time, until you open the box. There is many interpretations of this, but personally I believe that quantum decoherence would decide the fate of the cat long before the box is opened.

If you can't tell, I have a bunch of weird science facts.

The Schrödinger's Cat thought experiment was actually intended to showcase the absurdity of quantum superposition, but ironically ended up being the most well-known analogy for it.

Edited by Cadmium Kyogre P~M

banner.jpg

No known oath exists for the White Lantern Corps.

The Creeper was actually created by a designing error in making a pig.

Final Fantasy was called so because it was going to be the developer's last game.

There is now an oath for them, but it still isn't as cool as the Black Lantern's or Blue Lantern's in my opinion.

Anyway, before going with the name "Bionicle", Lego used the names Dooheads, Voodooheads, and even Boneheads of Voodoo island

Add me on Steam!: Bionicdeadpool Productions TTV: Bionicdeadpool Twitter: Avenging_Odin

FatherlyDismalIberianmidwifetoad.gif

The Audio play Doctor and the Pirates was originally supposed to be release no.42, but got bumped up to 43. It could've been the meaning of life... ;_;

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

Disney owns ABC, ESPN, Marvel, Lucasarts, part of Hulu and A&E, and used to own or partially own lots of other stuff and divisions of stuff. Also, by that logic, Princess Leia is now a Disney princess.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

Disney owns ABC, ESPN, Marvel, Lucasarts, part of Hulu and A&E, and used to own or partially own lots of other stuff and divisions of stuff. Also, by that logic, Princess Leia is now a Disney princess.

ESPN is actually Disney's largest source of revenue (including all of their TV channels, the magazine, website and other media).

(Source:  Met the managing editor of ESPN.com about a year ago, and he liked bragging about this.)

- BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

The first usage of the term "hacking" in regards to computer came from a group of remote control model train users. The group wanted remote control equipment for their trains but couldn't get any and instead received old radio parts. So they modified them into actual remote control parts and thus the term was born.

Edited by Sundowner
  • Upvote 1

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

Actually, I thought it was the second Elder Scrolls.

Every single "discrepancy" conspiracy theorists find in moon landing photos is explainable, they just don't listen to logic.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

Nah, it's referring to finite maps completely built by the devs.

In terms of maps that have the least stuff in them, Space Engineers probably wins, since one scenario starts with one small ship, a few asteroids, and bunches and bunches of empty space.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

The loading bar that fills up as the webpage loads or the computer finishes a task means absolutely nothing. You could remove them and your computer would still work perfectly fine. These were added after numerous computer tests were cut short due to a scientist rebooting computer because it didn't seem to work. In order to fix this the bars were added so that people would know something was happening on the computer.

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb