Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

I think it's already a forgone conclusion for the majority of the community here that Bionicle will be making its long-awaited return. The only thinking we don't actually have is genuine confirmation from Lego itself. This is actually kind of annoying me, to be honest, because I think Lego has an obligation to its community to address these rumours in some way or another.

If the original leaked image really did come from within Lego, then surely they would have done something to stop it from happening again. Except it has happened again. For me, this means that Lego is letting these images be leaked, perhaps to get an idea of what the community response may be. 

• Upvote 1

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I think it's already a forgone conclusion for the majority of the community here that Bionicle will be making its long-awaited return. The only thinking we don't actually have is genuine confirmation from Lego itself. This is actually kind of annoying me, to be honest, because I think Lego has an obligation to its community to address these rumours in some way or another.

If the original leaked image really did come from within Lego, then surely they would have done something to stop it from happening again. Except it has happened again. For me, this means that Lego is letting these images be leaked, perhaps to get an idea of what the community response may be. 

I think it will be announced with the rest of the new 2015 lines.

Bionicle for 2015.

How long until that happens?

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Well I remember it being around October when the next year sets are revealed so probably around then, if not a little before due to it being such a big deal.

Bionicle for 2015.

People make claims like that every time a leak happens, and it's not true at all. The truth is there's not much the LEGO Group can do to prevent leaks. The LEGO Group needs to send images to business partners, external contractors, and retailers in order to launch any new product. So yes, the images are being intentionally released — but they're not supposed to be released to the public.

That only happens when one of those contractors, business partners, or retailers happens to have an employee with ties to the LEGO fan community and shares the image with them. And unless the employee who broke their non-disclosure agreement and showed the image to the public can be identified, it's not like the LEGO Group or their direct employer can stop them from doing it again.

Could be months. If they wanted it to get a lot of media attention, New York Comic-Con in October would be one possible option for them. Or they could just put a teaser in the November–December magazine like they often have done in the past. Or upload a teaser site like they did back before LEGO Ninjago came out.

There's a good chance we'll get more leaked info long before we get any official info. So the staff are probably going to be busy editing out info that could get the site in trouble for quite a while...

• Upvote 1

People make claims like that every time a leak happens, and it's not true at all. The truth is there's not much the LEGO Group can do to prevent leaks. The LEGO Group needs to send images to business partners, external contractors, and retailers in order to launch any new product. So yes, the images are being intentionally released — but they're not supposed to be released to the public.

That only happens when one of those contractors, business partners, or retailers happens to have an employee with ties to the LEGO fan community and shares the image with them. And unless the employee who broke their non-disclosure agreement and showed the image to the public can be identified, it's not like the LEGO Group or their direct employer can stop them from doing it again.

Okay, I didn't realise that. I was working under the assumption that all of these images were leaked by the same person. After the first wave of images came out, I remember reading a few posts on this topic from people who claimed they knew the person behind the leaks, so I assumed that Lego must know who they were as well. On the plus side, if there really is nothing Lego can do to stop it from happening, it means that, just like you said, we'll probably be seeing more leaked images before any kind of official announcement. Yay!

Edited by NatoGreavesy

Could be months. If they wanted it to get a lot of media attention, New York Comic-Con in October would be one possible option for them. Or they could just put a teaser in the November–December magazine like they often have done in the past. Or upload a teaser site like they did back before LEGO Ninjago came out.

There's a good chance we'll get more leaked info long before we get any official info. So the staff are probably going to be busy editing out info that could get the site in trouble for quite a while...

I'm assuming the magazine you are talking about is the Lego Club magazine?

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

Alright, guys. Sorry if I'm being a buzzkill here, but IMO, if Bionicle were to come back, LEGO would maybe probobly mess up pretty badly. You see, back in 2000 (or was it 2001?), LEGO was desperate. Very desperate. But that's what made bionicle great (or at least the first year great). LEGO put so much effort into Bionicle back then to save the company, and I just can't see them doing the same now. I mean, the sets would most likely use the same HF system, and the masks would just fit on like helmets. Now don't get me wrong, I would love Bionicle to come back, but lets face it. Unless LEGO is considering filing for bankruptcy in the near future, we're not gonna get a theme with as much effort put into it.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

What makes you think a company needs to be desperate to succeed?

Look at Ninjago, Chima and every one of Lego's other good themes. They were good, and I'm sure Lego was turning profits back then.

So why do you think Bionicle would be bad now? Think about it. Now that it's coming back, do you think they want to alienate the most reliable consumers of the toys: the old fans? Of course not. They'll have thought about this long and hard, and would put in just as much, if not more, effort into the new series.

They're a company, and they will do their best not to hurt profits.

Look at Ninjago, Chima and every one of Lego's other good themes. They were good, and I'm sure Lego was turning profits back then.

So why do you think Bionicle would be bad now? Think about it. Now that it's coming back, do you think they want to alienate the most reliable consumers of the toys: the old fans? Of course not. They'll have thought about this long and hard, and would put in just as much, if not more, effort into the new series.

Yeah, those themes are "good", but I would argue that Bionicle qualified as "great". No other theme that I know of has lasted a decade, and has had such an in-depth, complex and meaningful storyline to it. Bionicle was unique. 

I doubt it was because they were desperate, at any rate. They had learned from Slizers, Throwbots, etc. And had good people on the development team that changed in from Voodoo Heads to Bionicle.

At any rate, I really doubt that the desperation was what drove them. It gave them the idea of creating original stories and sets, but it did not directly cause Bionicle.

"Desperate men make mistakes", and Bionicle sure wasn't a mistake.

Yeah, I never said desperation did. I simply said that Bionicle's greatness was not solely from desperation. I was refuting veeder's point above when he said that it did.

Sorry, yeah, I was trying to make a similar point, but I guess it didn't come across so well. What I meant was that because Bionicle did turn out so well, and wasn't a mess like one would normally expect of a rushed, desperate theme, that it wasn't a result of mere desperation. 

I know that some people see this as a reboot, which I think is highly unlikely, but I think they might try to emulate the "mystery" of 2001. That's why nothing official came at Comic-Con-other sets for 2015 were announced, but not Bionicle. In 2001, there was next to nothing advertising Bionicle, even during 2001. There were a few cryptic commercials and the MNOLG, that's it.

Just think about that. It's be cool. You're watching TV and all the sudden you see that classic '01 Bionicle intro used in all the Toa Mata videos. And then Tahu Master Fire comes in, riding on his lavaboard, fire sword held high, then it just cuts off. "Relive the legend at Bionicle.com".

sig.jpg

I know that some people see this as a reboot, which I think is highly unlikely, but I think they might try to emulate the "mystery" of 2001. That's why nothing official came at Comic-Con-other sets for 2015 were announced, but not Bionicle. In 2001, there was next to nothing advertising Bionicle, even during 2001. There were a few cryptic commercials and the MNOLG, that's it.

Just think about that. It's be cool. You're watching TV and all the sudden you see that classic '01 Bionicle intro used in all the Toa Mata videos. And then Tahu Master Fire comes in, riding on his lavaboard, fire sword held high, then it just cuts off. "Relive the legend at Bionicle.com".

Well, Lego doesn't always go out of its way to advertise new themes, which might have been why it was barely advertised in 2001? But that TV idea is awesome. I'd love it if that happened. All aboard, the hype train is leaving the station! 

Greg's answer to someone on LMB:

There seems to be some misunderstanding about my answer. Let me clarify:

1) Back when we were doing BIONICLE comics, they were on the same production schedule as the magazine. So when I say we are working on the first issue for 2015, I am referring to LEGO Magazine and LEGO Club Jr. magazine.

2) We are not currently working on a BIONICLE comic.

Hm.........

Doesn't really disprove anything, but still something to keep in mind.

Edited by toa kopaka4372

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Next to nothing? Back in 2001 there were Toys 'R' Us promotional events, not to mention a TRUCK TOUR. And then the very next year you had a Bohrok ad in Times Square of all places. They included full comic books with the 2001 LEGO Mania Magazines (something that I don't think they had ever done for any other theme), released a music CD, and invested heavily in the website for the theme. Have you ever checked out the Throwbots or Roboriders websites on archive.org? They're pitiful compared to what the BIONICLE website had to offer even in 2001.

The LEGO Group may not have advertised BIONICLE all over the place right away, but they certainly weren't deliberately keeping things low-key. The LEGO Group hardly advertised any of their themes back then to the same degree that they advertise so many of their themes today. I expect to see a considerable promotional push with the new BIONICLE.

• Upvote 4

1) Back when we were doing BIONICLE comics, they were on the same production schedule as the magazine. So when I say we are working on the first issue for 2015, I am referring to LEGO Magazine and LEGO Club Jr. magazine.

Hm.........

so in other words, I was right all along and people overreacted?

• Upvote 1

Next to nothing? Back in 2001 there were Toys 'R' Us promotional events, not to mention a TRUCK TOUR. And then the very next year you had a Bohrok ad in Times Square of all places. They included full comic books with the 2001 LEGO Mania Magazines (something that I don't think they had ever done for any other theme), released a music CD, and invested heavily in the website for the theme. Have you ever checked out the Throwbots or Roboriders websites on archive.org? They're pitiful compared to what the BIONICLE website had to offer even in 2001.

The LEGO Group may not have advertised BIONICLE all over the place right away, but they certainly weren't deliberately keeping things low-key. The LEGO Group hardly advertised any of their themes back then to the same degree that they advertise so many of their themes today. I expect to see a considerable promotional push with the new BIONICLE.

Yeah. I was referring too the first half of 2001, before the Toa sets were released. When it was just Rahi and turaga. But after the Toa were released, that was when it all started. My fault for not wording things correctly.

sig.jpg

Well no.

Greg's wording suspiciously scoots around whether or not Bionicle will he returning, as seen in his answer to the second question.

I didn't mean that BIONICLE wasn't returning, merely that he was only referring to issue one of the magazine, which was the position I took from the start.

Everyone is reading far too closely into everything he says as if someone who has been in the business for over a decade, a sizeable chunk of which was spent answering questions from fans eager to get secrets out of him, would be leaking like a bad faucet just because some internet teens asked some pointed questions.

• Upvote 2

Everyone is reading far too closely into everything he says as if someone who has been in the business for over a decade, a sizeable chunk of which was spent answering questions from fans eager to get secrets out of him, would be leaking like a bad faucet just because some internet teens asked some pointed questions.

Though if we can be honest, this really reminds me of Storyline & Theories back when Bionicle was still concurrent. Almost makes me nostalgic.

• Upvote 5

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

To be fair, anyone who assumes he leaked only assumed that one instance. And as of now, people who want official validation or refutation of Bionicle's return can only look to hoping for a GregF leak.

Of course, an official statement from the Lego Group is best, but at this point most of the excited fans are scrutinising anything for clues.

Allright, I see both your and Norik Of Celtania's points. Maybe Lego wasn't desperate.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Hm.........

Actually, this is one of the most concrete statements we've gotten on the subject. We now know that Bionicle's return isn't launching with an accompanying comic, or at least, Greg and the rest of the Lego Club Magazine team are not involved on one. The lack of a comic makes me think that a TV series or similar media push is more likely. I can't imagine the theme returning without any form of visual storytelling.

Could it be released at brick fair? thats comming up.

A Brickfair reveal? When Comic-Con was RIGHT THERE and ripe for the reveal, where it would hit a phenomenally larger amount of people? I highly doubt they shirked a Comic-Con reveal just to do it at a smaller niche convention.

Yeah, we're not going to see a BrickFair reveal. BrickFair, unlike SDCC, doesn't attract press to nearly the same extent. The only reveals ever done at BrickFair are Direct to Consumer products like the Winter Village sets, which are more relevant to AFOLs than to retailers or the general media. Moreover, from what I can tell, the only Lego representative attending BrickFair this year is Peter Espersen, who is involved with co-created products like Lego Ideas. Kevin Hinkle's not even going to be there, so I don't know if we can even expect ANY product reveal this year.

If Bionicle gets an early reveal this year it's either going to be done via a press release or magazine teaser, or at another large-scale media event like New York Comic Con.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Yeah, a Brickfair reveal is tremendously unlikely. The only sets they tend to reveal at AFOL conventions are sets that are largely geared towards AFOLs, like Creator Expert sets and other exclusives. And I don't even know whether we can expect one of those just yet since it'd be right on the heels of the Tumbler reveal.

If anything gets revealed at Brickfair Virginia this year, I have a feeling it'll be this year's Winter Village set.

Chances are, if the LEGO Group wants to make the reveal at a big pop culture event, it'll be at New York Comic-Con in October. Otherwise, we can probably expect them to release the usual teasers sometime between October and December, either online or in the November–December issue of LEGO Club Magazine.

Edited by Aanchir

Greg's reply : 'We are working on the first issues of LEGO Magazine and LEGO Club Jr. magazine for 2015 now. We are NOT working on a BIONICLE comic for 2015.'

Source : https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/td-p/6605180/page/376

Ah well...

Greg wouldn't lie through his teeth. So either Bionicle isn't coming back, or it is and it won't have comics. Both of which would be disappointing. Time to turn down the hype levels, folks.

...Or they are just not working on Bionicle comics now.

...Or Lego is working on Bionicle comics, but his team (the 'we') aren't involved.

• Upvote 1

Greg's reply : 'We are working on the first issues of LEGO Magazine and LEGO Club Jr. magazine for 2015 now. We are NOT working on a BIONICLE comic for 2015.'

Source : https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/td-p/6605180/page/376

Ah well...

Greg wouldn't lie through his teeth. So either Bionicle isn't coming back, or it is and it won't have comics. Both of which would be disappointing. Time to turn down the hype levels, folks.

...Or they are just not working on Bionicle comics now.

...Or Lego is working on Bionicle comics, but his team (the 'we') aren't involved.

At the risk of pushing it, he did say "we are not working on a Bionicle comic currently"

So he did not say there is no Bionicle comic in progress, he just said his team is not working on a Bionicle comic at the momment. So he wouldn't be lying if he...

-Isn't working on a comic but another team is.

-Hasn't started the new comics

or my favorite

-Has already completed all the comics for next year.

• Upvote 1

Bionicle for 2015.

At the risk of pushing it, he did say "we are not working on a Bionicle comic currently"

So he did not say there is no Bionicle comic in progress, he just said his team is not working on a Bionicle comic at the momment. So he wouldn't be lying if he...

or my favorite

How long does it take to make a comic? They wouldn't need 5 months to make one, right? I always assumed they worked on them about three months before release...

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

or my favorite

How long does it take to make a comic? They wouldn't need 5 months to make one, right? I always assumed they worked on them about three months before release...

Hmm not sure how long, he said a year before.

Bionicle for 2015.

This could have some significance. It's not a post by Greg, but I will be looking eagerly for what he says about it.

https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/10665945/highlight/true#M245505

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

coolcab1 wrote:

Hi Greg I have one more question

1) are the Great Beings just gonna stay hidden and also can a Great Being be killed

Thanks for answering wink.png

1) At this point, the original story is not moving forward, so yes

2) Yes

Whatever it is, it won't be a direct continuation. Whew. :P

I still have have serious doubts. All these weasel-y posts are not convincing me. 

I for one am registering myself as hopeful, but not entirely convinced that BIONICLE will return.

The law of critical failures states: Anything with an element of chance can go disastrously wrong.

Even if our evidence--which our rules forbid us to discuss--DOES prove that LEGO currently plans to release BIONICLE again in 2015, there could be any number of things that could cause LEGO to delay or cancel BIONICLE's return. Given the amount of unknown information, we can't really say that BIONICLE will return in 2015. LEGO might be planning a re-release now, but they could change their minds.

We have too little data with which to work.

For some reason, I'm imagining GregF as an Aes Sedai right now...

weird

But, if we think of him similarly, that would make us consider the other possibilities to that disproving-seeming comment he made on the LMB, as others have done.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)