Poll: 2015: The End of Hero Factory?

Incoming Demise?  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1. Hero Factory is going to burn.

2. As the Mayor said in the Lorax: "Let it die, let it die! Let it shrivel up and die!"

HF was so wrong!! First of all, it had no ability to finish a dang cliffhanger. It's been 2 seasons and we still don't know anything more about the stolen plans (insert rage here). Stringer and Bulk were dropped, brought back, and dropped again. It's also confusing having two yellow heroes, and now the theme is literally back to 2006, with it's mini-scale characters. Plus, it's been proven that BIONICLE IS BACK (http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle), so there's no use in having HF along for the ride. 

Fanboy ranting much? Don't have to be so negative, buddy.

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

i would have voted "banish it from my sight" if it were there. In all honesty, people have different interests and I think LEGO could have done way better with HF.

Being a hypocrite though, I wouldn't particularly mind if HF went on though, you just won't see me  buying any of them.

I enjoyed Hero Factory. It was the first Constraction theme I got interested in, because when I first found out about Bionicle in 2010-11, I thought it was so strange and weird and I didn't understand what was going on. Hero Factory seemed so much more inviting and cool. I enjoyed all the sets I got, and I'm sad it has to go. I would prefer for Bionicle & Hero Factory to somehow alternate waves of sets so they could co-exist, but now that the Facebook page has been deleted, it looks like HF is confirmed to be over. I'm not too upset about it, but I still wish Lego could have found a way to keep both running at the same time.

• Upvote 4

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Maybe they will keep HF as a minifig line(like invasion from below) running alongside with bionicle.

HF was so wrong!! First of all, it had no ability to finish a dang cliffhanger. It's been 2 seasons and we still don't know anything more about the stolen plans (insert rage here). Stringer and Bulk were dropped, brought back, and dropped again. It's also confusing having two yellow heroes, and now the theme is literally back to 2006, with it's mini-scale characters. Plus, it's been proven that BIONICLE IS BACK (http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle), so there's no use in having HF along for the ride. 

Heroes are dropped and brought back because there's no room for all of them in a single saga.

Evo is yellow and Rocka is gold. Are you really confusing Rocka with Evo ? Really ?

Characters are small because if they were regular size, the creatures would be gigantic, not to mention their price.

Lego has runned two constraction themes at the same time in the past, so I see no problem having HF running with Bionicle.

Edited by HoloTheWise
  • Upvote 1

The only way I can see Hero Factory being a part of 2015 is if they drop Chima. It'd be crazy if LEGO kept all three lines running at once.

HF could survive if they are heading along the minifig line, but I cannot see them making yet more titans. So it'll probably be Chima and Bionicle next year.

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

The only way I can see Hero Factory being a part of 2015 is if they drop Chima. It'd be crazy if LEGO kept all three lines running at once.

HF could survive if they are heading along the minifig line, but I cannot see them making yet more titans. So it'll probably be Chima and Bionicle next year.

Seeing as the Chima constraction sets were already cancelled for the United States, which is a pretty significant market, it's strange that you seem convinced Chima will still exist as a constraction theme next year. The System-based Chima sets are confirmed to be continuing in 2015, but the constraction sets are not a very sure bet at all.

Granted, Chima could probably coexist better with BIONICLE than Hero Factory can since the nature of the characters (organic armored anthropomorphized animals) doesn't overlap as much with BIONICLE as the nature of Hero Factory characters (robotic-looking elemental heroes) does. Also, the Chima constraction sets are aimed at a slightly younger audience than typical BIONICLE and Hero Factory sets of the same size, so there'd be less overlap in demographic. But all things considered, I doubt the Chima constraction sets will play any part in the LEGO Group's decision about whether or not to keep Hero Factory going. If Hero Factory is cancelled next year, it will be because the LEGO Group either feels like it's run out of steam or doesn't want it cannibalizing BIONICLE's sales.

Seeing as the Chima constraction sets were already cancelled for the United States, which is a pretty significant market, it's strange that you seem convinced Chima will still exist as a constraction theme next year. The System-based Chima sets are confirmed to be continuing in 2015, but the constraction sets are not a very sure bet at all.

Granted, Chima could probably coexist better with BIONICLE than Hero Factory can since the nature of the characters (organic armored anthropomorphized animals) doesn't overlap as much with BIONICLE as the nature of Hero Factory characters (robotic-looking elemental heroes) does. Also, the Chima constraction sets are aimed at a slightly younger audience than typical BIONICLE and Hero Factory sets of the same size, so there'd be less overlap in demographic. But all things considered, I doubt the Chima constraction sets will play any part in the LEGO Group's decision about whether or not to keep Hero Factory going. If Hero Factory is cancelled next year, it will be because the LEGO Group either feels like it's run out of steam or doesn't want it cannibalizing BIONICLE's sales.

My thoughts were that Bionicle would exist as constraction sets, and Chima would exist in their vehicle form. I do believe both themes are running out of ideas, but Hero Factory is running out faster than Chima.

I believe if either theme were to run alongside Bionicle, Chima would survive, whether they do release constraction sets in the USA next year, or produce new vehicles.

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

I actually think the reason I never bought HF after Bionicle ended was that the sets were so lame. Like Bionicle Stars-esque.

The first ones were indeed (at least, the Stars-sized Heroes were—the villains ranged from slightly more complex to on par with Bionicle titan sets). From the second year onward, though, all the sets were much, much better thanks to the new building system. Hopefully when you get some of the new Bionicle sets that feature that system you'll see what I mean.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I definitely understand you, Aanchir, but what I like about Bionicle was their more complex building style. Sure, the HF click-n-lock system opened HF's age demographic, but it takes ALL OF THE FUN OUT OF BUILDING.

• Upvote 1

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

I definitely understand you, Aanchir, but what I like about Bionicle was their more complex building style. Sure, the HF click-n-lock system opened HF's age demographic, but it takes ALL OF THE FUN OUT OF BUILDING.

Totally depends on your perspective. I have a lot more fun building with the CCBS than with classic BIONICLE parts these days. There's all kinds of creative freedom and not nearly as much frustration with trying to keep a model stylistically consistent, emphasize a particular part of the model, or control the model's proportions.

And besides that, the sets themselves aren't generally any less creative or complex (from a design standpoint) than they used to be. Having to use a generic pin to connect two parts is not really any more complex than connecting the parts directly together, and nowadays the part of the budget that would have been used for pins can instead be used to enhance the build in other ways. Nowadays, when sets use Technic pins and axles, they tend to use them for actual structural and functional uses, not just because no two parts will go together without a pin as an adhesive.

From a procedural standpoint, the need for pins DID add complexity, in that it was an unavoidable obstacle. But that kind of procedural complexity doesn't add a lot to an action figure model, in my opinion. If it did, then the ideal action figure would be something like an Erector/Meccano set that you need special tools to assemble. Just thinking about having to go to such lengths to assemble a LEGO set or MOC makes me feel bored and frustrated.

• Upvote 2

Well, we have gotten a billion images for 2015 sets... No HF!  :bored:

I mean, LEGO is not even trying hard to make HF successful. Probably because they were working on Bionicle at the time. Oh well. HF had a good-ish run  :D Lets all hope LEGO nails Bionicle it its new run!

Click me to see my Youtube Channel!
:t:  :m_o:  :a:   :m_o:  :f:   :s:  :h:  :a:  :m_d:  :m_o:  :w:  :s:

Well, we have gotten a billion images for 2015 sets... No HF! :bored:

I mean, LEGO is not even trying hard to make HF successful. Probably because they were working on Bionicle at the time. Oh well. HF had a good-ish run :D Lets all hope LEGO nails Bionicle it its new run!

But we don't know if there are any Hero Factory sets in 2015 yet. We need proof. Perhaps an announcement from Lego that Hero Factory is ending might work. I mean, it worked on Bionicle in November 2009, so we would probably wait for that this November, according to my calculations since the IFB TV episode didn't go well (which could be the reason why it is not shown in our TV sets). And also, I believe leaked pictures of future Hero Factory sets usually won't come out until until the end of October every year, if I calculate correctly.

Anyway, there are some things unresolved. I mean, we don't know about who the guy that got the Hero Factory plans and the guy that sent the Brain to attack the Hero Factory are. We don't know what will happen next after a cocoon is in the Alpha 1 Team's Dropship in the end of the IFB TV episode, either. And also, what about the anti-Hero-Factory government conspiracy in the cancelled Secret Missions books? What about the live-action Hero Factory movie? I feel it's sad to see them unanswered. If Hero Factory is really ending as we speak, then I hope that the story would wrap up with the Hero Factory fighting against a Villain Factory that the unknown Breakout guy seems to want to use the Hero Factory plans to create. I feel that Hero Factory needs more time for this and perhaps other unresolved things, so it could end. It would also give us small sets similar to Bionicle Stars in 2010 (like Hero Factory Stars can they be called?), in its (future) final wave.

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Well, we have gotten a billion images for 2015 sets... No HF! :bored:

I mean, LEGO is not even trying hard to make HF successful. Probably because they were working on Bionicle at the time. Oh well. HF had a good-ish run :D Lets all hope LEGO nails Bionicle it its new run!

But we don't know if there are any Hero Factory sets in 2015 yet. We need proof. Perhaps an announcement from Lego that Hero Factory is ending might work. I mean, it worked on Bionicle in November 2009, so we would probably wait for that this November, according to my calculations since the IFB TV episode didn't go well (which could be the reason why it is not shown in our TV sets). And also, I believe leaked pictures of future Hero Factory sets usually won't come out until until the end of October every year, if I calculate correctly.

Anyway, there are some things unresolved. I mean, we don't know about who the guy that got the Hero Factory plans and the guy that sent the Brain to attack the Hero Factory are. We don't know what will happen next after a cocoon is in the Alpha 1 Team's Dropship in the end of the IFB TV episode, either. And also, what about the anti-Hero-Factory government conspiracy in the cancelled Secret Missions books? What about the live-action Hero Factory movie? I feel it's sad to see them unanswered. If Hero Factory is really ending as we speak, then I hope that the story would wrap up with the Hero Factory fighting against a Villain Factory that the unknown Breakout guy seems to want to use the Hero Factory plans to create. I feel that Hero Factory needs more time for this and perhaps other unresolved things, so it could end. It would also give us small sets similar to Bionicle Stars in 2010 (like Hero Factory Stars can they be called?), in its (future) final wave.

And here's legos response "since when did we care about hero factorys story, and since when did we care about the fans", sorry to say but hero factory is gonna go.

It's time to move on.

And here's legos response "since when did we care about hero factorys story, and since when did we care about the fans", sorry to say but hero factory is gonna go.

I agree. Hero Factory is most probably gonna be discontinued without Lego caring too much about the loose ends it will have at the end. Just take in count all the resources and effort that is being put on Bionicle 2015, and that HF's story was designed in an episodic way making it easier for kids to jump into it at anytime, and also making it easier to finish when Lego wanted to.

Edited by FikouSpider

I agree. Hero Factory is most probably gonna be discontinued without Lego caring too much about the loose ends it will have at the end. Just take in count all the resources and effort that is being put on Bionicle 2015, and that HF's story was designed in an episodic way making it easier for kids to jump into it at anytime, and also making it easier to finish when Lego wanted to.

I must admit I hated the way lego treated the HF fanbase, HF fans asked for new characters, lego said "nope", HF fans asked for more emphasis on story, lego said "nope", HF fans ask for a more mature HF, lego said "nope". As far as I'm concerned lego killed HF themselves because they were scared of.......what were they scared of again?

Edited by masterchirox580

It's time to move on.

I must admit I hated the way lego treated the HF fanbase, HF fans asked for new characters, lego said "nope", HF fans asked for more emphasis on story, lego said "nope", HF fans ask for a more mature HF, lego said "nope". As far as I'm concerned lego killed HF themselves because they were scared of.......what were they scared of again?

I think you're making a big assumption by thinking that HF fans in general all wanted the same things you did. I didn't particularly want a more mature Hero Factory (not if it meant losing its lighthearted, cartoony tone), and I definitely didn't want more characters (not if it meant more of the established characters falling by the wayside).

As for more emphasis on story? Well, I guess that could have been nice, but it depends on what you mean by emphasis. Making things like the online games more story-driven and putting up more online bios and weapon descriptions is one thing; but spreading the storyline across as many different media as BIONICLE did is a whole different beast.

And saying LEGO "killed" Hero Factory is a little bit presumptuous. The decision to bring back BIONICLE was apparently made about two years ago, after Hero Factory had been going fairly strong for about three years. At that point Hero Factory's fate was pretty much sealed, and it's possible that keeping it running once the BIONICLE theme was ready for launch was never even a goal of theirs. Nevertheless, the LEGO Group's designers kept Hero Factory going and kept bringing new innovations to the table. Personally I think Hero Factory's final year has been one of its best as far as sets are concerned, and the "Invasion from Below" animated episode was great on a visual level even though the writing for it and "Brain Attack" was rather poor.

• Upvote 2

I think you're making a big assumption by thinking that HF fans in general all wanted the same things you did. I didn't particularly want a more mature Hero Factory (not if it meant losing its lighthearted, cartoony tone), and I definitely didn't want more characters (not if it meant more of the established characters falling by the wayside).

As for more emphasis on story? Well, I guess that could have been nice, but it depends on what you mean by emphasis. Making things like the online games more story-driven and putting up more online bios and weapon descriptions is one thing; but spreading the storyline across as many different media as BIONICLE did is a whole different beast.

And saying LEGO "killed" Hero Factory is a little bit presumptuous. The decision to bring back BIONICLE was apparently made about two years ago, after Hero Factory had been going fairly strong for about three years. At that point Hero Factory's fate was pretty much sealed, and it's possible that keeping it running once the BIONICLE theme was ready for launch was never even a goal of theirs. Nevertheless, the LEGO Group's designers kept Hero Factory going and kept bringing new innovations to the table. Personally I think Hero Factory's final year has been one of its best as far as sets are concerned, and the "Invasion from Below" animated episode was great on a visual level even though the writing for it and "Brain Attack" was rather poor.

Well a lot of people wanted hero factory to be more character driven and just deeper in general.

While I don't think it would have been as complicated as say bionicle I would have liked something beyond those little TV specials, although I hear the secret missions books weren't too bad(but there were only six of those anyway).

I doubt HF could have been selling all that great if they decided to cancel it after two and a half years in production, unless I can see some exact sales figures I highly doubt the lego execs would just spontaneously say "hmm HF sales figures are doing really well, I know let's cancel HF and bring back bionicle".

It's time to move on.

I doubt HF could have been selling all that great if they decided to cancel it after two and a half years in production, unless I can see some exact sales figures I highly doubt the lego execs would just spontaneously say "hmm HF sales figures are doing really well, I know let's cancel HF and bring back bionicle".

If a theme is truly unsuccessful and the LEGO Group realizes it, it is discontinued immediately. But this is rare, and applies mostly to abysmal failures like Galidor. Most LEGO themes are discontinued before they have a chance to become unsuccessful. The LEGO Group looks at each theme's sales, predicts how long they should keep them going in order to maximize their profits, and draws a line in the sand, which is only moved if the theme manages to considerably exceed those projected expectations (like Ninjago sales did in 2012, leading to the decision to continue the theme in 2014).

A lot of themes can seem unsuccessful when you compare them to BIONICLE. Exo-Force only lasted two and a half years (from the start of 2006 to the middle of 2008). Power Miners only lasted one and a half years (from the beginning of 2009 to the middle of 2010), though the final wave of sets was split into two waves in North America. Agents really only lasted one year (from the middle of 2008 to the middle of 2009). And Monster Fighters only lasted half a year (from the middle of 2012 to the beginning of 2013). But in truth, all these themes were successful — just not successful enough to last four and a half years like Hero Factory, let alone ten years like BIONICLE.

BIONICLE's nine and a half year run was extraordinary, because it was an extraordinary theme. There are hardly any other themes in the past decade and a half that have continued non-stop for nine and a half years. As far as I can tell, only LEGO Star Wars, LEGO City, LEGO Creator, LEGO Duplo, and LEGO Technic have managed to meet those conditions. And it's no surprise, since like BIONICLE those are some of the LEGO Group's most consistently successful themes. Even LEGO Castle, LEGO Pirates, and LEGO Space, some of the LEGO Group's other "evergreen themes", have each been on hiatus for a year or longer during that time. So treating BIONICLE's astounding longevity as the benchmark for success is ludicrous.

• Upvote 3

IMO HF existed as a 4 year testing ground for the new system for bionicle 2015. It is inevitable that it will be overtaken by bionicle. Lets face it... it would either rip off bionicle in set design...or get completely overtaken. Just look at the 2015 sets. Multi function weapons. Clip on masks with ejection features. GEAR SYSTEM THAT ALLOWS FOR FULL ARTICULATION. Protectors alone easily as innovative as any hero. 

This isn't even accounting for the characters. Tahu vs Furno. Which character is more of a must-have? Nuff said. 

Edited by Prime Axiom
  • Upvote 1

IMO HF existed as a 4 year testing ground for the new system for bionicle 2015. It is inevitable that it will be overtaken by bionicle. Lets face it... it would either rip off bionicle in set design...or get completely overtaken. Just look at the 2015 sets. Multi function weapons. Clip on masks with ejection features. GEAR SYSTEM THAT ALLOWS FOR FULL ARTICULATION. Protectors alone easily as innovative as any hero. 

This isn't even accounting for the characters. Tahu vs Furno. Which character is more of a must-have? Nuff said.

Well, correct me if I am wrong but as long as I know Bionicle was ended in favor of HF because of the overly complicated storyline that Bionicle had, which explains the much simpler story of HF and the episodic nature of it. This probably means that Bionicle 2015, although keeping itself close to the "roots", will probably be also simpler in terms of its new lore. This can be seen already in what we know of the new Bionicle, for example: calling the toa "masters" of their elements so their role is easier to understand for new fans, etc.

Well, correct me if I am wrong but as long as I know Bionicle was ended in favor of HF because of the overly complicated storyline that Bionicle had, which explains the much simpler story of HF and the episodic nature of it. This probably means that Bionicle 2015, although keeping itself close to the "roots", will probably be also simpler in terms of its new lore. This can be seen already in what we know of the new Bionicle, for example: calling the toa "masters" of their elements so their role is easier to understand for new fans, etc.

Correct. Bionicle ended because the story was getting too complicated, and new fans are finding it hard to keep up. The simpler Bionicle story for 2015 is fine by me. They did say they were going to start simple, and then build their world up gradually, I believe. And honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. In my opinion, so long as they go back to the roots of "what it means to be a Toa", I would be more than satisfied. Bionicle portrayed heroism in its characters in a way that HF never managed to rival. I mean, to draw a comparison, year 4 of Bionicle was when we got Lhikan. Very hard to top storytelling on that level. 

My post was specifically referring to the sets. HF, for me, would always just be a transitional phase. I can see why the line was necessary. Without it, Bionicle probably wouldn't have gotten the nice fresh reboot of 2015. We would also probably still be stuck with the Inika build. It was a necessary marketing move. However, I simply couldn't get into the theme: Most people I know bought HF sets for MoCing purposes. I personally bought a red set every wave to support Lego. Very, very few people bought HF sets because "OMG, Furno - I must get him".  

Edited by Prime Axiom
  • Upvote 1

A lot of themes can seem unsuccessful when you compare them to BIONICLE. Exo-Force only lasted two and a half years (from the start of 2006 to the middle of 2008). Power Miners only lasted one and a half years (from the beginning of 2009 to the middle of 2010), though the final wave of sets was split into two waves in North America. Agents really only lasted one year (from the middle of 2008 to the middle of 2009). And Monster Fighters only lasted half a year (from the middle of 2012 to the beginning of 2013). But in truth, all these themes were successful — just not successful enough to last four and a half years like Hero Factory, let alone ten years like BIONICLE.

I hated Power Miners so much because it was just a bunch of guys drilling into the rock monsters homes and fighting them. It was distasteful and I wrote letters to Lego to change or stop the series. And they did.

Edited by bioniclepluslotr
  • Upvote 1

I hated Power Miners so much because it was just a bunch of guys drilling into the rock monsters homes and fighting them. It was distasteful and I wrote letters to Lego to change or stop the series. And they did.

And I'm sure your letters played a big part in that! :rolleyes:

I actually really liked Power Miners. It was a very playful concept for a theme. Rock monsters are creating earthquakes! Drill down and find a way to stop them! Meanwhile, the promotional media made it clear the rock monsters were more mischievous than evil, and any "violence" was incredibly cartoony.

It seemed much better to me in terms of morality than, say, Mars Mission, where we were fighting aliens on a planet that wasn't even our own for a power source that they had CLEARLY already claimed for themselves (all of their ships were already designed to use the energy crystals as fuel, so clearly their mining operations predated ours).

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love it if Hero Factory and Bionicle could coexist side-by-side. Even though the lore of Bionicle was infinitely better than Hero Factory's limited perspective, Hero Factory was when I really got into MOCing (partially because of the unbreakable new joints) and so I hold it in much higher esteem than other themes, say, Chima or NinjaGo.

• Upvote 1

I'd love it if Hero Factory and Bionicle could coexist side-by-side. Even though the lore of Bionicle was infinitely better than Hero Factory's limited perspective, Hero Factory was when I really got into MOCing (partially because of the unbreakable new joints) and so I hold it in much higher esteem than other themes, say, Chima or NinjaGo.

I would also like to see then coexist side by side, it would be a good idea in my opinion. I did like some of the Hero-Factory sets and they did do a good job with names and stuff, but I think it is ending this year because it seems like Bionicle is going to take its place. Just like others have said, I do think that they could have both lines, one with the full size figures and the other one with the mechs.

• Upvote 1