Gali's Voice Actor

Fry

No, she's not. They only have one Voice actor for the videos, is all.

• Upvote 9

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Yes we get it, the narrator is a dude.

everybody clam down

While I think the hysteria about this is obnoxious, I hope this topic stays active and provides a sanctioned place for that hysteria so that maybe, just maybe, all the other discussion threads can get back on track.

• Upvote 12

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It's important to note, too, that some girls do have lower voices, and some guys have higher voices. In this case, though, I agree with the narrator idea, since it could be a tale being told by an elder, much like how some parents/guardians read a story, but only slightly alter their voice for each character

• Upvote 15

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

I'm not really a fan of Gali's voice, but on the other hand I'm not a huge fan of most of them. They either sound ridiculous and forced or too similar to each other. If this were a fully-fledged TV show, that would be a big problem but this is more of a short narration/showcase of the story and its happenings.

I actually hoped Gali would have a voice that would be strong and not super stereotypically wrong. I want her to have the vibe of a hero and be a character that anyone can look to and see that, and not just be a girl to be a girl.

My first impression is that I actually was a fan of Kopaka's voice, more of when he makes that funny joke. I'll listen to it again to be sure about how I feel about it though.

• Upvote 1

I actually hoped Gali would have a voice that would be strong and not super stereotypically wrong. I want her to have the vibe of a hero and be a character that anyone can look to and see that, and not just be a girl to be a girl.

(1) how is this stereotypically wrong

(2) she can still have that vibe AND be a female character?? wow

(3) literally what does "not just be a girl to be a girl" even mean

• Upvote 8

bionicle is trans culture

I want her to have the vibe of a hero and be a character that anyone can look to and see that, and not just be a girl to be a girl.

is it that a single character confirmed to be female out of at least 15 characters total is too much for you, Gunz?

• Upvote 3

(1) how is this stereotypically wrong

(2) she can still have that vibe AND be a female character?? wow

I think you interpreted what I meant!

1) I wasn't saying what Lego did with Gali's voice is stereotypically wrong, I rather meant that it was better what Lego did in contrast with what could've happened. I think it's stereotypically off to give Gali a super squeaky and "girly" voice, when really while women do have less deep voices to men, they aren't as they are often mis-portrayed in media. Squeaky voices for women seem like a stereotype to me.

2)...I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic for some reason. That's a pretty true statement that sadly many don't actually understand. If it sounds overly obvious, sorry, but to some it isn't.

I want her to have the vibe of a hero and be a character that anyone can look to and see that, and not just be a girl to be a girl.

is it that a single character confirmed to be female out of at least 15 characters total is too much for you, Gunz?

3) Whoa, you guys are really misinterpreting what I said. I'm always absolutely ready and happy to see more female characters added to Bionicle, but I like it when their characters are handled in such a way where they are interesting and three-dimmensional where their defining aspects aren't simply that they're female, because there is a lot more to a person that just their gender. I'm very happy with how Gali is being portrayed as a hero with a personality rather than a stereotype of a woman.

I could've worded myself a little better, but I think it's a little much to go ahead and start spitting things out in such a snarky manner. I honestly feel a little upset that you fellows would think I could be so inconsiderate as to feel that I am the way you're coloring me out to be.

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 9

Pohatu's voice was the only one that really annoyed me, the others were all at least okay IMO, for Gali it wouldn't have mattered what the Narrator did, someone would be upset. Kopaka being a clutz is one thing, but the "didn't slip"... I don't think he'll always have that tone ... but probably still going to be his schtick :(

"We have 12 characters, one setting, two scripts, 6 props, and one actor." XD

It also sounds like a rip off of the lord of the rings.

Could you emulate on this please?

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

1) I wasn't saying what Lego did with Gali's voice is stereotypically wrong, I rather meant that it was better what Lego did in contrast with what could've happened. I think it's stereotypically off to give Gali a super squeaky and "girly" voice, when really while women do have less deep voices to men, they aren't as they are often mis-portrayed in media. Squeaky voices for women seem like a stereotype to me.

2)...I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic for some reason. That's a pretty true statement that sadly many don't actually understand. If it sounds overly obvious, sorry, but to some it isn't.

(1) if she did have a high pitched voice then who cares? some women do have high pitched voices. it literally has zero bearing on her character

(2) i was being WAY sarcastic because what you said makes no sense to me. her being a girl is again, something that has no bearing on whether or not she has a heroic vibe at all. the idea that writers arent allowed to "have girls just to have girls" is honestly one of the worst things out there because honestly, it pretty much says that guys are The Default Hero and women have to somehow go through ten thousand hoops to be justified as Making Sense or whatever, especially when so many stories have cruddy, flat, one-dimensional male characters that people swoon over anyway.

Edited by Courtney
  • Upvote 4

bionicle is trans culture

Seriously tho, they all sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Are you serious??????????

I think Ah-nold is significantly less British than any of these voices, which lends credence to the theory that a lot of the hubbub over the voices is largely an issue of many Americans not being able to distinguish between foreign accents.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Seriously tho, they all sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Are you serious??????????

I think Ah-nold is significantly less British than any of these voices, which lends credence to the theory that this is largely an issue of many Americans not being able to distinguish between foreign accents.

I meant he gruffed it up too much.

i was about to reply to the first part of your reply to me, but courtney made the point i was going to make much better than i could've, so i'm going to just second her answer.

I could've worded myself a little better, but I think it's a little much to go ahead and start spitting things out in such a snarky manner. I honestly feel a little upset that you fellows would think I could be so inconsiderate as to feel that I am the way you're coloring me out to be.

your original post made it sound as though you weren't happy with the portrayal of Gali. my bad for misinterpreting.

one other thing:

you fellows

courtney and i are girls. please don't misgender us.

Edited by Arc
  • Upvote 1

i was about to reply to the first part of your reply to me, but courtney made the point i was going to make much better than i could've, so i'm going to just second her answer.

your original post made it sound as though you weren't happy with the portrayal of Gali. my bad for misinterpreting.

one other thing:

you fellows

Lol, 'fellows' can be a term used for females as well. 

• Upvote 8
Political content removed. -B6

(1) if she did have a high pitched voice then who cares? some women do have high pitched voices. it literally has zero bearing on her character

(2) i was being WAY sarcastic because what you said makes no sense to me. her being a girl is again, something that has no bearing on whether or not she has a heroic vibe at all. the idea that writers arent allowed to "have girls just to have girls" is honestly one of the worst things out there because honestly, it pretty much says that guys are The Default Hero and women have to somehow go through ten thousand hoops to be justified as Making Sense or whatever, especially when so many stories have cruddy, flat, one-dimensional male characters that people swoon over anyway.

1) That's true, women do sometimes have high-pitched voices, but it's often seen as a stereotype. I just imagine Gali with a slightly deeper voice. It's not a big deal...

2) The fact that she can be heroic and strong and be a female character.

The problem is is that many seem to get the idea that only males can be heroes, because they're often portrayed as them in media and woman portrayed as "damsels in distress" when this stereotype is not true, and that women can and often are heroes. What I'm saying is that being a girl shouldn't have a bearing on whether they are heroic or not. No one should. A hero should be based on who they are and what they do rather than what gender (and this can be extended to things like race too) they are. What I'm saying is that people shouldn't swoon over one-dimensional characters at all, and that it's often ridiculous how female characters are just thrown in to add variety. They should definitely be there, but also be made to be heroic, inspirational and meaningful, like any good character, regardless of gender should be, which is what I think was done right here with Gali.

Not a problem, I just don't want y'all to get the wrong idea about me. I do realize my initial post was somewhat off in its wording and that caused some misconceptions about how I felt.

one other thing:

you fellows

Mm, I second Borox here, I do believe fellow can refer to someone of either gender, unless I'm mistaken. I don't mean to mis-gender either of you! I just tend to speak that way.

• Upvote 4

The voice didn't sound remotely like a females voice to me, all women I've known with a deep voice still have a different ...intonation? vibrancy? it's hard for me to pin down what, to me watching the videos made it seem (audibly and visually) like they were all being done by a narrator, so that makes it a non-issue to me, there is differentiation in the narrators voice for characters which helps, but they're an aid ...which isn't always necessary, & even when it is, I think it's only required that different characters voices be distinct from one another, sooner or alter people will make the connection.

I can't remember where it was said, but I don't think it's going to be much of an issue parents explaining what gender Gali is...

Toy is a toy, as far as sets go they seem great to me. *shrugs*

Mm, I second Borox here, I do believe fellow can refer to someone of either gender, unless I'm mistaken. I don't mean to mis-gender either of you! I just tend to speak that way.

I'm accustomed to hearing my fellow _'s as gender neutral; but fellows without a qualifier (/it being a qualifier) more often that not being directed at a male (usually [{significantly}] younger than the 'speaker'), but it doesn't strike me as unusual to use it without it stating a gender, just an associate. A few dictionaries appear to agree.

• Upvote 2

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

you fellows

It doesn't matter how you view the term, if it's making someone feel uncomfortable to the point where they ask you not to use it you simply apologize, remember not to use it, and move on. You don't argue.

Regardless, as for the animations themselves, I wasn't off put by the deeper voice. On one hand it's the narrator doing the voices, it's likely more cost efficient for the small screen time, and on the other hand I wouldn't really be off put if Gali did have a lower voice in general. It's not like every woman speaks with the same pitch and intonation.

Edited by Kitania
  • Upvote 3

Regardless, as for the animations themselves, I wasn't off put by the deeper voice. On one hand it's the narrator doing the voices, it's likely more cost efficient for the small screen time, and on the other hand I wouldn't really be off put if Gali did have a lower voice in general. It's not like every woman speaks with the same pitch and intonation.

Gali actually had a fairly deep voice in BIONICLE: Mask of Light, all things considered.

• Upvote 2

Gali actually had a fairly deep voice in BIONICLE: Mask of Light, all things considered.

I'm fine with a deep-voiced Gali. But there's a difference between boy deep voice and girl deep voice. I've gotten used to it, since it is the context of a legend-like narrative, but anywhere else it would seem ridiculous. I wish they had hired just one more voice actor. I'm completely fine with all the other Toa voices, but I should of known Gali was going to sound awkward.

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Pohatu's voice was the only one that really annoyed me, the others were all at least okay IMO, for Gali it wouldn't have mattered what the Narrator did, someone would be upset. Kopaka being a clutz is one thing, but the "didn't slip"... I don't think he'll always have that tone ... but probably still going to be his schtick :(

"Yeah, seriously, is Pohatu a pirate now or something?"

^This was before I rewatched it and realized he had an Australian accent... >.<

Also, "Masta of Wotah!"

Edited by Forgeta

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

It would be more acceptable if it was told as if the Protectors were telling the story but it doesn't come off sounding that way in the end result (due to how characters refer to themselves or how the exchange of dialogue plays out). The only problem I really have is yeah, it may confuse others into thinking that she is indeed a guy. 

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg