How do you feel about the end of Bionicle?

Fry

Personally, despite the cool sets,  and obvious effort to tie into G1 (both set wise, and story wise), I think that it would have been better for Bionicle to remain dead, rather to have been toted around and then cancelled after a measly two years when I think that three were promised. That is just embarrassing, and before someone writes a book about how there have been tons of Lego lines that have lasted only two years or less; yes, I know; this is Bionicle though.

Even if Lego had gone the route they did back in 2000, I'm not sure how much it would have helped; kids don't seem as receptive to that sort of thing as they did back then.

Post thoughts

Seriously, we've got 5-6 topics going on about this right now

But, I suppose I feel more disappointed than anything. Lego told us it would go for three years. If they had made that one last wave, like with G1, no matter how bad it was, it would've been fine with me. I would have bought every last one of them if it really was the end. Instead, they just swiped it away from us without a goodbye.

Edited by Terrorsaur
  • Upvote 5

Disappointed, but I'm not really mad. This appears to be Lego taking a step back to the drawing board. They've said via Twitter that Bionicle may return, and the end of JtO kinda implies it's going to happen; at the end of episode 4, Izotor is talking about how the Toa will return one day, which might tie in to the real world.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Yes. We get it. You didn't like G2. You express this in literally every thread which gives you even the slightest of grounds to do so.

On topic though, I'm extremely disappointed by the end of G2. Not the actual ending itself, but the fact that it is ending. I mean, we were promised at least three years at the onset of the series, and with all the subtle hints at what the future may hold (home planets of the toa, the mysteries around the Vahi, the origin of the Skull army etc etc), G2 could have pulled off a strong five or six years at least if the audience and sales numbers would have been right. Too bad we'll never see that.

I do honestly think G3 will eventually happen, because the state of the entertainment/toy/literally everything industry today ensures that absolutely everything gets rebooted and re-re-booted and remastered and reimagined and rebooted again. G3 will be a thing, I'm sure, but it will probably be a thing a good decade in the future or so  <_<

Either way, the positive side of this is that it will be easy to complete my G2 collection...

Actually no, there is no positive side. Even the above sentence leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Yes, G2 had some undeniable flaws, but I liked it for what it was and what it was trying to do. The sets were great and while the story wasn't as deep as the latter years of G1, all the content we've gotten makes it far far far away from "shallow" or "simple". 

All in all, G2 was great and I'm extremely sad to see it go. This whole thing is made all the much worse for the G2 hater crowd practically celebrating. Disgusting.

:kakama:

• Upvote 5

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I feel disappointed, but not betrayed. I had expected Bionicle to get at least one more wave of sets, and it seems like it was originally going to, but was cut short, so I can't help but feel a bit bummed about that.

For me, the past two years of Bionicle have been absolutely worth it. Some of the sets are easily some of my favorite constraction sets of all time, and even if the story was held back in some ways by a limited budget, there was such a sense of awe and wonder in seeing these characters and concepts from my childhood freshly reimagined. The designers clearly poured their heart and soul into making the characters feel iconic, packed with personality, and respectful of their roots. The art directors did a great job making Okoto beautiful and mysterious. And the writers clearly worked hard to recreate that mythic tone of the early years of Bionicle without making it feel too stuffy or pretentious. Since the return of the line was announced in October 2014, I have made many valuable connections with both Bionicle designers and fellow Bionicle fans, and it's comforting to know that these connections will outlive the theme itself.

I am left wondering what the future of the constraction category and of BZPower will be. Best case scenario, the new status quo will encourage BZPower members to either discuss other sorts of LEGO themes or express their love of Bionicle through creative works, though with how both the creative forums and non-Bionicle discussion here have stagnated over the years, that's probably not realistic.

As far as the community is concerned, I'm happy that things have mellowed out a bit since yesterday when the announcement was made. There are fewer accusations of LEGO not trying or not caring floating around, and fewer people who hated G2 jumping down other fans' throats saying "I told you so". There's certainly a lot less chaos than when Bionicle G1 ended. And even in communities like Brickset that have sometimes been quite hostile to Bionicle fans in the past, I can't help but feel that the reactions there have been somewhat more compassionate than I'm accustomed to (Facebook's a bit of a different story — in one of my groups somebody commented something along the lines of "I hope Ninjago and Chima are next", evidently not realizing that Chima's been done for like a year now and Ninjago is evergreen).

Overall, the feeling that something I love is ending is a feeling I'm more than used to by now. I've seen so many book series, LEGO themes, TV series, and movie series to their conclusion over the years, and while I won't say I'm numb or that I don't feel anything, I do feel it's emotionally prepared me for things like this. As important as LEGO and Bionicle are to me, as many of my friendships have sprung out of them, it's not like losing a friend or a family member. Particularly since so much of what I've gained from Bionicle lives on.

• Upvote 4

I feel disappointed, but not betrayed. I had expected Bionicle to get at least one more wave of sets, and it seems like it was originally going to, but was cut short, so I can't help but feel a bit bummed about that.

For me, the past two years of Bionicle have been absolutely worth it. Some of the sets are easily some of my favorite constraction sets of all time, and even if the story was held back in some ways by a limited budget, there was such a sense of awe and wonder in seeing these characters and concepts from my childhood freshly reimagined. The designers clearly poured their heart and soul into making the characters feel iconic, packed with personality, and respectful of their roots. The art directors did a great job making Okoto beautiful and mysterious. And the writers clearly worked hard to recreate that mythic tone of the early years of Bionicle without making it feel too stuffy or pretentious. Since the return of the line was announced in October 2014, I have made many valuable connections with both Bionicle designers and fellow Bionicle fans, and it's comforting to know that these connections will outlive the theme itself.

I am left wondering what the future of the constraction category and of BZPower will be. Best case scenario, the new status quo will encourage BZPower members to either discuss other sorts of LEGO themes or express their love of Bionicle through creative works, though with how both the creative forums and non-Bionicle discussion here have stagnated over the years, that's probably not realistic.

As far as the community is concerned, I'm happy that things have mellowed out a bit since yesterday when the announcement was made. There are fewer accusations of LEGO not trying or not caring floating around, and fewer people who hated G2 jumping down other fans' throats saying "I told you so". There's certainly a lot less chaos than when Bionicle G1 ended. And even in communities like Brickset that have sometimes been quite hostile to Bionicle fans in the past, I can't help but feel that the reactions there have been somewhat more compassionate than I'm accustomed to (Facebook's a bit of a different story — in one of my groups somebody commented something along the lines of "I hope Ninjago and Chima are next", evidently not realizing that Chima's been done for like a year now and Ninjago is evergreen).

Overall, the feeling that something I love is ending is a feeling I'm more than used to by now. I've seen so many book series, LEGO themes, TV series, and movie series to their conclusion over the years, and while I won't say I'm numb or that I don't feel anything, I do feel it's emotionally prepared me for things like this. As important as LEGO and Bionicle are to me, as many of my friendships have sprung out of them, it's not like losing a friend or a family member. Particularly since so much of what I've gained from Bionicle lives on.

I wasn't active on fan forums at the time of G1's end so I don't know how well people took that news. But I am glad to see some calm in the Lego fan community. Even Huw on Brickset who has openly criticized Bionicle before; now seems to be rather polite and respectful as he has discussed the end of the line on his website. I give him respect in how he let The Brick Pal and TheOneVeryonian review Bionicle sets on Brickset, despite the fact that Huw (like Dorek to) knew very well that the line's end was near after the fan media day in Billund.

And seeing Bionicle is a toy line, it is still very much with us. G2 gave me an opportunity to relieve my childhood. I gave up on G1 in 2007, so getting to come back to something I haven't collected in eight years was fun. Seeing Tahu and Crew in new forms was a blast. My G2 sets are proudly displayed with my G1 sets, and I hope to continue MOCcing G2esque stuff for some more time.

I do feel sorry for the FOL's who are saying "they are stopping any association with Lego." Disavowing Lego completely over one product line seems silly to me. Lego is offering more and more sets aimed for collectors, from the high end Modular Buildings, Technic, Architecture, and many of the D2C sets. For me getting Bionicle back in the same era was icing on the cake! Speaking for myself, I will continue collecting Lego Star Wars, Marvel, Trains, and the best D2C sets. I might pick up a Star Wars CCBS set from time to time, but I will be here waiting for someday the perhaps the return of Bionicle once again.

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Upvote 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Actually no, there is no positive side.

On the contrary, some good may come of this. If Bionicle was failing, that means the sets weren't performing well enough. Lego would seem to be returning to the drawing board, which could mean we'll get even better sets this time around. I just hope they keep poseable waists. And who knows what else Lego will try to improve? Worst case scenario, they try to hard and have to put the theme on hiatus again. Don't get me wrong, I'm just as bummed out as the next guy, especially since many of G2's sets were leagues ahead of most G1 sets, but just remember:

[that Monty Python song I can't post because it has bad words, CONFOUND THE NATURE OF THIS FANDOM AND ITS SUBSEQUENT FORUM RULES]

All in all, G2 was great and I'm extremely sad to see it go. This whole thing is made all the much worse for the G2 hater crowd practically celebrating. Disgusting.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

People who disagree with your opinion are disgusting? 

Edited by Jaek_3

He's saying it's disgusting that you're practically rubbing it in our faces that G2 is done.

• Upvote 7

From the way the post is phrased, I'd say it's not disliking G2 that's disgusting, but rather celebrating its cancellation when a lot of people are clearly sad about it. People who disliked Bionicle G2 are no better off now that it's cancelled than they were when it was still running, but people who loved Bionicle G2 certainly at least feel worse off now that it's cancelled.

How would you feel if something you love was cancelled, and other people acted as if the cancellation was a great thing and the thing you loved never should have existed in the first place? Whatever their intentions, it comes across as mean and petty.

• Upvote 7

How would you feel if something you love was cancelled, and other people acted as if the cancellation was a great thing and the thing you loved never should have existed in the first place?

I honestly wouldn't care in the slightest, it happens litterally all the time

How would you feel if something you love was cancelled, and other people acted as if the cancellation was a great thing and the thing you loved never should have existed in the first place?

I honestly wouldn't care in the slightest, it happens litterally all the time

But there are people here who have feelings towards Bionicle, feelings you love to spit at.

• Upvote 1

IhDIrLK.jpg

Read my comment again. The whole thing.

No. I have no problem with someone disliking G2. I have no problem with someone openly disliking G2.

Actually, I'm more than happy to agree to disagree with people who outright hate G2 but are still capable of acting like civilised human beings, and have enough gray matter in their skulls to convey their opinion in a civilised manner.

This isn't about the opinion, but the way of conveying the opinion. I'll find someone who agrees with me but does it in an uncivilised manner equally disgusting. I'm all for opinions. I even wrote as much in the thread accompanying the news post.

So no, people who disagree with me are not disgusting.

People who actively derive pleasure of joy from taking the cancellation of a toy line that others enjoyed and were passionate about, and makes it their freaking mission to spew how things are better for the cancellation of said toy line are absolutely disgusting.

Your response either means you're one of said people, or probably haven't finished grade school, since this really is like grade 3-4 reading comprehension here.

You're welcome to think G2 wasn't good. You're welcome to voice your negative opinion on G2. You're absolutely not ###### welcome to hurl up a post in every thread dealing with the end of G2 along the lines of "good riddance".

Edited by Pohaturon
  • Upvote 6

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I was very bitter about the line, especially on its last year. Though I was completed shocked and disappointed when seeing the announcement, I had no idea bionicle was doing THAT bad. Now that it's gone, I feel deeply guilty about not appreciating the line while it was here, but there was just not too much to appreciate. G2 was a learning experience for us all. And I may have been a hater, but I'm really NOT celebrating.

• Upvote 4

I am a bit disappointed to see it go. I wasn't very drawn to Gen 2 but it was nice to see new sets come out and bring me down memory lane. I figured it wasn't doing too well as it seemed to be the only sets that were ever on sale in any toy store I went into.

Edited by Reya